Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Yes good effort but if you aspire to do something special this season you would expect to win,at home, against Stoke and the penalty attempt..how does he still get the nod ?

First game of the season, a wins a win pal whichever way you look at it.

• Like 1

What struck me about the game was how poor Stoke were.A backline that is painfully slow and a midfield of snails. Crouch looked like he'd been out on the piss all night. Forget the scoreline and the late rally by Stoke,Liverpool should have been away and gone. Bergovic kept the score down with a man of the match performance. It's going to be a long hard season for Hughes to keep this lot up.

• Like 2

As bad as Stoke was, Liverpool played with great fire and a deserved victory. Rodgers may stick his foot in his mouth at times but he clearly has drilled his players well. Very impressive, and with his no nonsense stand with Suarez he has earned some respect from me. If Pellegrini can get City playing with that kind of fire and team camaraderie I'll be thrilled.

• Like 1

A win and no mention of top 4, very strange 39.gif

one game at a time alfie.

What struck me about the game was how poor Stoke were.A backline that is painfully slow and a midfield of snails. Crouch looked like he'd been out on the piss all night. Forget the scoreline and the late rally by Stoke,Liverpool should have been away and gone. Bergovic kept the score down with a man of the match performance. It's going to be a long hard season for Hughes to keep this lot up.

they're a leslie 'mark' hughes team. he's an awful manager. we should have been out of sight given the chances we made but their keeper had a fine match as you say. hughes' attempt to change the game consisted of putting on two ex-liverpool players in the belief that they'd score against their former team.

As bad as Stoke was, Liverpool played with great fire and a deserved victory. Rodgers may stick his foot in his mouth at times but he clearly has drilled his players well. Very impressive, and with his no nonsense stand with Suarez he has earned some respect from me. If Pellegrini can get City playing with that kind of fire and team camaraderie I'll be thrilled.

we did well. coutinho can be unstoppable if he wants to be, toure had a good match and showed real leadership qualities, sturridge looked on song and took his goal really well, thought henderson had a good game too myself. i know begovic played well but it would be nice to take a couple more chances and get more comfortable so that we're not at risk of a late equaliser. brilliant save from mignolet on the peno though.

A win and no mention of top 4, very strange 39.gif

one game at a time alfie.

they're a leslie 'mark' hughes team. he's an awful manager. we should have been out of sight given the chances we made but their keeper had a fine match as you say. hughes' attempt to change the game consisted of putting on two ex-liverpool players in the belief that they'd score against their former team.

we did well. coutinho can be unstoppable if he wants to be, toure had a good match and showed real leadership qualities, sturridge looked on song and took his goal really well, thought henderson had a good game too myself. i know begovic played well but it would be nice to take a couple more chances and get more comfortable so that we're not at risk of a late equaliser. brilliant save from mignolet on the peno though.

It's irrelevant who the manager of Stoke is. Even Bob Paisley would have it to do to keep this mob in the Premier League. They are what they are. Shawcross,Huth,Wilson,Whelan and N'Zonzi have been and always will be slow and cumbersome and no amount of training will change that. If anybody is to blame,it's Pullis and is idea of total football by gathering together the biggest and slowest players in the League. If anything,the introduction of Adam and Pennant livened them up slightly.

It's irrelevant who the manager of Stoke is. Even Bob Paisley would have it to do to keep this mob in the Premier League. They are what they are. Shawcross,Huth,Wilson,Whelan and N'Zonzi have been and always will be slow and cumbersome and no amount of training will change that. If anybody is to blame,it's Pullis and is idea of total football by gathering together the biggest and slowest players in the League. If anything,the introduction of Adam and Pennant livened them up slightly.

well obviously it isn't irrelevant because pulis got them to unprecedented heights with his admittedly backwards approach. but the fans didn't like it so they brought in someone not exactly renowned for playing champagne passing football and asked him to get them playing passing champagne football with, as you say, a squad full of yard dogs and orcs.

perhaps i'm biased because i simply don't like hughes and don't understand why he's considered a decent manager when his track record is so patchy and his soundbites are pure management consultancy gobshitery. won't lose any sleep if they get relegated at any rate.

