Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Fernando Torres: Hard men won’t get to me

3DE40987-D07E-409C-FCF022480B551072.jpg

FERNANDO TORRES says he won’t be kicked out of English football.

Liverpool’s record signing has only just returned from a three week injury lay-off, and already this season has been subjected to physical batterings at Reading and against Chelsea.

Each time he bounced back to score – and Torres insists he relishes the increased physical challenges of the Premier League.

“When a new player comes to the league with a certain reputation or profile, opposition teams and players look to make their mark against that player,” he explained.

“Chelsea are one of our main rivals and in Spain we knew all about the fantastic games that we have played against them in the last few years.

“So yes I felt a little like they were testing me and pushing me to see how I would react to things.

“It was the same when I was just a young player coming through at Atletico. I received the same kind of attention then, too.

“You have to handle yourself in the correct manner. I just got on with things and showed I cannot be intimidated.

“If I had reacted in a different way when they were trying to upset me then every defender in the league would have seen it and they would have all been trying it. It would also have meant letting down my team-mates and I wouldn’t want to do that.

“I just answered their questions the way I always will – I got on with playing for my team and I scored a goal.

“That is the best answer in those kind of situations. I take no notice of those kind of tactics.”

After eight goals in just 10 starts in English football says he has had no worries adjusting from La Liga.

“It is a football that I think you can really enjoy,” Torres told LFC magazine. “I know that I certainly have since I arrived in England. It is what I would call an honest type of football.

“The game in Spain is very stop and go. Someone is fouled, the player goes down and the game stops for the free-kick.

“In this country a player will battle hard to stay on his feet and the referees will allow little things to go so that the game can be more continuous.

“I like that. It is very different to the football life I used to know in Spain but I like it a lot.

“It suits the way I like to play the game.

“It does not concern me. Reading was a physical game and I scored three goals. Any time you score a hat-trick it is a great moment for any striker and that was no different.”

Carra is still happy about his decision to quit international football and good for him :D .

If it keeps him playing for Liverpool for a few more seasons then it's worth it I reckon :o :

Jamie Carragher: No England regrets

JAMIE CARRAGHER can feel himself reaping the benefits of retiring from international football - and has no regrets about his decision to drop out of England duty.

With first-choice centrebacks John Terry and Rio Ferdinand both absent from tomorrow's friendly in Austria, the chances are that Carragher would have figured in Steve McClaren's side had he been available.

But a series of snubs from the England manager that denied him adding to his collection of 34 caps when the squad was decimated by injury and suspension in the past convinced Carragher the time was right to call it a day in the summer.

Now Carragher, who will be 30 in January, is adamant he made the correct choice as he recharges his batteries with the skeleton staff at Melwood.

And he is confident Liverpool will feel the benefit when they return to Premier League action at Newcastle a week on Saturday.

"No, I've got no regrets," said Carragher. "I'm enjoying it very much. Obviously there's just four or five of us training and that's pretty enjoyable.

"I also get a lot more time at home with the kids and Nicola, so that's great.

"Hopefully I'll be fresher than most of the lads by the time Newcastle comes around. The whole idea was to help my Liverpool form. Hopefully it's doing that."

It will be sad to see Scott Carson leave but if we can get a top centre back with the money from the transfer then that will cushion the blow :o ........ , plus news regarding Agger , Alonso and Benayoun on their road to recovery :

Scott Carson exit set to fund new signings

535D92A9-C3C9-21AF-594401A8420191F3.jpg

RAFAEL BENITEZ is set to boost his January transfer window funds by cashing in on Scott Carson.

The Liverpool manager is ready to allow Aston Villa to make the goalkeeper’s loan move permanent after the player expressed his desire to complete the transfer last week.

Benitez has revealed he is satisfied with Charles Itandje and David Martin currently providing the cover for first-choice Pepe Reina and as his priority in the transfer window is a centre-back – with Racing Santander’s Argentinian defender Ezequiel Garay a probable target – he is looking to capitalise on the form Carson has shown this season.

Liverpool will ask Villa to come up with a fee in the region of £8million for the 22-year-old, who will make his first England start in the friendly in Austria tonight.

While he has flourished at Villa Park, keeping clean sheets in half of the 10 Premier League games he has played, injury to Reina is the only realistic chance for Carson to break into the Liverpool side on a regular basis.

