Please Settle An Argument.

Ok, several years back I had my mum get a multiple entry O-visa, on the basis that I'm married to a Thai and she would come and stay with us. Unfortunately, at that time, I didn't realise that she had to leave every 90 days, so she got caught with an overstay at the airport when she left Thailand after 6 months. My wife reckons she just had to go to immigration after 90 days to get extended for one year. However I was under the impression that for this kind of visa she would have to leave every 90 days, or apply for a retirement visa. Can someone clear this up please?

Culicine, you are right on both counts. The multiple-entry non-O visa allowed your mother to enter Thailand an unlimited number of times for one year from the issue date of visa. On each entry she would have received permission to stay for 90 days with the requirement to leave Thailand before the expiration of this permission or alternatively apply for a one-year extension of stay if qualified for it, eg based on her age.

An extension of stay based upon retirement would be the only option other than working, going to school and etc.

Unfortunately the police order (clause 2.20) does not allow for extensions as a dependent for those on an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai (clause 2.18).

Edited by ubonjoe

A bit of a side question that I'm sure has been answered here 1,000 times, though I can't seem to track down a clear answer, but what is the fee for her not checking in?

For example: Non-O lasts until December, 2013, but you haven't checked in or left the country in 120 days (30 days over). What's the fee?

I do not think they grant multiple O visas abroad. Its been my impression forever, they will want to push you into OA if you want a year, that is why it exists; especially in light of all the visa dodgers in the last decade.

I think she could easily though get a double although would be cheaper 3x TRs. Double O would also give you a max of seven mos with extension assumong visa good for six mos.

Thai immigration will make it hard for her to stay, there wont be a one year O and there wont be a bunch of extensions no matter what visa shes on imo. As a grandmother, surely they'd give her 30 even 90 days (?) one one visa. After that, if shes become a fixture at your local cop shop they are going to treat her the same as anyone else. Meaning, no longer granny come for a visit, now just another oldie living large in on the Mekong.

I know a person can get a visa to visit their relatives sure. For farang, the wife and kids. Granny, doubtful. They will just give her a plain old O based on being +50 and wishing to spend ++ time in Thailand, non holiday related.

My 2baht

A bit of a side question that I'm sure has been answered here 1,000 times, though I can't seem to track down a clear answer, but what is the fee for her not checking in?

For example: Non-O lasts until December, 2013, but you haven't checked in or left the country in 120 days (30 days over). What's the fee?

If you have a 90 day entry and have stayed 120 days you are here illegally and the fine is 500 baht per day so currently 15,000 baht. The max fine is 20,000 baht and jail time.

If you actually have an extension of stay valid until December but have not made address reports the normal fine is 2,000 baht or 4,000 baht if arrested. Max fine is 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day.

• Like 1

If you have a 90 day entry and have stayed 120 days you are here illegally and the fine is 500 baht per day so currently 15,000 baht. The max fine is 20,000 baht and jail time.

If you actually have an extension of stay valid until December but have not made address reports the normal fine is 2,000 baht or 4,000 baht if arrested. Max fine is 5,000 baht plus 200 baht per day.

Thanks for that. What's still unclear for me is what an extension of stay is. I have a one year, multiple entry Non-O, which expires at the end of this year. 4 months ago I flew across the border, stayed a few days, and came back. Now I'm 1 month over that stamp.

Visa says I'm good til the end of the year, but the 90 day stamp says I'm a bad, bad person. Am I on the 500 baht a day thing, or 5k max thing?

Thanks for that. What's still unclear for me is what an extension of stay is. I have a one year, multiple entry Non-O, which expires at the end of this year. 4 months ago I flew across the border, stayed a few days, and came back. Now I'm 1 month over that stamp.

Visa says I'm good til the end of the year, but the 90 day stamp says I'm a bad, bad person. Am I on the 500 baht a day thing, or 5k max thing?

You are currently on overstay and will have to pay 500 baht per day, max 20.000 baht.

Arrested and deported if you get caught.

Your visa is only concerned with entry - it is the entry stamp or extension of that from immigration that allows your stay here. So yes you are a bad person and need to pay fine on exit to make all right again and enter for a new 90 day stay with all forgiven.

An extension of stay based upon retirement would be the only option other than working, going to school and etc.

Unfortunately the police order (clause 2.20) does not allow for extensions as a dependent for those on an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai (clause 2.18).

The OP mentions a wife of unspecified nationality but not on what extension of stay, if any, he is. He could be on an employment extension under clause 2.1 of Police Order 777/2551 and, depending on her age, his mother would qualify for a dependent extension under clause 2.20 without need of financial proof.

...applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children...

(5) In the case of parents a parent, the father or mother that parent must be 50 years of age or over.

1. Hows is your mother here? What visa? She is not entitled to a visa based on you being married to a Thai.

2. A visa is permission to enter the country for no more than 90 days, an Extension is permission to stay in country for up to 1 year with 90 day reports of address.

