Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

where does it say there was a head kicked in??
The bit where it says a man is in hospital with facial injuries that arent life threatening, was the analogy too much for you to comprehend?

Wow, you really do assume without waiting to know the facts come out...(Never heard of Innocent until proven guilty?) All anyone knows at this time are details given to the press. Six men were detained (inc Gerrard). And 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries, not thought to be life-threatening.

I assumed from the FACTS given by plod that someone had their head kicked in as they are in hospital with facial wounds after a brawl, what is wrong in making this assumption with the FACTS given by the police?

where does it say there was a head kicked in??
The bit where it says a man is in hospital with facial injuries that arent life threatening, was the analogy too much for you to comprehend?

Wow, you really do assume without waiting to know the facts come out...(Never heard of Innocent until proven guilty?) All anyone knows at this time are details given to the press. Six men were detained (inc Gerrard). And 34-year-old man from Southport was taken to hospital with facial injuries, not thought to be life-threatening.

I assumed from the FACTS given by plod that someone had their head kicked in as they are in hospital with facial wounds after a brawl, what is wrong in making this assumption with the FACTS given by the police?

Head kicked in? again there you go again... Well after Gerrard's dazzling performance the Police may of held him for photos and signatures :o .

On a serious note though I hope it wasn't Gerrard responsible or any kind of retaliation etc...And just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time...He has been a true Pro and role model during his career. However no one should be above the law!

Totally neutral viewpoint here. Unfortunately footballers get harrassed wherever they go and in the main they ignore it. Stevie G hasn't been involved in this type of incident before and i'm sure he must have been tempted to retaliate on many occasions but he has resisted. IMO, IF he did it, i'm pretty sure he has been provoked way above the threshold that most of us would have endured. Lets get the full facts first.

Ok lads. You know the rules. I let a lot slide in the football forum as its banter. But calling each other names like fuc_king prick and wanke_r etc etc. Thats not on. I have deleted a few posts and given out a couple of warnings. Please keep it civil. As you were.

The other thread about Gerrard being lifted has been closed for some reason.

The last poster described the bar where this happened as his "regular drinking hole", well if this is right his tastes have obviously not kept pace with his income. Once you are a rich celebrity, going to places like that mean it's only a matter of time before something kicks off and you get dragged into it.

Totally neutral viewpoint here. Unfortunately footballers get harrassed wherever they go and in the main they ignore it. Stevie G hasn't been involved in this type of incident before and i'm sure he must have been tempted to retaliate on many occasions but he has resisted. IMO, IF he did it, i'm pretty sure he has been provoked way above the threshold that most of us would have endured. Lets get the full facts first.

Well written. An air of sanity prevails.

The last poster described the bar where this happened as his "regular drinking hole", well if this is right his tastes have obviously not kept pace with his income. Once you are a rich celebrity, going to places like that mean it's only a matter of time before something kicks off and you get dragged into it.

Since this is the Liverpool thread and its already being discussed here. I see no point of having 2 threads saying the same stuff.

Glass throwing at a DJ according to the news. Not a fan of Liverpol, but certainly a fan of Gerrards talent. I hope it will not amount to much as he is iconic for a lot of kids and this is not what he should be remembered for ala Barton ( who no matter how good he is will always be a thug by reputation ).

The last poster described the bar where this happened as Gerrards "regular drinking hole", well if this is right his tastes have obviously not kept pace with his income. Once you are a rich celebrity, going to places like that mean it's only a matter of time before something kicks off and you get dragged into it.

Since this is the Liverpool thread and its already being discussed here. I see no point of having 2 threads saying the same stuff.

Jockstar, makes perfect sense to me but the link was not up when I posted, hence my inoffensive and innocuous observation.

from BBC

England and Liverpool footballer Steven Gerrard has been charged with assault and affray following a disturbance outside a Merseyside nightclub.

The 28-year-old was arrested along with five other men near the Lounge Inn in Southport in the early hours of Monday.

A 34-year-old man was taken to hospital with facial injuries, not thought to be life-threatening.

John Doran, 29, and Ian Smith, 19, both from Huyton, Liverpool, have also been charged and bailed over the incident.

All three will appear at North Sefton Magistrates' Court on 23 January, accused of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray.

