Renewing British Passport.....can I Use Existing One?

Well it seems that my Kasikorn virtual card worked as the money has just left my account.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hey theoldgit, any idea of current waiting times for passport renewals?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got an email from the Bangkok Consular.

You are correct your current passport is cancelled on receipt in Hong Kong so you will have to wait until you receive your new one to travel again.
If for urgent reasons you need to travel before your new passport arrives, you will need to obtain an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) at a cost of £95. You will have to get this from us here in Bangkok so will need a Laissez Passer from the Embassy in Vientiane to cross the border.

Well it seems that my Kasikorn virtual card worked as the money has just left my account.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hey OldGit,

Thanks, really appreciate the info. Luckily I just got one of those virtual cards the other month, guess I'll be able to use that then. Planning to apply next week, will report back on how long it takes, any problems etc. I'm sure there will be some!

*by the way, the problems with my Thai bank card happened in Sikkim, India, for some reason the two ATMs in the town we were staying at wouldn't process any transaction. Admittedly it was out in the sticks though, but it's definitely worth taking some cash as back up in places like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To anyone who has recently been through this exercise of sending the application to Hong Kong, could
you please just confirm which pages from the passport do they need you to photocopy and send with the application?

On the web page of a visa company they say the following :- “ we only send a photocopy of the face page “

I just wondered if everyone else agrees with that?

Thanks very much

Edited by Asiantravel

Did it last month, just sent copies of the bio page and the page with my extension of stay.

Received my new passport exactly ten days after my card was debited in Hong Kong.

Thanks old git.

I'm in a different situation because in a few days I am flying to Cambodia and will be presenting a second passport in PP with an e –visa for Cambodia.When I then return to Thailand I will be using my second passport.

So I will no longer have a valid visa stamp page to Thailand in my UK passport because on the date of exit from Thailand, it will expire.

Because of this I can't decide whether they would still process my application if i I just send them a copy of only my bio page or given the circumstances whether I should in fact send them the entire passport?

In other words how significant is it for the Hong Kong passport office to verify your visa status for Thailand?

Edited by Asiantravel

I really don't know, but they do say in the instructions that if you apply from Thailand you should send both.

They also say that as soon as the application is processed that passport is cancelled and no longer valid for travel.

Do I read it that you have two passports and one is being renewed?

I really don't know, but they do say in the instructions that if you apply from Thailand you should send both.

They also say that as soon as the application is processed that passport is cancelled and no longer valid for travel.

Do I read it that you have two passports and one is being renewed?

Yes, that's correct I have dual citizenship.

The British passport is full and has only six months left until expiry

In that case, maybe I will also take a photocopy of the page which has my most recent Visa for Thailand and if in Hong Kong they want to to ask me about this and why it will have expired when they receive it they can easily e-mail me to ask me about my current status.

Edited by Asiantravel