What am I missing?

wai.gif A multi entry Non O visa is normally good for one year from date of issue.

During that one year you can enter Thailand as many times as you want.

Each entry gets you a 90 day "permitted to stay" stamp.

A multi entry Non O visa has a expiration date normally one year after it is issued.

If you are careful you can do an exit re-entry one day before your visa expires.

That will get you that 90 day permitted to stay stamp. Even though your visa expires the next day, that permitted to stay stamp keeps you in Thailand legally until it expires.

So, in effect, your 1 year visa can be stretched to 15 months.

Then it ends.

Before it ends, usually about 30 days before it ends, you can EXTEND it for the following reasons if you qualify,

1, Retirement.

2, Marriage to a Thai. Or possibility living with dependents in Thailand.

3. Employment in Thailand

4. "Education" .... taking a course in Thailand, including learning Thai.

Each has it's own requirements, so you need to check on them.

I came here in 2010 on a multi entry visa and have extended it based on retirement for 3 years now.

My next extension is due in October 2013.

So it is possible.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

wai.gif A multi entry Non O visa is normally good for one year from date of issue.

A multi entry Non O visa has a expiration date normally one year after it is issued.

If you are careful you can do an exit re-entry one day before your visa expires.

That will get you that 90 day permitted to stay stamp. Even though your visa expires the next day, that permitted to stay stamp keeps you in Thailand legally until it expires.

Then it ends.

Before it ends, usually about 30 days before it ends, you can EXTEND it for the following reasons if you qualify,

1, Retirement.

I came here in 2010 on a multi entry visa and have extended it based on retirement for 3 years now.

So it is possible.

rolleyes.gif

I have a non-immigrant OA visa, one year multi-entries. Is that different from a Non O visa?

Because my visa is good for 2 years, in a sense that if I leave thailand, and re-enter one day before my one year visa expiration, I get another one year permission to stay, so 2 years alotgether.

Then it ends.

1, Retirement.

So it is possible.

rolleyes.gif

So when you get your multi entry Non O visa which expires after 12 months how do you actually extend it if you have grounds that is - can it be extended from within Thailand? I am just in the process of applying for my ME Non O visa (pensioner visiting Thailand) through the Consulate at Hull and although theirs is a very informative web site it does not say how or from where you extend.

You only need a single entry non immigrant O visa for extension of stay for retirement (and actually can obtain inside Thailand if you want). You extend using TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry. The requirement is proof of financials 800k in Thai bank account 2 months or 65k per month income letter from Embassy or combination to meet 800k per year. Very simple and done at local immigration for the province you live.

Then it ends.

1, Retirement.

So it is possible.

rolleyes.gif

I have a non-immigrant OA visa, one year multi-entries. Is that different from a Non O visa?

Because my visa is good for 2 years, in a sense that if I leave thailand, and re-enter one day before my one year visa expiration, I get another one year permission to stay, so 2 years alotgether.

Completely different visa - one year stay on each entry rather than 90 days. Requires financials/medical/police report to obtain.

Weird. I just checked my passport, and they stamped me in on January 1st, with the admitted until date being March 1st. That's only two months. I assume that's a mistake(?).

You best leave by that date since you did not have it fixed immediately.

Funny how it works...if they make a mistake, stamping you to leave too early, you must go.or you are overstay.

If they make a mistake and stamp you +1-2 days (62,92) after the date you should go (based on entry date). You pay.

Lesson - Thai Immigration doesn't make mistakes.

You only need a single entry non immigrant O visa for extension of stay for retirement (and actually can obtain inside Thailand if you want). You extend using TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry. The requirement is proof of financials 800k in Thai bank account 2 months or 65k per month income letter from Embassy or combination to meet 800k per year. Very simple and done at local immigration for the province you live.

I think that was a reply to my post. If so I don't want to hi jack this thread so I'll trawl through the forum to see if I can get further clarification and if not I'll post as a new topic as I am still confused. Single entry/multiple entry??? My category is visiting pensioner wanting to stay at least 12 months and according to Hull all I need show is is 65 or over and proof of receipt of state/private pension(s). Not the retirement visa where as you rightly say you have to be 50+ and proof of money in bank account and/or a certain level of retirement income.

I have a multiple entry OA visa and entered twice and was given one year. On a third entry I was given only ninety days. I think this was mistake on the part of the entry clerk but didn't notice it until much later and didn't have it corrected. I'm leaving again within the 90 days so I dont think I have problem but can anyone clarify? One lesson is to check the date stamp at the point of entry right away and if there's a problem get it corrected right then and there.

Thanks for all the replies here. Lopburi, if My mother uses combined pension + money in the bank, is the seeding for 2 months still necessary? If seeding is necessary, it makes it a bit of a rush setting up the bank account. hence my other thread about setting up her account while she is on holiday here this time.

With the combined option seasoning I not necessary. (But a very few immigration offices disagree with that rule and do require seasoning).

Thanks, any comments on Nonthaburi immigration from that perspective? That's the one we will be using.