Mandatory Health Ins.-The Latest?

swissie

A while ago, some members of parliament were pushing the idea, that long-term Farang-residents as well as Farang-tourists must have mandatory health-insurance to cover their stay in Thailand.

What has become of this, whats the latest on that one?

AND: If this should ever come to pass, what about enabeling the Farang to join the 30 Bht/month national health-care-programm?

Cheers.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All well and good,wanting health insurance.

Many people can not acquire such policies, due to pre existing conditions.

Agreed - but there are many other aspects of insurance that are worthwhile when travelling, particularly (and probably just as importantly), accident cover etc.

1. It should be mandatory.

2. Under no circumstances should they extend the 30 baht scheme to farangs.

It's a scheme for the Thai working class and poor, not a scheme to assist farangs in lifestyle decisions.

I think it's ridiculous.......RIDICULOUS!......that anyone in all conscience would try to use up the few precious resources available to the Thai poor.

Just in case your confused, I think it's ridiculous.

Just so you know. coffee1.gif

I suppose I better go put my flame proof suit on now. Oh well.

Blether - not a lot of room for confusion there, and no flames from me. I agree with you 100%.

• Like 2

It's a scheme for the Thai working class and poor, not a scheme to assist farangs in lifestyle decisions.

I think it's ridiculous.......RIDICULOUS!......that anyone in all conscience would try to use up the few precious resources available to the Thai poor.

I suppose I better go put my flame proof suit on now. Oh well.

Blether - not a lot of room for confusion there, and no flames from me. I agree with you 100%.

I'll still get flamed though, I just know it. laugh.png

• Like 1

So what do you think foreigners with Thai wife and children should do?

Those who are too old to get any insurance?

Those who are too poor to afford insurance?

Are you suggesting they should desert their wife and family and move back to their home country?

What would you suggest they do?

In most civilised countries married foreigners already living in that country are allowed citizenship.

............please don't be overly offended when I point out that you should have thought of that before you committed all your assets to the country.

A country that has a track record of making it clear that you are tolerated but not welcome.

What of the man who didn't plan to stay here, but his Thai partner deliberately became pregnant, and he chose to honour his parental obligations?

@blether

So when a foreign guy dumps his family and returns to the home country because he can't get health insurance.

You won't be starting a topic about it.

Oh, oh, and I don't think any western country in the world expects it's citizens to make proper provision for their own health care.

(Unless they want to)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 2

Are you suggesting they should desert their wife and family and move back to their home country?

In most civilised countries married foreigners already living in that country are allowed citizenship.

I can empathize with people in this position. However everybody has points in their life when they should have or could have considered the ramifications of this sort of issue and taken steps to protect themselves (to the best of their ability and affordability) from any form of future disaster, be it health, accident, or not being able to provide for their health care in their old age.

This probably sounds pompous (Blether, can I borrow your flameproof suit?), but I made serious sacrifices when I was younger to make sure I am well protected with life insurances, health insurances, travel insurances etc. I commenced policies at a young age when it was obvious there were no pre-existing conditions etc. I'm still making sacrifices today to ensure that I am as well protected as I can - and believe me the premiums get more the older you get.

Some policies expire at 70, some at 78, so when I get there in 20 odd years I'm striving to ensure I have enough savings to live comfortably and the ability to pay for health care.

Flamers: make sure you have the gas tanks fully charged! ph34r.png

This probably sounds pompous (Blether, can I borrow your flameproof suit?), but I made serious sacrifices when I was younger to make sure I am well protected with life insurances, health insurances, travel insurances etc. I commenced policies at a young age when it was obvious there were no pre-existing conditions etc. I'm still making sacrifices today to ensure that I am as well protected as I can - and believe me the premiums get more the older you get.

Some policies expire at 70, some at 78, so when I get there in 20 odd years I'm striving to ensure I have enough savings to live comfortably and the ability to pay for health care.

It's very rare for a private health insurance policy taken out in one country, to be valid in (or when you move to) another country.

Same for travel insurance, only valid when you travel on business or on holiday, not valid when you move to another country.

You must have chosen very carefully, or not read the fine print.

• Like 1

It's very rare for a private health insurance policy taken out in one country, to be valid in (or when you move to) another country.

Same for travel insurance, only valid when you travel on business or on holiday, not valid when you move to another country.

I do fine print for a living. Travel Insurance covers me anywhere in the world except NZ (and Antarctica, but no real plans of travelling there due to the very infrequent flight schedule and far from healthy climate). My Health insurances, Loss of Income Insurances and Accident Insurances in NZ partially cover while overseas and cover me 100% if/when I repatriate myself home, either voluntarily or as the result of an illness or accident sustained overseas. Death cover of course applies worldwide.

Edit: The Travel policy I have doesn't differentiate in the way you suggest. I'm not a resident of Thailand, my country of residence is NZ. Regardless, the Insurer allows for long term travelling and that's what I am technically doing - I have regular trips home to ensure I am a NZ tax resident in accordance with NZ tax laws (and therefore definition of residency) etc.

