Tesco To Pull Out Of The Usa - Thailand To Follow?

easyas

Tesco has announced that following a disastrous foray into USA it is divesting itself of Its Free & Easy chain at a loss of some 1.2 billion pounds. In addition to its U.S. retail flop, Tesco has struggled with Eurozone stability and a scandal surrounding horse meat-tainted beef. The company said last year that it would pull out of Japan and is dealing with unfavorable regulations in South Korea. It has also said that other markets would be critically examined. Thailand next for the chop?

Fresh and Easy are small grocery stores , not like Tesco Lotus, more like the size of Foodland ,

they have not done well, the one by my friends house in Santa Ana , California closed a year ago ,

I have only been to them a few times as they are not close to me, but prices were just OK and selection was low compared to the full size grocery markets.

No great lose and nothing to do with Tesco Lotus

The US is a very difficult market to break into, Sainsbury's tried some years ago, they also pulled out.

-

Very hard to compete with Walmart and Costco on the one hand, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's on the other, all very very efficiently run enabling profits on razor-thin margins due to very sophisticated use of ICT and supply-chain logistics. In Walmart's case also ruthless treatment of its staff, somehow the latter two manage to be somewhat more reasonable by yankish standards.

Sales in 2012 of over USD $440 billion, larger than Thailand's entire GDP; if it were a country it would be #25 by GDP, right around Norway.

Walmart has over 2.1 million employees, more than the populations of Birmingham, Liverpool and Leeds combined, and serves 200 million a week from 9,600 shops in 95 countries, with a total store area of 34 square miles, larger than Hong Kong island.

Walmart alone was responsible for 11% of the growth of the total U.S. trade deficit with China between 2001 and 2006, eliminating nearly 200,000 US jobs in that period.

Not saying any of this is good or bad, just sayin'. . .

• Like 1

Walmart has over 2.1 million employees, more than the populations of Birmingham, Liverpool and Leeds combined, and serves 200 million a week from 9,600 shops in 95 countries, with a total store area of 34 square miles, larger than Hong Kong island.

wow that's amazing (seriously)

Fresh and Easy are small grocery stores , not like Tesco Lotus, more like the size of Foodland ,

they have not done well, the one by my friends house in Santa Ana , California closed a year ago ,

I have only been to them a few times as they are not close to me, but prices were just OK and selection was low compared to the full size grocery markets.

No great lose and nothing to do with Tesco Lotus

Nothing to do with Tesco Lotus? Same owners not enough for you?

There are also plenty of Tesco Lotus Express stores which are about the size of Foodland outlets and many of these offer only a limited range of products and services.

The US is a very difficult market to break into, Sainsbury's tried some years ago, they also pulled out.

-

Very hard to compete with Walmart and Costco on the one hand, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's on the other, all very very efficiently run enabling profits on razor-thin margins due to very sophisticated use of ICT and supply-chain logistics. In Walmart's case also ruthless treatment of its staff, somehow the latter two manage to be somewhat more reasonable by yankish standards.

Sales in 2012 of over USD $440 billion, larger than Thailand's entire GDP; if it were a country it would be #25 by GDP, right around Norway.

Walmart alone was responsible for 11% of the growth of the total U.S. trade deficit with China between 2001 and 2006, eliminating nearly 200,000 US jobs in that period.

Ill call it as 'bad' FunFon

US companies used to put back into their communities; small towns across America relied on them. LBOs changed that landscape dramatically with tens of thousands of companies being bought out, stripped of assets, loaded with debt and left to die. Communities suffered, jobs were lost.

US companies used to put back into their communities; small towns across America relied on them. LBOs changed that landscape dramatically with tens of thousands of companies being bought out, stripped of assets, loaded with debt and left to die. Communities suffered, jobs were lost.

-

Yes but that's just the way the world is these days isn't it?

On the other side, lower prices do help poor families survive in the States - 8 cents of every dollar spent there is spent at Wal-mart.

And it's helped increase the standard of living of millions of Chinese, and surely that's a good thing?

