Huay Tung Tao

naboo

Went today to escape the choice of heat or air-con.

It has never been somewhere I would go for good food, but to sit on the waterside you need to buy something. The last few times I've been the food has been poor, but today I was as close as I have ever come to sending the food back. Actually, I'm not sure the Yam and Fried Fish we ordered hadn't been rejected 3hrs earlier and left to await another order. My wife wasn't convinced someone hadn't half eaten the fish already, such was the lack of meat on it.

2 questions:

Can anyone recommend a place there that either sells good food or allows you to bring your own and just rent a place to sit?

I am aware of the lake just off the Mae Rim road and also Mae Ngat, anywhere else near Chiang Mai with a similar set up?

Finally, as I'm on a moan, would people stop taking their rent a girlfriends there? Today the table next door was a conversation how their two week long relationship was going to last when he went back next week. She sounded devestated he was going, but explained that if he was to give her enough money to get by, she would "stop work bar and wait you come back see me". Apparently its a great idea.

Where is this thread going? Why go there?

The little floating huts are not cruise liners. The lake is a very cheap place for cheap food and relaxing. If you get some terrible food, complain (politely), get some other, and don't go back to that particular place. Try another.

Or, maybe, to be fair, everyone in the "kitchen" was still hungover from Songkran excess.

Food was always a bit hit and miss, but do agree that it currently is often more 'miss'. It's a bit peculiar the way those shops are run; it doesn't seem to favor any place offering consistent value over a longer time. But you can bring your own food. These days I order maybe one dish and see how it turns out; if that's reasonable then I might order more.

Finally, as I'm on a moan, would people stop taking their rent a girlfriends there?

Huh.. why? It remains an excellent place to take rent girlfriends. Also more often than not, it's the rent girlfriends who take their boyfriend-du-jour there, not the other way around.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Been to several places around there and none have been great; going from mediocre to absolute crud. It is unusual for food to be so bad wholesale in Muang Thai, which leads be to think it's all the same owner/supplier. However, the 'best' out of a bad bunch for me is the one just beyond the main place with the boats as you also get a good view. When you hit the lake, do a right and it's about 100m past the parking area (where most people go).

As far as 'cheap food' goes (above), it's not really when you consider what cheap is elsewhere, though can be forgiven for the setting but not for the horrible quality.

Go to OB Kan national Park.

http://www.chiangmainews.com/indepth/details.php?id=1798

Or, go to the secret water fall in Mae Hia. Oh wait, that's where I take all my girlfriends....

No not Opkan please, thats where my girlfriend(s) take me.

Some very secluded skinny dipping spots into the gorge.. Ah the mammaries..

• Like 2

Just passed the waterfall cafe, (500') make a left at the dirt road that looks like an up hill (it is and rutted). Follow it all the way up the hill and to the end of the road and you will find it. The road dead ends at the waterfall parking area.

I'm not worried about revealing the location as you need a 4x4 to get there and some experience. Or ride your wave to the top. Not recommended for a twist and go. Unless your hard core.

A nice river, waterfalls and very private. Disclaimer: Do not take your shiny Vigo or Fortuna up there unless you don't care about it. (yes, I know it's a 4 wheel drive).

Waterfall Cafe.. That in itself looks interesting. BTW, that's not this place right, but further out? ( http://drink.edtguide.com/374588_Baan-Suan-Cafe-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9F-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9F )

I think it's further down this road on the right (Google Streetview didn't go all the way there ;) : http://goo.gl/maps/84Cey I think this is it: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valley-Cafe-ChiangMai/330171780362872

Looking at the satellite map, the track up the hill to where the waterfall is looks VERY rough in the wet, but doable without too much trouble in a pick-up in the dry? Could be good for mountain biking too.

Food was always a bit hit and miss, but do agree that it currently is often more 'miss'. It's a bit peculiar the way those shops are run; it doesn't seem to favor any place offering consistent value over a longer time. But you can bring your own food. These days I order maybe one dish and see how it turns out; if that's reasonable then I might order more.

Finally, as I'm on a moan, would people stop taking their rent a girlfriends there?

Huh.. why? It remains an excellent place to take rent girlfriends. Also more often than not, it's the rent girlfriends who take their boyfriend-du-jour there, not the other way around.

