Jsat Pi Media Centre Iptv - Any User Comments?

Litlos

I have been looking at IPTV for a while now, just not liking what I have seen so far. Living in a condo a satellite dish is out of the question as no clear line of site to satellites and local rules on installing a dish on the balcony. The condo supplied 80 channels is pretty dire with about 5 channels that I would consider watching, with one of those being Australia channel (sick.gif ) so things are dire.

Anyway was doing my research the other day to see if any new info on the IPTV front and I found a solitary mention of a JSAT Pi Media Centre which seems interesting http://jsat.tv/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=69 . However I am interested in anyone else using this or similar and comments before jumping in.

There is something about XBMC. Satellite TV and media are not really my area, so any hints greatly appreciated.

Should be OK on the link to JSAT as they are sponsor I think.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Boy, I could have written your post as I am also inquisitive about iptv and jsat in particular. I was in a Powerbuy looking at new tv's with wifi and they had a demo of iptv and I was impressed; jsat and free iptv with English programming in HD sounds so appealing. I hope some jsat users can share their experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to hear from folks viewing stuff on IPTV and how it works for them.

I was at the JSAT shop recently and here is what I learned. Please comment and correct my misunderstandings. I am not an expert and am just offering what I understand to be true.

IPTV is interesting option. The XBMC is cheap - around 8,000 Baht. That includes set up installation.

You need high speed internet - > 8MB/sec download. I have 10 MB/sec with True Online and JSAT said that would be fine.

With this configuration you get their set-top box XBMC and you open it and see a "Media Center". Through this media center you select from list after list of FREE channels. This appears extensive - he said there were something like 77,000 movies. I dont know how many are Bollywood or Chinese but I gotta imagine a few thousand are English language films. You also get loads of TV channels.

The problem seems to be that IPTV is not really regulate by one entity but is an amalgamation of hundreds of 'feeds'. So, lets say you see a Channel that says "HBO HD" and you click on it. After a second or 2 it loads and then you are watching someone singing on HBO. It turns out this is actually SD and picture quality was unwatchable, in my opinion. Not to worry there are other HBO HD channels out there.

So, the way it was explained to me, you have to take time initially to go through quite of few of the 'feeds' or main Channels in your Media Center to find the "HBO HD" that you like. It might be from Australia, for example. Then you "Save" that channel to your favorites and re-name it if you like. I can imagine doing this for the news channels, movie channels, documentary channels, etc. that you like. Once this process is completed you have overcome the biggest problem with IPTV. It is like drinking from a waterfall.

My remaining issues:

How can I be sure that my favorite channels are actually HD or at least clear enough for me to enjoy. I like USA sports, for example. I dont know how much I can get. I think there is a Fox Sports channel and I expect they would have NFL but there is no way of knowing until the season next fall and know for sure.

There is the option of PURCHASING premium channels, such as ASN (I guess) or some others which will ensure I get the feed. I dont know how much these cost.

> The XBMC is cheap - around 8,000 Baht. That includes set up installation.
This is the same free XBMC as runs on a PC?

sorry. I dont understand the question. And I am not very knowledgeable about IT.

I saw XBMC Android box that connects to typical modem.

I dont have a PC to allocate to this function (running to my TV) so even if it is possible, I would probably rather have a separate box.

My questions are about WHICH CHANNELS are available on FREE IPTV ----- can I watch American Sports, Good quality movies, Bloomberg, AlJazeera etc.

sorry. I dont understand the question. And I am not very knowledgeable about IT.

I dont have a PC to allocate to this function (running to my TV) so even if it is possible, I would probably rather have a separate box.

My questions are about WHICH CHANNELS are available on FREE IPTV ----- can I watch American Sports, Good quality movies, Bloomberg, AlJazeera etc.

This is the box I was referring to.

http://jsat.tv/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=99

JSAT seems to focus only on hardware and are not really interested in ensuring the customer gets the channels they are looking for. There are other companies that have different strategy. They sell "packages" for 12,000 initial year and list the channels that you get. All my channels are in this list. After their initial year subscription drops to 6,000 per year. 12,000 a year for more than True Online and cheaper looks appealing. Free IPTV looks even more appealing, if it can be navigated easily and has the channels I want.

This is the box I was referring to.

http://jsat.tv/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=99

JSAT seems to focus only on hardware and are not really interested in ensuring the customer gets the channels they are looking for. There are other companies that have different strategy. They sell "packages" for 12,000 initial year and list the channels that you get. All my channels are in this list. After their initial year subscription drops to 6,000 per year. 12,000 a year for more than True Online and cheaper looks appealing. Free IPTV looks even more appealing, if it can be navigated easily and has the channels I want.

Here is an example

http://www.iptv-thailand.com/faqs.html

PLI Media box is just a andriod box and nothing else really all Iptv are apps from google play you can get them on any andriod box its amature and very poor quality channels and i mean poor . Also anyone who sell pli media or andriod has no control over the channels they do go down all the time and only updated links when the app maker gets feedback . If you have a iphone or andriod phone all these apps are in your google play .