Three other men have been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the guy that was smacked is a dj and a manc fan, many rumours flying about but one says he was baiting gerrard and gerrards friends got involved, gerrard was the peacemaker (eyewitness account). another says that gerrard wanted to get into the dj booth and the dj pushed him out so gerrard hit him, another says a glass was thrown etc.

to be fair gerrard takes some stick over the whole 'the babies not yours' and has never retaliated so it is possible he was breaking it up.

anyway the worst injury was a lost tooth, the worrying thing here is the affray charge. it is possible that gerrard was involved as peacemaker which can give the impression of being involved, and I am sure the manc here will be milking it for all he is worth, as we all know a civil claim will go in soon so i am not surprised he has dragged the big fish in for the extra bucks.

anyway all speculation and innocent until proven guilty, something the mancs and chavs on here would do well to remember following the recent rape claims against a manc player as well as rooneys assault on a photographer and rio's drug problem, and the classless terrys assault charge a few years back for the chavs, and lets not forget the pedo rix

anyway all speculation and innocent until proven guilty, something the mancs and chavs on here would do well to remember following the recent rape claims against a manc player as well as rooneys assault on a photographer and rio's drug problem, and the classless terrys assault charge a few years back for the chavs, and lets not forget the pedo rix

All very good points. However, extremely disappointing for this to happen and be in the news, whatever his involvement. Lets hope it's not a distraction. Bellamy had some cases going on while he was at Liverpool, and it didn't seem to be a distraction, however he wasn't the captain nor was he of the stature that Gerrard is at the club. That said, it seems a minor incident from the few details we know. I'm sure many here have probably been involved in similar dustups that resulted in no charges, as nobody here is a famous footballer.

that what is boils down to jim, his stature. I am sure throughout the country this type of thing happened in every town that night, however joe bloggs from derby is not news. the manc press and that fuc_king comic the s*n will speculate to their hearts content over this in the hope that their knuckle dragging readers will buy into it. anyway at some point the truth will come out.

as for gerrards state of mind, he plays through dogs abuse every week and gets on with his game so hopefully he will carry on with this. i am sure the clubs solicitor kevin dooley will have put his mind at rest, there will be no prison for this as a first offence should he be guilty of anything. I doubt gerrard was drunk as his car was outside the bar and i doubt he would leave his bentley there all night. (my speculation)

anyway lets wait for the club statement instead of the tabloid trash, the s*n apparently are going with G.B.H in large letters across their front page, but we all know how false their capital letter headlines can be in relation to our club and city.

as for opposition fans on here, let them gloat, shows the jealousy they have, i am sure they would ALL have him in a heartbeat

this report says he has been charged with section 47, this is a lesser charge than section 20.

Steven Gerrard charged with assault and affray after alleged brawl

Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool and England footballer, has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray, police have said, after an argument over music being played in a restaurant allegedly escalated into a violent brawl.

By Gordon Rayner, Paul Stokes and Murray Wardrop

Last Updated: 2:53AM GMT 30 Dec 2008

Gerrard, 28, was charged early on Tuesday morning over the alleged fracas in which Marcus McGee, a company director, lost a tooth and needed four stitches to a head wound.

He was released from custody at Southport police station almost two hours earlier after police interviewed him and the other five men, aged between 18 and 33 - none of whom are team-mates of Gerrard - for most of the day.

Meryside police said Gerrard and two other men were charged with ABH and affray.

The other three have been bailed pending further inquiries.

Inspector Swan, spokesman for Merseyside Police, said in a statement: "Merseyside Police have charged Steven Gerrard, 28, of Formby, John Doran, 29, Ian Smith , 19, both of Huyton with Assault causing Actual Bodily Harm and affray following an incident in Bold Street, Southport.

"All three men will appear at North Sefton magistrates on Jan 23rd.

"Three other men who were interviewed over the same incident have been bailed.

"They were released earlier tonight."

The charges, under section 47 of the Offences Against the Person Act, carry up to five years in jail.

Wearing a white t-shirt and smart black trousers, Gerrard attempted to cover his face with his hands before being driven away in a black Citroen Xsara people carrier, believed to be driven by his father.

The Liverpool captain had been celebrating Sunday's 5-1 win over Newcastle United, in which he scored twice, when a row is said to have broken out involving Mr McGee about the music being played at The Lounge Inn in Southport, Merseyside.

Gerrard is understood to have asked Mr McGee, a friend of the restaurant's owner, if he could borrow a swipe card which staff must use to operate the music system behind the bar.

Mr McGee is said to have refused to provide his card.

Mr McGee, 34, a father of two, also suffered cuts to his face and a swollen eye.

