Four Bomb-Disposal Officers Killed In Thai South, Six Others Wounded

webfact

SOUTH CRISIS
Four bomb-disposal officers killed in South, six others wounded in gas-cylinder blast

The Nation

30204540-01_big.jpg

NARATHIWAT: -- Four Navy explosive ordnance disposal technicians were instantly killed and six wounded in Narathiwat yesterday when a "trick" homemade gas cylinder bomb exploded during dismantling even though it had been defused.

The cylinder containing about 25 kilograms of explosives was defused at a spot with a banner denouncing the peace talks between authorities and insurgents. It was taken to the barracks at the Marines Task Force 32 headquarters in Bacho district where an explosive ordnance disposal team tried to open it to dispose of the materials inside.

A source close to defence intelligence services said a second detonator was possibly hidden inside the cylinder, but Colonel Thaweesak Jantharasin later dismissed this theory, saying it was likely just a crude device.

"When the cover was spread apart, two live wires moved towards each other and when they made contact it activated the direct detonation of the explosives," said Thaweesak, who is chief of the Army's entire bomb disposal operations in the deep South.

The rigged bomb has been deemed a new tactic by the insurgents, especially those opposed to the peace initiative, to inflict more casualties and damage to authorities, civilians and military officials. Many analysts believe this attack was an act of revenge by insurgents for the shooting deaths of 18 comrades during an ambush on February 13 at a Marine base.

The banners, written in Yawi, were reportedly placed at 66 locations in the three southernmost provinces, likely by those protesting the meetings of Thai officials and representatives of the Barasi Revolusi Nasional Coordinate (BRN). At some sites fake bombs were also planted to delay disposal operations. An official figure put the banners at 119.

There was one explosion at a banner site in Sungai Padi district where a real mine was also laid, wounding the commander of an Army paramilitary ranger unit that was on foot patrol.

The placing of banners is seen as intended to mark the ninth anniversary of the Krue Se mosque incident on April 28, besides a symbolic move to condemn the peace dialogue, whose next round is scheduled on April 29.

At 12.50pm In Ra Ngae district's Tambon Chalerm, a 25kg bomb planted in a garbage pile went off prematurely, wounding three civilians in a pickup truck including seven-year old and nine-year old girls.

Two sisters were wounded in a shooting in Pattani's Mae Lan district following a vow made in flyers in response to the detention of a Muslim woman suspected of assisting in an insurgent incident on April 18.

General Paradorn Pattanathabutr, secretary-general of the National Security Council (NSC) and chief of the negotiation team, said the recent insurgent attacks and banners were the work of other separatist groups out to prove their existence and possibly desiring to join the upcoming peace talks.

"There might be more bombings until the next peace meeting is held but they will remain in restricted areas," he said.

Officials were coordinating with other rebel groups in case they want to be part of the peace process. BRN representatives were also talking with the Runda Kumpulan Kecil about possible participation in the peace process.

The main topics remained the offering of justice in several criminal cases, reducing violence in the restive South and the timeframe for reducing violence, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-23

It is astonishing how the world press passes this Thai south "thing" by. The numbers of killings, the almost daily bombings, especially in light of the US terrorist bombing and the discovery today of a Canadian incident on the railroad in Toronto. Thais seem to be excellent at suppressing information but are unable to do anything about it. Could it be that Thailand fears doing anything about the bombings and killings in the south because more action might lead the world press to cover the story more vigorously?

• Like 2

I don't think the world press passes this by. There's a rather revealing piece today that was posted on CNN today and I would expect that Thailand would want to censor it once it learns of the contents. (For now it is not blocked.)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/asia/buddhism-violence/index.html?iref=allsearch

In respect to the bombing, I have some friends that are either in or will be sent to the conflict zone and I am concerned for their well being. My paramount concern is their safety and well being and that's all I will say as it's an emotional topic for me.

The world press reports on the front page what will interest people and the trouble in Southern Thailand doesn't interest most of the world because it has no impact on their lives. The BBC, Fox and CNN along with the others did report this incident but it falls under World or International news. Regretfully there is worse things going on around the world that also don't rise to the interests of most people in the west.

