Two Dead In Phuket-Bangkok Bus Crash

webfact

Do car makers not have any safety features / reinforcements in cars and no crumple zones?

Many of the buses here are 'homemade'. They are NOT manufactured to any sort of engineering or safety standard.

These is a very interesting documentary (British, I think) that was made fairly recently on this. Sorry, I don't have a link.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode up on my bike from Phuket to Ranong last week.

I had at least 6 close calls from morons pulling into my lane and flashing their headlights to claim right of way.

No doubt the moron driving the white toyota did exactly the same thing.

And no doubt the bus was travelling at warp speed as they do on that stretch of road.

Sigh..........

Right of way has a funny, and dangerous, application here and there's an element of face depending on the vehicles involved.

Recently i was walking up my soi towards the main road, it's not the widest and there are no pavements so I walked left foot on a grass verge and right on the road. I heard a car horn from behind but ignored it, it was repeated in a continuous fashion and when I turned around there was a Thai driver waving at me to get out of his way, I ignored him so he was forced to pull out ever so slightly to pass and there was no on coming traffic. As he passed, I can only say if looks could kill. I still don't know if he was having a laugh, could only drive in a straight line or decided a foreigner had no right being ahead of him on a Thai road. No matter what very childish but stopped laughing when my GF pointed out if he was really worked up I was lucky he didn't hit me as it would have been my fault anyway

Oh yes, almost Dead Man Walking and I'm not trying to be funny.

Seems to me the article said it was the car driver making the wrong choices and getting the bus caught up in it all; hence this is about poor driving skills and poor decisions and not at all about buses. It could have been anything. Her number was up and she was going to hit something, whether it be a bus or a tree or what have you. This woman driver more than likely took one too many chances prior. I'll wager this wasn't the first one that she tried, but it certainly is her last one, eh? I simply cannot muster the decency anymore to say RIP when I read about idiots like this. She was no different than a person with a loaded gun, and she is now guilty of killing more people than most gun owners ever do.

I wonder if she learned to drive just driving around to get the hang of it. i say this because I was once given a lift home by a colleague who asked me to excuse her driving as she was only learning which turned out to mean her dad had shown her basics then let her use his car unsupervised so she could practise.

Pet hate is high beamers - come up behind you & burn your retinas out. Have been known to get out at traffic lights & ask driver behind to put lights down - often as not it is a young f profusely apologising 'mai me, mai me' - as in 'my car (recent Jap) doesn't have' (low beam). ;-(

Amazed by the number of LPG tanker accidents in BKK - abt 1 a year - if these blow, second only to Nagasaki. Would solve the problem of Bangkok & sea level rise! No Bangkok!

Number for land transport department / taxi hotline is 1584 - they may help if you find yourself in a yaba driven bus minibus, but no English spoke -

what do you expect ? we have seen those accidents every day for the last 30 years (well for some of us at least) nothing ever changed , nothing will , its a reality. You can have double amount of deads on roads NO government will ever do anything about it, or they would have done something a long time ago . The only thing we can say is RIP to all victims.

All you can do is drive defensively, slowly, and applying what you learned with better driver's education abroad than what they locals are provided.

I find it terrifying how cars, trucks, vans, and buses here just crumple into nothing like a coke can when they have an accident. Witnessed a lot of nasty accidents in my home country and never seen so many vehicles crumple so easily. Do car makers not have any safety features / reinforcements in cars and no crumple zones? I even see these crumpled messes on new cars from name brand makers. The bus makers just make them without a plan and no safety at all, this much I know, but cars and trucks should not rip apart like they do.

Shows you how terribly fast they are travelling upon impact.
With NO crumple zones ALL of the occupants of that car would be dead and the full force of the impact is absorbed by their bodies. Edited by culicine

I find it terrifying how cars, trucks, vans, and buses here just crumple into nothing like a coke can when they have an accident. Witnessed a lot of nasty accidents in my home country and never seen so many vehicles crumple so easily. Do car makers not have any safety features / reinforcements in cars and no crumple zones? I even see these crumpled messes on new cars from name brand makers. The bus makers just make them without a plan and no safety at all, this much I know, but cars and trucks should not rip apart like they do.

With NO crumple zones ALL of the occupants of that car would be dead and the full force of the impact is absorbed by their bodies.

Wish HUM V's were more affordable, that's about what you need in your own defense to stand a chance.

Cars tend to look worse in crashes now than they used to because they absorb more of the impact outside of the passenger compartment. This is what "crumple zones" do but if you are not wearing a safety belt you still are going to be screwed.

So another needless bus crash, but then are we really surprised, this seems to be a weekly event if not more frequent and no party has or it seems will address this so easily rectified problem that appears to have it's root cause in greed and corruption and none or very little driver training or skills.

Bring in a proper driving test. especially for HGVs and PSVs ensure a regular check on all vehicles including a yearly MOT.