On a good side about this box it is what it says a full media player and a mini pc but if your going to buy for iptv then your going to bash your head against the wall cos you cannot reply on free apps here today gone tommorow and most are stream from europe so much freeze .So dont confuse this with IpTv service cos it is not anything like it and nobody will list channels avalaible cos they dont know as the apps are changed on daily bassis since the links do go offline all time .As i said before if you want it as a media player and as a mini pc its pefect but nothing else . There are others in Thailand who sell this for around 5k ,

Play with your iphone or galaxy andriod and google play cos that is what you are buying really on full screen tv

Take note

So whatever PLi Media boxes are, I agree they must be cheap and cheerful by the way you describe them, but I guess what ever they are they also come with free IPTV not paid for IPTV,

I also agree 100% most average Android type devices and boxes do the job with few hundred free APPs that will play direct on your TV, and for sure they can change everyday with newer and betters APPs being added to Android all the time. But all the same they have many great for FREE low speed streaming APPs specifically designed for mobile devices, having said that they always work and work for free and are discussed elsewhere on TV like the free "Thai TV" APPS etc ..

But James, I do see the majority of your PAY IPTV channels in your list are for free on many of the Android devices out there and in many cases in HD and did I mention for free?

Getting back on topic, the JSAT Pi and the JSAT MX are not APP driven Android boxes like you mention both are based on Linux (Still do not what an Android TV MX Box has to do with a PLi Media Box, whatever that is) and that is why it is so much better than most Android devices / boxes because most Android devices / boxes will not do proper 1080p HD streaming (720p yes but not 1920x1080 ) but the MX does of course, it has to for the media center to be a real media center and is based as normal from JSAT TV on the free XBMC Media Center platform so what is on your TV can also be on all the devices for free in any household. They (JSAT) sell the XBMC media centers hardware that plugs directly into the TV with free IPTV as a bonus to the media center called XBMC (www.xbmc.org) , unlike you James where you. re-sell IPTV that is free out there and charge more and more with no integration into the owners entire media store and other devices they may have.

Edited by joncl

It's just an Android box with free software as far as I can make out,That same box can be bought for around 2,000 baht on the internet.

Please give me a link to a MX doing the same thing as mentioned above for THB 2,000 that does proper 1080p or 1920x1080?

So whatever PLi Media boxes are, I agree they must be cheap and cheerful by the way you describe them, but I guess what ever they are they also come with free IPTV not paid for IPTV,

I also agree 100% most average Android type devices and boxes do the job with few hundred free APPs that will play direct on your TV, and for sure they can change everyday with newer and betters APPs being added to Android all the time. But all the same they have many great for FREE low speed streaming APPs specifically designed for mobile devices, having said that they always work and work for free and are discussed elsewhere on TV like the free "Thai TV" APPS etc ..

But James, I do see the majority of your PAY IPTV channels in your list are for free on many of the Android devices out there and in many cases in HD and did I mention for free?

Getting back on topic, the JSAT Pi and the JSAT MX are not APP driven Android boxes like you mention both are based on Linux (Still do not what an Android TV MX Box has to do with a PLi Media Box, whatever that is) and that is why it is so much better than most Android devices / boxes because most Android devices / boxes will not do proper 1080p HD streaming (720p yes but not 1920x1080 ) but the MX does of course, it has to for the media center to be a real media center and is based as normal from JSAT TV on the free XBMC Media Center platform so what is on your TV can also be on all the devices for free in any household. They (JSAT) sell the XBMC media centers hardware that plugs directly into the TV with free IPTV as a bonus to the media center called XBMC (www.xbmc.org) , unlike you James where you. re-sell IPTV that is free out there and charge more and more with no integration into the owners entire media store and other devices they may have.

iptv-thailand does not sell free iptv - there products are official provider service like maigetv and super english you cannot get the channels they provide free

that is totally impossible . Im not slagging the MX Box it is a great little box as a media player and as a mini pc / but for iptv service it is amature yes you can get free iptv channels ( that you have no control ) about them channels or what source supply them this box is all about free and play store - Well nothing is free in life

i know they say best things in life are free but they dont last . As i said im not slagging it its a good little box but dont confuse people with a proffessional iptv service that is provided at a cost .

It's just an Android box with free software as far as I can make out,That same box can be bought for around 2,000 baht on the internet.

Please give me a link to a MX doing the same thing as mentioned above for THB 2,000 that does proper 1080p or 1920x1080?

Here you go

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EU-Plug-Android-4-2-Dual-Core-Mini-PC-Smart-google-TV-Box-XBMC-1-6Ghz/889839566.html

2,100 baht including free shipping.

There's literally thousands on there. I personally have 5 different Android devices of similar specification.

Here you go

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EU-Plug-Android-4-2-Dual-Core-Mini-PC-Smart-google-TV-Box-XBMC-1-6Ghz/889839566.html

2,100 baht including free shipping.

There's literally thousands on there. I personally have 5 different Android devices of similar specification.

In Jsat defence you cannot compare those crazy china price they are just box shifter's and china is a long way from Thailand

Jsat price is a Thailand price after importing products into Thailand after paying all the import tax bla bla - He also does run a bizz and has staff salary to pay and for his Thailand price you get a warranty and full after sales support ( your not going to get that in china ? ) it will cost you 1'200 baht to send back to china if its faulty and a long 1 month waiting for return product ( if they do send back ) If your going to buy any sort of electronics if its jsat pi box or a iptv box from another company you should also buy in Thailand and support the companys in Thailand and not support china ?

If i personally wanted PI Box i would buy in Thailand

Edited by james255