Benitez said: “You can understand that he wants to play. He knows Pepe Reina is top class and that it will be difficult for him to play here.

“Scott is a good professional and a nice boy. This is a crucial time in his career and he needs to play.

“At the moment we are concentrating on our own team and our own competitions, but Villa can decide if they want to keep the player.

“At the moment we have Pepe, Charles Itandje and David Martin as goalkeepers so we can manage the situation okay.”

As well as a switch to Villa, Carson has also set his sights on becoming number one on the international scene after getting his chance to stake a claim for Paul Robinson’s spot in Vienna tonight.

Carson said: “To be the England number one, that is the target. There is no point in me sitting around settling for what I’ve got.

“I’ve got to try and keep climbing the ladder, work hard and hopefully I’ll get my chance for England and show that I am up to standard.

“I don’t think there is a big gap between all the keepers from Robert Green, Chris Kirkland, David James and Robbo. I don’t think there is a massive gap.

“You’ve just got to keep working hard and hopefully get to that next level which is being the England number one. It’s what you strive for.”

Meanwhile, Benitez expects to have Daniel Agger back for next Saturday’s lunchtime trip to Newcastle United.

The Dane has been out of action for two months with a broken metatarsal since the goalless draw at Portsmouth and Benitez said: “Agger is improving a lot, and he has started running now.”

Liverpool haven’t conceded a goal in open play during the six games Agger has featured in so far this season.

Benitez is also hopeful of having Yossi Benayoun fit to face Newcastle but has ruled Xabi Alonso out of a recovery for the game.

Scallies / non football fans / scum :o , or whatever you call them are at it again

And as I'm about to become a house owner for the first time I would appreciate no smart arse remarks if that's possible please lads :D :

Fifth Liverpool player is burgled

Dirk Kuyt has become the fifth Liverpool footballer to be burgled in less than 18 months.

The 27-year-old striker's luxury home in Woolton was targeted on Thursday while he was away on international duty with home country Holland.

Merseyside Police confirmed they were investigating a burglary in Woolton.

The Merseyside home of Jerzy Dudek, Liverpool's goalkeeper from the 2005 Champions League final penalty shoot-out, was burgled in June 2006.

The raid at Kuyt's house is the latest to see a footballers' home targeted in the city while they are away playing a match.

Burnt-out Porsche

Dudek, who now plays for Real Madrid, was on holiday in Poland when thieves took his Porsche car, jewellery and a large haul of football memorabilia from across his career, including his European Cup medal.

Pepe Reina was burgled while he played for Liverpool in last May's Champions League semi-final against Chelsea.

He also had his Porsche taken during the raid, among other things, with the car later found burnt-out in West Derby.

Reds defender Daniel Agger had his Wirral home burgled in September last year and striker Peter Crouch's house in Alderley Edge was targeted in the same month while he was on England duty.

The last word about England on this thread :o , thoughts courtesy of Steven Gerrard :D :

Gung-ho approach cost England - Steven Gerrard

STEVEN GERRARD blamed England's gungho approach and failure to "shut up shop" for their Euro 2008 exit.

The stand-in England captain believes Steve McClaren's side paid the penalty for taking too many risks after goals from Frank Lampardand Peter Crouch had wiped out a 2-0 deficit.

A goal 13 minutes from time by Croatian substitute Mladen Petric doomed England to defeat and left Gerrard to reflect on the most disappointing day of his international career as Russia sealed second in the group via victory in Andorra.

Gerrard said: "The effort was there but the result wasn't. That's what was important. We're obviously hugely disappointed.

"The first goal was a big blow. Our idea was to start really quick and get a goal up and let them know they were in for a game - but we found ourselves 2-0 down and with a mountain to climb.

empty.gif http://' target="_blank">

"The second half was a big improvement but when we got back into it we should have shut up shop. Instead we went for that third goal and they hit us on the break.

"You've got to learn from that. When you get back into it you've got to see it out and take a draw. But we took risks and got done on the counter-attack.

"We had a mountain to climb and climbed it. We got back into the game and their third goal was disappointing."

Gerrard admitted little was said by under-fire McClaren in a stunned dressing room as England failed to reach the major finals of a tournament for the first time since the 1994 World Cup.

He said: "The manager was disappointed and not much was said. He thanked us for our efforts over the last couple of years. It was a disappointed dressing room. It's the most disappointing day of my England career."

