Should Thais Learn English?

swissie

Yes, I believe. As a matter of necessety. In 2015 the ASEAN - Agreements come into effect. To my knowledge, most other conuntries that are part of it, make efforts to improve the english-skills of their citizens. Knowing, that english is the international language of trade, banking and commerce in general and will remain as this for many many years to come.

My son in law works in China and he negotiates every business-deal in english and not in Thai and not in Chinese, (mandarin or whatever). His comment: There are too many languages (and dialects) in Asian Coutries, if it wasen't for "English" we could not do any Inter-Asian-Commerce unless we would drag along 15 translators !!!

Knowing all this,what does Thailand do? = Cutting down on english-lessons in school. Or employing Thai-Teachers to teach the kids english, with the result that one can not understand a single sentence of english that the kids speak to you after having attended "english-classes" for 2 years or more.

So, after 2015, a massive "wake-up" call will have to take place here. Not to win the game, but just to stay "in the game". (= ASEAN).

Of course, the above comment will not find approval within the "Thai-Apologist-Community" of farangs. Fine. If having lived here long enough, one will undoubtedly have adopted to the Thai-Way of handling pending problems:

= Ignore them for the time beiing! After that, only Buddha knows.

Cheers.

• Like 2

That's a great question; I'm actually surprised by your insight as everything I've read in the news has indicated that the demand for bankers who can speak Mandarin has risen sharply, particularly in Singapore and Hong Kong. If anything I would have assumed that this trend would dissuade Thais from learning English.
I would like to see more opportunities for Thais to learn languages, English or Chinese, instead of expensive schooling being the only option. Taking English for example, there are great free online opportunities like www.starfall.com for children to learn to read but most Thais are ignorant of what's available or just can't read or understand. Thai parents would rather let their kids watch horror or ghost movies on their smartphones or tablets instead of letting them learn letters and sounds for free. The government could solve this cheaply with TV ads, it doesn't need to be expensive, but after I've seen the way the present government has allowed school fees to rise across the board I don't think they care as there is no money to be skimmed.

They should have say 10% of the regular public schools in each province equipped with world-class language teaching facilities.

And then allow the 10% top-academic performing students in each province go to those schools, with boarding subsidized.

With of course no corruption.

Pretty abstract "should" of course!

Thai's need to learn English and they know it. Many are trying to but most kids dont understand the importance yet. I dont blame many students, their kids. I will restate as in many of my posts that the education system is broken here and is not going to be fixed anytime soon. Put this together and it means one thing; JOB SECURITY for me thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

That's a great question; I'm actually surprised by your insight as everything I've read in the news has indicated that the demand for bankers who can speak Mandarin has risen sharply, particularly in Singapore and Hong Kong. If anything I would have assumed that this trend would dissuade Thais from learning English.

I would like to see more opportunities for Thais to learn languages, English or Chinese, instead of expensive schooling being the only option. Taking English for example, there are great free online opportunities like www.starfall.com for children to learn to read but most Thais are ignorant of what's available or just can't read or understand. Thai parents would rather let their kids watch horror or ghost movies on their smartphones or tablets instead of letting them learn letters and sounds for free. The government could solve this cheaply with TV ads, it doesn't need to be expensive, but after I've seen the way the present government has allowed school fees to rise across the board I don't think they care as there is no money to be skimmed.

Due to the schoolholiday the extended family are visiting. Amongst them 5 kids, so I logged on to starfall, had a good half hour with the kids, who actually surprised with their knowledge and the interest in the program. So I gave them the log-in adress, and then it came: we don't have internet. So here it not a question about, as you say, that Thais are ignorant, or just can't read or understand. There are sadly enough many children in this country, who never get the opportunity, because they live in the wrong part of the country. Something we tend to forget sometimes sitting in our resorttowns!

Thai's need to learn English and they know it. Many are trying to but most kids dont understand the importance yet. I dont blame many students, their kids. I will restate as in many of my posts that the education system is broken here and is not going to be fixed anytime soon. Put this together and it means one thing; JOB SECURITY for me thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

A broken system is part of the issue, but far larger is the learned nature of Thai people. The huge majority just have no interest in English being 'forced' on them and they have little true respect for foreigners, which is learned and drilled into them from birth. Another issue is their general lack of ability to think critically.

