Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

best we've played all season that, marvellous stuff. and that lad suarez looks a wee bit good doesn't he?

Yeah he was a joy to watch, and i say that as a United supporter. He should have been the one leaving the pitch with the hattrick to his name - 10 times the player Kuyt will ever be.

Reds Train at "the Quarry"

Check out these pics from lfc.tv, Braga have quite a unique stadium, interesting. Never really heard of the Quarry, to be honest, I don't pay much attention to football in Portugal.

Suarez is training with the lads there but obviously he can't play as he's cup-tied and they even took along injured players Kelly and Jonjo.

One notable absence from the traveling party is Jovanovic. Not injured as far as I know yet he hasn't even traveled, he's really become a forgotten man, it seems. Would like to see him get a few more chances as I think he really hasn't shown his true quality for us, I think he has an eye for goal as he has proved on at least two occasions this season. Can't see him sticking around after this season, though, unless he gets another chance to impress.

And how do you reckon we'll set up?

Looking at the personnel available we've brought five defenders so I think we may go with five at the back again with Lucas, Meireles, Maxi, Kuyt and then Ngog up front. Perhaps he'll throw Poulsen in there instead of Maxi to crowd out the midfield but I hope not, ha ha. Perhaps it'd be Spearing, instead, if he did that, though.

Either that or Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel and Wilson at the back with Lucas, Meireles, Cole, Maxi, Kuyt and Ngog.

That's what I reckon, anyway. Carroll should be on the bench and will come on with 20-30 minutes left for Ngog, I'd bet.

Edited by Jimjim

I found an interesting site that explains the economics of the EPL and the position of the top clubs as well as the impact of the 'fair play rules' in a manner that is very simple to understand. It also has some very interesting details such as that EPL clubs cannot 'income and expense' transfer rights because it is against UK accounting policies.

This article is very new and shows the revenue breakdown of all the EPL clubs. You can clearly see there are 'six players' and Aston Villa (7th is so far behind it doesnt compete.) Note that the 09/10 figures include CL numbers which boost Liverpool about 30m net compared to 10/11 and understate Spurs. Also interesting for the numbers on Spanish and German clubs.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/03/is-footballs-gravy-train-slowing-down.html?utm_source=BP_recent

This article shows how Chelsea can meet easily meet the new rules even after the recent acquisitions. The assumptions are very much based on Chelsea being in the CL for the foreseeable future. Also implies they have more room to spend.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/02/chelseas-financial-fair-play-challenge.html?utm_source=BP_recent

This shows the dire straits that the teams outside the top 6 are in. The wage to turnover figure is key as well as wage base. Sunderland were 6th and you can see why they had to sell Darren Bent and cannot compete.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/2011/03/sunderlands-problem-is-not-their-fans.html?utm_source=BP_recent

There is a highly imaginative article about Man City's finances too.

I found an interesting site that explains the economics of the EPL and the position of the top clubs as well as the impact of the 'fair play rules' in a manner that is very simple to understand.

Which is a really good thing given the fact you're in teh Liverpool thread...:D

Anything on Sabermetrics at all have you found, or is that reserved for another Sport ??

I found an interesting site that explains the economics of the EPL and the position of the top clubs as well as the impact of the 'fair play rules' in a manner that is very simple to understand.

Which is a really good thing given the fact you're in teh Liverpool thread...:D

Anything on Sabermetrics at all have you found, or is that reserved for another Sport ??

I posted it in the Liverpool thread because I thought it would be of interest to Liverpool fans.

The fact is that soccer is virtually all about money. 89% of the variation of a clubs average position in the league is determined by the wage bill (in a single season it falls to 70%). In Serie A the correlation is 93%. Given that the 'fair play rules' give a strong bias towards the wages you pay being controlled by the revenues that you generate rather than simply 'entirely' the size of your bank balance, then it becomes fairly easy to determine exactly what position any given club is 'competitively' positioned to place in the league over time.

For a Liverpool fan he can only really determine Liverpool's position on knowing their position relative to the clubs they are competing against (and the rules that 'actually' constitute 'fair play'). You simply have to accept that as well as a football 'league table', there is an 'economic league' table in football.

The fact that you confuse 'sabermetrics' which is the name given to the use of rigorous statistical techniques in 'baseball' with a 'sabermetrics' approach to soccer and the fact that you think that use of 'rigorous statistical analysis' seems to have no place in soccer is your own personal opinion (based, I rather suspect on the fact that you dont understand the subject.) However, a quick google of Comolli or J Henry and sabermetrics will clearly show you that they do believe in this sort of analysis and it is part of their strategy (so it is clearly relevant to LFC.)