The last word about England on this thread :D , thoughts courtesy of Steven Gerrard :D :

STEVEN GERRARD blamed England's gungho approach and failure to "shut up shop" for their Euro 2008 exit.

The stand-in England captain believes Steve McClaren's side paid the penalty for taking too many risks after goals from Frank Lampardand Peter Crouch had wiped out a 2-0 deficit.

A goal 13 minutes from time by Croatian substitute Mladen Petric doomed England to defeat and left Gerrard to reflect on the most disappointing day of his international career as Russia sealed second in the group via victory in Andorra.

Gerrard said: "The effort was there but the result wasn't. That's what was important. We're obviously hugely disappointed.

"The first goal was a big blow. Our idea was to start really quick and get a goal up and let them know they were in for a game - but we found ourselves 2-0 down and with a mountain to climb.

empty.gif <a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

"The second half was a big improvement but when we got back into it we should have shut up shop. Instead we went for that third goal and they hit us on the break.

"You've got to learn from that. When you get back into it you've got to see it out and take a draw. But we took risks and got done on the counter-attack.

"We had a mountain to climb and climbed it. We got back into the game and their third goal was disappointing."

Gerrard admitted little was said by under-fire McClaren in a stunned dressing room as England failed to reach the major finals of a tournament for the first time since the 1994 World Cup.

He said: "The manager was disappointed and not much was said. He thanked us for our efforts over the last couple of years. It was a disappointed dressing room. It's the most disappointing day of my England career."

For once Scouse, I'm going to upset you about Gerrard, He was &lt;deleted&gt; last night, and has been &lt;deleted&gt; for England over the last 18 months. I'd rather he did his taking on the pitch, rather than in the papers.

Englands gung ho approach, well I can't see I noticed that. More like taking foot off the peddle when we got it to 2-2 and ponced around with it. Very reminiscent of a few games in recent years under Sven and McClown. In the end it was a crap perfornmance, and Gerrard is as guilty as the rest of them for getting us in this position.

Okay, I'll go back to my usual threads. :o

The last word about England on this thread :D , thoughts courtesy of Steven Gerrard :bah: :

empty.gif <a href=" target="_blank"></a>

For once Scouse, I'm going to upset you about Gerrard, He was &lt;deleted&gt; last night, and has been &lt;deleted&gt; for England over the last 18 months. I'd rather he did his taking on the pitch, rather than in the papers.

Englands gung ho approach, well I can't see I noticed that. More like taking foot off the peddle when we got it to 2-2 and ponced around with it. Very reminiscent of a few games in recent years under Sven and McClown. In the end it was a crap perfornmance, and Gerrard is as guilty as the rest of them for getting us in this position.

Okay, I'll go back to my usual threads. :D

It is a very rare occasion if I have something bad to say about Steven Gerrard , but I have to agree with you mrtoad as he did play like sh#te last night :o along with all the others with the exception of Peter Crouch :D .

I've been thinking about the motivational aspect of pulling on an England shirt if your the likes of Gerrard , Lampard , Rooney, Joe and Ashely Cole , Ferdinand , Terry and the rest of them. While they are playing for their respective clubs they are adored every week by their fans and are used to winning major trophies and playing at the top level against the best players in the world :bah: .

Now compare that to when they play for England , playing needless friendlies , the fans booing you , the media slating you , playing with players from your rivals , the threat of getting injured and the rest of it :D .

It's no wonder sometimes that you see players putting in uncharacteristic performances for England. All the players always say the right thing in front of the cameras though but then again they haven't really got much choice have they .

To finish , none of the current England squad were even born the last ( and only ) time we won something so you can understand to some extent why their performances differ sometimes for club and country

This doesn't sound too clever :o :

Uneasy Benitez drops England hint

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he may be interested in the England job after an apparent disagreement with the club's owners over transfer targets.

Benitez described his week as "not the best" after arriving late for a news conference following a conversation with George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

"Maybe I could be Steve McClaren's replacement if I improve my English," said the 47-year-old Spaniard.

"I was being serious. You never know what can happen in the future."

During his news conference, Benitez used the answer "I am focused on training and coaching my team" a number of times in response to a series of questions on various issues.

Despite a huge transfer outlay in the summer on players like Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League and in danger of failing to get beyond the group stage of the Champions League.