Oh bugger, why am I saying what we all know should be done but never will.

Last Thursday I was visiting a friend in Mae Sot who is dying of cancer and on the road from Tak there was a bus completely smashed up at the side of the road with personal belongings strewn all over the place, obviously happened within a few days with one small police sign stating there was an accident about 200 yards ahead but I have not seen any reports of it anywhere unless I missed them. I also counted 6 broken down lorries on that mountain road and have frequently seen lorries/buses taking the escape route and a couple of weeks earlier a lorry went over the side of the road taking large power cables and poles with it.

Anyone knowing this mountainous road would appreciate just how dangerous it can be driving or as in my case riding it.

Yeah I know that road and the dangers thereof. I had everything: from trucks breathing down my neck to crazy drivers overtaking in blind curves.... and have also seen how those hairpin curves make it easy to slip out if you drive too fast.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's all been said,never let it be said it hasn't, driver training, road rules,learning subjects, right from kindergarten age up, just shows there is along way to go and we ain't gonna get there for at least another coffee1.gif three generations if we start today.

Road rules are in place, but effective policing is not. And will
never be until they get a decent wage. One the wages are in place, with
retraining courses, and a draconian penal system to make arrests worthwhile.
things could turn around. A very severe punishment regime for traffic offences, and a Chinese style bullet in the back of the neck for corrupt officials, including crooked cops, would improve the safety enormously.
The funding for all of this could be kick started if Thaksin were made to empty his piggy bank, and return his ill gotten gains.

A tall order? Yep. That is why I take trains where ever possible.

It's just a bad situation we have to live with, and keep out of danger as much as possible.

I did my 90 day visa run to Ranong from Surat Thani last thursday, the amount of visa run buses flying past me was incredible. The road in to Ranong has lots of blind curves/hills but the usual idiots were still overtaking on double lines/blind curves/hills, they are just simply impatient and believe it is their tight to pass where ever they like and everyone has to stop for them. I had 3 near accidents, one was some idiot that pulled out onto the road in front of me(only a 100 metres or so from me) from the opposite side curb (I was doing 80 k) then stopped so he could talk to the person on the side of the road, he was on a blind corner, I had to stand on the brakes and nearly ran up his bum and he still kept talking, ignorant. Another was a new twin cab that pulled out over double lines coming towards me to pass a slower car, trouble was it was where the road was very narrow, he flashed his lights and expected me to drive into the bush, I just stopped as far over as I could get, luckily the driver swerved back in and missed me. The same thing happened closer to Surat Thani when I was going over a bridge and a car coming from the opposite direction pulled over to my side to over take and just flashed their lights at me, by that stage I was pretty pissed at all the idiots so I stayed where I was and made them pull back in, these drivers are asking to die so I have no regard for them at all, until they acvtually make people PASS a drivers test and learn the rules we will continue to see multiple deaths here, they are ignorant ***### once they get behind a wheel.

Yep .. like my first ex gf, flying along at 150kmp. I asked her if she knew how to handle an emergency, such as a blow out? .. even at 60 kmp? "My car good" She said. (deep sigh ... Yeah, stupid, ignorant ***###.) But I have written about here before.

Do car makers not have any safety features / reinforcements in cars and no crumple zones?

Many of the buses here are 'homemade'. They are NOT manufactured to any sort of engineering or safety standard.

These is a very interesting documentary (British, I think) that was made fairly recently on this. Sorry, I don't have a link.

I'm sure I saw something on here just recently about buses being built higher than the regulations allow. Must be difficult for the police to find those I would imagine. Yes that is sarcasm.

Well i have to agree with this regarding busses which are just "tacked" together any old how with no safety considerations. However i am not so sure about cars. During Song Kran whilst sitting at traffic lights behind another car, in my 5 mth old Toyota Vios a large 4x4 truck ploughed into the back of me forcing me into the car in front, All my boot area was crushed but the rear windscreen remained intact, the front was badly damaged, but it did not cave into the engine and i was able to drive it. Actually i thought this proves an old mates saying "Its Toyota tough". Although they are made of lighter metal than in bygone days, i am sure that they are now more crash proof. The damage to my Vios is costing Bht140.000 and the Thai driver who hit me just drove off ! Police are not interested because i have insurance ?

Edited by oldsailor35

RIP again

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

...and again...

Seems to me the article said it was the car driver making the wrong choices and getting the bus caught up in it all; hence this is about poor driving skills and poor decisions and not at all about buses. It could have been anything. Her number was up and she was going to hit something, whether it be a bus or a tree or what have you. This woman driver more than likely took one too many chances prior. I'll wager this wasn't the first one that she tried, but it certainly is her last one, eh? I simply cannot muster the decency anymore to say RIP when I read about idiots like this. She was no different than a person with a loaded gun, and she is now guilty of killing more people than most gun owners ever do.

