Gun Vote " Shameful Day," Obama Says

webfact

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People perform the acts of violence. In mass shootings of recent vintage it has shown to be mentally ill people of long standing and solid documentation who were not taken off the streets. Get these people confined and the mass shootings will be few and far between.

So to protect one Constitutionally guaranteed "Right" you are suggesting we sacrifice some others?

In the US, the police cannot simply take "off the street" every person who has seen a mental health professional.

Obama is right !

No, the guy doesn't even have a clue.

Ohhh ok. Obama does t have a clue. There is no problem here, quick look over there. wink.png

Just stating a fact. How many of his press conferences began by him stating he didn't know something was wrong, until he heard it from the media? Apparently his guy Rahm in Chicago isn't getting very good handle on the situation either.

Granted, some people that shouldn't have, slipped through, and legally purchased firearms. But, even if that supply is completely shut down, there are far too many stolen weapons in circulation. That's what many on this forum don't understand, or like the politicians, choose to ignore, and make politically correct statements that have little to do with reality.

• Like 2

Restrict the sale and manufacture of ammunition is an easy answer because it would not require any change to the constitution. It wouldn't solve everything as someone could still club a person to death with an empty .45.

• Like 1

Obama is right !

No, the guy doesn't even have a clue.

Obama was elected because he promised not to kill foreigners in foreign countries.

Obama is a disgrace, he's authorized more kills than George W.

Obama isn't the solution, Obama is the problem.

@Notmyself.

I make my own ammo.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-presses/progressive-presses/

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Sorry... When available I use universally accepted forum quote etiquette. Quotes within forum should be enclosed in a quote box. Quotes from outside the forum should be indented and in red if a link is provided and blue if there is no link. The idea is to make posts on forums more legible to people. Given the maximum of six quote boxes on TV it makes perfect sense to use it regardless of the fact it is available. I should perhaps take this up with the support desk.

Anyway.

@Notmyself.

I make my own ammo.

You manufacture your own ammo.

This is on topic" Nothing will change in US on gun law until the people that decide these issues .right up to the supreme court" interpret the 2nd amendment exactlly as it was written. And that does not allow the right to bear arms as an individual

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is on topic" Nothing will change in US on gun law until the people that decide these issues .right up to the supreme court" interpret the 2nd amendment exactlly as it was written. And that does not allow the right to bear arms as an individual

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You say interpret it to exactly what was written?

Yet the Founding Fathers were very careful to construct this sentence

in such a manner that there could be no other reasonable interpretation besides the obvious.

Many seem to assume a "militia" means the National guard it does not

At the time of writing it meant well trained.But more importantly after the comma

that follows it does not say the right of the militia it states the right of the people.

But that is all besides the point.

The 2nd amendment was not written to grant the right as it already existed.

It was written to prevent any future incarnations of the government from infringing upon it.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

What is it with Americans and their guns?

Seems like every couple of weeks there is a new thread about 'where can I buy a gun' or 'what visa do I need to buy a gun' etc. etc. I don't recall any one of them having been started by a non American.

The American insane passion for firearms reminds me of a fixed price buffet. The idea is to eat as much as you would like and not eat as much as you can. Same with guns... I can have one so I must have one.

Edited by notmyself

Seems like every couple of weeks there is a new thread about 'where can I buy a gun' or 'what visa do I need to buy a gun' etc. etc. I don't recall any one of them having been started by a non American.

The American insane passion for firearms reminds me of a fixed price buffet. The idea is to eat as much as you would like and not eat as much as you can. Same with guns... I can have one so I must have one.

It seems others are also interested in guns:

(Foreigner Arrested with Guns in Phuket)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729779-foreigner-arrested-with-guns-in-phuket/?hl=%2Baustralian+%2Barrested

(Gun-toting Aussie Tourist nabbed..)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/729779-foreigner-arrested-with-guns-in-phuket/?hl=%2Baustralian+%2Barrested

Would any American who believes anyone can have a gun feel the same why when some retard has just blown out his brains.

If "Mr. Retard" could kill with a gun, he could also kill with a knife, baseball bat, car, m/c, etc.

The place for the criminally insane is somewhere safe and secure, where they can neither harm themselves not anyone else.

Not free to wander, and free to harm others.

It seems others are also interested in guns:

(Foreigner Arrested with Guns in Phuket)

(Gun-toting Aussie Tourist nabbed..)

Indeed but I never claimed it was an absolute.

If "Mr. Retard" could kill with a gun, he could also kill with a knife, baseball bat, car, m/c, etc.