Benitez is thought to have already started making plans for the January transfer window, but the club's American owners have issued a statement suggesting that they are not thinking that far ahead at the moment.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already had at the club," said the statement. "We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he may be interested in the England job after an apparent disagreement with the club's owners over transfer targets.

Benitez described his week as "not the best" after arriving late for a news conference following a conversation with George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

"Maybe I could be Steve McClaren's replacement if I improve my English," said the 47-year-old Spaniard.

During his news conference, Benitez used the answer "I am focused on training and coaching my team" a number of times in response to a series of questions on various issues.

Despite a huge transfer outlay in the summer on players like Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel, Liverpool are fifth in the Premier League and in danger of failing to get beyond the group stage of the Champions League.

Benitez is thought to have already started making plans for the January transfer window, but the club's American owners have issued a statement suggesting that they are not thinking that far ahead at the moment.

"There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already had at the club," said the statement. "We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then."

Get Jose to Anfield.

Get Jose to Anfield.

easy tiger :D

I hope this all blows over soon :o :

A phrase that lifted the lid on Anfield’s inner turmoil

Liverpool writer Tony Barrett analyses the civil war threatening to break out at Anfield and the reasons behind the sudden outburst.

“AS always I am focused on training and coaching my team.” – on the surface a throwaway phrase from Rafa Benitez indicating he is interested in nothing but getting the best out of his team.

But as the Liverpool manager uttered these words again and again in response to routine questioning at a Melwood press conference yesterday afternoon Anfield officials shuddered – this was the clearest sign yet that Benitez was losing patience with the club’s American owners.

The fact that the very same words were used by Tom Hicks and George Gillett in a recent communication delivered to the Spaniard when Benitez had sought rapid movement on potential deals for the January transfer window marked this out as a thinly veiled attack on his employers.

But, as a hastily released statement on the club’s official website reiterated, Hicks and Gillett are in no mood to discuss comings and goings at Anfield for the time being at least.

That statement – issued from America just two hours after Benitez’s press conference – read: “We made a significant investment in the playing squad during the summer and desperately want this team to succeed.

“There are some very important games coming up in the next couple of weeks and all of us need to focus on winning those games and getting the best out of the players we already have at the club.

“We will leave any talk of buying or selling players until we come across to Liverpool in December and sit down with the manager then.”

As far as they are concerned, such conversations will take place when they come to Anfield for the visit of Manchester United on December 16.

In the wake of the rift between Benitez and the club’s hierarchy being exposed in all its gory detail, that meeting assumes even greater significance. An almost total breakdown in communications, a growing sense of mutual suspicion and even a sprinkling of resentment means that when Benitez finally sits down with Hicks and Gillett their entire working relationship will be in question.

In many respects, the current impasse is simply a clash of two very different cultures.

Madrid-born Benitez, ever impatient for success, wants to see the club making progress on all fronts today, not wait until tomorrow to see what the future brings, by which time potential transfer targets may have moved elsewhere.

As a pure football man, the vagaries of high finance and restructuring deals mean little to him. All he wants to know is that he can bring in the players he feels Liverpool need if they are to mount a genuine Premiership challenge this season.

But Hicks and Gillett, businessmen to their very core, want to see a return on their initial investment before they even think of sanctioning further spending.

And that means satisfying themselves that the money spent on players like Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Andriy Voronin and Yossi Benayoun in pre-season will pay dividends.

That is why a deal to sign Javier Mascherano is yet to be signed and sealed and why moves for other targets – even much needed central defensive reinforcements – are being put on the backburner, and Benitez has been so brusquely told to concentrate on coaching the players he already has at his disposal.

Last May, the Americans were left shocked and disappointed by Benitez’s outburst the morning after the Champions League Final in Athens when he again used a press conference to state his case.

Then, he talked of the need for an Anfield revolution and for the club’s new owners to invest heavily if Liverpool were to compete at the top level.

Yesterday, he asked not for a revolution and not for millions upon millions of pounds to spend. He asked to be given the freedom to operate in the transfer market without restrictions, to be allowed to sell players no longer deemed of any great valueto fund the acquisition of players whom he feels can make a real difference.

Benitez has been here before, of course. In his final season at Valencia he clashed with sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch over the La Liga side’s transfer policy time and time again.

