Those New Chinese Large Video Monitors All Around The City

elektrified

You must have noticed them, they are everywhere and more are going up every day. Some larger than others. But what is the point of them? I have not seen any particular marketing or advertising trend on them. Once in a while there is an ad for Samsung, other times Thai T.V. programming. They are just a distraction. The other night I saw 2 very close calls at the stop light by the moat at Chaiyaphum going towards the U.S. Consulate. Motorcyclists so tuned in to the Korean pop dancers on the telly that they were well into the intersection before they noticed the light was red and cars swerved to avoid them. I read somewhere that Thailand bought thousands of these from China.

Again, what's the point? It's already so dangerous to drive here and now a new distraction!

re

the stop light by the moat at Chaiyaphum going towards the U.S. Consulate

here it is .... but it wasnt turned on : (

dave2

I saw it running a Chevy commercial on Wednesday night last week. VERY bright...

-Mestizo

Will they be showing the footie?

Hopefully not.

When they show soccer on the big screens at Siam TV and Niyom Panich, it causes a big traffic disruption. People rapidly slowing down to see the score.. Cars stopping and blocking lanes of traffic to watch the match from the road.... Etc.

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Hopefully not.

When they show soccer on the big screens at Siam TV and Niyom Panich, it causes a big traffic disruption. People rapidly slowing down to see the score.. Cars stopping and blocking lanes of traffic to watch the match from the road.... Etc.

-Mestizo

If the purpose is to show content that no one wants to watch, then they may as well take them down. Anything will be distracting. What a crazy idea to put them up in the first place

• Like 2

re

the stop light by the moat at Chaiyaphum going towards the U.S. Consulate

here it is .... but it wasnt turned on : (

dave2

I saw it running a Chevy commercial on Wednesday night last week. VERY bright...

-Mestizo

Yes they really need to turn down the brightness at night.

• Like 1

they quite often have football showing on the one at the new harbour mall on huay kaew. the screen is pointing towards traffic driving up huay kaew towards the mountain and i've seen a couple of people have accidents already from staring up at the football from their scooters. top quality forward planning as ever.

If the purpose is to show content that no one wants to watch, then they may as well take them down.

And they shouldn't show commercials on TV, put ads in magazines, place billboards on the side of the road, or even have banner ads on ThaiVisa.. These are nothing more than digital billboards. Their primary purpose is advertising plain and simple, not providing free TV.

-Mestizo

they quite often have football showing on the one at the new harbour mall on huay kaew. the screen is pointing towards traffic driving up huay kaew towards the mountain and i've seen a couple of people have accidents already from staring up at the football from their scooters. top quality forward planning as ever.

Exactly. My thoughts too.

If the purpose is to show content that no one wants to watch, then they may as well take them down.

And they shouldn't show commercials on TV, put ads in magazines, place billboards on the side of the road, or even have banner ads on ThaiVisa.. These are nothing more than digital billboards. Their primary purpose is advertising plain and simple, not providing free TV.

-Mestizo

Video ads by the road are distracting to drivers. Drivers / riders here are bad enough already. May cause more accidents than we have already in CM. The other ads you talk about are irrelevant. Bye wink.png

-Mestizo

Video ads by the road are distracting to drivers. Drivers / riders here are bad enough already. May cause more accidents than we have already in CM. The other ads you talk about are irrelevant. Bye wink.png

I usually see eye to eye with Mestizo's posts but I disagree in this one. These are very distracting and a dangerous advertising gimmick. Indeed Thailand has the worst drivers anywhere I have seen. Now, along with people talking on their mobiles, listening to music, combing their hair, putting on make-up, and texting while they are driving/riding, they can now disregard the traffic and watch bright, colorful TV on large screens. Brilliant idea!

• Like 1

The number one thing your eyes are attracted to is motion.

So putting these things on the side of the road for the drivers to read is lunacy.

Another thing that is really off putting are those air propelled wind sock thingies they like to use to "grab" peoples attention.

Unfortunately no one told them, that by suddenly grabbing Somchais attention he might just veer off and drive straight into their noodle shop. Probably not quite what they had in mind.

• Like 1

-Mestizo

I usually see eye to eye with Mestizo's posts but I disagree in this one. These are very distracting and a dangerous advertising gimmick. Indeed Thailand has the worst drivers anywhere I have seen. Now, along with people talking on their mobiles, listening to music, combing their hair, putting on make-up, and texting while they are driving/riding, they can now disregard the traffic and watch bright, colorful TV on large screens. Brilliant idea!

NO, no, no, don't get me wrong. I definitely agree they are dangerous and cause problems. Reference Post #6 above.

I was simply debating one posters errant point where he thought they should be used to provide free sports TV.

My point was that these things are there as a new form of advertising (NOT free TV). Yes, I agree they are not good. Yes, I agree that usage will probably cause accidents.

-Mestizo

Edited by Mestizo

Just what drivers need, more blinking objects to easily distract them.

As for me these screens (very frequent in Bkk) do cause a glare issue for me. Too bright for drivers at night.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

-Mestizo

And to add to the list of dangerous activities while driving, add a mother with 2 small children - one front and one behind (asleep), driving on the wrong side of the road while talking on a mobile. I saw this earlier this morning (coincidentally right by the new TV monitor that is going up across from Rimping Sansai). Apparently I wasn't the only one shocked at this as I saw an older Thai woman pull over next to the woman and give her an earful!wink.png

• Like 2

The big one near Toyota on Mahidol road says LG on it, so I am assuming South Korean.

But that has been there a while.

Could be. Like I said, I read an article somewhere on Thailand's huge acquisition of these big screen TV's from China. But that doesn't mean they are all from China. Most of the ones going up now don't have any advertised brand that I can see.