Mandatory Health Ins.-The Latest?

swissie

I agree that the 30 baht public health cover should not be automatically extended to farang. It is intended for poor Thais—as far as I understand it. Having said that, I dislike the idea of mandatory insurance. While it may sound good, in practice it will prove clumsy and costly to implement. Another government dept to monitor compliance? Overall, it will cost far more than it saves. The reality is that most farang (90% plus, at least) are of benefit to Thailand, in ways small and great. How many farang are caring for someone else's (a Thai man's) family? The number defaulting on medical bills is minuscule compared to the overall funds generated by tourism and expats. If the Thai gov wanted to save money I have a list of a dozen things it can try first. I could say more, but the phrase "storm in a teacup" is my response to this question.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mandatory - meaning 'you will do this!' Thats ugly! Our world is full of such rulings and they restrict our freedom of choice. Some are necessary of course, but surely we should think carefully before bringing more restrictions on people.

To mandate that every visitor should have health insurance is a little short sighted. Some people study the situation, and decide that they can self insure, they have enough resources to cover the likely cost of medical treatment. To make them also take out insurance would be pointless. Others (I'm thinking of budget travelers) probably have no insurance (I certainly didn't when I was 18!) but hopefully could contact friends or relatives if they had a problem.

However, it is wise that people should have something to fall back on in case of emergency, so rather than mandatory insurance make it "insurance or other means (i.e money) or a letter of guarantee that someone would cover the costs (though this would be abused)"

^^ First of all, it's Mr theblether. coffee1.gif

Okay, many of the older British members of the forum will remember the founding on the National Health Service, it was a monumental day for British society.

For all the faults allocated against the Dubai Dodger, he will go down in history in Thailand for introducing the 30 baht scheme. Bringing healthcare to the poor should be celebrated.

These are two monumental achievements.

Right........

My point is, and I will not stand down from it, the Thai public health service is underfunded, and the poor that use it, grateful as they are to have it at all, have no choice but to take what they get.

Then swan in a contingent of farangs who think, happy days, cheap healthcare!! All the more Leo's for me!

That's not on......it's our decision to be here so therefore we must make adequate provision for our healthcare needs without turning to a service that is underfunded, and where the clients are already being forced to wait for hours every day to see Doctors.

Now a second point, I do have empathy for people who have made their homes, their lives in Thailand with their Thai families. I am of the opinion that the current Thai government policies are cruel and destructive to family life. A natural part of family life is the ageing process and so it would be particularly cruel to cause family dislocation when a farang elder falls into poor health.

So here's theblethers very clever solution to this conundrum........

Insist that all farangs of a working age have private medical insurance, who could argue with that huh?

Then bring in a variation of the Thai Elite card where the farang could pay an annual premium, ( let's say 10,000 baht ) over a minimum qualifying period ( let's say 10 years ), and once the farang hit's an agreed retirement age ( let's say 65 ) he can then get access to the 30 baht scheme. On top of that he should be excused the requirements of 90 day reporting etc as he has shown a track record of living in and contributing to Thailand.

I think that would be a fair compromise..........and to me there is a big difference between people who have lived and worked / raised families in Thailand, and those who have chosen Thailand as a retirement destination. The former should absolutely be recognized for their commitment and contribution to the country, the latter should be held to a different standard.

That's my thoughts anyway, I'll gibe Yingluck a call later and tell her to get on with it.

• Like 1

I agree that the 30 baht public health cover should not be automatically extended to farang. It is intended for poor Thais—as far as I understand it. Having said that, I dislike the idea of mandatory insurance. While it may sound good, in practice it will prove clumsy and costly to implement. Another government dept to monitor compliance? Overall, it will cost far more than it saves. The reality is that most farang (90% plus, at least) are of benefit to Thailand, in ways small and great. How many farang are caring for someone else's (a Thai man's) family? The number defaulting on medical bills is minuscule compared to the overall funds generated by tourism and expats. If the Thai gov wanted to save money I have a list of a dozen things it can try first. I could say more, but the phrase "storm in a teacup" is my response to this question.