Edited by Nisa

Isn't it good to know, that after the Boston bombing, the police in Bangkok is on full alert???

Yeah, just nuts eh.

Lots of bombing in own backyard, ignore that and put the country on alert because of Boston.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Isn't it good to know, that after the Boston bombing, the police in Bangkok is on full alert???

I think you are on the wrong thread.

I think, you are on the wrong planet!

• Like 2

The world press reports on the front page what will interest people and the trouble in Southern Thailand doesn't interest most of the world because it has no impact on their lives. The BBC, Fox and CNN along with the others did report this incident but it falls under World or International news. Regretfully there is worse things going on around the world that also don't rise to the interests of most people in the west.

This is all true and to be expected. I suppose it would be quite different if these events were happening in Bangkok on a regular basis, as that would certainly have more impact on much of the world. It might also be reported differently if the Thai government started acting as though these incidents in Southern Thailand were a matter of national security and responded to them as such.

• Like 1

This is all true and to be expected. I suppose it would be quite different if these events were happening in Bangkok on a regular basis, as that would certainly have more impact on much of the world. It might also be reported differently if the Thai government started acting as though these incidents in Southern Thailand were a matter of national security and responded to them as such.

Without a doubt if this or anything remotely close was happening on any regular basis in Bangkok it would be much different in Thailand and Globally. I think if it was happening in the North it would also be much more significant. I wouldn't say the Thais outside the south are not interested but I think they also would rather not hear or think too much about this. It is just kind of a different world in that small region down there that people seem to rather keep out of site and out of mind .... maybe just enough top rated misery out there to mentally want to give it too much attention.

As for national security ... I am guessing it hasn't been viewed as a larger one because if they take the fight and bombing out of that region and into somewhere like Bangkok I think they know it would be the start of a very quick end to their plight. But that wouldn't stop a radical from acting on their own if he had the means and beyond luck it is usually hard to do much about stopping people acting alone.

I don't think the world press passes this by. There's a rather revealing piece today that was posted on CNN today and I would expect that Thailand would want to censor it once it learns of the contents. (For now it is not blocked.)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/22/world/asia/buddhism-violence/index.html?iref=allsearch

In respect to the bombing, I have some friends that are either in or will be sent to the conflict zone and I am concerned for their well being. My paramount concern is their safety and well being and that's all I will say as it's an emotional topic for me.

Before reading this, I have had problems connecting with anything beyond the CNN Home page all morning (only CNN). Now I couldn't connect with the link above. After your comment about blocking I switched to a VPN connection and have no problems. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

10 disposal experts at the same bomb? That can't be operationally very smart.

Most likely killed while putting tyres around it or poking it with a stick I have seen this many times on television.

I wonder do they do proper training. Ten people around one bomb is just stupid.

• Like 1

The other paper reports that it actually occured after they believed it had been defused and had returned to the base with the bomb.

Presumably this is why they carry out controlled explosions in situ.

This report says they same thing. Although it says they brought it to the base to retrieve and dispose of the explosives, it is my guess they brought it back to examine it and get clues as to who planted it and possibly had some guys around who wanted to see the device in case they came up upon a similar one. No doubt they screwed up by not realizing the bomb was actually booby trapped but explosives are found all over an army base and mistakenly they simply thought they were just dealing with explosives that had no ignition source.

No matter what the case ... pretty sick that some here (not you) take the need to feel superior to the level of making jokes about the dead and injured who have a very dangerous job and risk their lives to save others.

Edited by Nisa

The other paper reports that it actually occured after they believed it had been defused and had returned to the base with the bomb.

This report says they same thing. Although it says they brought it to the base to retrieve and dispose of the explosives, it is my guess they brought it back to examine it and get clues as to who planted it and possibly had some guys around who wanted to see the device in case they came up upon a similar one. No doubt they screwed up by not realizing the bomb was actually booby trapped but explosives are found all over an army base and mistakenly they simply thought they were just dealing with explosives that had no ignition source.

No matter what the case ... pretty sick that some here (not you) take the need to feel superior to the level of making jokes about the dead and injured who have a very dangerous job and risk their lives to save others.