Ok lads. You know the rules. I let a lot slide in the football forum as its banter. But calling each other names like fuc_king prick and wanke_r etc etc. Thats not on. I have deleted a few posts and given out a couple of warnings. Please keep it civil. As you were.

fair play.

redscouse, apologies for the earlier comment man. will keep a civil tongue in my virtual head in future.

Stevie h,enjoy your posts keep it up.any word on when Torres will return? also still wondering why Keane was left out last nite??

Stevie Gerrard arrested...yes as i mentioned in my earlier post..........allegedly is a big word.

torres is almost back, i have a mate who gets quite a bit of inside info and he reckons that torres will play some part against preston in the cup as an ease back in, then be back on the bench against stoke. they want to make sure that his hammy is properly healed and are targetting him starting the derby.

All very good points. However, extremely disappointing for this to happen and be in the news, whatever his involvement. Lets hope it's not a distraction. Bellamy had some cases going on while he was at Liverpool, and it didn't seem to be a distraction, however he wasn't the captain nor was he of the stature that Gerrard is at the club. That said, it seems a minor incident from the few details we know. I'm sure many here have probably been involved in similar dustups that resulted in no charges, as nobody here is a famous footballer.

it's important at this point not to assume or presume anything and just deal with what's known for definite. which is that gerrard has been charged, but that charge can be made for a number of reasons, from eyewitness testimony to just the word of the alleged victim, who as has been pointed out, is a man united fan and would as such have something of an agenda. that bar does have CCTV though so it's possible that the police have already reviewed the footage from that and charged gerrard accordingly. but for now it's absolutely innocent until proven guilty.

that said i'm annoyed at gerrard for two things in this, one that he was even in a bar in southport at 2.30am where there are going to be drunk people and many people who don't like him and two, that he was apparently asking the DJ to play phil bloody collins. footballers' musical tastes are crap.

oh and we looked like champions against newcastle. that ruthless streak that we've been missing, even without alonso, torres, keane and other senior players. first real time this season that i've begun to believe that it might be on.

Edited by StevieH

Stevie h,enjoy your posts keep it up.any word on when Torres will return? also still wondering why Keane was left out last nite??

Stevie Gerrard arrested...yes as i mentioned in my earlier post..........allegedly is a big word.

sorry man, and re your point about keane apparently he'd had a light strain after the bolton match so rafa didn't want to play him unless he really had to. hence why ngog got the runout instead. team against preston should be interesting.

fair play.

redscouse, apologies for the earlier comment man. will keep a civil tongue in my virtual head in future.

I wasn't aware that you had made any uncivil comments towards me mate

I wasn't aware that you had made any uncivil comments towards me mate

enough for a yellow card in the era of the 'respect' campaign man. you need to stop slagging dirk off. :o

I will do you a deal then, if/when dirky becomes a footballer rather than just a hard worker I will stop slagging him off :D I really don't see the point in making out he is something he isn't. I know you see him differently to me but I see him as no more than a squad player, never a regular.

anyway I think we both know where I stand on him :D and feel free to call me names in pm, I am big and ugly enough to laugh about it. it's a forum steve, I know you don't know me, its my opinion you dont like rather than you don't like me.

Anyway we are still top, the mncs scraped another win last night, lets hope we keep going, thats what is important

I will do you a deal then, if/when dirky becomes a footballer rather than just a hard worker I will stop slagging him off :D I really don't see the point in making out he is something he isn't. I know you see him differently to me but I see him as no more than a squad player, never a regular.

anyway I think we both know where I stand on him :o and feel free to call me names in pm, I am big and ugly enough to laugh about it. it's a forum steve, I know you don't know me, its my opinion you dont like rather than you don't like me.

Anyway we are still top, the mncs scraped another win last night, lets hope we keep going, thats what is important

mate i am totally at home with debating reds players with other fans and can kind of understand where some fans are coming from in not appreciating kuyt. he's not flash, he's not flair, he just gets on with the job he's told to do by the manager and works his arse off. every successful side we've ever had has had one of these guys, from sammy lee to ronnie whelan to jimmy case to even nigel spackman. kuyt does what he's asked to do, never shirks or shies away and is a better footballer technically than he gets credit for. his link-up play as a lone front man against the barcodes was great, real unselfish stuff, and he's been involved in most of our goals lately in one form or another.

to quote 80s tv favourite the fall guy, kuyt is the unknown stuntman who makes gerrard and torres look so fine.

to quote 80s tv favourite the fall guy, kuyt is the unknown stuntman who makes gerrard and torres look so fine.

steve he would make look good :D

i don't know what that means in english but i'll take it as a tacit endorsement of kuyt's qualities. :o

steve he would make look good :D

i don't know what that means in english but i'll take it as a tacit endorsement of kuyt's qualities. :o

typo, i missed the word 'me' :D

Steven Gerrard arrest: Brawl claim is like poison to model pro

Oliver Holt 30/12/2008

It is hard to think of anyone less likely than Steven Gerrard to be facing allegations of assault in a late-night bar.

