Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Kopite, what do you reckon of the Yank owners,? Do you think they will give Rafa much more time? I was a little taken aback that they had a " meeting" after the game last night, and the wording of it sounds like they aren't giving him full backing.

The meeting between them had been organised weeks ago.

It doesn't sound too good when a meeting is described as ' amicable ' :o .

Rumour has it that the owners are thinking of giving him no money to spend in January , but I reckon Rafa will be o-k thanks to our progression in the champions league .

Yeah, the wording "Amicable" is hardly a ringing endorsement though. I also saw that, rumour about no money. If tyhat happens maybe they are just trying to force Rafa out.

i wouldnt bother reading anything that gets released by the club, and come to any conclusions.

all the official statements get released thru parry (i think that says it all)

i dont think he would walk away. he's in it for the long run. the fact that his missus told him that he could go and she would stay, when he was offered the real madrid job, speaks volumes.

they both love life in liverpool. kids have scouse accents :D

Yeah Kopite , I liked the quote from Rafa saying his daughters are now " 2 little scousers ".

scouse is not a happy mouse :D

liverpool still not good enough ,same old story :o

maybe so, but surprised to see the granny murderers come to anfield and and sit back after scoring. they didnt impress. we couldnt break them down and lacked in the last third of the pitch.

the meeting in the next few hours is more important

hey mate cut out the granny murderers jibe,show's your class there hey!!

we showed why we are champions not a great display but we know how to beat you.

and the other meeting more important than your own teams game, ha ha ha.

anderson at only 19 looked the best midfield player on the pitch,him and hargeaves held our midfield together.

at fortress anfield our last 6 visits 5 wins 1 draw,and you have not scored in the last 4 games against us there. in rafa we trust.

scouse is not a happy mouse :D

liverpool still not good enough ,same old story :o

maybe so, but surprised to see the granny murderers come to anfield and and sit back after scoring. they didnt impress. we couldnt break them down and lacked in the last third of the pitch.

the meeting in the next few hours is more important

hey mate cut out the granny murderers jibe,show's your class there hey!!

we showed why we are champions not a great display but we know how to beat you.

and the other meeting more important than your own teams game, ha ha ha.

anderson at only 19 looked the best midfield player on the pitch,him and hargeaves held our midfield together.

at fortress anfield our last 6 visits 5 wins 1 draw,and you have not scored in the last 4 games against us there. in rafa we trust.

A draw would have been the right result. Both teams top forward players didn't perform. Liverpool lacked a cutting edge, and ran out of ideas. Utd were no better. I had a feeling that a goal would come from a fluke, not a pice of skill. Rooney went for the shot, and Tevez was in the right place....bad defending from Liverpool.

All in all, I'd say that there's not too much between the teams.

Remember, it took Taggart a few years to start winning titles.

I still think we are going in the right direction, and that Rafa is the right man for the job.

The mancs are over and done with for now :bah: .

Saturday, 22 March 2008 Man Utd v Liverpool 12:00 ............ see you then :D .

As for our next few games in the premiership we have Portsmouth at home , Derby away , Man City away , Wigan at home and Boro away. If we can win all those games :D ( which we should ) then we might be right back in it :D .

But before the Pompey game we play Chelski in the Carling cup quarter final :D . I really don't give a toss about this cup but would like us to beat Chelski and I heard the the blue sh#te are into the semi finals already after beating the hammers and I would love it if we beat them aswell :bah: .

What do you reckon Kopite :o ???.

I'm not happy about this as I'm sure are most Liverpool fans :o:D :

£150m shock that forced stadium u-turn

026FDA1F-C667-062F-5C13F55E971C9971.jpg
LIVERPOOL ditched their latest plans for a new stadium because they could not afford to pay for it AND fund team building at the same time.

Today the ECHO can reveal:

* The second stadium plan - unveiled only in July - was ditched by owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett because they underestimated the £450m cost, £150m more than they first thought.

* Pressing ahead with the latest plans would have left no cash for new players.

* Revised designs by two architects are now being considered.

* The club may now have to submit a new planning application.

Today chief executive Rick Parry said: "We remain confident we can achieve our aim and still produce a very impressive solution."

The ECHO understands the club will make a decision on the new stadium early in the New Year.

