Exhaust Selection

I should have my 14R before the end of May, and the pontoon-boat stock cans definitely have to go- they were made to comply with both US and European emissions and sound requirements, but they add a huge amount of mass (and visual bulk) to the bike and contributes quite a bit to its porky 585lb wet-weight:

post-176811-0-89603500-1366328183_thumb.

At first I was going to go the easy route and choose a pair of Graves slip-ons, which would drop about 20lbs while retaining the stock header and adding 3-4hp, and wouldn't require remapping via a PC-V- they also look really nice:

post-176811-0-21186500-1366328727_thumb.

In the end, though, I decided to go for the manufacturer that knows this particular bike better than anyone, and chose Brock's Performance. I wanted their CT system, but it was just too loud- they recently developed a quieter version (that's within 1hp of the original version) so I decided to order it. It's not as pretty as full CF, but the guy who makes them has more faith in titanium (though he relented a bit and added a CF tip). With the titanium header, the entire system weighs about 9lbs, which will drop 31lbs overall, and (with the installation of a PC-V, which will come pre-mapped so I don't have to get it dyno-tuned) it will add 15-20hp (I'd like to say 20hp, but I would imagine the local gas quality will cost a few ponies)- I don't love the short look, but I can't pass up the increased weight savings and performance (and, while I know the bike doesn't 'need' more power, I can't resist the urge;)). Best case would be ~210hp at the wheel at 550lbs wet (I'll be dropping a few more pounds with some other mods- the fender elimination alone will drop another 2lbs):

post-176811-0-48195300-1366329434_thumb.

I like the brocks version best.

The fact that it also performs best is the bonus.

Overall it is just a much cleaner,compact design

Hard to tell but is the Brock a 4 into 1 design then?

If so better yet IMHO

Also while I like carbons look I agree with Brock that Titanium is much

more hardy especially when cans are getting as large as the graves you

had a picture of.

If so better yet IMHO

had a picture of.

They make both a 4-into-1 and a 4-into-2 with that system- I'm getting the 4-into-1 for the weight savings, though that will leave the left side exhaust hanger empty (note in the passenger pegs have been removed in the pic- I'm keeping mine).

I kind of surprised everyone likes the Brock's better than the Graves (which I thought looked great;)).

• Like 1

Looks best with the Brocks, for sure. I'll have to check and see what they have for the VFR. My girl is also a bit heavy and could stand to lose a few pounds. Wow, 210 rwhp, what a rocket. Congratulations.

He makes a couple systems for the 1000RR (including the same exhaust I'm getting for the Kawi), but I don't believe he makes one for the VFR.

I'm also going to grab a set of Spiegler braided steel brake lines (sold through Brock's) as they make a set specific to the 14R with ABS, which are tough to find, and I'll add a set EBC HH brake pads which will hopefully knock a couple feet off the 60-0 braking distance.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I prefer the looks of the graves but only just, the brocks looks pretty badass. Not sure if you need an extra 20bhp on a 14R though!! haha

Yeah, it doesn't need it, but I can't let the opportunity to increase it a bit go by.

The next thing will be an ECU re-flash, which will open the flies 2500rpm earlier, add 500rpm to the redline, and remove the limiter- it doesn't increase peak hp, but can open up another 20hp in the midrange and cause the engine to spool up much faster- the only issue is that the ECU itself has to be sent in, and I'm hesitant to do it from Thailand- I'll bring it with me the next time I visit the States rather than ship it.

They make both a 4-into-1 and a 4-into-2 with that system- I'm getting the 4-into-1 for the weight savings, though that will leave the left side exhaust hanger empty (note in the passenger pegs have been removed in the pic- I'm keeping mine).

I kind of surprised everyone likes the Brock's better than the Graves (which I thought looked great;)).

Yes just noticed the design of the original hanger/passenger pegs.

Sure someone will come up with something more compact ( kind of surprised Brock doesn't offer them )

but until then you could run the stock ones.

I am not surprised most like the Brock it is modern GP looking

where as the large/longish carbon cans are a bit retro already

Edited by mania

If so better yet IMHO

had a picture of.

I've always seen Grave's as pro-Yamaha and Brocks as pro-Kawasaki. The Brocks system is pretty well 'state of the art' package for the consumer.

I may have to look at the Brocks too. I ordered the muzzy megaphone already but just got a email saying "45-60 days delivery time". Is this normal from these companies?

