A Positive View Of Phuket (From An Infrequent Visitor)

perry21

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually took my nic as "tongue-in-cheek" assessment of the overall membership here, figured I'd fit right in.

And boy (!) do a lot of posts on this thread prove it!

An interesting angle this topic brings up is the view due to the experience and the experience making the view.

Longtermers here have certain day-to-day experiences, creating their view. This fellow admittedly not here that often has a positive experience, has his view.

The negativity spouted by many here is probably the frustration of being in some bunk place and wishing they were here (argghhh if I have to be stuck in this hell hole with my ugly GF or hand, I might as well post and pee on their party) and should be ignored, or unhappy longtermers. Maybe if you are a longtermer here who posts regular negativity you might consider becoming an "infrequent visitor" where you might then come to share the OP's view..

I liked the OP. Though staying in Patong several months made me dislike the place, but Phuket still has many advantages. But once you know about the possible scams, it's just a case of avoiding them and enjoy the rest.

I believe an upscale tourist doesn't get harmed a lot by scams. Mainly everything is arranged by your resort and you don't care about tuck-tuck's or taxi's that charge too much because you use them only a couple of times and not daily.

It's just a different view that you can not compare with the average tourist and certainly not with expats.

Phronesis, please can we agree to disagree. I would like to think if me met in a bar we would get on fine, compare views and move on to other subjects. i dont want to fallout with anyone on this forum. I am perhaps typical of some users of these types of boards - I peer in quite regularly but for various reasons have not shared too many views. There are many reasons for this - its easy to freeload and use a free resource (for which I apologise to the owners), one is nervous about positing to a community that includes people with vastly more experience and knowledge of the country than me, and I already spend too much time at a computer for work. I am not by nature a natural poster. Having said that I thought I would start following my recent trip. It seems to have caused an unfortunate reaction from you. Lets move on to other matters. I am keen to be a more active contributor and will perhaps pick less emotive subjects in future. Perhaps we can find other areas where we have common views. Oh and BTW I am nothing to do with bikinis and martinis or any such publication. I just got bored with beer about ten years ago and started drinking more wine and cocktails (which had a good effect on the wasitline). Best.

Don't let the b_astards win mate...KEEP POSTING..thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I believe an upscale tourist doesn't get harmed a lot by scams. Mainly everything is arranged by your resort and you don't care about tuck-tuck's or taxi's that charge too much because you use them only a couple of times and not daily.

What classifies as a scam? The tourist books a 3500 Baht excursion at the resort tour counter, whilst exactly the same thing organized by the same operator can be booked for 2300 Baht at a travel agency out in the street. Same goes for instance for taxis, the resort will grossly overcharge.

Many tourists staying at upmarket resorts are not at all so well off, at home they booked a cheap package consisting of return flight, room including breakfast and airport transfers. That way an upmarket resort costs only a fraction of what you pay when you just walk in with your suitcase.

• Like 1