Edited by Gsxrnz

So far so good, folks. Would like to keep this thread along "oneamericans" thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO: After reaching the age of 70, annual premiums are getting so expensive, that even well off Farangs might not be willing (or able) to pay for it.

So, would it be best for us to die, before reaching the age of 70 ???

Cheers.

I do fine print for a living. Travel Insurance covers me anywhere in the world except NZ (and Antarctica, but no real plans of travelling there due to the very infrequent flight schedule and far from healthy climate). My Health insurances, Loss of Income Insurances and Accident Insurances in NZ partially cover while overseas and cover me 100% if/when I repatriate myself home, either voluntarily or as the result of an illness or accident sustained overseas. Death cover of course applies worldwide.

Edit: The Travel policy I have doesn't differentiate in the way you suggest. I'm not a resident of Thailand, my country of residence is NZ. Regardless, the Insurer allows for long term travelling and that's what I am technically doing - I have regular trips home to ensure I am a NZ tax resident in accordance with NZ tax laws (and therefore definition of residency) etc.

I agree with you and theblether on this.

But all the travel policies I have seen are geared toward getting you sufficiently patched up to travel, and then back home- in case of an accident or illness.

Then what? In your case, probably decent insurance or national health care, but that doesn't help a lot of folks and certainly doesn't help the guy leaving behind a wife and the kiddies.

Thus the interest in Expat Health Insurance in Thailand that isn't related to travel.

Edit: On a side note, I suspect that any mandatory insurance required by the Thai government would be directed the same way- to get the injured/sick party patched up and the heck out of the country, so I don't hold out much hope it will be a blessing for any long stay folks.

Edited by impulse

@Gsx

This thread is about people moving to Thailand, you haven't, so you don't have their problems.

Worldwide health Insurance for tourists is a doddle.

I've lived in Thailand for 2 1/2 years apart from 18 weeks when I was in NZ. So I think I live here and do have their problems. My point is that I have coverage and go out of my way to incur costs to ensure that the cover remains valid. In other words, I recognise the importance of health cover and not only pay the premiums but also incur additional costs to maintain the best possible coverage through managing my residency position. Anybody "living" here can do the same if they choose to or want to.

@Blether

Having read some of your more revealing posts. I doubt very much if you would ever be able to buy the kind of insurance you are suggesting everyone should have.

You prior health record wouldn't allow you anything beyond tourist short term repatriation insurance.

What are you going to do?

• Like 1

@Gsx

This thread is about people moving to Thailand, you haven't, so you don't have their problems.

Worldwide health Insurance for tourists is a doddle.

I've lived in Thailand for 2 1/2 years apart from 18 weeks when I was in NZ. So I think I live here and do have their problems. My point is that I have coverage and go out of my way to incur costs to ensure that the cover remains valid. In other words, I recognise the importance of health cover and not only pay the premiums but also incur additional costs to maintain the best possible coverage through managing my residency position. Anybody "living" here can do the same if they choose to or want to.

Many people aren't happy to defraud their insurance companies.

Many people would be scared of getting caught.

@Blether

Having read some of your more revealing posts. I doubt very much if you would ever be able to buy the kind of insurance you are suggesting everyone should have.

You prior health record wouldn't allow you anything beyond tourist short term repatriation insurance.

Straight answer to a straight question?

I'm a sterling asset millionaire. I also earn serious money over and above my assets. How else would I be able to swan around the world for 6 months of the year?

Now I can assure you I'm going to get flamed the life out of for telling you that. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I agree with you and theblether on this.

But all the travel policies I have seen are geared toward getting you sufficiently patched up to travel, and then back home- in case of an accident or illness.

Then what? In your case, probably decent insurance or national health care, but that doesn't help a lot of folks and certainly doesn't help the guy leaving behind a wife and the kiddies.

Thus the interest in Expat Health Insurance in Thailand that isn't related to travel.

Edit: On a side note, I suspect that any mandatory insurance required by the Thai government would be directed the same way- to get the injured/sick party patched up and the heck out of the country, so I don't hold out much hope it will be a blessing for any long stay folks.

Yes, I understand where you're coming from. Having cover is one thing, but then what next if an incident occurs regarding repatriation etc. I was looking at the issue purely from my personal/individual perspective. I've seen advertisements for health insurance for foreigners in Thailand (can't remember where but I'll chase it up) and my Thai wife and daughter here both have cover through private health and accident insurance that is with AIA. I'll google what I can and see if I can't find out more details/options for Expats who want health cover solely in Thailand.

@Blether

Straight answer to a straight question?

I'm a sterling asset millionaire. I also earn serious money over and above my assets. How else would I be able to swan around the world for 6 months of the year?

Now I can assure you I'm going to get flamed the life out of for telling you that. coffee1.gif

You still wouldn't be able to get that mandatory insurance policy.

Oh, oh, I thought everyone on TV was at least a $US millionaire.

• Like 1