Did they say if they had it on the shelf? Your bike might an older model (?) and maybe made to order.

I may have to look at the Brocks too. I ordered the muzzy megaphone already but just got a email saying "45-60 days delivery time". Is this normal from these companies?

Did they say if they had it on the shelf? Your bike might an older model (?) and maybe made to order.

My bike is a 2013 but 2010-2013 are the same. I didnt ask if it was in stock just ordered from jcmotors as they had it on sale.

The same thing happened when I looked into the Graves- it was a three-week wait if I used a distributor that didn't have stock on hand, but other places had it on the shelf- someone probably has the Muzzy system, and I bet they would match prices.

Here's the link to Brock's Performance- they don't make systems for every bike, though:

http://www.brocksperformance.com/

Beware. My thai brother-in-law works for the Department of Transportation (licenses and vehicle registrations). He said that starting in August, all motorcycles five years old or more will have to be inspected at the DOT, with this new procedure: A sound meter will check the decibel level of the exhaust and feed directly into their computers. If they do not have the sound file or if it is too loud, the computer software will not issue the new registration. I supposed somebody could substitute a different motorcycle for a pay-off.

Frankly, with all the ridiculously loud Harley's out there, this policy does not totally break my heart.

I am a little worried about the Scorpion exhaust on my ER6n as it is considerably louder than stock. You would be advised to keep you stock system and all the mounting hardware, as you may find that you have to put it back on for the test. RSD has another five years before he has to worry, but I am in year four already.

I was a little taken aback by the new policy as I had heard nothing about it. BIL came for a visit over Songkran and ask me about some English in the new DOT software. I asked him why there was all this stuff about sound meters and decibels and he explained the new policy to me. He said there was no way to defeat the software.

No worries there as I paid extra for the 'QuietKore' system which is only a couple dB louder than stock- the sound is deep but not obnoxious (I would not have bought a loud pipe)- like you said, though, it's five years away.

I'll be keeping all stock parts regadless.

BTW, Y99- Brock's makes a couple stainless systems for your bike.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Beware. My thai brother-in-law works for the Department of Transportation (licenses and vehicle registrations). He said that starting in August, all motorcycles five years old or more will have to be inspected at the DOT, with this new procedure: A sound meter will check the decibel level of the exhaust and feed directly into their computers. If they do not have the sound file or if it is too loud, the computer software will not issue the new registration. I supposed somebody could substitute a different motorcycle for a pay-off.

Frankly, with all the ridiculously loud Harley's out there, this policy does not totally break my heart.

I am a little worried about the Scorpion exhaust on my ER6n as it is considerably louder than stock. You would be advised to keep you stock system and all the mounting hardware, as you may find that you have to put it back on for the test. RSD has another five years before he has to worry, but I am in year four already.

I was a little taken aback by the new policy as I had heard nothing about it. BIL came for a visit over Songkran and ask me about some English in the new DOT software. I asked him why there was all this stuff about sound meters and decibels and he explained the new policy to me. He said there was no way to defeat the software.

This inspection has been in place for years unless its something new. 5 years for bikes 7 for cars. If its the same nothing to worry about ;]

I'm guessing a few hundred baht will defeat the software.

Yankee, start the 600RR thread - I think there are a lot of people on here interested in how that turns out. My personal experience with a similar bike has been great. Don't even have to wait for a basic service (oil/filter etc) and 3 days for a valve/compression check smile.png

This inspection has been in place for years unless its something new. 5 years for bikes 7 for cars. If its the same nothing to worry about ;]

The new thing is the decibel meter and computer software that precludes registration if the sound pressure exceeds a certain level.

The new thing is the decibel meter and computer software that precludes registration if the sound pressure exceeds a certain level.

Always tested the sound here in pattaya but will see when my cbr goes for a new sticker.

Most loud exhausts come with removable sound baffles (or have them available to purchase separately) these days- every system I considered offered them (except for the system I ultimately decided upon as it was made to reduce dB without sacrificing performance- most baffles rob a few ponies)- it would be a good idea to have them on-hand in any case.

• Like 1

Most loud exhausts come with removable sound baffles (or have them available to purchase separately) these days- every system I considered offered them (except for the system I ultimately decided upon as it was made to reduce dB without sacrificing performance- most baffles rob a few ponies)- it would be a good idea to have them on-hand in any case.

I've known of a few guys in the states who carry their DB Killers with them for the ride home, when they've finished having their fun in the mountains :)