• Like 1

well obviously it isn't irrelevant because pulis got them to unprecedented heights with his admittedly backwards approach. but the fans didn't like it so they brought in someone not exactly renowned for playing champagne passing football and asked him to get them playing passing champagne football with, as you say, a squad full of yard dogs and orcs.

perhaps i'm biased because i simply don't like hughes and don't understand why he's considered a decent manager when his track record is so patchy and his soundbites are pure management consultancy gobshitery. won't lose any sleep if they get relegated at any rate.

I concur. The same as I wish every year, I'd love for Stoke to go down. An embarassment to the prem with their style of play, if you can call it that.

Well, as even the Spurs guys have deserted this thread, I may as well give it a bump 5555. Here are my thoughts on Willian and a little bit of ITK to boot!

Willian (who is a Chelsea fan btw)actually wanted to sign for LFC (he is v good mates with Lucas)but there was a £5m gap in the offers. His club wanted his initial signing on/agents fee refunded. Spurs agreed, LFC refused. JWH has already refused to allow agents to cash in following previous year debacles and so the move was dead as soon as the extra cash was mentioned (interesting that Ayre was not involved in the discussions, it was JWH's lackey, a guy named Billy Hogan, who was doing the deal).

There is talk about Yarmalenko, Konoplyanka, Muniain (and still Lamela!)but for me, signing any more attacking players will harm the chances of Sterling and Ibe breaking through, especially if our wee little <deleted> stays! Willian is good,(and I've already put Soldado in my FPL team as he will set up loads of chances for him) but we have Coutinho in that role anyway. A front 4 of Suarez, Coutinho, Aspas/Ibe/Sterling, Sturridge will do for me.

Marquee signings are all well and good, but we've spent a load of cash on youngsters over the past couple of years and it will good to see them get a real chance to progress. ( Beat Manure U21 4-2 at their place the other day with 5<18s, all theirs were 18+). This won't happen if we keep chasing big names. Last season was embarrassing regarding Dempsey and Siggy....but look how that turned out! For me, I'm happy that we pulled out of the Willian deal. Let Spurs have him. They have a great youth squad too, but what chance have they got of breaking thru?

If we are going to spend big money, we need a new centre back as we still look lightweight at set pieces. Hopefully Papadopolopololop.... is over his injury and we can get him. The LB cover is done, we have plenty of RB's and def mids (Toure can also be effective there if we beef up the centre backs). That is where our priority should be.

• Like 1

Well, as even the Spurs guys have deserted this thread, I may as well give it a bump 5555. Here are my thoughts on Willian and a little bit of ITK to boot!

Willian (who is a Chelsea fan btw)actually wanted to sign for LFC (he is v good mates with Lucas)but there was a £5m gap in the offers. His club wanted his initial signing on/agents fee refunded. Spurs agreed, LFC refused. JWH has already refused to allow agents to cash in following previous year debacles and so the move was dead as soon as the extra cash was mentioned (interesting that Ayre was not involved in the discussions, it was JWH's lackey, a guy named Billy Hogan, who was doing the deal).

There is talk about Yarmalenko, Konoplyanka, Muniain (and still Lamela!)but for me, signing any more attacking players will harm the chances of Sterling and Ibe breaking through, especially if our wee little &lt;deleted&gt; stays! Willian is good,(and I've already put Soldado in my FPL team as he will set up loads of chances for him) but we have Coutinho in that role anyway. A front 4 of Suarez, Coutinho, Aspas/Ibe/Sterling, Sturridge will do for me.

Marquee signings are all well and good, but we've spent a load of cash on youngsters over the past couple of years and it will good to see them get a real chance to progress. ( Beat Manure U21 4-2 at their place the other day with 5<18s, all theirs were 18+). This won't happen if we keep chasing big names. Last season was embarrassing regarding Dempsey and Siggy....but look how that turned out! For me, I'm happy that we pulled out of the Willian deal. Let Spurs have him. They have a great youth squad too, but what chance have they got of breaking thru?

If we are going to spend big money, we need a new centre back as we still look lightweight at set pieces. Hopefully Papadopolopololop.... is over his injury and we can get him. The LB cover is done, we have plenty of RB's and def mids (Toure can also be effective there if we beef up the centre backs). That is where our priority should be.