-

Yes but that's just the way the world is these days isn't it?

On the other side, lower prices do help poor families survive in the States - 8 cents of every dollar spent there is spent at Wal-mart.

And it's helped increase the standard of living of millions of Chinese, and surely that's a good thing?

Helped ncrease the standard of living of millions of Chinese, maybe.

But at the expense of tens of millions in the Western world?

How much does USA owe China these days?

If Tesco pulled out of Pattaya it would be no loss ,empty shelves ,no western food for months now(this in a town with a large western population) also often out of Thai products we used to spend about 10k a month now about 1k if this is the future for them here in Thailand ,best of luck ,oh their fruit and veg is crap as well.

• Like 1

Tesco are horrible in the UK, trying to take over everywhere pretty much! Over in Thailand though, the shelves are always bare and they never have what I want so I rarely shop there these days.

I doubt they'll pull out of Thailand though.

If Tesco pulled out of Pattaya it would be no loss ,empty shelves ,no western food for months now(this in a town with a large western population) also often out of Thai products we used to spend about 10k a month now about 1k if this is the future for them here in Thailand ,best of luck ,oh their fruit and veg is crap as well.

I agree about the fruit and veg. The 'fresh' stuff is probably sprayed out os hours to make it look fresh, as it is in the UK. The potatoes are often as soft as sponges. They will never beat our local market fro fresh meat, veg. and fruit.

I know that 7/11 is in a different market but it's Thai run and they usually manage to keep their stock up and do so without effectively closing down several aisles.

Edited by Morden

Let's hope they don't pull out of Thailand as that would leave us with only one Supermarket , and when I see what they have on offer now than I can't see it improve if they had a complete monopoly.

They are the only local supermarket here so I'd rather they stayed and smartened up their act. However I see no sign of top management here sorting out the problems. They've had long enough now. On the other hand, we can still get to BigC, Makro and others once our needs justify the trip.

Bread and milk are other products where they fail to keep up stocks. They seem to clear out the old bread long before a new supply arrives. Their bread is rubbish anyway. My favourite milk is often missing too.

• Like 1

-

Trader Joe's in Thailand sounds good to me,good selection and good service....I can dream can't I?

Wal-Mart would love it here, Famous for abusing employees...only 300 THB per day! Like I said, Wal-Mart would love it here!

These Euro based stores don't cut the mustard for those use to American quality and selection. But you will never get American quality and service for Thai wages!

Edited by willyumiii

-

Trader Joe's in Thailand sounds good to me,good selection and good service....I can dream can't I?

Wal-Mart would love it here, Famous for abusing employees...only 300 THB per day! Like I said, Wal-Mart would love it here!

These Euro based stores don't cut the mustard for those use to American quality and selection. But you will never get American quality and service for Thai wages!

They don't cut it for European quality, service and selection either!

I hope that, if Walmart ever come here, that they don't encourage the dress styles apparently common in their US stores. See the website 'People of Walmart'.

Make to much money here so doubtfull, grotty places to shop. Shame Carrefore pulled out

Technically they didn't pullout, BigC bought them. A french company buy another french company.

Tesco choice is so third world and industrial! :sick:

Indeed. It's such a shame, because in the UK they are pretty good...

In a word No.

Whey would they pull out of a place where they can do just as they please?!

Hmmm? Being tied in with Lotus,are you sure about that? (I take it we are talking about their position in Thailand and not the USA?

Edited by MAJIC

At the last count Tesco had worldwide almost 4,000 Superstores,so closing down a few hundred wouldn't dent the profits in a big way.Think about it,do they ever do the consumers any favours?

And my pet hate is : they have a policy in the UK, every major roundabout approaching cities (from various angles) and on the outskirts of Major towns and roundabouts,should have a Tesco.And when they move in they suck the towns small businesses dry,and long standing family businesses pull down the shutters.

Stuff em! I will not lose any sleep and I couldn't care less if they went bankrupt, and closed down the lot....................Worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Porter

Edited by MAJIC