Part Time Weekend Teaching

With the pound in my pocket not going as far as it used to I was considering beefing up my finances with some part time weekend teaching.

I don't have any of the necessary paperwork ( work permit, degree, tefl certificate etc ) but do have several years of teaching experience, albeit from about 20 years ago when I last taught in Bangkok.

I don't want to teach classes, just one on one conversational students , and I'm only thinking of about 5 hour a day for Saturday and Sunday ( making a maximum of about 40 hours a month.)

So....... where would be the best place to look for that amount of work and what sort of hourly wage could I reasonably expect.

Thanks in advance ......................... T

Where do you live?

Bangkok.

As for the work permit, I have read that they are unlikely to be given for part time work so not much point trying to get one. Yes there are some risks but as has often been mentioned, relatively small. To be honest I don't think I could stand full time teaching again, especially given the low wages. I taught full time for several years at AUA ,The British Council and finaly Khon Kaen university but in the end it spoilt the pleasure of being in Thailand so I returned to the U.K. to get some real money. As we all know, that is not an option any more so I was considering desperate measures.

Immigration Detention centre if he works without a permit.

Yes, but he will be joining thousands of other people who do the same thing--including a person I know who teaches the child of an immigration officer!

But that said, it is true that it is technically against the law.

I would suggest that you go to work for one of the language schools that are located around the city. Even if the idea isn't exactly what you want, you may be able to use it as a springboard to private work that is suitable to your needs and schedule.

Immigration Detention centre if he works without a permit.

Yes, but he will be joining thousands of other people who do the same thing--including a person I know who teaches the child of an immigration officer!

But that said, it is true that it is technically against the law.

I would suggest that you go to work for one of the language schools that are located around the city. Even if the idea isn't exactly what you want, you may be able to use it as a springboard to private work that is suitable to your needs and schedule.

Thanks for that Scott. Yes, that's what I figured but I thought I'd fish for any alternatives to see if the scene had changed. Oh well, guess not so unless my online shop picks up , I'll be facing the grim whiteboard again.sad.png

Hard times , killing floor revisited. Never say never again.

Sounds like you really didn't enjoy it wink.png

I loved teaching the masses and will be back at it in a few years

Good luck and hope you have fun anyhoo!

Hmm.....these days the only way I can conceive of the word ' teaching ' and ' fun ' appearing in the same sentence is :

" It's fun when you quit teaching " wink.png

I guess when the students were a nice bunch it wasn't so bad but what I really don't like about it is that you have to stay focused for long periods. I think I'd rather be pushing a broom somewhere....less invasive of the mind.

• Like 1