Foreign Tourists Safety 'priority' For New Tourism Minister Somsak

webfact

Safety 'priority' for new tourism minister Somsak

min.jpg
Steep learning curve ahead: Somsak Pureesrisak.

BANGKOK: -- Somsak Pureesrisak, the new Tourism and Sports Minister, says tourist safety will take priority under his watch.

“If Thailand is not a safe destination in the eyes of foreign tourists, it is useless to invest hundreds of billions of baht to promote Thai tourism,” he told a group of reporters as he marked his first official day on the job last Friday (April 5).

“So I will seriously focus on this point. This will bring sustainable tourism growth to Thailand and drive tourism revenue to meet the target of B2 trillion by 2015.”

Mr Somsak expressed confidence that he could work smoothly with related agencies including the Royal Thai Police.

“The state should increase punishment against those who commit crimes like robbery and assault against tourists,” he said.

“I will adopt safety measures similar to those used in Japan, a country that rarely has criminal complaints from tourists.”

Mr Somsak was appointed minister on April 2, replacing Chumpol Silpa-archa, who died of heart failure in January.

His appointment came as no surprise; he was a deputy governor of Suphan Buri and Ang Thong provinces from 2002 to 2006 and governor of Suphan Buri from 2006 to 2012.
Suphan Buri is the home of former prime minister Mr Chumphol’s brother Banharn, banned from politics, but the de facto head of the Chartthaipattana Party.

Chartthaipattana, thanks to its agreement to support the Peu Thai Party in the last general election, has dibs on the Tourism Ministry.

Thailand attracted 22 million tourists last year despite some incidents that brought widespread negative publicity. Authorities have faced criticism for failing to deal swiftly and decisively with serious crimes including rape committed against tourists.

The tourism sector will worry that the new minister, like he predecessor, lacks experience in the industry, and may take considerable time to grasp the big picture issues that demand his attention almost immediately, the industry magazine TTR Weekly said.

“He may choose to ignore the voices of experts who are warning the government that a balance must be achieved to ensure tourism is in harmony with culture and heritage.

“As it stands today, tourism is a threat to national heritage and experts are calling on the government to support a sustainable version that would have less negative impact on the country’s social fabric,” the magazine said.

Commenting on political overtures, Tourism Council of Thailand President Piyaman Tejapaibul was neutral. “The Chartthaipattana Party continues to supervise the Ministry of Tourism and Sports as it has done for years.

The new minister comes from that party so we are not expecting any changes in policy.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/safety-%E2%80%98priority%E2%80%99-for-new-tourism-minister-somsak-38873.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-04-23

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"the country’s social fabric"

What's that then?

Prostitution?

Fake goods?

Dodgy police?

Tourist scams?

Bribery of officials to allow massive overbuilding at tourist locations?

Deforrestation?

Destruction of national parks?

Culling protected species for money?

Dangerous roads?

Drugs?

Jet Skis

• Like 2

“I will adopt safety measures similar to those used in Japan, a country that rarely has criminal complaints from tourists.” Set a timeline with targets my friend. Lofty statements like this are too plentiful to quantity here. I remember Thaksin saying he would solve the traffic problems in Bangkok in 6 months...

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Thaksin_Shinawatra

Try a new approach, lets use the Japan model as the goal to start working towards, but show a timeline with modest targets. Aiming for the moon only stirs up wonder and amazement, better try for something achievable for a change. Enforcement of laws would be a start, then increasing the penalties would be the next step. The problem with this is that he has no authority to enforce the laws.

When the article mentions that tourism(excessive) is a threat to the country's national heritage and having a negative impact on the country's social fabric it smacks of xenophobia nicht wahr? As if they prefer to have fewer foreigners coming here and hopefully fewer Thais marrying non-Thais. Wonder where consumerism and greed fit into the mix.

• Like 1

I predict that if we review this topic in six months that there will not be any significant change or improvement. Tourists will still be getting robbed, scammed, killed and assaulted on a regular basis.

With Thailand's high inflation, comes also increases poverty.

With result more robberies...

Edited by andygunther

start to kik ass police first.

when foreigner have problem , them no help, them only make story for take ours monnaie and share with thai.

thailand no law for us, only for thai.

i come here near 20 years and leave here now 5 years, when have problem , the first thing foreign have to do "NOW CALL POLICE IF POSSIBLE ",when them come only be more expensive for us.

clean thailand about this chit police, give us power for can make problem with them if them no make them job correctly.

thailand no police and no safe for tourist.only boyshit.

• Like 2

The tourism sector will worry that the new minister, like he predecessor, lacks experience in the industry, and may take considerable time to grasp the big picture issues that demand his attention almost immediately, the industry magazine TTR Weekly said.

Not unlike calling a brick layer to install the air conditioning in your house. But when did qualifications matter?

For sure never here ;)

Blimey! So many 'experts' coming out if the woodwork! I can hear the barstools wobbling in disgust...

Give the fella a chance at least.

At least he seems to know there ARE problems which need to be addressed...

That alone for me, is a good start....

The word "lip service" comes to mind.

• Like 1

Blimey! So many 'experts' coming out if the woodwork! I can hear the barstools wobbling in disgust...

Give the fella a chance at least.

At least he seems to know there ARE problems which need to be addressed...

That alone for me, is a good start....

I guess, by your attitude, that everyone criticizing these things sitting drunk in a bar, that are here for quiet a while.

How many times, did you hear things, similar to this, gave it a "fair chance" and in the end were dissapointed?

Let me guess: 99%?

Smile- things might be worse!

So I smiled...and things got worse!

• Like 2

what a joke...the headline should read ''MORE PUBLIC DISPLAYS OF TOURIST SAFTEY''...qiuck call the media,its time for another ''press conference''....

i feel safer already...thanks ''chief''...

• Like 1