The Liverpool captain has matured into the epitome of the conscientious, committed, responsible kind of professional footballer.

He is the opposite of the spoilt, out-of-control, boorish minority of players who have given modern footballers a bad name.

Everything about him exudes honesty and courtesy and, of course, a fierce will to win.

And most of all, he has always felt a keen sense of duty to uphold the image of Liverpool FC, the great Merseyside institution he represents.

Involvement in this kind of incident, however marginal his role may turn out to be, will be like poison to him. He will be torturing himself for even being near a brawl in a Southport bar.

Gerrard shies from publicity and does not relish the limelight off the pitch.

He will also know this is just about the worst time for his focus on his game to be disrupted. His team are three points clear in the Premier League and fresh from a 5-1 thrashing of Newcastle on Sunday.

They were beginning to look as though they might be building the kind of momentum that could hold off the title favourites, Chelsea and Manchester Utd. And there is real optimism that the club side can win its first top flight title for 19 years.

And yet now Gerrard, who has a vulnerable side and often needs reassurance, has found himself caught up in nightclub mess.

He is Liverpool's most important player and the club's management and supporters will be hoping the furore quickly abates.

The consolation for them and for Gerrard is that recent years have shown it has become fashionable to accuse footballers of wrong-doing, often without any evidence to back it up. Modern players have become trophy victims for those seeking publicity.

Time and again, players have been subjected to lurid allegations only for charges to be dropped

Liverpool fans will be hoping their instincts about Gerrard are right and that he will soon be free to get on with his life.

Daily Mail

Steven Gerrard was today charged with assault and affray following a nightclub brawl, Merseyside police said.

The 28-year-old Liverpool captain was arrested along with five other men near the Lounge Inn in Southport in the early hours of Monday.

He was charged this morning along with two other men who had also been arrested after the altercation.

The venue's DJ, 34-year-old Marcus McGee, required hospital treatment after suffering facial injuries.

Gerrard, 28, was released from Southport police station early this morning.

He was at the restaurant and bar - which turns into a nightclub - with friends to celebrate Liverpool's 5-1 destruction of Newcastle United.

In a statement, a Merseyside Police spokesman said: 'Merseyside Police has charged Steven Gerrard, 28 years, of Formby, Sefton, John Doran, 29, and Ian Smith, 19 years, both from Huyton, Liverpool, with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and affray following an incident at Bold Street in Southport in the early hours of Monday, December 29.

'The three men will be appearing at North Sefton Magistrates' Court on January 23.'

The spokesman said Gerrard and the two other men had been bailed and three other men, aged 18, 31 and 33, who were arrested in connection with the incident were bailed pending further inquiries.

After the game on Sunday the Reds' captain, who scored twice, hailed his table-topping side as the best he has played in.

But several hours later he was apparently caught up in a brawl outside the Lounge Inn in Bold Street.

Police were called and arrested six men on suspicion of assault in nearby Lord Street.

The town centre business remained shut yesterday but evidence of a fight inside could be seen through the windows.

Earlier in the night, the 28-year-old father of two looked happy and relaxed as he posed for photographs with fans. Yet soon afterwards he was in a cell accused of taking part in a violent assault.

Mr McGee, 34, lost a tooth and suffered cuts and bruises when he was allegedly set upon by the footballer and his friends after refusing to play Gerrard's favourite song while acting as a DJ in a bar in Southport, Merseyside.

Witnesses of the alleged attack said Mr McGee, a Manchester United fan, was in charge of a card which allowed the music to be changed.

They claimed Gerrard asked for a particular tune but was told that it was not club policy to play requests.

At that point the footballer allegedly pushed past Mr McGee, catching him with an elbow.

A police source said: 'Mr McGee retaliated and swore at Gerrard, which was when Gerrard's mates turned violent and assaulted him.'

Friends of the England star insisted he had been reacting to provocation and had thrown no punches himself.

Mr McGee, a father of two who runs a double glazing firm, was taken to hospital where he received four stitches to his forehead and treatment on a cut nose, swollen eye and a dislodged tooth.

