Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

This is our senior squad now that Raul has departed, for some mental reason. I thought we had the perfect depth of squad we needed for this season with Meireles here and counting on letting players like Ngog, Degen, Cole and Poulsen go. That's five gone just today!

We have 19 senior players... Man we cleared out a lot of players the last week or 10 days, not to mention just today, and only got Bellamy in, so we are looking almost a bit thin now. I know we're not in Europe but still, c'mon Reds, Meireles still was a great player to have...Henderson doesn't count in the senior squad as he wasn't 21 when 2011 started. Plus we have Kelly, Flannagan, Robinson, and Shelvey who are training with the first team most or all of the time.

This is it as far as I can tell:

foreign

Daniel Agger

Fabio Aurelio

Dirk Kuyt

Lucas Leiva

Pepe Reina

Maxi Rodriguez

Martin Skrtel

Luis Suarez

Charlie Adam

Alexander Doni

Jose Enrique

homegrown

Jamie Carragher

Steven Gerrard

Glen Johnson

Brad Jones

Jay Spearing

Andrew Carroll

Stewart Downing

Craig Bellamy

edit: And of course we have the young Coates in the first team squad as well. Still 20, though.

edit: Missed this one, Degen's gone from the club to...nobody. As a free agent he probably still have time to sign in some leagues in Europe, but for a Premier League side I think it would need to be by Friday? He's probably best suited for Switzerland, anyway. Maybe he should come play in the Thai Premier League? he he

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/degen-leaves-reds

Edited by Jimjim

Degen has gone. We terminated his contract. As for Raul, well the fact that AVB payed 12mil for a player Kenny doesn't rate just means he... is also a Portuguese shithouse haha. Besides we have 1st option on Eden Hazard in the summer so we probably would have sold him anyway.

Seriously though made up with this window and all for a netspend of around 45mil. No more deadwood.

Was hoping we would bring in 1 more, maybe Matt Jarvis but boy. FSG mean business.

What the hell we letting Meireles go to Chelsea for?

f***ing hell...

i am so 'meh' about meireles going it's untrue. he's alright but nothing brilliant. the minute you read the words 'kenny didn't fancy him' that's kind of it for me.

also beautifully summed up by an evertonian: '10m for our best player but they get 12.75m for their 5th choice centre mid? <deleted>?'

f***ing hell...

i am so 'meh' about meireles going it's untrue. he's alright but nothing brilliant. the minute you read the words 'kenny didn't fancy him' that's kind of it for me.

also beautifully summed up by an evertonian: '10m for our best player but they get 12.75m for their 5th choice centre mid? <deleted>?'

I guess I was just a fan of his and would have liked him to be in the overall squad for experienced depth. When he and Suarez came on against Arsenal they changed the game. Just gives a different option. But I'm sure we'll do fine without him and perhaps it will give Shelvey more chances to develop.

But we got a fair price for him, so that's wonderful.

So, only Brad Jones left from Hodgson's buys now, huh? :)

f***ing hell...

I guess I was just a fan of his and would have liked him to be in the overall squad for experienced depth. When he and Suarez came on against Arsenal they changed the game. Just gives a different option. But I'm sure we'll do fine without him and perhaps it will give Shelvey more chances to develop.

But we got a fair price for him, so that's wonderful.

So, only Brad Jones left from Hodgson's buys now, huh? :)

i'm just not arsed about meireles jim, i think his reputation was flattered by one hot goalscoring spell after kenny came in and he simply wouldn't play that much this season. maxi's a better attacking mid, gerrard, lucas, adam, henderson and spearing are better central mids, downing, maxi and kuyt all better than him in the wide roles in a 3 behind a striker. not to mention that he put a transfer request in half an hour before the deadline so he can fuc_k off with behaviour like that anyway. edit - bellamy can play in the wide roles too, forgot about him. hah.

yep, and jones is third choice keeper so who cares? i am absolutely amazed that we have managed to shift cole, poulsen, konchesky, ngog, degen et al this summer. brilliant work by the club.

Edited by StevieH

i always liked bellamy and didn't really want to move him on last time.

plus if we play a front three of suarez, carroll and bellamy we may now have the most potentially violent front line in the world.

All you needed was barton and with gerrard, you'll never walk alone to the pub, jail, etc. ;)

Keep him away from the golf clubs and he should be ok!

surprised you got rid of eggnog(22) and signed Bellamy(32) could be a problem with his attitude if he is not playing,he has stated before he does not go anywhere to sit on the bench,good attitude when playing regularly but have my concerns about him unsettling some "stars" with his sulks when not playing regularly....we will see.

not to mention that he put a transfer request in half an hour before the deadline so he can fuc_k off with behaviour like that anyway.

Really can't for the life of me think why a player would do what he did, and particularly when it is not much more than a sideways move, from one potentially top four club to another potentially top four club. Knob.

i am absolutely amazed that we have managed to shift cole, poulsen, konchesky, ngog, degen et al this summer. brilliant work by the club.

indeed, the art of dealing in the transfer window isn't just about who you can get in, but who can you clear your unwanted surplus to.

not to mention that he put a transfer request in half an hour before the deadline so he can fuc_k off with behaviour like that anyway.

