Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

I don't think the judge looked at their fitness for running a clapped out club. (Sorry had to get that in).

Ah well, what's best, a has been or a never was,

And probably never will be (Sorry, had to get that in)

I prefer to look at the Now, rather than the Then! But I respect your right to think about how great you might once have been - many years ago .

Re Nellyp's post - Carragher should not be offered a coaching job. Get rid of him to the nearest golf course.

The big question is: should Gerrard be replaced? He's getting old, and the fact he is often your second-best player should worry you, but someone needs to fill his boots.

I'm finished with this "debate!"

All i have to say is you'll never understand on this thread what it is to be a Tottenhan fan. Were different, not better but different. Explain....no i can't explain because you're not from north London and were just uniquely different thats all. huh.png

Now excuse me, i think i'm going to throw up. sick.gif

Too many post on here about the semantics of football, it's all getting a bit depressing. let's leave the way alone as the posts about it are now boring me to death. i can't even be bothered to reply to them. We had a glorious hat-trick on the weekend and the most boring game i have seen in a long time on Tuesday. How many posts about them? Count them on one hand.

here's a starter for 10. I want to see a few players out. They include Carragher (please don't kill me fellow supporters) because I think his day is gone,. should he stay and help coaching and be an emergency measure, or move to another club? Downing should also go ( we were so much better for the secoind half of the first half), where do you think he would fit in and how much is he worth?

Its probably a bit early to let this thread dissolve into a transfer thread. We have all summer for that and we have the biggest match of the season coming up Saturday.

In my view, Downing should definitely play in the Final. He has had about his two best games for Liverpool playing at Wembley. It is the larger pitch combined with his speed that makes the difference.

As for Carragher I agree. Our best back for is Johnson, Skrtel, Agger and Enrique. I suspect Carragher will be picked in any case and it is only a question of who makes way.

Chelsea have generally been very good since Terry took over as manager and we will need to be at our best if we are going to beat them.

Too many post on here about the semantics of football, it's all getting a bit depressing. let's leave the way alone as the posts about it are now boring me to death. i can't even be bothered to reply to them. We had a glorious hat-trick on the weekend and the most boring game i have seen in a long time on Tuesday. How many posts about them? Count them on one hand.

here's a starter for 10. I want to see a few players out. They include Carragher (please don't kill me fellow supporters) because I think his day is gone,. should he stay and help coaching and be an emergency measure, or move to another club? Downing should also go ( we were so much better for the secoind half of the first half), where do you think he would fit in and how much is he worth?

Its probably a bit early to let this thread dissolve into a transfer thread. We have all summer for that and we have the biggest match of the season coming up Saturday.

In my view, Downing should definitely play in the Final. He has had about his two best games for Liverpool playing at Wembley. It is the larger pitch combined with his speed that makes the difference.

As for Carragher I agree. Our best back for is Johnson, Skrtel, Agger and Enrique. I suspect Carragher will be picked in any case and it is only a question of who makes way.

Chelsea have generally been very good since Terry took over as manager and we will need to be at our best if we are going to beat them.

Presuming your backline is fit why would any of those mentiones make way for Carragher?

And yes, Terry might well be a better manager than Villas-Boas! Quite how he will set up his back four against Bayern what with the injuries and suspensions will be interesting smile.png

downing makes me want to commit murder. he's what i hate most in players, lazy gets. he's got plenty of ability but no will, no drive, no heart and no courage. in fact he could be all of the characters that dorothy encounters on her way to see the wizard in one footballer. drives me berserk he does. and he cost 19 bloody million for a supposedly finished article.

downing makes me want to commit murder. he's what i hate most in players, lazy gets. he's got plenty of ability but no will, no drive, no heart and no courage. in fact he could be all of the characters that dorothy encounters on her way to see the wizard in one footballer. drives me berserk he does. and he cost 19 bloody million for a supposedly finished article.

The new Bentley.

