Is Medical Care Free For Thai´s In Thailand?

DerekMarshall

Been discussing this with some Thai friends - Is medical care free for Thai people in Thailand? some claim that they have now to pay for hospital in their own

province due to a change in the law, is this true? I ask as I know that it has been free as recent as last year.

The subject of hospital costs in another province other than where their registered address I know they have to pay but in the province of their registered "home" address do they have to pay?

Thanks in advance.

in theory its free

in practice they get charged

Really? How much?

As far as I'm aware the erstwhile government of Yingluck had put in an optional 30b payment so they can call it the 30b health care scheme again (Thaksins brain wave)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Edited by thaicbr

Is Naval Hospital at Sattahip (Soon Sirikit) a "government" hospital.?

Toddler has overnighted there twice for observation (possible allergy reaction) and billed about Baht2000.

His home is near Jomtien

In any government hospital how do they manage emergencies, is there some residence test to admit.

Is Naval Hospital at Sattahip (Soon Sirikit) a "government" hospital.?Toddler has overnighted there twice for observation (possible allergy reaction) and billed about Baht2000.His home is near JomtienIn any government hospital how do they manage emergencies, is there some residence test to admit.

I'm pretty sure the Naval hospital is administered by.....the Navy.

I believe in the case of ER situations they treat you and then try to charge. If no money they will claim it back from your registered hospital. I have a student who is a doctor at a rural hospital so I'll check Monday.

In any government hospital how do they manage emergencies, is there some residence test to admit.

Not based on fact but I think government hospitals charge foreigners, it is a lot less than private hospitals. I do know Thai´s are charged for government hospitals outside of where they reside. Test? they check the address of National ID card for Thai nationals.

Which governnment hospitals serve Jomtien/Pattaya areas please.?

I see there is a small hospital next to the lake by the very big wat, (Yannasangwaram ? always full of busloads of tourists/worshippers). There is another small wat near there with umpteen steps. Anyone know it's name/status/capabilities please.

One of my kids had a fever & the squits and got dehydrated, needed a drip & antibiotic-jabs, was in a 30-bed ward at the local-hospital for 2-nights/1-day and the charge was about B2,000.

OK, he's a dual-national (but quite definitely a Thai-citizen, with ID-card & passport), and doesn't have the special registration-with-a-hospital card, but his is a Thai citizen and he was still charged !

in theory its free

in practice they get charged

Really? How much?

As far as I'm aware the erstwhile government of Yingluck had put in an optional 30b payment so they can call it the 30b health care scheme again (Thaksins brain wave)

The B30 card has been in force for years, if they have this card most medication is also free, if they have only the yellow medical card they pay for all medication.

Or thats how it was last year.

I presume Banglamung is the government hospital which serves Pattaya

Correct, but for more sophisticated treatment Thais are transferred to the Chon Buri Provincial Government Hospital that is also available to foreigners for a fee. One of my Thai family had to have emergency surgery on his stomach and was transferred from Bunglamung to Chon Buri by ambulance; total cost was 26,000 baht for five day stay in a public ward and treatment.

Edited by simple1

I presume Banglamung is the government hospital which serves Pattaya

Correct, but for more sophisticated treatment Thais are transferred to the Chon Buri Provincial Government Hospital that is also available to foreigners for a fee. One of my Thai family had to have emergency surgery on his stomach and was transferred from Bunglamung to Chon Buri by ambulance; total cost was 26,000 baht for five day stay in a public ward and treatment.

My lady was charged 25, 000 baht for a 5 day stay including intensive care for dengue. Her family had to club together to pay it.

This last week my MIL while on the way to visit her son in Rayong was taken ill, she has spent one week in the naval hospital in Sirikit.

While there she has had an operation, this and after spending two nights in a general ward,everything completely free, following the operation she was then moved into a private room,at the requested of the family, again all medical care free,the only extra being the actual additional cost for that private room.All these medical cost were covered by her 30bht medical card, she is registered in a area approx 700kl from the hospital.

Edited by nontabury