U K Invites Thai Team To Testify As Victim In Gt200, Alpha 6 Bomb Detectors Scam

webfact

BOMB DETECTORS
Quality certificates used by firm were fake

PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI
THE NATION

30204746-01_big.jpg
A foreign firm used fake certificates of the British and Dutch defence ministries in persuading Thailand to buy its GT200 and Alpha 6 bomb detectors, which have finally turned out to be fakes.

UK invites Thai team to testify as victim in GT200, Alpha 6 scam

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has been invited to send its representatives to testify in a British court as being among the victims of Comstrac Co Ltd.

"Britain's Serious and Organised Crime Agency [sOCA] has already confirmed to us that the certificates guaranteeing the quality of the devices is forged," Pol Lt-Colonel Pong-in Intornkao said yesterday, in his capacity as director of the Department of Special Investigation's (DSI) Security Crime Bureau.

As many as 13 Thai state agencies bought the GT200 and Alpha 6 devices from Comstrac at a combined budget of well over Bt400 million. On Tuesday, James McCormick, the firm's 56-year-old owner was convicted in London of selling fake bomb detectors to Iraq and other countries. He has told the court he had also sold the detectors to the Egyptian army, Kenyan police, Hong Kong's prison service and Thai border control. The detectors were marketed to governments around the world through glossy brochures and the Internet.

Advertising material showed the devices being used to find explosives, drugs, ivory and people.

DSI has now been investigating Thai agencies' purchases of the GT200 and Alpha 6 devices in close collaboration with SOCA.

"We have already requested a list of witnesses from the British agency," Pong-in said yesterday, "We may also ask for the delivery of evidence in the future."

An informed source said the DSI investigation had suggested there was fraud, document forgery, bidding collusion and overpricing in the purchases of the GT200 and Alpha 6 devices by Thai authorities.

"We have looked into the financial transactions of where the money went. Most of the profits went to Comstrac in England. Its authorised distributors here have been paid commissions. The distributors are two Thai firms that have continued to supply many other devices to government agencies," Pongin said.

He said the DSI hoped all government agencies in Thailand would learn a lesson from the GT200/Alpha 6 hoaxes.

"Any procurement of expensive electronic and special devices should involve strict quality checks. Examination by the National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre and the Electrical and Electronic Product Testing Centre should be a prerequisite prior to procurement approval," Pong-in said.

He said the DSI's ongoing investigation had found that when the manufacturer of the GT200 and Alpha 6 devices was about to deliver its products, it prepared its own explosive-ordnance disposal team for the quality checks.

"This suggests the manufacturer had known from the very beginning that its devices were ineffective - but sold them with false claims," he said.

He said the DSI had already forwarded a case related to the GT200/Alpha 6 device purchases to the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NAAC).

An NAAC subcommittee, chaired by Vichai Vivitasevi, has already interrogated more than half the witnesses in the case.

"Within two months, we should know who should be charged," he said.

The NAAC subcommittee has no plan to seek evidence or documents from Britain. "The court verdict should suffice," Vichai said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-25

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSI continues probe of fake bomb detectors as British producer convicted
By English News

13668545592419.jpg

BANGKOK, April 25 – The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) continues investigating Thailand’s purchase of bogus bomb detectors from a British businessman who was recently convicted by a British court.

DSI Director General Tarit Pengdith said the British court will give its verdict on James McCormick who sold the fake GT200 and Alfa 6 bomb detectors to several countries including Thailand.

Thailand purchased 1,358 sets of the device at Bt1.137 billion.

Mr Tarit said questioning of 90 witnesses were underway and the purchase involved 13 government agencies.

The UK's BBC reported that McCormick was remanded on conditional bail to be sentenced on 2 May. The Guardian said he could face up to eight years in jail when he is sentenced next month.

The court heard that McCormick put the labels of his company, ATSC, on the fake bomb detectors which were sold for US$5,000 each, according to the BBC.

Chief of Security Case Unit Pong-in In-khao said the DSI is questioning witnesses to collect information on the purchase procedure and fraud activity.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission is jointly investigating the case, he said.