At one stage he became so frustrated, he famously accused his boss of bringing him a lampshade when he’d asked for a table.

This time around Benitez has been told not only is the furniture store not yet open, he can’t even get rid of the table and chairs he no longer likes until Hicks and Gillett give the go-ahead to do so.

In his eyes, this is an infringement on his jurisdiction as team manager. In the view of the Americans, it is a normal business practice as they take stock of how their investment is performing.

The rights and wrongs of the two positions can be debated endlessly.

On the one hand, the transfer market will not wait for Liverpool and by mid-December it is wholly possible that the players Benitez has earmarked will have tired of waiting for the Reds to make their move and gone elsewhere.

It is also almost unheard of for a top European club not to decide upon its transfer strategy until two weeks before the window opens and that clearly carries its own risks.

But, on the other hand, the delay could result in Liverpool’s own financial situation becoming much clearer by the time the meeting between Benitez and the Americans takes place.

Talks aimed at securing a major financial restructuring deal with two American banks are at an advanced stage and are expected to come to fruition before mid-December.

Also, the fact that the meeting is pencilled in to take place the weekend after Liverpool will have either reached the knockout stages of the Champions League or been knocked out of the lucrative competition altogether is likely to be more than a mere coincidence.

Liverpool’s whole spending power for the immediate future will be determined in early December and should things have not gone to plan on and off the pitch it is eminently possible that the manager’s hands will be tied in the transfer market.

empty.gif http://' target="_blank">

For the time being, both parties are engaged in a game of risk being played for the highest stakes.

Benitez’s outburst yesterday and the Americans’ reaction to it has hardened positions and there appears little prospect of any ground being given in the short term, particularly with the chances of mediation being so slim with Benitez’s relationship with chief executive Rick Parry also at a low point.

Hicks and Gillett do not want to be seen to giving into demands and, as hard nosed American businessmen, the chances of them doing so seem remote at best.

But their position is far from risk-free. They will know, for example, that Mascherano’s situation at Anfield is being monitored by some of Europe’s top clubs, all eager to snatch the Argentinian midfielder away from Liverpool’s grasp when a deal for him could already have been concluded.

They have also been given details of Benitez’s entire transfer strategy for the coming weeks – with players marked for departure as well as arrival and a desire on the manager’s behalf to balance the books – and should the necessary defensive reinforcements not be recruited then an injury to one of the Liverpool’s main defenders could cost them any realistic hopes of challenging for the title.

For Benitez, the risks could not be greater. He has publicly challenged his employers for a second time in a bid to spur them into action.

Should they refuse to budge, his bluff will have been called and he will have to decide whether he can continue to work for people who have refused to back his judgement.

Earlier this week, Benitez spoke openly about being happy with his club, his players and his city. Yesterday, he was so unhappy with his lot he even talked of becoming the next manager of England.

It seems improbable that such talk was anything more than a shot across the bows for Messrs Hicks and Gillett.

But the fact that they fired straight back, and with interest, has today left Benitez at the crossroads of his Anfield career.

That meeting on December 16 may have to be brought forward – it is time for the air at Anfield to be cleared once and for all.

This whole affair has started becuase Rafa want's to complete the signing of Mascherano and buy a striker and a centre back in January.

We are going to have to pay 17 million pound for Macherano and that does seem like an awful lot of money when you consider how many other midfielders you could get for that money and he has been playing for us for nearly a year for free.

Plus with the signing of a new defender and striker that means the new yank owners are going to have to fork out close to 40 million quid and we might not even qualify for the knockout stages of the champions league.

It's going to be an intresting couple of months :o .

This whole affair has started becuase Rafa want's to complete the signing of Mascherano and buy a striker and a centre back in January.

We are going to have to pay 17 million pound for Macherano and that does seem like an awful lot of money when you consider how many other midfielders you could get for that money and he has been playing for us for nearly a year for free.

Plus with the signing of a new defender and striker that means the new yank owners are going to have to fork out close to 40 million quid and we might not even qualify for the knockout stages of the champions league.