A simple smart card system would validate that people have insurance. It takes three seconds for Thai banks to talk to foreign banks via ATM transactions, there's no reason why the same system could not be put in place by insurance companies.

^ and on that note, if you have a Kasikorn account with an atm card you can get health insurance for about 2,500 Baht for the year. It pays out upto 1,000 per day. BUT you have to be under 70 to get it.

It would certainly be a good thing to have for accidents etc.

All well and good,wanting health insurance.

Many people can not acquire such policies, due to pre existing conditions.

Agreed!

I'd love to have a policy in case of serious accident or illness, but age and pre-existing excludes that.

So my GP suggested I put the premium money into a bank each year, and stay away from motor bikes!

When I go belly-up, Immigration can draw on the nest-egg they ask from retirees.

• Like 1

Why would Thailand want to extend a tax payer funded, subsidized healthcare plan to farang?

Maybe they are using the American style of supporting illegal immigrants and people who should not be in the system are in the system because of bad govt policy and all the "do gooders".

Edited by rotary

Hi everyone I totally understand a lot of the arguments presented here. I personally had a very difficult time to find insurance. Many exclude many common conditions. Many exclude motorbike accidents, scuba bungee etc. Most were very expensive. Others offered inadequate coverage levels.

I agree that we should have insurance but insurance that will not cover the perils or costs serves little benefit except to the insurance companies. So I think mandating insurance may not be enough. It would have to actually have the correct coverage.How the government could check this would be a challenge. I thus think that mandatory insurance may not really deliver the benefits that the government is trying to realize. Just imagine how many tourists are treated for motor bike accidents.

On another note I did finally find a good affordable expat coverage. I share this with all in case it can help you. I am not a broker nor a sales person. The coverage is ACS Asia there are brokers in Thailand. more info here www.acs-ami.com/en/acs/expatasia

Hope you all live long and healthy.

• Like 2

I'm staying currently in Thailand for long periods.

It can be a very good and economically for Thailand as well as for the falangs community.

Most travel insurance are very expensive.

Thailand can open some schemes for falangs.

I'm paying about 4$ a day......

can some one give me details how the 30 Baht a month works for Thais? a URL?

Haim

Okay, many of the older British members of the forum will remember the founding on the National Health Service, it was a monumental day for British society.

For all the faults allocated against the Dubai Dodger, he will go down in history in Thailand for introducing the 30 baht scheme. Bringing healthcare to the poor should be celebrated.

Right........

My point is, and I will not stand down from it, the Thai public health service is underfunded, and the poor that use it, grateful as they are to have it at all, have no choice but to take what they get.

Then swan in a contingent of farangs who think, happy days, cheap healthcare!! All the more Leo's for me!

That's not on......it's our decision to be here so therefore we must make adequate provision for our healthcare needs without turning to a service that is underfunded, and where the clients are already being forced to wait for hours every day to see Doctors.

Now a second point, I do have empathy for people who have made their homes, their lives in Thailand with their Thai families. I am of the opinion that the current Thai government policies are cruel and destructive to family life. A natural part of family life is the ageing process and so it would be particularly cruel to cause family dislocation when a farang elder falls into poor health.

Insist that all farangs of a working age have private medical insurance, who could argue with that huh?

Then bring in a variation of the Thai Elite card where the farang could pay an annual premium, ( let's say 10,000 baht ) over a minimum qualifying period ( let's say 10 years ), and once the farang hit's an agreed retirement age ( let's say 65 ) he can then get access to the 30 baht scheme. On top of that he should be excused the requirements of 90 day reporting etc as he has shown a track record of living in and contributing to Thailand.

I think that would be a fair compromise..........and to me there is a big difference between people who have lived and worked / raised families in Thailand, and those who have chosen Thailand as a retirement destination. The former should absolutely be recognized for their commitment and contribution to the country, the latter should be held to a different standard.

That's my thoughts anyway, I'll gibe Yingluck a call later and tell her to get on with it.

The only problem with your system is it is medically proven that most pensioners suffer the expensive medical issues post retirement, thus your system would allow the more costly medical treatment after they receive the B30 card in turn draining the system that was designed for Thai's. There should be no B30 card at any age and no exemption for 90 day reporting.