Total crap, i suppose he has tea and crumpets round Ted Rodgers house every sunday afternoon as well laugh.png

Born in Brazil in 1988 and yet he is a Chelsea fan cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So apparently coming to Spurs has nothing to do with this : Willian (above) claimed last year that he and Villas-Boas regularly exchanged text messages and has spoken in the past of his desire to move to a London club.

There is talk about Yarmalenko, Konoplyanka, Muniain (and still Lamela!)but for me, signing any more attacking players will harm the chances of Sterling and Ibe breaking through, especially if our wee little &lt;deleted&gt; stays! Willian is good,(and I've already put Soldado in my FPL team as he will set up loads of chances for him) but we have Coutinho in that role anyway. A front 4 of Suarez, Coutinho, Aspas/Ibe/Sterling, Sturridge will do for me.

Total crap, i suppose he has tea and crumpets round Ted Rodgers house every sunday afternoon as well laugh.png

Born in Brazil in 1988 and yet he is a Chelsea fan cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

So apparently coming to Spurs has nothing to do with this : Willian (above) claimed last year that he and Villas-Boas regularly exchanged text messages and has spoken in the past of his desire to move to a London club.

can imagine you as the sniggering turnip sat in the corner of the pub, telling jokes that aren't funny, laughing loud at you're own jokes so everyone can hear you.

can imagine you as the sniggering turnip sat in the corner of the pub, telling jokes that aren't funny, laughing loud at you're own jokes so everyone can hear you.

I don't sit in corners of pubs, the rest is correct biggrin.png

• Like 2

Well Alfie. Who was AVB with when they were exchanging messages? 55555. A certain London Club near the Kings Road maybe? Who he was still cheering on after AVB departed (and before he joined the spuds!) "Parabens Chelsea!!!". I'm sure you can look up the meaning.

In fairness Bob what do you really expect when a Liverpool fan comes on and starts with "he wanted to join Liverpool but...." I was just waiting to see who would jump on it first!

Back to common sense, i don't think a player that initially agreed to go to Shaktar then made a money driven move to Anzi actually gives a toss where he goes providing so the money is good enough it probably only comes down to the city and the coach he feels he wants to work with.

We can also forget about the "he loves the club" crap as was quoted by one of you about Torres days before he put in a transfer request on the last day of the window. These are the modern day breed of footballers and 95% of them could give a flying &lt;deleted&gt; about anything other than getting paid millions and banging birds

Well Alfie. Who was AVB with when they were exchanging messages? 55555. A certain London Club near the Kings Road maybe? Who he was still cheering on after AVB departed (and before he joined the spuds!) "Parabens Chelsea!!!". I'm sure you can look up the meaning.

Quite true so where did you get the impression he had a preference to go to Liverpool.

AVB and London probably swung it and for the record i'm far from convinced about this signing.

No marquee signings want to come to your club so change the stance to "lets bring the youngsters through" wink.png

Quite true so where did you get the impression he had a preference to go to Liverpool.

AVB and London probably swung it and for the record i'm far from convinced about this signing.

From Tony Barrett (Times journo but a respected one!). He played with Lucas thru all the Brazil youth teams. I agree he knows AVB but the fact was that Anzhi offered LFC the chance to match Spurs offer and they refused.

To be fair, I think he is just what you need, but LFC less so, and not for the money quoted. Where you are concerned cash is not really an issue this year tho'.

In an earlier post you say

"A front 4 of Suarez, Coutinho, Aspas/Ibe/Sterling, Sturridge will do for me"

on a Spurs thread you talk about Spurs having

Sigurdsson

Holtby

Lennon

Chadli

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Capoue

Lamela?

Jeez!!! That's some midfield selection problem for you guys!

Bale is actually still at the cub so include him instead of Lamela.

So how do Liverpool need him less so ?

To be fair, I think he is just what you need, but LFC less so, and not for the money quoted. Where you are concerned cash is not really an issue this year tho'.

In an earlier post you say

"A front 4 of Suarez, Coutinho, Aspas/Ibe/Sterling, Sturridge will do for me"

on a Spurs thread you talk about Spurs having

Sigurdsson

Holtby

Lennon

Chadli

Sandro

Paulinho

Dembele

Capoue

Lamela?

Jeez!!! That's some midfield selection problem for you guys!

Bale is actually still at the cub so include him instead of Lamela.

So how do Liverpool need him less so ?

45.gif45.gif45.gif