Bangkok Administration Defends Purchase Of Trash Bins

webfact

I sense a profound dislike of garbage bins in a few posters here. Personally I like the idea, ochre colour for the outside bin with cute 'windows' to see the transparent inner bin and a transparent lid. I've got one outside along the road. Mostly full with lots of garbage bags around it :-)

To be sure my apartment block has one of those large bins and (most) glass/plastic bottles are separated. I'm afraid I might have started that three years ago when I moved to this place.

Troublemaker smile.png

• Like 1

70 million baht divide by 35,000 bins = 2,000 baht per garbage. 2,000 baht..........................................Is that for real. Huh, less 10% discount = 7 million baht. Can travel around the world or buy 2 mistresses. The bin will only cost at most 800 to 1000 baht.

I was initially so happy to hear the news, until i saw the bins...

They are the type you have to push open with your hand and stuff the garbage down into. The flap to push open is small and the opening itself is small, so it is nearly impossible to throw something away with touching the garbage bin, touching the spot where the garbage goes in. Very unsanitary and stupid. If they just followed 7-11 and made simple little bins that are open on the top in which you could just throw your trash in easily without touching the bin, it would have been so much better and cheaper. These bins are going to be a hassle to empty compared to the 7-11 ones.

Who would have thought, private business does a better, more efficient job of something than the govt...shocking...

post-63733-0-01215900-1366961497_thumb.j

• Like 1

Considering all the totally useless and worthless things the government spends its money on, including projects that never actually get completed, buying and deploying these bins certainly ranks somewhere up on the list of the at least halfway decent things they rarely do.

Don't forget it is NOT the government doing this it is the BMA.. so as others have said expect a press release from the DSI shortly.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I know you're referring to the NATIONAL government. But the BMA also is "the government" for Bangkok, at the provincial level.

When I referred to the worthless things "the government" spends money on, though, I suppose I actually was thinking of BOTH, since both the national government and the BMA has shown a penchant for spending a lot of money on CR*P. In that regard, they share a common trait. tongue.png

• Like 1

They are the type you have to push open with your hand and stuff the garbage down into. The flap to push open is small and the opening itself is small, so it is nearly impossible to throw something away with touching the garbage bin, touching the spot where the garbage goes in. Very unsanitary and stupid. If they just followed 7-11 and made simple little bins that are open on the top in which you could just throw your trash in easily without touching the bin, it would have been so much better and cheaper. These bins are going to be a hassle to empty compared to the 7-11 ones.

Who would have thought, private business does a better, more efficient job of something than the govt...shocking...

I'm just guessing, but perhaps they were intentionally styled/designed that way to discourage people from using them to discard LARGE garbage bags and other similarly oversized stuff -- instead of presumably their intended purpose of being a place to discard smaller street-levels stuff like bottles, cups, fast food bags, etc etc.

As for the sanitary issue, I understand that. I'd say the answer is to use whatever you're intending to throw away as the surface to push open the top lid and let your item drop inside. Doing that pretty much avoids getting your hand involved.

• Like 1

I'm just guessing, but perhaps they were intentionally styled/designed that way to discourage people from using them to discard LARGE garbage bags and other similarly oversized stuff -- instead of presumably their intended purpose of being a place to discard smaller street-levels stuff like bottles, cups, fast food bags, etc etc.

As for the sanitary issue, I understand that. I'd say the answer is to use whatever you're intending to throw away as the surface to push open the top lid and let your item drop inside. Doing that pretty much avoids getting your hand involved.

That would be great but they dont have a top lid, at least the ones ive seen around bkk, they have only a flap in the front, like the kind at Mcdonalds to dump the trash from your tray. A top lid that opens on the inside would be great. Dear god i just realized im discussing TRASH BINS ON THE INTERNET. What have i become!! lol

• Like 1

That would be great but they dont have a top lid, at least the ones ive seen around bkk, they have only a flap in the front, like the kind at Mcdonalds to dump the trash from your tray. A top lid that opens on the inside would be great. Dear god i just realized im discussing TRASH BINS ON THE INTERNET. What have i become!! lol

Your a Trashy........ the trash bin equivalent of a Trekkie:p

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Why on earth do they need holes in? Blown plastic will suffice. They will crumble in no time.

Looks like a very expensive clothes basket.

the bins suck, they are hard to push open and the lids fall off.

also they are so small that they are full almost as soon as they are emptied which is so often that they remain buried for days at a time.

also they seem to attract more shitfood sellers, deepfried 'prawn' crackers and weird sour sausagy type things in particular.

its like putting out doilies in a cesspit.

I had a good look at them today in the street. I see a few flaws with these .These will not last long being the light plastic they are. . The enclosures should be either stainless steel or a heavy aluminium with a side door rather than a dead lift like these bins are. Often bins will get filled with concrete, bricks etc so imagine a dead lift of 60 or 80 kgs. and then trying to get it into the compactor. The other consideration with ease of empting a bin is the time taken to get the bin out of the enclosure, take it over to the compactor, empty it, operate the compactor and return the bin to the enclosure and secure the lid. How much traffic will be held up in the process. Since everybody now seems to be driving a car in addition to the already congested roads then more frustration on the roads as the garbos try to empty the bins.

Somebody needs to rethink these bins .