A bit of good news for a change :o :

XABI FIT FOR CHELSEA RETURN

070307_alonso_120_3.jpgXabi Alonso has given boss Rafael Benitez a timely boost ahead of Wednesday night's Carling Cup quarter-final tie at Chelsea with the news he is fit and ready for action. The Spanish midfielder has been out since suffering a metatarsal injury in the 1-1 draw with Arsenal back in October, but after missing the last 10 matches, boss Rafa Benitez revealed he is now back in time for what promises to be a busy festive schedule.

"Xabi is training normally and should be available for the game at Chelsea," said Benitez.

"We are going into a busy period with lots of games so it is important to have out best players available.

"So Xabi's return is a big boost."

The return of Alonso adds further strength to Liverpool's midfield options ahead of the clash at Stamford Bridge, but they will have to continue to cope without defender Daniel Agger, who is still not ready for a return to action.

The Reds will check today on the fitness of Steve Finnanto see if the defender is ready to return.

Scouse, I think the "Septics" are starting to have second thoughts about what they want to do. Do they really love the club, or are they just in it for the money?

I'm no fan of the ones we have at our club, but they have made money available for players when required, which is ok. They also had the advantage of having a much larger stadium and revenue than Liverpool at present, but I suspect if they had been in a similar position we would have had the same nonsense.

Chelsea v Liverpool

_44306404_che_liv_0506.gif

Stamford Bridge

Wednesday, 19 December

Kick-off:1945 GMT

BBC coverage: BBC Sport website, commentary on BBC Radio Five Live and website (UK users only).

Michael Ballack returns to the Chelsea side for the first time since April for the Carling Cup quarter-final against Liverpool after two ankle operations.

Ricardo Carvalho is also fit to play, but key duo John Terry (foot) and Didier Drogba (knee) will miss out.

Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard is out with a stomach bug, but Xabi Alonso could return after a 10-match absence because of a metatarsal injury.

Steve Finnan is doubtful with a calf problem, while Daniel Agger is out.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Belletti, Ferreira, A Cole, Carvalho, Alex, Ben-Haim, J Cole, Essien, Obi, Lampard, Kalou, Ballack, Shevchenko, Pizarro, Wright-Phillips, Sidwell, Bridge. Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Kewell, Mascherano, Benayoun, Alonso, Kuyt, Torres, Aurelio, Babel, Crouch, Finnan, Hobbs, Itandje, Leiva, Voronin, Sissoko.

So Xabi Alonso looks set to start tonights match then :o .

Steven Gerrard and probably Torres get a rest :D .

And Rafa has been nominated for the UEFA coach of the year award :D :

Benitez to shuffle Reds pack

RAFA BENITEZ is ready to shuffle his pack tonight as he bids to guide Liverpool through to the semi-finals of the Carling Cup.

The Liverpool manager is preparing for the trip to Chelsea without the services of captain Steven Gerrard who has been ruled out with a stomach bug and is likely to rest a number of players who he says are tired in the build-up to the busy Christmas period.

That is likely to mean a first start for Xabi Alonso since he limped off against Arsenal on October 28.

Benitez is also considering leaving Alonso's fellow Spaniard Fernando Torres on the bench as he looks to protect his record signing ahead of a hectic spell which will see Liverpool play four Premiership games in just 12 days.

And Jack Hobbs comes back into contention for a starting place as the manager looks at the possibility of giving Sami Hyypia a well-earned rest.

But Benitez is adamant that no matter which players he selects to take on Chelsea tonight, Liverpool will be ready for the challenge.

Benitez said: "We want to win every game but we have Portsmouth on Saturday, so it is important that we use the squad.

"We have players who are tired so we have to analyse which players are tired and which players are ready before deciding on who will play against Chelsea.

"Christmas is a very busy period so we have to use the squad and that means I have to find a balance for each game.

"If I ask the players they tell me they want to win every game but if you have enough players in the squad with quality you should use them."

Benitez was handed a boost ahead of tonight's game when he was shortlisted for the prestigious UEFA Coach of the Year Award.

The Reds boss has been recognised for his achievements on the European stage after he led Liverpool to their second Champions League final in three seasons back in May.

He faces stiff competition from new Spurs manager Juande Ramos, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, England's Fabio Capello and AC Milan's Carlo Ancelotti.

another upsetting game. was hoping for much more from Babel and Lucas with them getting a full 90. rash tackle from Crouch, the frustration is setting in among the boys. not sure i'm looking forward to Portsmouth...

