Ex Adviser To P M Yingluck Says Water Projects Violate U N Charter

webfact

Ex adviser to PM says water projects violate UN charter
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Nation

30204543-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A former adviser to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has called on the United Nations to intervene in the Thai government's Bt350-billion water-management projects on grounds that the dams project may violate the UN Convention against Corruption.

Utain Shartpinyo used to work for the government-appointed Flood Relief Operation Centre and the ruling Pheu Thai Party. He believes the mega-project violates the UN Convention against Corruption, which took effect in Thailand from March 31, 2011.

"I believe the UN will contact the National Anti Corruption Commission within the next one or two days," Utain said yesterday. He was speaking after a meeting with a senior UN official in Bangkok.

Utain said he also plans to petition the Central Administrative Court soon to seek an injunction to block the water-management projects.

"The terms of reference for those projects are unclear," he said. "The government has issued a royal decree for the financing of the projects, bypassing parliamentary scrutiny".

The royal decree on the Bt350-billion loan, which was approved in the wake of the 2011 flood crisis, authorises relevant state agencies to seek loans by June 30.

An informed source said if Utain's move was successful, the government was likely to fail to meet its deadline and the mega water-management projects would not take off.

"I was in charge of the Pheu Thai Party's strategies before. I know its true colour. Let me tell you that the mega water-management projects are beyond what are necessary," Utain said.

He said the government rushed to implement the projects, thus failing to carefully study all relevant information.

The government has been pushing ahead with the dams and other projects. Qualified firms have been invited to tender bids for the projects by May 3.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-23

Voice your concerns and shout as loud as you can Sir, as for corruption , anyone from outside of Thailand can tell you that Thailand isn't in the top ten of honest countries to deal with, IMF are doing a audit on Thai, after they heard of the 2Tn loancoffee1.gif

• Like 1

A double edge sword. What would you do it you were PM?

1) Satisfy the group(s) screaming that Yingluck is an ineffective, failed PM for the last floods and move to get something done.

2) Slow down, conduct proper due diligence, follow all the procedures and engage in public debate, whilst accepting the potential human, economic and political risks if there's another heavy rain/flood season while the process plays itself out.

Both present their own troubling dynamics, and present a lose lose situation for any elected politician.

Just ask G. Bush after 9/11. No, I'm not comparing the two events, just the process taken afterward.

We have to hurry, only two months left to borrow those 350 billion. Can't we just borrow them with a two page description of what we'll use it for?

BTW borrowing such amount in a hurry should do wonders on conditions, interest rates, etc., etc.

If they keep going at this rate with borrowing and the way the currency is heading, Thailand could create yet another Tom Yum Gung crisis for the region. Unbridled borrowing, schemes, like the rice pledging, that siphon untold billions of baht from the state treasury, will catch up to this administration and reveal that it's policies are merely smoke and mirrors. All that government spending money it doesn't have is also designed to artificially inflate economic growth to make the government look good.

• Like 1

... may violate the UN Convention on Corruption ". I will go further and say there's nothing surer.

Also, "The UN is not my father".

oops.. I see you beat me to it BillD.. my bad. coffee1.gif

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 1

There is one law the Puea Thai party can never break. That is the 'Law of Unintended Consequences'. They keep rushing projects through with only the corruption part well-planned and not the actual project itself. They won't put the projects up for scrutiny and (constructive) criticism or debate as to feasibility or merit so no one knows if they will or will not do what they are supposed to do. Transparency is not in their dictionary.

As another poster mentioned, as long as the government keeps pumping money into the economy, the economy looks good; even when the government's 'borrowed' economy pushes out more natural economy.

• Like 2

People with hands on knowledge, who disagree with any of the government projects seem to be ignored, except for a 1 day interview in a newspaper. The newpaper has given an opposing view, the government will possibly answer with a promise of transparency and then continue on their merry way, of increasing their personal wealth.

Until the brave hearts of the general population decide they have had enough and use any means available to break the system of corruption it will continue. Those in charge got there via underhanded means, they feel they are above the law which they apply to the majority of society. They will have to have a rude awakening to the fact, that there are some who are trying to improve Thailand, for the people, whatever means it takes.

I do not like corruption on any level. Corruption exists in any country on all levels. Corruption in Thailand is entrenched for centuries. But

IF YOU MEAN WHAT I THINK YOU MEAN give me corruption without social unrest ('revolution').

Any Revolution brings multiple sufferings and deaths. Any Revolution is followed by SUPERCORRUPTION. We all are better without either of these.rolleyes.gif