Here's Rafa's record in the transfer market :D :

IN

Josemi £2m

Antonio Nunez £2m

Xabi Alonso £10.7m

Luis Garcia £6m

Mauricio Pellegrino Free

Fernando Morientes £6.5m

Scott Carson £750,000

Antonio Baragan Compensation fee

Jose Reina £6m

Mohammed Sissoko £5.6m

Boudewijn Zenden Free

Peter Crouch £7m

Jack Hobbs £750,000

Godwin Anti Free

Miquel Roque Free

Jan Kromkamp Swop for Josemi

Paul Anderson Swop for John Welsh

Daniel Agger £5.8m

Craig Bellamy £6m

Gabriel Paletta £2m

Mark Gonzalez £4.5m

Fabio Aurelio Free

Jermaine Pennant £6.7m

Dirk Kuyt £9m

Alvaro Arbeloa £2.64m

Andriy Voronin Free

Lucas Leiva £6m

Sebastien Leto £1.5m

Fernando Torres £20m

Yossi Benayoun £5m

Ryan Babel £11m

Charles Itandje Free

---------

£127.44m

OUT

Danny Murphy £2.5m

Michael Owen £8m

Vladimir Smicer Free

El Hadji Diouf Undisclosed fee

Mauricio Pellegrino Free

Alou Diarra £2m

Gregory Vignal Free

Jon Otsemobor Free

Milan Baros £6.5m

Josemi Swop for Jan Kromkamp

John Welsh Swop for Paul Anderson

Fernando Morientes £3m

Dietmar Hamann Free

Bruno Cheyrou Free

Djimi Traore £2m

Neil Mellor Free

Jan Kromkamp £1.5m

Darren Potter £200,000

Steve Warnock £2.5m

Salif Diao Free

Luis Garcia £4m

Mark Gonzalez £3.5m

Djibril Cisse £8m

Craig Bellamy £7.5m

Jerzy Dudek Free

---------

£51.2m

well thats how it seemed at the start SM.

but its coming out now that rafa has been told that he has no control over buying and selling players.

he wants to sell 2 and buy 2 when the transfer window re-opens, but hicks wants control over what he does, very similar to what he and other yanks do with their "franchises" in the USA.

now this is the second time rafa has kicked up about money etc since athens. in the summer, after selling players and the money generated by the champions league etc, we only spent an extra 5 million.

its about time the yanks started showing us the money. looks like we have been taken for a ride mate. after their latest outburst i wouldnt be surprised if rafa walked soon.

and what the &lt;deleted&gt; is parry playing at? surley these outbursts should and could be avoided. isnt this what his job is now? to act as a middle man for the septics and rafa.

very embarassing all this

Team news ahead of the early kick off and it looks like we have a full squad to choose from for the first time in a few months. Harry Kewell is pushing for a first team place :o :

Newcastle v Liverpool

_44245428_new_liv_0506.gif

St James' Park

Saturday, 24 November

Kick-off: 1245 GMT

BBC coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

Newcastle are without Michael Owen and Steven Taylor, injured after England and England U-21 duty respectively.

Abdoulaye Faye, Stephen Carr, Claudio Cacapa, Celestine Babayaro and Damien Duff are also out but Shay Given is fit and Nicky Butt is back from suspension.

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres will return to the starting line-up and centre-back Daniel Agger may also return after a two-month absence.

Midfielder Harry Kewell is also pushing for a starting spot.

Newcastle: Harper, Given, Beye, Enrique, Rozehnal, Edgar, Butt, Milner, Geremi, Emre, N'Zogbia, Barton, Smith, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Aurelio, Riise, Babel, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Sissoko, Kewell, Voronin, Kuyt, Crouch, Torres, Martin, Lucas.

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce:

"The most important thing for us is to see our players play at their best on a regular basis.

"We have seen them all play at their best, but unfortunately sometimes we have seen them play not as well as we know they can play.

"That is why results have become inconsistent."

<LI>Liverpool striker Fernando Torres:

"From what I have seen so far in England, we do not have anything to fear from any of our opponents for the title.

"They are all great teams with a lot of experience and many very, very good players - but so are we.

"We have a confidence and a focus which will make us a very dangerous opponent for everyone who has to face us."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Newcastle have their sights set on a return to the top half; Liverpool are eager to return to the top three.

The Magpies have scored as many Premier League goals as the Merseysiders (19), but have conceded three times as many (18 to six).

Liverpool still hold one of the two remaining unbeaten records in the Premier League, but they have only recorded back-to-back league wins once this season.