A witness told the Sun (obviously not true if it is in this rag)newspaper there had been bad feeling in the bar earlier. He said: 'Marcus came into the bar with two friends and some time later Gerrard walked in. One of Gerrard's mates hadhad a dispute with one of Marcus's pals and they eyeballed each other.

'Marcus stepped in a peacemaker and it calmed down for a while. Everyone was drinking and having a good time, but when Marcus's mates left, he was on his own and that's when he and Gerrard started rowing by the dancefloor.'

The bar was closed for much of yesterday while damage from the 2am brawl was cleared up. Spots of blood were clearly visible on the floor.

Gerrard and five friends - all but one from the tough working class Huyton area where he grew up - were arrested on suspicion of assault and ordered to spend the night in the cells at the town's police station.

It is understood that questioning did not begin until yesterday afternoon.

Gerrard's glamorous wife, model Alex Curran, 26, arrived during the afternoon wearing grey jeans, black boots and a black fur-trimmed leather jacket.

She was herself questioned by police following a fight in the Shangri-La restaurant in Liverpool in August 2006, but no charges were brought.

After leaving a coffee shop near the police station she refused to answer questions before driving off in her Bentley.

Another Bentley with a personalised number plate which was parked outside the Lounge Inn with a parking ticket on the windscreen was later picked up by a friend of Gerrard.

Neither the player's agent nor his club released any statement about the incident yesterday as they waited to find out whether he would be charged.

Gerrard used to have a flat in Southport but his rising profile made him a target on nights out and he moved into a £ 3million gated mansion in nearby Formby.

He returned to his old haunts, however, following Sunday's victory, after which he gave interviews about the need to 'remain humble, keep our feet on the ground'.

It is not known if he had been given permission by his manager, although Liverpool's next match is not until Saturday, against Preston in the FA Cup.

The supporter who had his picture taken with Gerrard shortly before the fight broke out said the footballer was 'in a good mood'.

The fan, who did not give his name, told ITV news: 'He seemed buoyant. I'm shocked that anything would have happened. I had a chat with him in the toilet and he was chuffed with the victory and it all seemed very nice.'

The fan added that he left the bar before the fight broke out.

Merseyside police said six arrests had been made on suspicion of a 'section 20 assault', which carries a maximum sentence of five years. Those in custody apart from Gerrard were four men from Huyton aged 33, 31, 29 and 19, and an 18-year-old from Litherland.

Gerrard is the latest in a long line of footballers to become involved in unsavoury incidents off the pitch.

Almost exactly a year ago, Joey Barton, who also grew up in Huyton, attacked a passerby after a night out in Liverpool, knocking him to the ground and punching him up to 20 times.

The 25-year-old, who plays for Newcastle United, was given a six-month jail sentence but served less than half - even though at the time of the attack he was on bail for attacking former team-mate Ousmane Dabo during training. He later received a suspended sentence for that offence as well as a 12-game ban.

In 2002, Chelsea's John Terry stood trial along with teammate Jody Morris accused of attacking a nightclub bouncer. Both were cleared.

The same year another current England international, Jonathan Woodgate, now of Spurs, was found guilty of affray but cleared of causing grievous bodily harm with intent over a brutal street attack on Asian student Sarfraz Najeib in Leeds.

His team-mate Lee Bowyer was cleared of causing GBH with intent and affray.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is the link with pictures

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...-bar-brawl.html

the bold parts are mine

I read that same account, redscouse, but another account I read said that Gerrard only somehow struck his elbow to the bloke's mouth after the bloke shoved him and swore at him. No idea where they got all the eyewitness accounts so quickly, though :o ? Anyway, if that account is true and I know that's assuming a great amount, it seems a very minor thing Gerrard did, however he realized what he did and stepped back, and then his mates went to town on the fake DJ. That's what that account says, but it'd be nice to know the truth, and the truth has to come from witnesses and obviously not the victim. If that account is true, at least for Gerrard and not his mates who were bashing beer bottles on the guy's head and probably punching him in the face or roughing him up somehow, I don't see how Gerrard will get anything harsh from this. Seems much ado about nothing. I think he's only been charged because the fight started with him and the other guy in the first place. Looks like self defense. Case closed.

Anyway, I'm quite depressed about this whole mess. Maybe I should go to bed now. I know I'm wildly speculating with not enough info, but could Carra be given the captain's armband regardless of what happens?

Edited by Jimjim