I am not feeling superior about it, but it explains why there may have been so many "experts" at the same place. I can't imagine a more dangerous job in the world, and whilst i am sure they are well equipped the odds that they are as well equipped as some better funded armed forces is pretty unlikely.

At the end of the day, retrieving the bomb versus a controlled explosion at what appeared to be a remote area, is a decision to be made. Presumably, they will go down that path more often now, instead of trying to defuse these things to try to recover evidence.

This was obviously something they hadn't encountered before, i.e. a device with two triggers. Very tragic and sad.

I am not feeling superior about it, but it explains why there may have been so many "experts" at the same place. I can't imagine a more dangerous job in the world, and whilst i am sure they are well equipped the odds that they are as well equipped as some better funded armed forces is pretty unlikely.

At the end of the day, retrieving the bomb versus a controlled explosion at what appeared to be a remote area, is a decision to be made. Presumably, they will go down that path more often now, instead of trying to defuse these things to try to recover evidence.

This was obviously something they hadn't encountered before, i.e. a device with two triggers. Very tragic and sad.

Agree 100% and to be clear I did say "not you" in my comment about feeling superior and cracking jokes about a tragic even like this. I replied to your post because it was rational and on topic. It was the posts above yours (I hope are deleted) that were just so disrespectful and in all honesty make me ashamed to be part of a group (foreigners) who view these Thai victims as a joke but no doubt would not dare make such comments publicly had an incident like this happened in their own country but no doubt they believe they and their countrymen are above mistakes.

Nothing wrong with second guessing, speculating or having opinions as to what might have happened but if the motivation is simply to feel superior and paint others, especially these types of people, as only being worthy of a joke in their death then to me it seems an indication of incredible feelings of inferiority. Nobody has to express feelings of remorse towards these folks or their kids or loved ones but to crack jokes, especially this soon, just not right.

Agree 100% and to be clear I did say "not you" in my comment about feeling superior and cracking jokes about a tragic even like this. I replied to your post because it was rational and on topic. It was the posts above yours (I hope are deleted) that were just so disrespectful and in all honesty make me ashamed to be part of a group (foreigners) who view these Thai victims as a joke but no doubt would not dare make such comments publicly had an incident like this happened in their own country but no doubt they believe they and their countrymen are above mistakes.

Nothing wrong with second guessing, speculating or having opinions as to what might have happened but if the motivation is simply to feel superior and paint others, especially these types of people, as only being worthy of a joke in their death then to me it seems an indication of incredible feelings of inferiority. Nobody has to express feelings of remorse towards these folks or their kids or loved ones but to crack jokes, especially this soon, just not right.

+1

A must read article. Thanks for posting.

The interesting part of the CNN webpage are the totally amazing comments posted. The article itself doesn't really offer much insight in the situation down South. Mind you, it may be up to CNN standards.

some many bomb experts, not one wearing a disposal suit

and why not make it detonate right there ? cover it with some euh ... i'm not an expert

but that would have saved their lives

Yes, why not just blow it up where it laid?

It was taken to the barracks at the Marines Task Force 32 headquarters in Bacho district where an explosive ordnance disposal team tried to open it to dispose of the materials inside.

I don't see any jokes here. Only a couple of posts pointing out the lack of training and common sense that so often costs lives.

They have since have been deleted without comment..

Edited by Nisa

I spent several years in EOD squad when I was serving and I know pretty well the south.

GOLDEN rule of EODs blow what you don't know or don't control 100%!

Second bombs are a classic with a IEDs, worst ones using reversed pressure plates to trigger the bomb.

I have pity of the army and police in south, despite all their good intentions they have no budgets, no trainings what so ever. And are used by fat/corrupted Bangkokian generals thru their nationalist feelings.

Current and past governments don't have balls to stop that war started by Thaksin when he was PM. Medias are advised not to cover this topic, it ain't good for business son.

The only answer to terrorism is terror, bravery cost more than 4000 lifes in 10 years. 4000 lifes for what?

We got 3 killed in Boston and the White house is in the starting blocks to press the nuke button!

4000 killed what do we have? 1000$ sent to the family in the best case.

Only media pressure could make the politicians take some real actions.hit-the-fan.gif