Welcome to the football forum anothertorres, don't need to guess who you support but introduce yourself here so we can get into the banter http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...154842&st=0

As for last night. Did Rafa not really want to go through to the next round. Didn't eaxactly put out his strongest squad :o

Edited by mrbojangles

It's the Carling Cup. He and many never put out their strongest squad. Chelsea didn't either but at least a bit stronger than Liverpool with Lampard and Schevchenko in the mix. I'm depressed about the last 4 games losing 3. Need a win against Portsmouth to lift my spirits.

Sometimes I wonder why I care so much about this team even though I'm not English and only ever spent 5 days of my life in Liverpool and if I remember correctly the guy I stayed with is an Everton fan. I feel I'm not a true fan as I'm not Scouse but I feel I'm a true international fan.

Now, let's beat those Pompey sailors. En garde!!

It's the Carling Cup. He and many never put out their strongest squad. Chelsea didn't either but at least a bit stronger than Liverpool with Lampard and Schevchenko in the mix. I'm depressed about the last 4 games losing 3. Need a win against Portsmouth to lift my spirits.

Now, let's beat those Pompey sailors. En garde!!

CHELSEA 2-0 REDS: THE VERDICT

Peter Crouch was sent-off as Liverpool crashed out of the Carling Cup to holders Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Here's the pick of the post-match reaction.

The local paper

Crouch undoubtedly went for Mikel, but he barely brushed his standing leg. But Mikel saw an opportunity to get a fellow professional sent off and plunged to the ground clutching his badly fractured sock. As soon as Crouch left the pitch, Liverpool's hopes of getting back into the game went with him and it was no surprise when Andriy Shevchenko struck a second in the dying minutes.

The Echo

The fan

I have to say Lucas impressed me immensely. He looked a class apart and showed a level of maturity way beyond his years. He got stuck in against one of the most physical teams in the Premier League and Showed great leadership and kept possession of the ball brilliantly.

Redstanbul 05

The commentator

I thought Liverpool played well in the first half. Rafa had a plan and it worked to an extent. Lucas again showed his quality, and had he scored when he had that great chance then the outcome could have been a lot different. You can't really argue about the sending-off of Peter Crouch, although it could have been avoided had the referee given us a foul before he made the challenge. While it was a disappointing night the return of Xabi Alonso could reignite our season.

LFC.TV's Steve Hunter

The player

There are no excuses for the tackle I made but if the referee had pulled the foul up when he should have done it wouldn't have happened. A lot was going their way and I think frustration got the better of me. You give and take with referees and sometimes the decisions go for you and sometimes they don't so you can't always blame them.

Peter Crouch

The boss

If you watch the replay where Mikel was trying to kick Crouch, then you blow your whistle and avoid the sending off - the red card. Sometimes the referee must be a little bit quicker. Mikel kicked him twice and that was the reason Crouch lost his head. I have seen more dangerous tackles in the last month and sometimes it is a yellow card and sometimes it is nothing. Unbelievable. I am disappointed because we have lost. The team has played really well, I am really pleased with their performance.

Rafa Benitez

match report from LFCTV :

LIVERPOOL 4-1 PORTSMOUTH: THE REPORT

Liverpool have made the perfect start to their festive programme with a well deserved 4-1 victory over Portsmouth at Anfield.

The game was all but over as a contest inside the first quarter of an hour as the Reds raced into a two goal lead thanks to a Yossi Benayoun volley and an own goal from Sylvain Distin, and although Pompey reduced the deficit shortly after the break top scorer Fernando Torres struck a brilliant double to end hopes of an unlikely comeback to seal the points with his thirteenth and fourteenth goals of the campaign.

The victory means Liverpool avoid falling further behind leaders Arsenal who triumphed in the north London derby earlier in the day while ensuring they returned to winning ways after two straight defeats in the league.

With Portsmouth arriving on Merseyside on the back of six consecutive away victories this had all the makings of a banana skin of a fixture for the home side, especially after high profile losses to Manchester United and Chelsea over the past week.

But any fears about another difficult 90 minutes for the Reds were dismissed after just sixteen minutes when the points were secured thanks to a brace of goals.

Yossi Benayoun grabbed the early breakthrough with a crisp volleyed finish from Harry Kewell's well flighted cross; his right footed effort flying past David James and into the back of the Anfield Road net.

It got even better for the Reds three minutes later when Sylvain Distin joined in the festive spirit and gift-wrapped a present in the shape of an own goal when central defensive colleague Sol Campbell blasted the ball against his legs when under pressure from Fernando Torres.

Pompey offered surprisingly little during a one sided but low key first half as Liverpool comfortably held on to their two goal advantage before the break.

