Getting From Arcade Bus Station To Airport - **part 2**

telstrareg

I really enjoyed reading all the answers I got to this topic. Shows the many different experiences and characters.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633659-getting-from-arcade-bus-station-to-airport/?hl=%2Barcade#entry6318152

When I got to Arcade I found a taxi booth (see photo) with two girls attending. Expecting a fixed price I asked one of the girls "How much to the airport?" She replied "This is a meter taxi service" and she radioed for a taxi which arrived promptly

It was a woman driving a strange looking cab that had the shape of a Range Rover or 4WD. It was painted the same colours as all the Chiang Mai taxis. I sat in the back since there was too much junk around the front seat. The woman was very friendly and during our journey asked me a lot of questions about my life. We spoke in English and Thai.

She took the ring road south, a route which I'm familiar with. I looked a the meter at one point in the journey and it was around 80B. When I got to the airport the meter was reading 284B!

I was surprised but didn't say anything since I had never taken a meter taxi in CM on that route so couldn't be sure if this was a rip-off + too little money to care. I had loads of time to kill so I asked a couple of meter taxi stands at the airport and they all quoted 150-180B.

So now I'm wondering:

1. Did travelling via the ring road increase the fare that much? The ring is faster but it's also 17 km compared with going through the city which is 10 km

2. Would her special cab have been metered at a higher price per km?

3. Did she rip me off for sure and if so, how? Is there a button they can press to add fixed amounts to a fare?

post-150914-0-01671800-1366431814_thumb.

Thanks for posting; very interesting information. I would expect something like 200-300 baht when getting into those yellow and blue vehicles that pass for a taxi service in this town, but that it would actually total up to that amount when using the meter is news to me!

It does reaffirm my opinion to not bother with them unless money is no object, and stick to the Red Bus songthaews instead. (Even when hiring them out for a direct trip)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I must have caught a so called "meter taxi" about 50 times in CM over 5 years.Not once was the option of having the meter turned on offered and many times politely refused,it was always a fixed price,which sometimes required negotiation especially at the Arcade Bus Terminal.If you order a taxi by phone, from home, they usually give you the price. I once asked a new, young owner, who spoke perfect English, Why do you have a meter if you don't use it ? His reply, its the law and smiled.If you are in Bangkok taxis, in my 8 years experience, are about a minimum 20-30 % cheaper and there is a massive oversupply of taxis cruising around seeking a fare.Sorry that doesn't exactly answer your questions and no doubt others will have different opinions/experiences.

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. You paid double.

Yes but how do they do it? A custom 'fast meter' or a button which can add fixed amounts to the fare?

BTW what is the current rate per km? The 2B/km rate listed in wikitravel is ridiculously out of date.

I think we should give the songtheaws as much business as possible. They are a great asset for local people and useful for foreigners. There's no double pricing, unless you don't know how to use one and have limited negotiation skills. Hiring one direct will always work out cheaper and a lot have the air con on and you sit in the front (if you want). Try to get to know a few songtheaw drivers and call them a few times. They often appreciate doing a long journey for 150/200 baht and giving their engine a run, instead of going around the houses 10-15 times at 15/20 baht a person.

• Like 1

I think the description for the button you were after is 'farang' button. tongue.png

Actually, that sounds about right for that distance. A taxi to the airport from the Mae Jo area (about 20kms) is around 300 baht. I guess by going the Super/Mahidol route it doubled the distance as it goes out somewhat and loops right around. Through town is almost direct and would've/should've been 150 baht ish. From the airport to a hotel of that distance, it would be around 150 baht (normal route); 120 baht around old town/Chang Khlan.

Wikitravel currently says 4 baht after flagfall, though it is certainly out of date... should probably be more like 15... you could always edit that yourself, btw. wink.png

/edit: Wikitravel edited//

Edited by jackr

I think the description for the button you were after is 'farang' button. tongue.png

Actually, that sounds about right for that distance. A taxi to the airport from the Mae Jo area (about 20kms) is around 300 baht. I guess by going the Super/Mahidol route it doubled the distance as it goes out somewhat and loops right around. Through town is almost direct and would've/should've been 150 baht ish. From the airport to a hotel of that distance, it would be around 150 baht (normal route); 120 baht around old town/Chang Khlan.

Wikitravel currently says 4 baht after flagfall, though it is certainly out of date... should probably be more like 15... you could always edit that yourself, btw. wink.png

/edit: Wikitravel edited//

(farang button) Ha!

If what you are saying is correct, assuming flag fall is now about 50B then the per km charge is about 12B. I remember looking at a rate card in the back of a tax in BK recently but I can't remember the B/km

when there is any service that could have a wide range of possible prices-you should ask. Would you go in and get a massage without knowing the cost? Or dental work? or a bar? Most reputable businesses make it no secret, so if it isn't in plain view, then you should inquire. I've seen them refuse to use the meter in BKK....You can still negotiate a good flat fee. I would have offered 150, since it was convenient, and probably would have tipped 20-50 if she was cool and a good driver (slim chance). Or if she countered at 200 I would have jumped in, but it all depends on how much time you have. CNX is one of the easiest airports to get to, that I have ever used. Done it for 10 THB on Yellow, which is real close to hundreds of hotels. Walked the 1 km from the Mall....I'm sure it is way too close for the cabbies.....

SongTaew or tuk tuk from Arcade to Airport is 200 baht (goes up to 250 at Samoeng junction I was told by Songtaew driver) - taxi is 250 (if you want a taxi for the aircon - walk over to the old station and go to the taxis parked on the right, and ask how much to airport. I usually get the taxi to immigration office of Airport Plaza and walk to the airport - often saves 50 - 100 baht on prices quoted because I guess they aren't allowed to pick up at the airport (or just know you are stuffed).

The airport taxis will actually pick you up from anywhere in town and deliver you to the airport for 150baht, so if you can, get someone to book that for you and pick you up instead.

why go to the desk? You know they are paying good money to set-up, so they are taking a big cut. I've heard of Airport van companies paying millions for airport privileges. They in turn overcharge their customers, and under pay their drivers. Go 1 mile from the airport and the rates are 1/3.

SongTaew or tuk tuk from Arcade to Airport is 200 baht (goes up to 250 at Samoeng junction I was told by Songtaew driver) - taxi is 250 (if you want a taxi for the aircon - walk over to the old station and go to the taxis parked on the right, and ask how much to airport. I usually get the taxi to immigration office of Airport Plaza and walk to the airport - often saves 50 - 100 baht on prices quoted because I guess they aren't allowed to pick up at the airport (or just know you are stuffed).

The airport taxis will actually pick you up from anywhere in town and deliver you to the airport for 150baht, so if you can, get someone to book that for you and pick you up instead.

This advice ^ is good.

Eg: take airport taxi from CNX to Arcade = 250 Bt approx. (includes a surcharge)

Go from Arcade - shortest/quickest route is via SuperHighway > Nimmenhaemin > Wing 41. Eleven kilometers!