Really can't for the life of me think why a player would do what he did, and particularly when it is not much more than a sideways move, from one potentially top four club to another potentially top four club. Knob.

there was talk when we signed him that he was on a relatively low wage and that it'd be renegotiated after a year. then kenny came in, apparently didn't fancy meireles and signed better players than him for the couple of positions he would potentially occupy this season. so in the end it's probably about money. i don't see him necessarily getting more games at chelsea than he'd have got with us - plays in lampard's position really.

i am absolutely amazed that we have managed to shift cole, poulsen, konchesky, ngog, degen et al this summer. brilliant work by the club.

indeed, the art of dealing in the transfer window isn't just about who you can get in, but who can you clear your unwanted surplus to.

the impact on our wage bill is enormous.

the impact on our wage bill is enormous.

I think what we achieved this transfer window is incredibly impressive.

I think we placed reshaping the squad ahead of achieving the best 'deals' so I suspect that our actual financial savings etc might be less than we think. (Supposedly we are paying 60% of Cole's wages at Lille.) But I think that was the whole point of the exercise.

The actual cost of the whole thing hasnt been much more than a 'Modric' (not that anyone is quite sure what a Modric is worth.)

28 transfers I believe.

Meireles is the only controversial one. My theory is that Comolli and Kenny were only going for the full set of cards in terms of unwinding every single signing that Hodgson had made in one single transfer window (which might be a record of sorts.)

My only regret re-Meireles is that we sold him to Chelsea which slightly disrespects Levy's 'balls of steel' award on Modric and I hope doesnt come back to bite us in the ass.

This may not be bang on the money but it's somewhere close. Also the savings made on peoples wages, Degen, Cole, Soto etc...

Out

Torres - 50m

Babel - 6m

Konchesky - 1.5m

Ayala - 1m

Aquillani - 7m ?

Ngog - 4m

Meireless - 12m

Total = 81.5m

IN

Suarez - 23m

Carroll - 35m

Henderson - 16m

Adam - 6m

Doni - Free

Downing - 16m

Enrique - 5m

Coates - 7m

Bellamy - Free

Total = 108 m

Not really wanting to get over critical about our window but I think Cole's loan signing to Lille is a little pathetic. I mean we are going to continue to pay 60% of his wages.

As for 'Cole' he is seen to be 'brave' enough to go and play for some 'foreign' club. Well apart from the fact he is apparently planning to commute from his London home.

Personally I would have liked him to be sent off to play for Anzhi Makhachkala where all the players apparently regularly commute 1600km a week from Moscow (a place I would personally prefer to commute to, than to get to in any case.) Unfortunately he isnt probably good enough to join Samuel Eto and Roberto Carlos.

Not really wanting to get over critical about our window but I think Cole's loan signing to Lille is a little pathetic. I mean we are going to continue to pay 60% of his wages.

As for 'Cole' he is seen to be 'brave' enough to go and play for some 'foreign' club. Well apart from the fact he is apparently planning to commute from his London home.

Personally I would have liked him to be sent off to play for Anzhi Makhachkala where all the players apparently regularly commute 1600km a week from Moscow (a place I would personally prefer to commute to, than to get to in any case.) Unfortunately he isnt probably good enough to join Samuel Eto and Roberto Carlos.

couldn't disagree with you more mate, i'm pleased we've got 40k or so a week off the wage bill and a player who wasn't wanted at the club away from melwood.

i also, even though i never really wanted him in the first place and don't particularly rate him, wish joe cole all the luck in the world at lille. hope he gets his career re-started. he's not had a great year at liverpool but he's not moaned and bitched where many might have done. he'll probably do alright in france if he can stay off the chocolate croissants and boeuf-en-croute.

he also, aside from the lingering but irrelevant brad jones, represents the cutting of all ties with the disastrous hodgson / purslow era.

We still have Danny Wilson, too, but if I remember Rafa wanted him before, as well.

I agree with you StevieH on reflection, if he's going to be turning in a transfer request, we don't need him. So, I guess I should have said, what the hell is Meireles doing handing in a transfer request? Would have been nice to keep him around for another season, at least, and I think he's good mates with Lucas, Maxi and Suarez but we've made a profit off of him and he wanted to leave, in the end.

That said, even Carragher said he was shocked to see him hand in a transfer request and I think Liverpool would still have refused Chelsea had he not done it, so in the end it was the player's decision.

Yes, his wages at Liverpool were poor for his quality and I think it must be about money. I'm sure Chelsea will be paying him better. Also I don't see him in their starting 11 but with Essien having a long term injury, think they really wanted another midfielder in their squad.

Gerrard is talking about returning to full training this week and even playing a part in the Spurs game in two weeks time. Sounds incredibly optimistic about his injury and his levels of fitness.

A lot of great things have happened to the club over the last 8 months but getting back a match fit Gerrard would be a huge bonus. He has only accounted for 4 of the last 65 goals that Liverpool have scored, so we have, to an extent, learnt to live without him.

http://www.liverpool...-in-reds-sights

Seems a smart move this.

14 of the 23 players in Uruguay's national squad started out at Nacional. To build a formal relationship with the club, so that Nacional players want to join Liverpool and a player like Suarez is keen to remain at Liverpool makes a lot of sense.

yes, i really like it when the club puts smart agreements like this in place. said it before but the quantity of quality footballers uruguay turns out given its size and population is amazing.

Just watched Kenny's pre-match press conf

HAHA just brilliant, just shot down the guy interviewing him about Carrol, Gerrard and other stuff - brilliant!

Short version here the full version is better :lol:

takes no shit from anybody does he and the press are clearly bloody terrified of him as well. i absolutely love the way kenny keeps fuc_king with that soft lad vinny o'connor from sky sports by the way. from yesterday:

Kenny: "Where's Vinny?".

Journalist: "Off".

Kenny: "Ill?".

Journalist: "No, day off".

Kenny: "That's a shame. I wanted him to be ill".