As an example, under Kenny Dalglish we can see 2 salient facts as to performance.

1) The team has produced 2 exceptionally good results against Chelsea and Man U. A poor team might achieve one of those but two is unlikely.

2) In 4 matches against the bottom 6 under Kenny, the team dropped 8 points. That is more points than any team in the top 4 has dropped against the bottom 6 during the whole season to date. (It gets worse if you look at GD.)

These are two simple facts based on very little data. However what it tells 'football fans' about the club maybe entirely different to what it tells people qualified and employed to study statistics for a living.

Edited by Abrak

I feel sorry for his/her Missus/Husband, Jesus..

But i love Americans so i know how to ignore theor awful Sarcasm & their thinking that everyone else is stupid..:)

I am not going to debate the subject with you Singh. The simple fact is that our club uses both statistical analysis and econometrics in their decision making process. From that perspective I think it is relevant for Liverpool fans.

I cannot explain non-linear equations to people in a post in the same way that a football follower cannot explain 442 or 451 advantages in a post. I am a management consultant who is explicitly employed to use objective statistical analysis to advise companies and industries (on which I have next to no knowledge) on the basis that their entrenched assumptions should always be tested while their underlying business and company fundamentals are rapidly evolving.

Your assumption that 'Americans' (or anyone else for that matter) makes an investment based on 'stupidity' is not a 'good one' on the basis that when it goes wrong you will be proved to be an absolute 'moron'.

I simply wish to contribute to this thread by sharing what statistical data might imply (whether Liverpool fans like it not) on the basis that it will be used in the decision making process. Obviously if we simply argue the fact that statistical analysis is flawed and our owners and DOF are inherently stupid then people will think we are 'boring'.

Singh, I will be honest, I dont think you have the vaguest idea what you are talking about when it comes down to statistical analysis. So I think you should shut up. I think you know far more and far less than you think you know about football. And I guarantee you 100% that if your above argument (1) boring (2) stupidity is the sum total of your intellect, I am rather surprised you can actually switch on a computer.

But i love Americans so i know how to ignore theor awful Sarcasm & their thinking that everyone else is stupid..:)

I am not going to debate the subject with you Singh. The simple fact is that our club uses both statistical analysis and econometrics in their decision making process. From that perspective I think it is relevant for Liverpool fans.

I cannot explain non-linear equations to people in a post in the same way that a football follower cannot explain 442 or 451 advantages in a post. I am a management consultant who is explicitly employed to use objective statistical analysis to advise companies and industries (on which I have next to no knowledge) on the basis that their entrenched assumptions should always be tested while their underlying business and company fundamentals are rapidly evolving.

Your assumption that 'Americans' (or anyone else for that matter) makes an investment based on 'stupidity' is not a 'good one' on the basis that when it goes wrong you will be proved to be an absolute 'moron'.

I simply wish to contribute to this thread by sharing what statistical data might imply (whether Liverpool fans like it not) on the basis that it will be used in the decision making process. Obviously if we simply argue the fact that statistical analysis is flawed and our owners and DOF are inherently stupid then people will think we are 'boring'.

Singh, I will be honest, I dont think you have the vaguest idea what you are talking about when it comes down to statistical analysis. So I think you should shut up. I think you know far more and far less than you think you know about football. And I guarantee you 100% that if your above argument (1) boring (2) stupidity is the sum total of your intellect, I am rather surprised you can actually switch on a computer.

:clap2::fight:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love the Liverpool thread. Wheres singher? Abrak might just have worked you out mate. ;) You really can't let this one go....:o

:lol: :lol: :lol: I love the Liverpool thread. Wheres singher? Abrak might just have worked you out mate. ;) You really can't let this one go....:o

Singher's finger hovered over the on button twice already this morning....but he just can't bring himself to do it today.....wonder why? :lol:

I never thought for a moment you would..With your thinking that would be relevent to Liverpool Fans, it is clear you have no idea about Merseyside & it's people.

I can explain the advantages of a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1, quite clearly & pretty easily thank you very much, & i'm sure stevie could too..

If you think that me thinking LFC spending 35m on a Player who was injured & who has played his only full Season in his career, at 22 Years Old, in teh Championship, makes me a Moron, then it says more about you than me..

Good luck to you then..

Sad to resort to such insults Abrak me thinks ( even sadder the Clowns below underneath your Post who think it's great but there we go ) but again that says more about you than it does me, but you'd be right, i know little or nothing about statistical analysis & have never proclaimed to, but that's also because i'm a Football Fan & not a Baseball Fan really nor an anal American Fan that gets the two mixed up..Have a nice day.