The Reds have scored 52 Premier League goals against Newcastle. They have not netted more against any other club.

CLUB FORM

NEWCASTLE UNITED

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...res/default.stm

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 8th

Lowest could fall: 11th

1. Picked up one point from a last possible nine.

2. Won five of 12 Premier League games under Sam Allardyce.

3. Not kept a clean sheet in eight league games, since the 1-0 home win over Wigan on 1 September.

4. Chasing a third home win this season against north-west clubs, having already beaten Wigan and Everton.

5. Portsmouth became the first club in this campaign to leave St James' Park with maximum points, when they won 1-4 in the most recent fixture to be staged on Tyneside on 3 November.

6. Must visit Blackburn next Saturday, before entertaining Arsenal on the following Wednesday.

LIVERPOOL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...res/default.stm

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 3rd

Lowest could fall: 7th

1. Unbeaten in 13 Premier League matches; won six and drawn seven since losing 1-0, away to Fulham on 5 May.

2. The joint draw specialists of the Premier League, with Fulham. Both have finished level on six occasions.

3. Conceded fewer Premier League goals than any other club, with the exception of Manchester United, having let in six from 12 outings at two per match on average, and only two of those in the first half. The Red Devils have a superior average, having let in six from 13 matches.

4. Averaging two points per game (24 in 12). It's their best start since 30 points were accrued to this stage in 2002-03 when they finished fifth. However a higher finish has been attained in three of the four subsequent seasons, after inferior starts.

5. Conceded the opening goal in only one Premier League match this season - fewer than any other club; the 1-2 victory at Everton on 20 October.

6. Lost the lead four times in Premier League matches this season, and dropped six points from leading positions, drawing home to Chelsea, Tottenham and Arsenal.

7. Their 12 league games have produced 25 goals (19 for, six against). At 2.08, it's the lowest goals per game average in the Premier League.

8. Involved in three goalless draws in the Premier League; that's more than any other club with the exception of Portsmouth, who've also completed three.

9. Boasting the strongest away form in this league with 14 of their 24 points gained on the road, including victories at Aston Villa, Sunderland, Wigan and Everton.

10. This match precedes the Champions League Group A tie, home to FC Porto on Wednesday.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

NEWCASTLE UNITED

Obafemi MARTINS is Newcastle's top scorer with five goals.

MARTINS is also the club's top marksmen in the Premier League with four.

If selected:-

Steve HARPER will be making his 100th career league appearance (Newcastle, Bradford City, Stockport, Hartlepool and Huddersfield).

If on the field from the outset:-

James MILNER will be making his 150th career club start (Leeds, Swindon, Newcastle and Aston Villa).

LIVERPOOL

Fernando TORRES is Liverpool's top scorer with eight goals, and top Premier League marksman, with five.

Goalkeeper Jose REINA is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Liverpool's Premier League matches this season.

REINA leads the race for the Barclays Golden Glove, jointly with Chelsea's Petr CECH. Both have kept seven clean sheets.

Steven GERRARD is a hat-trick away from 50 club career goals - all for Liverpool.

If selected:-

Mohamed SISSOKO will be making his 50th Premier League appearance in Liverpool colours.

Xabi ALONSO will be playing on the eve of his 26th birthday.

If on the field from the outset:-

Dirk KUYT will be making his 50th start in a Liverpool shirt.

HEAD TO HEAD

Newcastle have a 25% win rate in the Premier League against Liverpool (seven of 28).

The Magpies have won only four of their last 12 home matches against Liverpool, in all competitions.

The 2-1 victory in this corresponding fixture last season ended Liverpool's three-match winning streak against Newcastle.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Newcastle 40 wins, Liverpool 67, Draws 37

Prem: Newcastle 7 wins, Liverpool 15, Draws 6

at Newcastle only

League (inc PL): Newcastle 29 wins, Liverpool 20, Draws 23

Prem: Newcastle 6 wins, Liverpool 4, Draws 4

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Newcastle United 2-1 Liverpool

10 February 2007 - Ref: Mark Halsey

Newcastle scorers: Martins 26, Solano 70 pen

Liverpool scorer: Bellamy 6

REFEREE

Alan Wiley (Burntwood, Staffordshire)

Gerrard scored a screamer to shut the boo boys up ( no doubt he's getting booed because of England ).

Harry Kewell , making his first Liverpool start in 18 months :o , is playing superb :D .