The new Bentley.

bentley always seemed a bit of a pretty boy though, too much hair gel and more concerned with his looks than his game. never thought downing was that, thought he was a genuinely solid pro who would kick on at a bigger club. he's been an enormous disappointment.

Too true and he hides in the big games. Bloke has no balls and is proving to be a wasted talent. Atleast Andy Carroll tries and quite obviously wants to prove himself.

Over the years you see players with limited talent (G Neville) that make up for this shortfall by sheer effort and commitment. You have to respect those guys, especially when you see the more gifted ones (D Bentley) who have no work ethic and shamelessly waste their natural ability.

• Like 1

The new Bentley.

bentley always seemed a bit of a pretty boy though, too much hair gel and more concerned with his looks than his game. never thought downing was that, thought he was a genuinely solid pro who would kick on at a bigger club. he's been an enormous disappointment.

Hair gel aside he was starting to look very good at Blackburn and then i think he started to read his own press. All that "new Beckham" media tripe.

Being the impressionable pretty boy he is, he thought he had arrived.

i don't mind wingers being greedy so long as they've got an end-product. if they can beat two men and take two opponents out of the game that's a good thing - they've then got to score or create a goal though otherwise it's pointless.

Hair gel aside he was starting to look very good at Blackburn and then i think he started to read his own press. All that "new Beckham" media tripe.

Being the impressionable pretty boy he is, he thought he had arrived.

With all his natural talent, i always believed that once he got over himself - however long that took - he would get back to playing the way that he can, and push on to be a great footballer. Amazed that that didn't happen, and that his career just ebbed away. Perhaps he has had the wrong people around him. Whatever, it is a shame.

Downing hasn't performed consistently but he was man of the match in the Carling Cup Final. But he hides in the big games so I guess that's not a big game is it?

:)

He's shown flashes and his game winner against Stoke City was great but I too, have been disappointed by him. I'm backing him to improve though, after the supposed "culture shock" as he put it. He has probably already hit his peak, though.

Downing hasn't performed consistently but he was man of the match in the Carling Cup Final. But he hides in the big games so I guess that's not a big game is it?

smile.png

He's shown flashes and his game winner against Stoke City was great but I too, have been disappointed by him. I'm backing him to improve though, after the supposed "culture shock" as he put it. He has probably already hit his peak, though.

jim mate, i'd have been man of the match in the carling cup final. we were bloody awful.

your second line is bang on about downing - he's probably peaked. we've had some truly dreadful supposedly 'finished article' signings in recent years. downing, robbie keane, aquilani, even someone like fernando morientes. good players who've just ended up as total wastes of money. it's frustrating.

smile.png

Well done jim, you choose one game out of about forty-five to substantiate your point! rolleyes.gif

smile.png

jim mate, i'd have been man of the match in the carling cup final. we were bloody awful.

your second line is bang on about downing - he's probably peaked. we've had some truly dreadful supposedly 'finished article' signings in recent years. downing, robbie keane, aquilani, even someone like fernando morientes. good players who've just ended up as total wastes of money. it's frustrating.

I remember saying to someone about overrated English players before the start of the season and Downing and Young were mentioned but my meaning was there is so much expectation for some reason about them. I recently read about Camolli stating that English players if at the same ability of a foreign player, the English player is the better choice as they have more aggression in the EPL (I think that is bullshit by the way if the statement was indeed true)

We've have had an issue with the left wing for sometime and modern successful team need wingers or wingbacks it seems to me at least. Reira then Babel and now Downing - they had their qualities and little match winning moments but so inconsistent. My ideal winger regrettably I have to say is ManU's winger Valencia, although it took a season or more to settle in. For me he keeps play simple, so if you can't beat the full back then just whip it in when you get a bit of space with some pace on the ball and at least give the forward a chance to get near it. Or if you have sized up the full back and can beat them then do just that. Wingers should get a few goals not just assists and defend the wing at a minimum ( Downing has been dreadful at defensive duties and not a Kuyt per say)

The thing is if you look at his day at Mids and Villa he was known for his assists...and looking at the time he had Bent and others to convert his crosses, so it only helped the perception of his performances. Then again you can't tell me he hasn't put in some very decent crosses and balls into the box at times and when played on the right cut in and run past players. So as not to sound like I am defending him I just wonder if Andy had of hit the ground running and finished at least 6 chances I can count that Downing put on a plate for him! you have to wonder would Downing own game/confidence improved?

