Train Service From Bangkok To Sisaket

SamSipEt

I'll be popping up to Sisaket to visit some friends for a few days and thought about catching the 10:05 train from Bangkok which is scheduled to arrive in Sisaket at 18:40 however, my past experience with the SRT suggests that the actual arrival time will be somewhat later than advertised.

Can anyone please give me an estimate of the real arrival time based on their own experience (my friends never use the train so they have no idea) ?

If the train regularly arrives a couple of hours late then I might as well spend the night in town and meet my friends the following day in which case are there any recommendations for accommodation close to the train station and/or one of the local bars (Livin' in the Past and the Cuckoo's nest seems to be the favourite bars) ?

Thanks.

PM TV member Bergen. He trains it on that line between BKK and Ubon regularly, although I think he tends to favour the night services. From what hes said I believe its generally reliable unless there is flooding on the heoght of the rainy season

He may also remember the name of the hotel very close to the train station and Cuckoos Nest in Meuang Sisaket. Has a pick-up disco attached but the hotel itself, though guest friendly, is not a sleazy knocking shop. Medium range, economical and fine for a one night stay by a single bloke. Have not stayed there myself but friends rate it for convenience and value (about 600-700 baht I think). Just cant remember its name.

There is the rapid train that leaves bangkok at 5-45am and arrives in sisaket at about 1-30pm. the other better alternative would be the overnight sleeper. the hotel close to the railway station is called the "Pompiman" it is a 5 minute walk from the station. I have stayed there for a few years now, but the last time i did, they used to cut off the electricity to the rooms between 10am 4pm to save money. there is a much better hotel in town called the "kisaree". as for food if you prefer english food then there is a place called the "Pop In" which my friend tells me is very good. and frank is very welcoming at " livin in the past" as for the cuckoos nest up to you.

The train is ok, though not 100% reliable. I usually take the night train or the express. The later leaves Bkk 05.55 and arrives in Ubon around 14 something. It will be in Sisaket about 1 hour earlier. The night train will arrive in Sisaket around 06.30 in the morning.

The Pompiman is Ok for 600 baht! Have massage, snooker, and a couple of drinking venues attached. The Cuckoo's Nest is a few 100 meters away. smile.png

I'd take the late afternoon train and travel at night. Train leaves around 5 pm, takes around 10- 11 hours to get to Sisaket.Mostly 1-2 hours late.

There's a new foreign restaurant in town. Delicious and affordable Thai and foreign food. Name of the place is " Pop in". Richard and his wife make delicious pizza, hambugers, etc...

Easiest way to get there is from Wan Luk Sua Road, turn left after Anuban Sisaket, (into the road between Anuban and Sisaket Wittayalai), drive down until the end, make a right turn. You'll see the restaurant on the left hand side after about 400 meters.

A nice placw with a little pool is the treehouse, a little bit outside of town, but with a pool. Double 600 baht, single 400, including breakfast and free WIFI. You can get there from Kantharalak rd. make a right turn at the junction. Treehouse is after 300 meters on the left.

Have a nice trip!

• Like 1