Half time Newcastle 0-1 Liverpool.

Although we should be more than 1-0 up we'll take leading at half time against any team in the premiership when playing away.

C'MON LIVERPOOL :D

Gerrard scored a screamer to shut the boo boys up ( no doubt he's getting booed because of England ).

Harry Kewell , making his first Liverpool start in 18 months :o , is playing superb :D .

Half time Newcastle 0-1 Liverpool.

Although we should be more than 1-0 up we'll take leading at half time against any team in the premiership when playing away.

C'MON LIVERPOOL :D

The ball has just hit Kuyt and gone in :D

Newcastle 0-2 Liverpool ( 47 mins )

It just might be our day :D

Full time Newcastle 0-3 Liverpool :D .

It should have been 5 or 6-0 in the end. It wasn't so much the performance from Liverpool that was great , it was the piss poor performance from the geordies that made it a comfortable game for us.

There are some huge problems at St. James' park and the odds on Big Sam to be the next premiership manager to get the bullet will have shortened a lot after this game.

A professional performance in the end from Liverpool. Kewell played really well , Lucas didn't look out of place , Gerrard was playing in Liverpool mode :D , Kuyt got rewarded for all his hard work by getting on the score-sheet and Babel made a goalscoring substitute appearance.

The only blemish on an otherwise excellent showing from Liverpool was all the chances Torres wasted. He should have scored 3 or 4 goals. Let's hope he was just saving the goals for when we really need them :o .

GET IN LIVERPOOL !!!!!!!

Match report from the bbc :

Newcastle 0-3 Liverpool

999999.gif

Liverpool put the friction between manager Rafael Benitez and the club's board behind them to beat Newcastle.

Gerrard, booed by Magpies fans for his part in England's Euro 2008 qualifying failure, answered the jeers by powering in a 30-yard shot for the Reds.

Fernando Torres hit the post after Newcastle keeper Shay Given escaped a red card for blocking his initial shot with his arm outside the area.

Dirk Kuyt bundled in a Reds second before Ryan Babel slid in the third.

The home fans turned on Magpies boss Sam Allardyce in the second half but had earlier vented their frustrations at England's Euro 2008 heartbreak by booing Gerrard with his every touch.

But the midfielder looked a different player on Liverpool duty and was helped by a lacklustre and injury-ravaged Newcastle side gifting the visitors the majority of possession.

o.gif

Liverpool took their time in trying to prise a way through the Magpies defence and a swerving Gerrard strike forced Given into desperately punching the ball to safety.

The pressure built as Newcastle continued to be strangers to the ball, and Gerrard responded to the catcalls in emphatic fashion by breaking the deadlock.

He gave Given little chance of reaching his fiercely struck shot after Lucas Leiva, making his first Premier League start, rolled a free-kick to him.

Newcastle's solitary chance of the first half came when Alan Smith controlled a ball on his thigh and volleyed just wide of the far post with an effort across goal.

The Reds should have been two-up on the stroke of half-time and keeper Given dismissed for Newcastle.

He came storming out of his goal as Liverpool counter-attacked and, as Torres tried to curl a shot around him with the outside of his foot, blocked with his arm.

Torres should have side-footed into an empty net from 25 yards when the ball again broke to him but he hit the post, while referee Alan Wiley took no action against Given.

But the visitors wasted no time after the break to add a second with Sami Hyypia flicking on a header from a corner and Kuyt guided in with his shin from point-blank range.

Torres twice went wide as he struggled to make the most of regular opportunities coming his way as the home fans vented their frustrations on Allardyce.

They showed their discontent when Joey Barton came on instead of James Milner.

The fans then cheered when Milner finally came on but the jeers were back with the attack-minded Charles N'Zogbia being taken off to make way.

Liverpool showed little sympathy as Babel played a neat one-two with Gerrard and sidefooted in a shot. The scoreline could have been worse for Newcastle but for Given as the supporters also made their anger with their team and manager clear at the end.

So the mancs got beat by the trotters 1-0 :D .

It was a shame the gooners scored 2 late goals against Wigan :D .

Let's hope chelski drop some points in the late kick off ( though I doubt it , they are playing Derby :D ).

Liverpool are right back in the title picture :o .

December 15th ....... Liverpool v Manchester United ..... Anfield.