Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Suarez playing up front with RVP, hmmm could be tasty.

i think you might need to sell evra first nev.

Think so, maybe a trade worth doing as Buttner looks a pretty good left back replacement for Evra.

Wow, ths thread has gone AWOL. Biting is the same as spitting and complaining about someone in the media giving a sound bite! Comparing biting in a football match to a boxer being punched!

Really is this defence of a player really gone to this extreme. Should Liverpool sell Suarez, of course not, but they should make an example of him.

• Like 1

Wow, ths thread has gone AWOL. Biting is the same as spitting and complaining about someone in the media giving a sound bite! Comparing biting in a football match to a boxer being punched!

Really is this defence of a player really gone to this extreme. Should Liverpool sell Suarez, of course not, but they should make an example of him.

who is defending suarez?

Playing down what Suarez did is defending him. Suggesting he shouldn't be punished too much because he didn't draw blood, or that is was an offence the same as spitting is defending him.

Playing down what Suarez did is defending him. Suggesting he shouldn't be punished too much because he didn't draw blood, or that is was an offence the same as spitting is defending him.

no it isn't. it's asking for some level of sanity within the discussion. it isn't defending him, he's guilty as sin. is he guilty of a violent act? yes of course. did anyone die or have their career ended? no. so let's not make out that he got out a knife and cut ivanovic's throat eh?

• Like 2

Totally agree.

As a long standing LFC supporter I think he should be severely punished by the club not the miserley 2 weeks wages which apparently is the maximum allowed.

I would suggest the following punishments are more realistic.

No wages for the time he is banned. As he cannot contribute to the club if he is not playing or available.

A £2,000,000 fine (he can afford it on his wages) The money should then go to charities of the club's choosing.

Compulsory working with Liverpool's under priveleged children for a minimum 40 hours a week for the time he is banned from playing.

A compulsory course in Anger Management.

No Liverpool should not get rid of him, though not a nice man as a footballer he is a genius who has kept LFC away from the relegation zone almost single handedly. BesidesI don't think after this latest action he will be worth as much because other clubs would be very concerned paying so much for a player who could well be banned for 6 to 10 matches per season.

I think it will take a good year for this episode in his life to be forgotten (a little) if he behaves himself in the future. Meanwhile every time he plays he will face a torrid barrage of abuse from every away supporter. He has also got to over come the shame he has bought to his family aswell as to the club and it's supporters.

Yes it is about time these sort of actions were properly punished (not a slap on the wrist) by the club aswell as the sanctions ordrered by the FA.

• Like 2

So what kind of punishment would you give Suarez? From a Liverpool perspective and the FA perspective.

well, i expect few will agree with me because of the moral outrage and media feeding frenzy around this, but honestly? about half a dozen games ban and an anger management/therapy course. he didn't actually cause serious injury, he was very stupid and violent.

Yeah, I said earlier in the thread what I think Liverpool should do and it's not to dissimilar to Pormax's view. From the FA I think a ban until the end of the season is fair. Not harsh not lenient.

Edit, maybe a 15 match ban suspended in case he does it again. Which I doubt he will.

Edited by mjj

Totally agree.

As a long standing LFC supporter I think he should be severely punished by the club not the miserley 2 weeks wages which apparently is the maximum allowed.

I would suggest the following punishments are more realistic.

No wages for the time he is banned. As he cannot contribute to the club if he is not playing or available.

A £2,000,000 fine (he can afford it on his wages) The money should then go to charities of the club's choosing.

Compulsory working with Liverpool's under priveleged children for a minimum 40 hours a week for the time he is banned from playing.

A compulsory course in Anger Management.

No Liverpool should not get rid of him, though not a nice man as a footballer he is a genius who has kept LFC away from the relegation zone almost single handedly. BesidesI don't think after this latest action he will be worth as much because other clubs would be very concerned paying so much for a player who could well be banned for 6 to 10 matches per season.

I think it will take a good year for this episode in his life to be forgotten (a little) if he behaves himself in the future. Meanwhile every time he plays he will face a torrid barrage of abuse from every away supporter. He has also got to over come the shame he has bought to his family aswell as to the club and it's supporters.

Yes it is about time these sort of actions were properly punished (not a slap on the wrist) by the club aswell as the sanctions ordrered by the FA.

since when were fines income-linked? give over.

What I don't get about an incident like this is the over-reactions. The calls for Liverpool to do the "right thing" and get rid of the player. When has any club done that? Has United done it when they had similar crazy actions by their players?

Yes it's stupid, immature, mental, despicable, etc. I was stupefied that he would bite someone again after he's already done it once and been banned 7 matches for it. It's honestly quite pathetic to open himself up to another huge controversy for doing the same thing.

But other players get off scot-free for breaking other players' legs if the ref happened to see it and didn't give a red card right then. They can end other players' careers and get a customary 3 match ban and be back playing.

So, in the UK:

Violent conduct including breaking another's leg = ah just dust it off son. 3 match ban for offender

Immature, boyish nibble that doesn't even break the skin = That's horrible! 3 matches is surely not enough for this ungentlemanly action!

I would compare it to spitting in someone's face. Alcaraz did this and got a 3 match ban. Why is this so much worse? No harm was done physically to Ivanovic. I understand the bit about it being an off the ball incident and not part of the game like rough tackling but spitting is in the same category.

Biting; It's ungentlemanly, it's stupid, it's ridiculous, it's cowardly, it's crazy, etc. Just like spitting at someone. I don't think he did it to harm the other player, he did it just to be a prick.

There's no defending it, but because it's just not done, biting someone, but spare me the over-exaggerated outrage. Suarez only has himself to blame, but I think everyone's enjoying hyping this up so much because it's Suarez.