:)

:clap2::fight:

Just out of curiosity, what do you find worthy of a round of applause in that Post Big Toe ??

I'm intrigued to read your stringing of a few sentences together, if possible ?? :)

I have to say I think you're a bit of a clown coming on here and spouting off this drivel. But when you start insulting the posters here who frankly are simply taking the piss out off you in a fair and reasonable manner then you are way off base pal.

Talk football here or bore off to the business forum will ya!

I have to say I think you're a bit of a clown coming on here and spouting off this drivel. But when you start insulting the posters here who frankly are simply taking the piss out off you in a fair and reasonable manner then you are way off base pal.

Talk football here or bore off to the business forum will ya!

I see what you did there Smokes..:D

I like Big Toe's response the best though, he applauded someone who said " i cannot explain non-linear equations to people in a Post in the same way that a Football Follower cannot explain the advantages of playing a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1 in a Post "..

He thought that was great did Big Toe..

What he didn't see, for numerous reasons, was that same Poster, in that same Post, in that same sentence, calling him thick, as he is a Football Follwoer..

Edit : Let's also see now if stevie chimes in as i know he could explain the advantage of playing a 4-5-1 & a 4-4-2 in one Post, Dev too without a doubt..

Let's see if they chime in and side with me or side with their " fellow Fan "..:)

Interesting times ahead Gentlemen me thinks..

Edited by MSingh

I simply do not get what you are trying to prove Singh.

1) You have criticized the appointment of KD, Steve Clarke, Comolli and our owners based purely on your personal opinion and the fact now that you know 'Merseyside and its people'.

2) You have said that a sabermetrics, statistical approach to soccer is worthless while admitting to having no knowledge of rigorous statistical analysis. That is not even an argument.

3) You have implied that our owners 'assume everyone else is stupid' which is an inherently poor assumption to make (I believe it is a 'stupid one')

4) You believe that soccernomics is boring/irrelevant despite the fact that you could simply take the 3 highest wage bills of all EPL, place them in order for 09/10 and have written down the top 3 teams in the league in the correct order.

5) Given that the analysis that the management and owners use, influences their decision making it 'MUST' be relevant even if it is wrong. That is a statement of fact rather than opinion.

6) You now claim that you understand Merseyside and its people and that they deem what is relevant or not to LFC. This is neither true as a supposition (that Merseysiders control the club) nor does it sit well in my opinion with your criticism of Dalglish's appointment. But you may well understand Merseyside better than me.

7) I in no way wish to imply that knowledge of soccer is not relevant or important in this business. I am sure you 'CAN' explain the advantages of different formations just as I can explain non-linnear equations. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would be in the slightest bit interested in a post on either subject. My point about soccer knowledge is very simple - I have faith in KD and team that they understand soccer - the right players to play given their resources and the right formation etc. I just dont happen to be interested in the subject nor know much about it so I dont choose to comment on something I know nothing about. I do assume that LFC knows at least as much as you on this issue which is hardly a heroic assumption.

8) I do not think your criticism of our manager, management and owners is justified. Our owners know what they dont know and they also know far more about things that you even admit to not even understanding.

I simply do not get what you are trying to prove Singh. - I'm not trying to " prove " anything specific. This all started with your Club buying a Player who has played his only full Career, at 22 Years Old ( that's not young in Footballing terms ), in the Championship, for $55m USD plus. There is no way on Gods Earth that that specific Player justifies that money or you will ever cover that money in his re sale value as, as good as he may be, he's not actually that good so because of that, i think it's only fair that your Managment Team who are temporary & your Owners who know nothing about that Game quite clearly after sanctioning that Buy & allowed a Temp Management Team to make it & because of that, i believe it's only fait that they should all be at least questioned, like i've done..

1) You have criticized the appointment of KD, Steve Clarke, Comolli and our owners based purely on your personal opinion and the fact now that you know 'Merseyside and its people'. - Get it right, i said you quite clearly don't, i didn't say i did but i'll tell you one thing, i know Scousers a Million times more than you do, quite obviously..I'm not the only one who will criticize those appointments too & quite rightly so as 1 ) Based on Clarke's previous Job & 2 ) Based on Comolli's previous Job.

2) You have said that a sabermetrics, statistical approach to soccer is worthless while admitting to having no knowledge of rigorous statistical analysis. That is not even an argument. - I have never said it's worthless at all, never.I have said over & over again that Football isn't Baseball, that's what i've said. I have subscribe to both Pro Zone within the last 2 Years & have just recently stopped subscribing to IM Scouting

3) You have implied that our owners 'assume everyone else is stupid' which is an inherently poor assumption to make (I believe it is a 'stupid one') - Where have i said that, honestly, stop lying.

