Gold Shortages In Cm Or Just Rumours?

ThaiHerbs

its not a true shortage

mrs buy 1 baht bullion monthly from her left over expenses. its just as usual, you might just need wait to afew couple of days for the stocks to arrive. this waiting happens regularly not just this period

"Thai Gold is famous worldwide for its high purity of 96.5 percent (or 23 carat)."

The usual investment gold bullion bar content standard is 99.95% ~ 99.99%. Thai gold quality approaches junk gold standards - try selling any of it overseas.

I would be very careful if buying investment-grade gold anywhere in Asia - fake tungsten-filled gold bars are now showing up everywhere.

Tungsten-filled gold bars discovered in Manhattan

And it's not just gold bars

So, how would you test for the alleged purity of your local gold purchase?

And what about when it's time to sell - how would you prove gold content quality to your buyer?

There must be a reason why that famous gold bug in CM only buys his physical gold from Switzerland...

My humble advice: stick to Gold Maple coins - best prices (lowest spreads) readily available in HK.

(edit: can't get rid of weird text indent)

You can do things like a specific gravity test quite easily at home.

Dont just stop at Maples, there is plenty of decent bullion about, especially out of the Perth Mint in Australia, the PAMP certicards and even the Pandas from the Chinese Mint.

Edited by DaBloodyMess

"Thai Gold is famous worldwide for its high purity of 96.5 percent (or 23 carat)."

The usual investment gold bullion bar content standard is 99.95% ~ 99.99%. Thai gold quality approaches junk gold standards - try selling any of it overseas.

I would be very careful if buying investment-grade gold anywhere in Asia - fake tungsten-filled gold bars are now showing up everywhere.

Tungsten-filled gold bars discovered in Manhattan

And it's not just gold bars

So, how would you test for the alleged purity of your local gold purchase?

And what about when it's time to sell - how would you prove gold content quality to your buyer?

There must be a reason why that famous gold bug in CM only buys his physical gold from Switzerland...

My humble advice: stick to Gold Maple coins - best prices (lowest spreads) readily available in HK.

(edit: can't get rid of weird text indent)

You can do things like a specific gravity test quite easily at home.

Dont just stop at Maples, there is plenty of decent bullion about, especially out of the Perth Mint in Australia, the PAMP certicards and even the Pandas from the Chinese Mint.

Tungsten has the same density as gold to three decimal places- specific gravity tests won't detect any differences between gold and tungsten.

Even X-ray fluorescence tests won't detect well-faked salted bars - specific ultrasound tests by an experienced operator may detect tungsten within gold bars.

The financial incentive to sell adulterated gold bullion is significant - stick to harder to fake well-known coins and 1 oz bars. I prefer Maples because they are well-known, 99.99% gold and more difficult to fake, although even some gold coins are a target nowadays.

Caveat emptor.

Edited by Jose