I do think it's confidence with this guy also, he makes a bad pass or doesn't beat a player and his head drops and disappears, but at the same time he seems to improve in the later stages of a game, maybe when defences tire at the 80 min mark - if he hasn't already been subbed that is.

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Edited by Devil

To be fair to downing, at his previous clubs villa and boro he was one of a pair johnson at midds and young at villa, one on each side depends how u want to play, but with 2 its balanced like at spurs and utd in their pomp one without the other and it's unbalanced, youve got him and ?? gerrard or kuyt, not exactly wingers but hey ho , for me downing is a good winger he runs at full backs take them on and can get a good x in, in consistant, well withats a trad english wingers charecteristic isnt it?. but 4 sure he needs some help and, not thats its my place to say but ure team/ squad could do with some balance, maybe dig deep and get another decent one to add some variety and share the load , anyway, what I came on here originally for was to ask if anyone knew what backroom staff were released by liverpool with Hodgson,I was told by someone, actually at the fa, that Hodgson, wasn't allowed to take anyone with him, i've looked and it seems that it was true. he came by himself and left by himself!!

Edited by rijit

So I think the consensus is that Downing could be/should be good, but he under performs. I totally agree, do we think that he is helped by playing on the right where he has to cut inside to cross the ball? This is a bad failing.... if he can beat a man his job is to cross the ball in to the box from the wing. Sometimes (just to keep defenders on their toes) he should cut inside to play the ball to an attacking mid-fielder or cross from a different angle. I watch Downing play and know exactly what he is going to do, it's too easy to defend agains't, and makes him look worse than he is. Play him properly and let him gain confidence or ship him out.... he will never be good enough playing as he is. We could play Bellamy on the right, but we seem to be stuck on switching sides with them.

In short he could get better butn if he plays on the right he needs to learn to cross the ball with his right foot. if Rocky can do it so can Downing

So I think the consensus is that Downing could be/should be good, but he under performs. I totally agree, do we think that he is helped by playing on the right where he has to cut inside to cross the ball? This is a bad failing.... if he can beat a man his job is to cross the ball in to the box from the wing. Sometimes (just to keep defenders on their toes) he should cut inside to play the ball to an attacking mid-fielder or cross from a different angle. I watch Downing play and know exactly what he is going to do, it's too easy to defend agains't, and makes him look worse than he is. Play him properly and let him gain confidence or ship him out.... he will never be good enough playing as he is. We could play Bellamy on the right, but we seem to be stuck on switching sides with them.

In short he could get better butn if he plays on the right he needs to learn to cross the ball with his right foot. if Rocky can do it so can Downing

I'm afraid £19m should buy you a versatile and able player.He isn't though is he? I was surprised you shelled out that much....its the usual Comolli splatter shotgun. He will claim Suarez and move on and on...

Downing was a crazy fee, I agree. Of the two wingers who left Villa for big fees, United obviously got the better performer and the younger player (in both name and reality! cheesy...), though he's only younger by a year. For some reason I thought Downing was 29 but he's 27 so I guess he's still got some years to prove his worth. But in 15 minutes against Fulham Sterling looked livelier on the wings than Downing ever has for us...

Downing won the game against Stoke for us with a brilliant goal after cutting in from the right. That's 2 Carmine! Another "big" match. The argument wasn't that he played great in every match, which he hasn't, but it was about "big" matches. If you want to get nit-picky then let's do it!

And yes we sucked in the Carling Cup. Hope we can turn in a massive performance tomorrow. Losing to Chelsea would feel horrible...