4) You believe that soccernomics is boring/irrelevant despite the fact that you could simply take the 3 highest wage bills of all EPL, place them in order for 09/10 and have written down the top 3 teams in the league in the correct order. - Soccernomics ?? The Book that's written by the two Americans ?? I'd love ot read it, send it in teh Post to me & i'll read it & give a full review, i'd love to..

5) Given that the analysis that the management and owners use, influences their decision making it 'MUST' be relevant even if it is wrong. That is a statement of fact rather than opinion. - Absolutely, relevent yes, correct not necessarily.

6) You now claim that you understand Merseyside and its people and that they deem what is relevant or not to LFC. This is neither true as a supposition (that Merseysiders control the club) nor does it sit well in my opinion with your criticism of Dalglish's appointment. But you may well understand Merseyside better than me. - I absolutely DO understand Merseyside & it's people MUCH more than you ever will but you need to srop implying that i was the one who said i knew Merseyside people, i didnt say that, i aid that you quite clearly DO NOT & that is a matter of FACT & not opinion.

7) I in no way wish to imply that knowledge of soccer is not relevant or important in this business. I am sure you 'CAN' explain the advantages of different formations just as I can explain non-linnear equations. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would be in the slightest bit interested in a post on either subject. My point about soccer knowledge is very simple - I have faith in KD and team that they understand soccer - the right players to play given their resources and the right formation etc. I just dont happen to be interested in the subject nor know much about it so I dont choose to comment on something I know nothing about. I do assume that LFC knows at least as much as you on this issue which is hardly a heroic assumption. - If you are sure i or other Posters CAN explain the advantages of different Formations, why did you imply that i/we didn't ?? I found that insulting that just because you know very little about the subject, you assumed others didn't too, then i realised who i was talkign too again so wasn't surprised of your ignorance & your natural insticnt of thinking you're better than everyone else.

8) I do not think your criticism of our manager, management and owners is justified. Our owners know what they dont know and they also know far more about things that you even admit to not even understanding. - That's your opinion, your Owners know sweet FA about the Game of Football & i don't believe anyone can even debate that but that's not really a care of mine either as LFC are not alone where that's concerend sadly these days. .

Send the Book & i'd love to read it, seriously..

I'm sure you have it & i promise i'll send it back in the condition i received it in, it'll only be for a week..:)

Well this is boring the fuc_k out of me, don't know about anyone else. Arguments on online forums are rarely productive, logical even, and rarely even entertaining these days, at least for me. That's all I'll say about it.

Anyway, about Liverpool FC, think rumors of this French winger Marveaux are just rumors, to be honest. Also I even thought it would be a bosman if it actually happened, he may be a good talent but he's been injured for a long, long time with a groin injury I think it is. I would think any club wanting to sign him would be a bit hesitant to sign someone out for 6+ plus months with a leg muscle injury. But then again, i am not in the medical field so what do I know?

Hope we can get the desired result on Thursday. Will be interesting to see if Carroll will start or come on as a sub this time. He changed the game in Braga, but to be fair it was a poor, drab performance from both sides. It was so bad that we just started kicking up long balls time after time for Carroll to head down, seems like we just ran out of ideas. Horrible penalty to give away and Braga didn't deserve anything, either. Should have been 0-0. Anyway, I think we will come on strong at Anfield and take it to 'em, just have to be more clinical. I expect to go through but you never know. Just want a dam_n trophy again!

And am I right in thinking that since Birmingham won the Carling Cup they get one berth to the Europa League next season and if we finish 6th and Stoke or Bolton win the FA Cup we won't even get to the Europa League next season?

Well this is boring the fuc_k out of me, don't know about anyone else. Arguments on online forums are rarely productive, logical even, and rarely even entertaining these days, at least for me. That's all I'll say about it.

I apologise if my defending of myself after being regulary insulted & being told to shut up is boring the <deleted> out of you..

Next time i'll just sit back & let it happen, yeah...

I apologise if my defending of myself after being regulary insulted & being told to shut up is boring the <deleted> out of you..

I did'nt realise you were such a tender sensitive fella singher. :D

And am I right in thinking that since Birmingham won the Carling Cup they get one berth to the Europa League next season and if we finish 6th and Stoke or Bolton win the FA Cup we won't even get to the Europa League next season?

You are 100% correct in that assumption.