Cantona sprung immediately to mind. Good post.

mark lawrenson is a total and utter clown though. the line "has absolutely no place in football" is #3 from the lazy unthinking pundit's book of lazy football cliches.

Who was idolized during his playing career at Liverpool

was a great player. but is an utter clown of a human being and an appalling 'pundit'. there's a lot of it about. see also ronnie whelan, steve mcmahon, jim beglin, ray houghton. . . .the list of ex-liverpool players now making a living in the media from slaughtering the club rather than supporting and helping it is pretty endless.

Stevie, being as i have only ever heard you defend Liverpool players for what they have done, would there be anything that you wouldn't defend them for ? just wondering like !

mark lawrenson is a total and utter clown though. the line "has absolutely no place in football" is #3 from the lazy unthinking pundit's book of lazy football cliches.

Who was idolized during his playing career at Liverpool

was a great player. but is an utter clown of a human being and an appalling 'pundit'. there's a lot of it about. see also ronnie whelan, steve mcmahon, jim beglin, ray houghton. . . .the list of ex-liverpool players now making a living in the media from slaughtering the club rather than supporting and helping it is pretty endless.

Stevie, being as i have only ever heard you defend Liverpool players for what they have done, would there be anything that you wouldn't defend them for ? just wondering like !

there are loads of examples alfie. the spice boys, stan collymore, graeme souness, genuine fan legends like robbie fowler, pricks like don hutchison and el hadji diouf, that idiot david james. i'm no hypocrite about these things.

So what kind of punishment would you give Suarez? From a Liverpool perspective and the FA perspective.

well, i expect few will agree with me because of the moral outrage and media feeding frenzy around this, but honestly? about half a dozen games ban and an anger management/therapy course. he didn't actually cause serious injury, he was very stupid and violent.

tumblr_mdo4y0DEgy1rik05ro1_400.jpg

• Like 1

So that would be less for a second offence then. That makes sense, a one game fewer ban. Another half a dozen bites and he'd get away scot free.thumbsup.gif

Seriously though, something needs to be done about all the cheating in today's football. Whether it's biting, spitting, diving, going over the top, etc, etc, it's all cheating. Fining a multi millionaire is a total waste of time. £2-300,000 (two weeks pay) fine to today's top professionals is totally meaningless.

I know it makes good banter on sites such as this one and players, managers and supporters alike condone cheating because they gain an advantage and get away with it but, IMO, it's gone too far and all the cheating needs to be stopped.

Liverpool, Man U, I don't care which club it is, we've/they've all got/had their cheats and divers. The clubs need to be hit as well as the players. Dock the club say five points for a first offence, ten for a second every time a player cheats. If it's a cup tie kick the club out of the competition. Managers and fellow players would be begging their stars not to cheat. And how many players would cheat if they knew, not only would his club loose points, there would be 20-30,000 supporters baying for his blood because in one moment of madness he's ruined their season.

Think about it, if the clubs owners miss manage the club and it goes into liquidation the club looses points/gets relegated but but if their star players get away with cheating the clubs, more often than not, actually gain from it.

• Like 1

Such a pity we cant call on Bill Shankly to give us a viewpoint!

i suspect shankly would utterly loathe modern day football and want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it. he'd despise what it has become and pretty much everyone involved with it, some fans excepted.

• Like 1

i suspect shankly would utterly loathe modern day football and want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it. he'd despise what it has become and pretty much everyone involved with it, some fans excepted.

Mate, ESSENTIALLY, football hasn't changed, it's always been bout money and greed, now its just a touch more in the open. on the huge huge plus side 4 players and fans alike it's fuc sight saferthumbsup.gif

Is that because he's dead? Shankly would have you cowering like a little frightened girl if you tried to be a smart arse with him.

Edited by mad mary

Mate, ESSENTIALLY, football hasn't changed, it's always been bout money and greed, now its just a touch more in the open. on the huge huge plus side 4 players and fans alike it's fuc sight saferthumbsup.gif

football was a working class game that has been removed from the hands of the working classes on a structured, corporate basis. it hasn't always been about money and greed. shame you think that really. so ESSENTIALLY, it's changed beyond all recognition and while some might say for the better, i think more would say not really.

Suarez is bigger than LIverpool Football Club.

Shame.

of course if you want to go down that route then roy keane, rio ferdinand and eric cantona are all bigger than manchester united fc. poor quality trolling either way mr ed.

• Like 1

He did try to bite somebody's nose off at Ajax though......so he is a bad egg and leaves a nasty stain whenever he plays.

No Surprise as i said when you signed him if you look back.

No troll stevie the truth.......if he wasn't that great a footballer i think you would be saying the same...without him you will be half the team you are.

Lets ask Ivanovich what he thinks Suarez should get, he was the one bitten. It would be an interesting answer no matter what. I definitely think the fine should go to his choice of charity, as it just seems like a PR stunt otherwise. Personally i think Suarez should be banned until the end of the season and that anybody who draws blood in the future should get a similar ban, along with breaking bones, and making a player sidelined..

I think what he did was stupid and shows a lack of control, Frustration is no excuse, but to me what he did is no worse than breaking somebodies leg (accidental or not) or shattering a cheekbone. make the clubs pay double the fine of the player, I don't think we could link the amount of a fine to wages, the wage structure isn't balanced enough for that

I agree with an earlier post that they need to start applying stricter criteria to people cheating. One of the first things I would tackle is the nonsense in the box at corners. As far as i remember having your arm around somebody to impede is a foul. Start giving pens, it'll stop