WTH,

So what makes you so righteous?

Why don't you and your Wife stay at home?

You could cook your own fish and savour it together!

Just passed the waterfall cafe, (500') make a left at the dirt road that looks like an up hill (it is and rutted). Follow it all the way up the hill and to the end of the road and you will find it. The road dead ends at the waterfall parking area.

I'm not worried about revealing the location as you need a 4x4 to get there and some experience. Or ride your wave to the top. Not recommended for a twist and go. Unless your hard core.

A nice river, waterfalls and very private. Disclaimer: Do not take your shiny Vigo or Fortuna up there unless you don't care about it. (yes, I know it's a 4 wheel drive).

Waterfall Cafe.. That in itself looks interesting. BTW, that's not this place right, but further out? ( http://drink.edtguide.com/374588_Baan-Suan-Cafe-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9F-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88-%E0%B8%A3%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B9%81%E0%B8%9F )

I think it's further down this road on the right (Google Streetview didn't go all the way there wink.png : http://goo.gl/maps/84Cey I think this is it: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valley-Cafe-ChiangMai/330171780362872

Looking at the satellite map, the track up the hill to where the waterfall is looks VERY rough in the wet, but doable without too much trouble in a pick-up in the dry? Could be good for mountain biking too.

Winnie,

Yes, just past the "Valley/Waterfall Cafe" Don't try it in a pick up truck. The up hill is very rutted and steep,and no where to turn around once your on the hill.Also there is no cell phone service in that area. A couple of years ago I took a friend that has a four wheel drive. in the first 100' of the up hill he dropped a wheel into a rut that engulfed the whole left side of his truck. He had to climb out the passenger window! We spent most of the day recovering his truck with my jeep and a winch!

I'm in Los Angeles at the moment Pre running for the BAJA 500 race in Mexico, but when I get back home I'd be more than welcome to show you that place.

• Like 1

At the lake, after you pass the checkpoints turn left, and you will drive along the narrow road with the lake on your right. the very first restaurant with about 10 "water chalets". you can just rent them out for 100bt for the day (or it maybe 50bt per person I forget).

no obligation to buy their food; though you would be hard pushed to find a complaint in a bottle of Leo/Chang/singha so no need to "rent".the chalet.

Plenty of places to sit for free.

Turn left at the lake, drive along to the standing Buddha, all the salas and the building over the water are free picnic areas.

Turn right and into quickly into the first car park, the whole area from the playground to the left is a free picnic area.

When I eat

Always at the huts in front and to the left of the rental boats.

(is that 8 or 9?)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

From Huay Tung Tao there is a great little walk to Dtaatmook waterfall. 30 to 60 mins up depending on your speed then cool down at the waterfall, although at this time of year might even be dry. There are a few ways to get there but the easiest and most pleasant is to drive to the north of the lake, then around the rice fields and park just before the army checkpoint. There is a small narrow dam accross the river which requires a couple of metre-long jumps then the attached map (thanks to cmhike.com) shows the rest. The walk stays next to the river (or stream depending on the season)

more info here: http://cmhike.com/2011/12/friday-23rd-december-2011-walk-to-dtaat-mook-waterfall-up-to-heli-pad-and-optional-swim-in-huay-tung-thao-afterwards/

post-30200-0-62338800-1366672574_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

bit of a drama today as a young Thai boy was pulled out of the lake unconscious.. once alerted, the on duty life guards quickly raced around to him (he was on the opposite side of the lake to them & me, near the play tower) although it appeared to me through my binoculars that none of the crowd surrounding him on the beach had attempted CPR before they attended. An ambulance arrived a time later and stretchered the kid away & i did note some movement from him, but i later spoke to one of the life guards and he said that the boy had not been breathing for quite a while & he was fairly sure that if the kid did survive, that brain damage would be highly likely.

it was a very sad scene indeed.. i hope the kid makes it.

Wishing the boy all the best. The lake is one of my "go to" places and frequent it often. Great place to swim, the water is clean and great temp. and is shallow near the edge for my boys to play. We go the the last place before the end of the lake if you turn right at the T intersection after the ticket booth. Food is pretty good and combined with the view (the other side does not look out to the mt.) and everything else (price, convince ..) we love it there! If you go one must try the "Dancing Shrimp"!

• Like 1