Bangkok Cop Caught On Video Being Chased Is Identified

webfact

Cop caught on video being chased is identified
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A junior policeman at Din Daeng station in Bangkok faces an inquiry after he was identified as the man on the run in the "Criminal policeman" clip that has gone viral on social media networks.

The 1.2-minute clip, which was posted on the Facebook page "Chumchon Chok Dee", features a man dressed in a police uniform running from two men, one of whom captures the man on camera fleeing from an apartment in Soi Prachasongkhrao 25, in Din Daeng district.

The man who took the clip shouts, "Why did you take my sister to a hotel?" and then tells another man to keep chasing the man in uniform, adding that he should not be afraid, because the man is a criminal. During the chase, they yell loudly at people in the soi to help them, saying, "He's a criminal, help us catch him."

They chased the uniformed man into next alley at Soi 23, but stopped when two policemen appear on a motorcycle and try to intervene. The fleeing policeman tells the two officers to help him get out of the area, and the three quickly leave the soi on the motorcycle.

Deputy Bangkok police chief Pol Maj-General Manit Wongsomboon said yesterday that the man in question is Pol Snr Sgt-Major Worawit Nukulkij, a crime suppression officer at Din Daeng police station. But Worawit had allegedly been on leave to take a promotion exam in Songkhla and could not be reached via mobile phone, Manit said.

Manit said a fact-finding panel was set up to launch a probe into the incident, and that Worawit would be punished if he were found to have committed wrongdoing.

Din Daeng police chief Pol Colonel Panop Worathanatchakul said he saw the clip and was informed that the incident took place on Friday and the man seen escaping in the clip was his subordinate, who had taken leave till April 30.

The other two police had also taken leave, but he believed they had nothing to do with the incident.

Panop said the two officers assisted him to avoid any trouble between local residents and police.

The two police also told those pursuing Worawit to report the incident to Din Daeng police, but nobody turned up.

Panop added that Worawit did not tell anyone about what happened and had since switched off his mobile phone.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-29

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Snr Sgt Major isn't exactly junior and he was on leave for a promotion exam which would have seen him become a Sub Lieutenant ! Just where does the BIB find these people and I wonder what the vetting process, if any, is like. Part of the problem is that everybody has the black on everyone else so anything goes and is duly overlooked or down played. Even Saatchi and Saatchi couldn't improve the image of the RTP.

A lot of women are someone's sister and it is not an offence to take someones sister for a bit of slap and tickle. How old was the sister, was she of age?

The thing is was he on duty?

Also how can a Pol Snr Sgt-Major be a junior policeman.

Just seen the previous post which came as I was typing. May answer my question.

Edited by kimamey

A lot of women are someone's sister and it is not an offence to take someones sister for a bit of slap and tickle. How old was the sister, was she of age?

Even if he was on duty, that would be an internal disciplinary issue and wouldn't make him a criminal or authorise the other thai guys to make a citizens arrest or beat the crap out of him.

It wasn't slap and tickle, it was extortion. He made her do a piss test and told her she had to pay money, she said she had none so he made her go back to get some, she went to the toilet and messaged a friend to help her, he is the one who chased the cop.

oh fair enough so it was just business as usual thensmile.png

• Like 1

It wasn't slap and tickle, it was extortion. He made her do a piss test and told her she had to pay money, she said she had none so he made her go back to get some, she went to the toilet and messaged a friend to help her, he is the one who chased the cop.

oh fair enough so it was just business as usual thensmile.png

Business as usual, but he still ran away? Is that how cops uphold the law?

• Like 1

oh fair enough so it was just business as usual then

So they just needed some money while they were on vacation...

No need to bring ATM card, just bring their uniforms and extort the locals...

Although wonder if the local BiB will be ok with this...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

oh fair enough so it was just business as usual then

So they just needed some money while they were on vacation...

No need to bring ATM card, just bring their uniforms and extort the locals...

Although wonder if the local BiB will be ok with this...

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Actually that wasn't my quote, it belongs to TexasRanger, on 29 Apr 2013 - 11:21, said:

Even if he was on duty, that would be an internal disciplinary issue and wouldn't make him a criminal or authorise the other thai guys to make a citizens arrest or beat the crap out of him.

Isn't attempted extortion not a criminal offence ?

• Like 1

Isn't attempted extortion not a criminal offence ?

Yes it is but when I read the topic it did not mention extortion but simply he took someones sister to a hotel, just as a lot of people do.

... chasing the man in uniform..... but stopped when two policemen appear on a motorcycle and try to intervene. The fleeing policeman tells the two officers to help him get out of the area, and the three quickly leave the soi on the motorcycle...Deputy Bangkok police chief Pol Maj-General Manit Wongsomboon said yesterday that the man in question is Pol Snr Sgt-Major Worawit Nukulkij, a crime suppression officer at Din Daeng police station. But Worawit had allegedly been on leave to take a promotion exam in Songkhla and could not be reached via mobile phone, Manit said.....Din Daeng police chief Pol Colonel Panop Worathanatchakul said he saw the clip and was informed that the incident took place on Friday and the man seen escaping in the clip was his subordinate, who had taken leave till April 30....The other two police had also taken leave, but he believed they had nothing to do with the incident....Panop added that Worawit did not tell anyone about what happened and had since switched off his mobile phone.

This is going to be a tough case for the BiB to crack...just not enough circumstantial, on video, or eye witness evidence....plus, everybody is now on leave with their phones turned off....yeap, Sherlock Holmes or Interpol couldn't crack this case. crazy.gif

• Like 2

In uniform....on duty in my mind.

I agree it does't give anyone the right to beat him up but trying to fit someone up for a drugs offence and then extort in order to drop the charge is well outside the scope of any disciplinary offence, well maybe not in the RTP

I agree it does't give anyone the right to beat him up but trying to fit someone up for a drugs offence and then extort in order to drop the charge is well outside the scope of any disciplinary offence, well maybe not in the RTP

It would have been helpful if the story included these details, it only states that he took a woman to a hotel.

It would have been helpful if the story included these details, it only states that he took a woman to a hotel.

No, those details were from the news story on TV either yesterday or the day before.