The place for the criminally insane is somewhere safe and secure, where they can neither harm themselves not anyone else.

Not free to wander, and free to harm others.

I'm not sure putting a roof over the entire US is practical and those who do not wish to own guns would be penalised too. There has to be another way such as restricting the sale and manufacture of ammo... Not like it will make things worse is it?

• Like 1

Gotta love The Onion:

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
NEWS IN BRIEFGunsViolenceNewsISSUE 50•21May 27, 2014
700.hq.jpg?7232

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

• Like 2

Gotta love The Onion:

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens
NEWS IN BRIEFGunsViolenceNewsISSUE 50•21May 27, 2014
700.hq.jpg?7232

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Let's see ... the Perp -- was a bit psychotic and a spoiled brat - killed his 3 friends with a knife -- then went on a rampage with a BMW killed one more and injured others with the car and then shot and killed 3 with a gun... And somehow this is a total gun crime and the focus should not be on the pharmacologically dependent spoiled psychotic brat but on guns .... and what about that knife and the car --- weapons of violence -- LET'S BAN KNIVES and CARS and well.... the poor perp he was killed too -- wannananananananannanaaaaaaaannnnnaaaaaa

• Like 1

Let's see ... the Perp -- was a bit psychotic and a spoiled brat - killed his 3 friends with a knife -- then went on a rampage with a BMW killed one more and injured others with the car and then shot and killed 3 with a gun... And somehow this is a total gun crime and the focus should not be on the pharmacologically dependent spoiled psychotic brat but on guns .... and what about that knife and the car --- weapons of violence -- LET'S BAN KNIVES and CARS and well.... the poor perp he was killed too -- wannananananananannanaaaaaaaannnnnaaaaaa

Let me see...

Oh, an equivalence fallacy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

False equivalence is a logical fallacy which describes a situation where there is a logical and apparent equivalence, but when in fact there is none. It would be the antonym of the mathematical concept of material equivalence.

A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result. In other words, correlation does not mean causation. The pattern of the fallacy is often as such: If A is the set of c and d, and B is the set of d and e, then since they both contain d, A and B are equal. It should be noted though that d existing in both sets is not required, only a passing similarity is required to cause this fallacy to be able to be used.

Knives are used a multitude of everyday tasks and when you put two together you have something able to cut things... Scissors. Cars or rather vehicles are used to transport people and goods in a rapid and efficient manner. Guns are used for hunting and how many of the mass killers have done any of that? How many people have died at the hands of someone who have never been hunting and it is not the reason why they have the gun in the first place?

Knives in America are used more often to kill others than guns ... such a stark comparison -- don't you think? But denial is denial for liberals / leftists ... who only think in emotion and not fact and who work so hard to fuzzy up the facts...

Like I say, false equivalence. The root purpose of a knife is to cut though it can be used to kill a living creature. The root purpose of a vehicle is to move goods and people though it can be used to kill a living creature. What is the root purpose of a gun?

• Like 1

Knives in America are used more often to kill others than guns ... such a stark comparison -- don't you think? But denial is denial for liberals / leftists ... who only think in emotion and not fact and who work so hard to fuzzy up the facts...

Like I say, false equivalence. The root purpose of a knife is to cut though it can be used to kill a living creature. The root purpose of a vehicle is to move goods and people though it can be used to kill a living creature. What is the root purpose of a gun?

To protect yourself from nuts armed with cars and knives?

And one question for you to answer.

If all seven of the killed were carrying guns along with every bystander, how many do you think he would have got?

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

To shoot. It can be used for targets, animals or human beings. No "false equivalence" there.

To shoot. It can be used for targets, animals or human beings. No "false equivalence" there.

There is because the weapons he had were designed specifically for killing people. It's why a range of military and police forces around the world use them. The other uses are secondary in this case.

• Like 1

No.. 'to shoot' is what it does. Is the purpose of Madam Guillotine simply to cut?

To protect yourself from nuts armed with cars and knives?

Which would involve killing no doubt.

And one question for you to answer.

If all seven of the killed were carrying guns along with every bystander, how many do you think he would have got?

So the answer to the US gun problem is more guns? Wow.

It's interesting that UG mentioned hunting because this is where the second amendment began. Hunting with guns was reserved for the elite and the 2nd guarantees the right for anyone to hunt with firearms. By the time it was written everyone was doing it anyway but people wanted the right to be written into law because they did not trust 'just' being able to. It was not written with the intent of letting people wonder into a fast food joint with a semi automatic rifle.