Harry Redknapp introduced Kanu at the start of the second half and the move paid dividends within ten minutes as he created the goal which gave the visitors a lifeline in the match.

Kanu's floated ball to the far post found Benjani whose control took the ball away from Sami Hyypia and his left footed drive gave Pepe Reina no chance as it flew past the Reds' goalkeeper at his near post.

With Portsmouth threatening an unlikely recovery Benitez sent Ryan Babel on in place of Benayoun and his arrival brought an immediate reward as Liverpool regained their two goal lead within a minute.

Javier Mascherano's defence splitting pass caused confusion in the Pompey defence with Babel challenging David James, and when the ball broke free to Torres he made no mistake with a composed finish into the corner of the Kop net.

The Spanish star increased his personal tally and put the gloss on Liverpool's performance with the best goal of the game four minutes from time.

Jamie Carragher's cross to the far post was headed back into the danger zone by Steven Gerrard to Torres who made no mistake with a brilliant left footed volley which nestled in the right hand corner of the goal.

Teams

Liverpool: Reina, Riise, Hyypia, Carragher, Arbeloa, Kewell, Gerrard (captain), Mascherano, Benayoun, Torres, Kuyt. Subs - Itandje, Voronin, Aurelio, Babel, Leiva

Portsmouth: James, Hreidarsson, Campbell (captain), Distin, Johnson, Kranjcar, Mendes, Diop, Muntari, Mwaruwari, Utaka. Subs - Taylor, Begovic, Kanu, Nugent, Lauren

Referee: Mike Riley

Conditions: Cold

Attendance: Unknown

Liverpoolfc.tv Man-of-the-Match: Javier Mascherano

get in red men. had them at 4-1 with for missus. relax on the bed tomorrow morning :D

happy days :D

I would say our best win in the premiership so far this season :D .

Nice one. Tough team to break down Pompey but you did it quite admirably. Was Campbell trying to ear wig what the crowd where saying rather than defending :o

get in red men. had them at 4-1 with for missus. relax on the bed tomorrow morning :bah:

happy days :D

I would say our best win in the premiership so far this season :D .

Nice one. Tough team to break down Pompey but you did it quite admirably. Was Campbell trying to ear wig what the crowd where saying rather than defending :o

:D:D .

I thought the crowd were pretty tame towards Campbell to be fair ( it should have been a lot worse :bah: ) , but thats only because the game was over after 19 minutes ........ and it's Christmas :o .

This is not news we want to be hearing :o:D :

<H2 align=center>Yanks facing takeover bid</H2>

LIVERPOOL face the shocking possibility of a second takeover within a year.

Anfield insiders believe American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett will be forced to put the club up for sale again to avoid financial meltdown just 10 months after completing their Mersey swoop.

And that has alerted Dubai International Capital, who were also interested in the club last February.

There are major doubts that Hicks and Gillett have the funds to pay for a £300million stadium on Stanley Park or even give manager Rafa Benitez a big transfer war chest. DIC were stunned when they were outflanked by Hicks and Gillett earlier this year but a fresh New Year bid is now a realistic prospect.

Hicks has denied considering diluting his 50 per cent shareholding but it's clear the financial demands upon the owners are beyond their expectations.

The Americans will want at least three times the £219m they paid less than a year ago. But as they have to repay a £298m loan by February, and have no deal in place to pay this debt or for a stadium, circumstances may soon give them little option but to welcome bids.

Anfield insiders believe American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett will be forced to put the club up for sale again to avoid financial meltdown just 10 months after completing their Mersey swoop.

And that has alerted Dubai International Capital, who were also interested in the club last February.

There are major doubts that Hicks and Gillett have the funds to pay for a £300million stadium on Stanley Park or even give manager Rafa Benitez a big transfer war chest. DIC were stunned when they were outflanked by Hicks and Gillett earlier this year but a fresh New Year bid is now a realistic prospect.

Hicks has denied considering diluting his 50 per cent shareholding but it's clear the financial demands upon the owners are beyond their expectations.

The Americans will want at least three times the £219m they paid less than a year ago. But as they have to repay a £298m loan by February, and have no deal in place to pay this debt or for a stadium, circumstances may soon give them little option but to welcome bids.

Where was this report from SM?

Had a bad feeling about the septics for a while now. Even badder feeling about DIC taking over.

Had a bad feeling about the septics for a while now. Even badder feeling about DIC taking over.

bascombe article in the news of the world

The report was from Chris Bascombe :D and although he is a #### he usually has his finger on the pulse when it comes to matters at Anfield.