I wonder if she learned to drive just driving around to get the hang of it. i say this because I was once given a lift home by a colleague who asked me to excuse her driving as she was only learning which turned out to mean her dad had shown her basics then let her use his car unsupervised so she could practise.

I think that this is the 4th bus crash in 3 weeks.

So another needless bus crash, but then are we really surprised, this seems to be a weekly event if not more frequent and no party has or it seems will address this so easily rectified problem that appears to have it's root cause in greed and corruption and none or very little driver training or skills.

Bring in a proper driving test. especially for HGVs and PSVs ensure a regular check on all vehicles including a yearly MOT.

Oh bugger, why am I saying what we all know should be done but never will.

Last Thursday I was visiting a friend in Mae Sot who is dying of cancer and on the road from Tak there was a bus completely smashed up at the side of the road with personal belongings strewn all over the place, obviously happened within a few days with one small police sign stating there was an accident about 200 yards ahead but I have not seen any reports of it anywhere unless I missed them. I also counted 6 broken down lorries on that mountain road and have frequently seen lorries/buses taking the escape route and a couple of weeks earlier a lorry went over the side of the road taking large power cables and poles with it.

Anyone knowing this mountainous road would appreciate just how dangerous it can be driving or as in my case riding it.

So make that 5 bush crashes in 3 weeks !

there is a responsibility on the passengers too. i have sat on many buses going far too fast and the passengers sit there like lemmings as if they have no power to do anything. when actually all the passengers can go to the driver and demand he stop, and take the keys if necessary.

i was on a visa run where the van driver was dicing with death every ten minutes. everyone else in the van was terrified but said nothing. i asked if the driver could stop as I felt sick. i went round to the driver's side, opened the door, confiscated the keys and rang the visa run company. there was an international incident on the side of the road for ten minutes but the visa run company spoke to their employee and although he was furious he drove at a steady 100 kms an hour taking no risks until i got out. apparently he then sped up and everyone sat terrified in the bus for another half hour. people have to take a stand. it's uncomfortable and maybe upsets people but these crashes are too frequent. you can't do much about another car coming head on agreed - but if the bus was going slower it would have more room for manoevre.

IN your dreams, no Thai bus, taxi or truck drive will lift his foot off the pedal, they just do not know how !

there is a responsibility on the passengers too. i have sat on many buses going far too fast and the passengers sit there like lemmings as if they have no power to do anything. when actually all the passengers can go to the driver and demand he stop, and take the keys if necessary.

i was on a visa run where the van driver was dicing with death every ten minutes. everyone else in the van was terrified but said nothing. i asked if the driver could stop as I felt sick. i went round to the driver's side, opened the door, confiscated the keys and rang the visa run company. there was an international incident on the side of the road for ten minutes but the visa run company spoke to their employee and although he was furious he drove at a steady 100 kms an hour taking no risks until i got out. apparently he then sped up and everyone sat terrified in the bus for another half hour. people have to take a stand. it's uncomfortable and maybe upsets people but these crashes are too frequent. you can't do much about another car coming head on agreed - but if the bus was going slower it would have more room for manoevre.

I agree to an extent, I would not take the keys away but I would tell the driver to slow down (and have in the past). Calling the company and complaining can be effective some times and other times it falls on deaf ears. People do need to speak up more on these issues but sadly not many do. I simply dont ride in vans anymore, i dont see myself getting on a bus anytime soon either. trains and planes are safer, and safety is worth a few extra baht.

I agree and will never get into a bus again, next week i am doing a visa run to Malaysia..................By train.

About 25 years ago my then company and I made a pilot TV video on road safety and named it "The Adventures of Billy Buffalo". Billy was a normal person until he sat in a car or on a motorcycle when he was depicted driving like a buffalo (including the head gear), the voice over told Billy to stop acting like a buffalo and show people how a driving maneuver should be carried out (without head gear). The slogan was "Save lives, don't drive like a buffalo! The pilot was turned down by every TV station on the grounds that it would offend people so, reading from that it must be okay to kill as long as you don't offend!

• Like 1

My first post. I was trying to imagine what will happen when Thailand will drive on the right, from the first of Jan, with the driver being kerbside??????? ;(

They pretty much already do drive on the wrong side....in the span of ten minutes in BKK, I swerve around a dozen motorcycles driving head-on zig zagging in and out on the wrong side of the road.

I've made the same kind of protest but never gone so far as to grab the keys. All credit to you, but the loss of face for the driver could have had extremely bad consequences for your health & safety !

The root of all this "lack of awareness" with Thai motor bike riders and car drivers is the lack of education / lack of stringent rules when passing the driving test.

But realistically, if they were taught the rights and wrongs of road safety, would this make any difference ?? I think not.

This is Thailand !!

Part of the problem with bus deaths is that passengers don't use seat belts when provided. ...

I always look for seatbelts on big buses. I only recall seeing them once. In my experience, most minibuses don't have them.