4,691 People Ordered Under Probation From Drunken Driving Offenses During Songkran

webfact

4,691 people ordered under probation from drunken driving offenses during Songkran

BANGKOK 19 April 2013 (NNT) – The Probation Department is supervising activities for the benefit of society, being undertaken by those arrested for drunk driving during the Songkran holiday.

Probation Department Director-General Ruenwadi Suwanmongkhon has revealed that 4,691 people were ordered under probation by the court, for their drunken driving offenses between April 11 and 17. This figure was 6.27% lower than that of last year.

A network of social organizations, which includes Chulalongkon hospital, the Thai Red Cross and the Police Hospital, was arranging the social activities in collaboration with the department.

Those under probation for drunk driving must do communituy service for 10-48 hours, and must report their progress 3 to 4 times within their probation period of 1-2 years. They also must participate in several programs aimed at adjusting their behavior and attitude.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-19 footer_n.gif

Did these driver's also lose their licence? Maybe having to re-do a driving test might make them think again. And any hefty fine for those without licences? maybe they can do warden work in hospitals helping patients involved in road accidents.

• Like 2

Did these driver's also lose their licence? Maybe having to re-do a driving test might make them think again. And any hefty fine for those without licences? maybe they can do warden work in hospitals helping patients involved in road accidents.

They don't have any licence...

• Like 2

There's an article in The Post about road safety etc on a year round basis and while it's well written it's also a re hash of the points made at this time every year. One idea is that it should be harder to get a driving licence with a stricter driving test which is great on paper but as my landlady's sister says " in Thailand everything is available at a price ". If anyone bothers to want a licence they will always be available as will " on the spot " fines for drunk driving and all sorts of offences. Changes to rules and regulations will never work, it needs a sea change to culture and attitudes and that's not going to happen

I wonder what the average income is for all the probationary people involved with the DWI arrests? I would bet that they are mostly rural citizens with meager to modest incomes because wealthy Thais from Bangkok are far too intelligent to drive while intoxicated or to speed.

The driving test is a ten minute drive around some traffic cones in a car park. Even less of a 'punishment' than what is already being meted out.

Assuming of course that they have a license or have even done the driving test.

• Like 1

Years ago, my younger brother was caught drunk behind the wheel. The legal limit in my country is 0.5 promille. He was tested at 0.8. The police impounded his license on the spot and he had to take a taxi back home. The car had to be picked up by a family member the next day, because he wasn't allowed to drive it without his license. He received a court summons, where the judge revoked his license and banned him from steering any motor vehicle for a period of one and a half years. In addition to that, he had to pay a fine of well over 2.000 euros (back then almost 100.000 baht).

Once he finally got his license back, HE NEVER DROVE DRUNK AGAIN.

He had definitely learned his lesson.

I wonder if that would work here. Probably not.

It would depend on whether the drunk driver had plenty of money or not.

The driving test is a ten minute drive around some traffic cones in a car park. Even less of a 'punishment' than what is already being meted out.

Assuming of course that they have a license or have even done the driving test.

No need for either a licence or a driving test here in Thailand . . . an "on-the-spot" fine by the BiB solves that one every time.

I think there should be televised dunkings of drivers alongside their cars during songkran.

Make them sit in the sun alongside their car on a dunking seat, but make the targets really small and the distance 20 metres. 5 baht a throw.

Roll up roll up, dunk the drinker and his soon to be clunker.....

Do the drunk bikers 10 at a time.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I saw some report about the DUI scene. Over 100000 people were arrested for traffic violations. Over 10000 were DUI's. If 4691 were put on probation (a Joke),what happened to the other 5309 + that were cited for DUI? Some of them are still roaming the roads as evidenced by the crashes in the local area?

Good Idea--BUT what driving test ?? big % had no licence. But good post.

I wonder what the average income is for all the probationary people involved with the DWI arrests? I would bet that they are mostly rural citizens with meager to modest incomes because wealthy Thais from Bangkok are far too intelligent to drive while intoxicated or to speed.

Your post good apart from --"wealthy Thais etc sorry but this is a jokelaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

'The Probation Department is supervising activities for the benefit of society, being undertaken by those arrested for drunk driving during the Songkran holiday'

Priceless!

Watching women, watching others, talking about food, smoking all now class as punishment clap2.gif