Thai army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the use of GT200 fake detectors in Thailand’s southern provinces has been suspended and replaced by US-made Fido XT explosives detectors. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-25

It is good to see the DSI investigating this, and I'd hope-against-hope that the NAAC would prosecute the guilty, and not just some low-level fall-guy either.

Who are the NAAC?

NACC rolleyes.gif National Anti-Corruption Commission whistling.gif

Edited by sjjmmi

So? How much was involved this time and who are the Thai people (experts) responsible for due diligence as to their actual ability to 'detect'? That at least should lead DSI to the money trail as to who got paid.

Exactly, I remember when the BBC first broke this story the army top brass would have nothing to do with it and swore blind the devices were working and saving lives in the south. Saving face over being conned is one thing but it's impossible to believe that's all there is to it

I too remember the press coverage in Thailand saying that the devices were proving useful in the Southern provinces.

Loss of face and questions about kickbacks should be followed.

• Like 2

I would think that the defense attorneys for Comstrac would be the ones inviting the Thai authorities to testify in the British courts that the GT200 and Alpha 6 bomb detectors do work and are not a scam - as the Thai authorities have already gone on record stating as much.

• Like 2

So? How much was involved this time and who are the Thai people (experts) responsible for due diligence as to their actual ability to 'detect'? That at least should lead DSI to the money trail as to who got paid.

Exactly, I remember when the BBC first broke this story the army top brass would have nothing to do with it and swore blind the devices were working and saving lives in the south. Saving face over being conned is one thing but it's impossible to believe that's all there is to it

I too remember the press coverage in Thailand saying that the devices were proving useful in the Southern provinces.

Loss of face and questions about kickbacks should be followed.

+1

The Nation says:

As many as 13 Thai state agencies bought the GT200 and Alpha 6 devices from Comstrac at a combined budget of well over Bt400 million.

MCOT says:

Thailand purchased 1,358 sets of the device at Bt1.137 billion.

...and the purchase involved 13 government agencies.

I'm guessing one figure counts the kickbacks that probably were pocketed by local authorities, while the other excludes those amounts.

40% for the devices themselves and 60% in tea money sounds like about the right split around these parts... tongue.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

It is good to see the DSI investigating this, and I'd hope-against-hope that the NAAC would prosecute the guilty, and not just some low-level fall-guy either.

Who are the NAAC?

Sorry, I meant NACC, I'd not yet had my second cup of coffee. wai2.gif

I think the whole thing is quite funny.

Any device that can find drugs, people, ivory and explosives from a distance must be suspect. One can only assume that no one actually cared if they work or not, as long as the cash was in their pocket. Either that, or the top brass are simpletons of the first order, who shouldn't be trusted with a floormop.

While that is true, you shouldn't forget that Boots The Chemist sell millions of pounds' worth of homeopathic 'remedies' every single day across Europe.

• Like 1

Some thought should be given to the many people who have lost their lives or been injured as a direct result of this utterly dishonest device and the evil people who have profited from it.

There are also many people currently in prison on drugs and explosives charges, convicted by false readings.

Their lives also have been destroyed.

Everybody involved, including her with the hair do and a certain PM who defended the device, should be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Won't happen though.

• Like 1

Bomb spiv used trick from fair
Sleight of hand sales con
By ALEX WEST Published: 7 hrs ago

CONMAN James McCormick used a fairground magic trick to convince customers his fake bomb detectors worked.

McCormick made £50million flogging thousands of the “useless” devices made from £13 novelty golf ball finders.

But cops last night revealed the fraudster, 56, used sleight of hand to make the gadget appear to point out explosives or drugs.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4901847/Bomb-detector-tycoon-conman-used-fairground-magic-trick-to-convince-customers.html#ixzz2RSJwK8nu

The Sun -- 2013-04-25

Who are the NAAC?

Sorry, I meant NACC, I'd not yet had my second cup of coffee. wai2.gif

National Arse Covering Commission perhaps?

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 2