The Thai teachers at a prior school, some of which have been teaching for 20 years can't even speak one clear, proper phrase in respect to grammar and vocabulary. Proper pronunciation? Forget about it.

Edited by happysanook

They can't learn to speak English or another European language in a way that allows a meaningful conversation, and almost everybody with a Thai wife or girlfriend of many years can confirm this. To force them to learn English at school is casting pearls before swine.

They can't learn to speak English or another European language in a way that allows a meaningful conversation, and almost everybody with a Thai wife or girlfriend of many years can confirm this. To force them to learn English at school is casting pearls before swine.

Gotta say <deleted> to this statement.. There are many, many Thais that can converse well in English. But i suppose it does depend on what you mean by 'meaningful'

• Like 1

They should have say 10% of the regular public schools in each province equipped with world-class language teaching facilities.

And then allow the 10% top-academic performing students in each province go to those schools, with boarding subsidized.

With of course no corruption.

Pretty abstract "should" of course!

There are already many schools that have good equipment and teachers, And the students learn well.. but when it comes to test time they still have to take and pass the broken MOE tests.. The whole system needs looking at.. different books and resources used in pretty much EVERY school.. and yet they have MOE issued standardized tests... Doesn't work, can't work.

Gotta say <deleted> to this statement.. There are many, many Thais that can converse well in English. But i suppose it does depend on what you mean by 'meaningful'

Ok. I watched enough interviews of Thaksin, Sundaravej, Abhisit and Yingluck in English, and if those people had applied for a job in the small company I run, I would have declined.

A little forward planning might shed a different light on your question.

If you are referring to what language should Thai children learn as a second language ... maybe Chinese, given the growth profile of that country would also be beneficial (in addition to English).

My gf's neice is already taking Chinese lessons in addition to her regular schooling.

The world will be a much different place from what it is now in 20, 30 or 40 years time when these Thai school children are representing their companies on an Asian or world stage.

Ok. I watched enough interviews of Thaksin, Sundaravej, Abhisit and Yingluck in English, and if those people had applied for a job in the small company I run, I would have declined.

But surely not Abhisit? who's English is superb,and flawless!

That a nation with a long and well established national educational system has not produced english language skills anywhere near as good as those to be found amongst its often poorer neighbours is no accident.

• Like 1

I studied French in high school for 5 years and can't speak a word. I went to an excellent school with dedicated teachers and good facilities. But all this counts for nought when you are 12000 miles from the nearest french speaking country and you don't get to practice on a regular basis.

So hopefully that is food for thought for all those who think that a wave of the first world wand is going to solve this issue.

They key driver of this, like most things in life is necessity. For most, there simply is about as much need to speak English as for an Englishman to learn French. Nice to give directions but not much more.

For those who need to, they do, and there are plenty of Thai's who speak pretty darn good english within the corporate sector and government.

I also find it funny why people think that not enough Thai's speak English. Take a straw poll of Thai Visa's finest and I'm guessing you'll find that most long termers live here without needing to speak Thai. I wonder why?

Now I know you're talking <deleted> if you include Abhisit as a poor English speaker.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Kids in my town have spent their first 6 years (primary school) "learning" English from Thai teachers. They hang around our house sometimes. I say, slowly and with deliberate enunciation, "How old are you?" They give me a look. "What are you going to eat for lunch?" Zip. Giggles.

My GF and I give some free lessons, even buying the textbooks. Few have stayed, as of yesterday, only eight.

I guess because now that they have perfected their second language, many have moved on and enrolled in a summer course to learn Mandarin.

• Like 2

China, recognizing the importance of communicating in English, has undertaken a massive program to teach English to their kids. Soon the importance of learning Chinese dialects will be diminished as most Chinese will speak English in short order. It is the defacto business language of the world. Having at least one employee who has a good handle on English in parts of Thailand where they have foreign speaking customers is a no brainer. The Asean opening up soon will certainly be quite the spectacle for the Thai culture that hates, and discourages adaptation and improvement in any way shape or form. Even rose colored glasses will not filter this upcoming debacle...after the dust finally settles, Thailand will improve in many ways...