This kind of thing (where we rely on what happens to other teams to help us qualify) is getting too frequent these days for my liking

Now we are relying on a <deep breath> MANC team to help us qualify for The Europa League next year

Lets hope we can leave the Hicks/Gilett era far behind us as quickly as possible

Penkoprod

This kind of thing (where we rely on what happens to other teams to help us qualify) is getting too frequent these days for my liking

Now we are relying on a <deep breath> MANC team to help us qualify for The Europa League next year

Lets hope we can leave the Hicks/Gilett era far behind us as quickly as possible

Penkoprod

I'd be alright with cheering on Man City in the FA Cup final but Man U?

Oh please say it ain't so.

Well the other way we can qualify for Europe next season is just to finish 5th or I think if we win the Europa League that will qualify us, too.

We just need to kick on from here and win the Europa League, improve the squad in the summer and get back in the top 4 next season.

Penkoprod

Well the other way we can qualify for Europe next season is just to finish 5th or I think if we win the Europa League that will qualify us, too.

We just need to kick on from here and win the Europa League, improve the squad in the summer and get back in the top 4 next season.

Realistically mate neither will happen. Theres just not enough quality or depth in squad. This is something that has been allowed to happen over recent years and will take time to improve.

Gerard getting older, Carroll largely unproven. Will Reina stay? Suarez was a great buy though. Just tell Kenny to keep Comolli as far away as poss. ;)

Lastly please don't be nasty to singher. :o

Edited by carmine

I apologise if my defending of myself after being regulary insulted & being told to shut up is boring the &lt;deleted&gt; out of you..

I did'nt realise you were such a tender sensitive fella singher. :D

We're all sitting behind Computer Screens, we have no other option..:)

Penkoprod

It doesn't even need Stoke or Bolton to win the FA cup, just for one of them to get into the final, which is guaranteed.

The only way 6th place can qualify for Europa is for Bolton to get into the Final and to finish 5th in the league.

The other possibility is the way you 'qualified' last season, and that's for Birmingham to not be allowed to compete in Europe because of their finances (last year it was Portsmouth), then 6th place will get in.

OR, and this is the most unlikely scenario, you win the Fair Play League!!

Edit: if Man City finish 5th and win the FA cup then 6th place will also qualify, but not if City finish 4th and win the cup.

Edited by PattayaParent

Penkoprod

Realistically mate neither will happen. Theres just not enough quality or depth in squad. This is something that has been allowed to happen over recent years and will take time to improve.

Gerard getting older, Carroll largely unproven. Will Reina stay? Suarez was a great buy though. Just tell Kenny to keep Comolli as far away as poss. ;)

Lastly please don't be nasty to singher. :o

You're not wrong, there either, talking of depth in the squad

I think Kenny has only used all 3 subs twice since taking over...no matter if we were winning, losing, or drawing (or just plain playing crap!!!)

He probably thought "who can i put on to freshen things up, and change the game?" looked at his availible bench and though "nah, i'll be best to leave it"

Penkoprod

Penkoprod

It doesn't even need Stoke or Bolton to win the FA cup, just for one of them to get into the final, which is guaranteed.

The only way 6th place can qualify for Europa is for Bolton to get into the Final and to finish 5th in the league.

The other possibility is the way you 'qualified' last season, and that's for Birmingham to not be allowed to compete in Europe because of their finances (last year it was Portsmouth), then 6th place will get in.

OR, and this is the most unlikely scenario, you win the Fair Play League!!

Edit: if Man City finish 5th and win the FA cup then 6th place will also qualify, but not if City finish 4th and win the cup.

No...Eufa changed the qualifying criteria recently (either for 2010/2011 season, or the year before) to ONLY allow the winner, and not just the finalist of both domestic cups to partake in the Europa League, along with the team that finished in the highest place, other than the 4 places above them. IE..5th place. The "trickledown" to sixth place would only occur if one of the teams in the top 4 were to win a domestic cup as well.

So, like i say, we are relying on someone else to get us into Europe again next year

Should either Bolton or Stoke win the FA Cup then we are, in a word.. &lt;deleted&gt; for next year !!!!!

So we could be looking for a new goalkeeper. Not a thrilling proposition, given that both the Gooners and Manu are looking as well

I cant see us winning this "fair play league" either, so its going to HAVE to be "come on you Mancs" as bitter a pill as that is to swallow

And we qualified from 7TH place last year...the year of the Portsmouth debacle, where they didnt get their application for a EUFA licence in in time.

The only other way for a team in 6th place to qualify, is to win the Europa League, of course. Can we overturn a 1-0 deficit?:ermm:

Both the reasons for Pompey not competing, and the qualification criteria is explained in this website from the BBC last year:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8558580.stm

Penkoprod