Edited by Jimjim

Downing was a crazy fee, I agree. Of the two wingers who left Villa for big fees, United obviously got the better performer and the younger player (in both name and reality! cheesy...), though he's only younger by a year. For some reason I thought Downing was 29 but he's 27 so I guess he's still got some years to prove his worth. But in 15 minutes against Fulham Sterling looked livelier on the wings than Downing ever has for us...

Downing won the game against Stoke for us with a brilliant goal after cutting in from the right. That's 2 Carmine! Another "big" match. The argument wasn't that he played great in every match, which he hasn't, but it was about "big" matches. If you want to get nit-picky then let's do it!

And yes we sucked in the Carling Cup. Hope we can turn in a massive performance tomorrow. Losing to Chelsea would feel horrible...

Who's getting nit-picky? I think you're missing the point totally and trying to isolate what i'm saying so i'll make it clearer.

i think Downing is very average. He is an over priced underperforming show pony from smoggie land. biggrin.png

Who's getting nit-picky? I think you're missing the point totally and trying to isolate what i'm saying so i'll make it clearer.

i think Downing is very average. He is an over priced underperforming show pony from smoggie land. biggrin.png

That could have been written by Shakespearebiggrin.png

Anybody know the starting lineup for tonight?

Nope, but I'll bet I would make changes to it (I always do). i'm more concerned about the lightening storms that keep knocking my electricity out....4 times so far this evening, selfish I know but I want to watch the game.

2-1 to Liverpool Drogba to score first, due to a wrongly awarded free kick, from a Carragher debacle, Liverpool to appeal a clear-cut penalty on Suarez, not given and Suarez wrongly yellow carded. Suarez then scores 3 minutes later with an overhead kick from our own penalty area.later John Terry and Ashley Cole have a major bust up traced back to a threesome they once had with Moriniho (jealousy is terrible) John Terry sent off. In the last 2 minutes Bellamy goes on a mazey run, a-la Giggs and is up ended in the box by Torres (also red carded) Up steps Stevie G who slots home easily. The ref blows his whistle. I suddenly ejaculate all over the telly and am sent to bed in disgrace by my wife. Smiling the biggest smile this side of the Mekong. Anybody agree with this

Anybody know the starting lineup for tonight?

Nope, but I'll bet I would make changes to it (I always do). i'm more concerned about the lightening storms that keep knocking my electricity out....4 times so far this evening, selfish I know but I want to watch the game.

2-1 to Liverpool Drogba to score first, due to a wrongly awarded free kick, from a Carragher debacle, Liverpool to appeal a clear-cut penalty on Suarez, not given and Suarez wrongly yellow carded. Suarez then scores 3 minutes later with an overhead kick from our own penalty area.later John Terry and Ashley Cole have a major bust up traced back to a threesome they once had with Moriniho (jealousy is terrible) John Terry sent off. In the last 2 minutes Bellamy goes on a mazey run, a-la Giggs and is up ended in the box by Torres (also red carded) Up steps Stevie G who slots home easily. The ref blows his whistle. I suddenly ejaculate all over the telly and am sent to bed in disgrace by my wife. Smiling the biggest smile this side of the Mekong. Anybody agree with this

Well ! That has, at least, got your wet dream out of the way.

I doubt any of those things will happen, Chelsea will win 2 - 0 and your sacs will remain un-emptied.

How about this:

Liverpool score first in the first half. Place goes nuts. 1-0

Late in first half they start to run out of puff. Drogba equalises before half time - 1-1

Second half Liverpool look rubbish but Carroll up for it. Suarez sent off for diving.

Chelsea go 2-1 up. Terry

Torres scores a brilliant third to wrap up the game late on.

Chelsea 3 Liverpool 1

Cut to gormless Dalgleish on the sidelines at the end, wondering if the Wembley Way is the Liverpool Way, then blaming the defeat on the ref, the woodwork and pure bad luck in the post-match interview.

Good mate but how can you figure in the carthorse getting a start? rolleyes.gif

The yanks will be at Wembley for this. Their £35m will have to be on display. This will be a fine moment for King Kenny....or the end....!