A criminal can be unrecognised for years look at cases of serial killers, rapist and paedophile rings that are never heard of for 20-25yrs then start up again, your system would give the likes of this type a place to hide until they no longer have to report their location..

Right........

The only problem with your system is it is medically proven that most pensioners suffer the expensive medical issues post retirement, thus your system would allow the more costly medical treatment after they receive the B30 card in turn draining the system that was designed for Thai's. There should be no B30 card at any age and no exemption for 90 day reporting.

A criminal can be unrecognised for years look at cases of serial killers, rapist and paedophile rings that are never heard of for 20-25yrs then start up again, your system would give the likes of this type a place to hide until they no longer have to report their location..

My system recognizes people that have been committed to and working in Thailand for at least 10 years. I think it's only fair that their contribution is recognized, and that they should be given some relief post retirement.

Your second point is OTT

Over the years here i have seen a lot of farangs in trouble because of health issues,nearly all of them had no insurance.Most were holidayers who did not care about what could happen to them.In all cases it ended up costing them a lot of money,mandatory health insurance for their on protection?I am all for it but the way it will or should work is not so easy,no more bike rentals for people without a license etc.

I knew a young guy who did have travel insurance,he was riding to his room being drunk,no helmet and fast speed.They send him home in a box and his family ended up paying for it all because the insurance company (rightfully so) refused to pay.

The 30 baht scheme is a very good thing for the poor Thais and for many the only way towards any kind of healthcare.I do not believe any farang would be happy with the level of care in this system because it is very basic.

I know personally of old Thai people who went to the hospital and where giving some pain medication and told to go home.............

I understand that some people can cheat the system by just traveling enough to remain a resident in their country but it gets harder to do so .

Maybe in a few years the Thai government will make retired expats pay tax over here and in return let them join a healthcare plan.

In the coming years Thailands healthcare system will become a lot more expensive for the same reason as in western countries and it will be very interesting to see the way they will handle it.

Right........

My system recognizes people that have been committed to and working in Thailand for at least 10 years. I think it's only fair that their contribution is recognized, and that they should be given some relief post retirement.

Your second point is OTT

Agreed and maybe rightly so.

What would you estimate the cost of a hip replacement or bypass heart surgery?

The last point is OTT but still possible.

Ah.. The Leos are wearing off and the world seems a tad more complex than the black & white 'imovable' views we were treated to earlier.

Ah.. The Leos are wearing off and the world seems a tad more complex than the black & white 'imovable' views we were treated to earlier.

It's the way of the World, take a position, defend it rigorously, then just do what your wife tells you.

This probably sounds pompous (Blether, can I borrow your flameproof suit?), but I made serious sacrifices when I was younger to make sure I am well protected with life insurances, health insurances, travel insurances etc. I commenced policies at a young age when it was obvious there were no pre-existing conditions etc. I'm still making sacrifices today to ensure that I am as well protected as I can - and believe me the premiums get more the older you get.

Some policies expire at 70, some at 78, so when I get there in 20 odd years I'm striving to ensure I have enough savings to live comfortably and the ability to pay for health care.

It's very rare for a private health insurance policy taken out in one country, to be valid in (or when you move to) another country.

Same for travel insurance, only valid when you travel on business or on holiday, not valid when you move to another country.

You must have chosen very carefully, or not read the fine print.

Ah, excuse me, but no, it's not. I have farang friends from the U.S. whose policies cover them here, as well as friends from different European countries with the same. With all of them I have spoken to, each had to notify their insurance company of the move to Thailand, and in some cases premiums were adjusted, but the coverage is there.

1. It should be mandatory.

2. Under no circumstances should they extend the 30 baht scheme to farangs.

It's a scheme for the Thai working class and poor, not a scheme to assist farangs in lifestyle decisions.

I think it's ridiculous.......RIDICULOUS!......that anyone in all conscience would try to use up the few precious resources available to the Thai poor.

Just in case your confused, I think it's ridiculous.

Just so you know. coffee1.gif

So what do you think foreigners with Thai wife and children should do?

Those who are too old to get any insurance?

Those who are too poor to afford insurance?

Are you suggesting they should desert their wife and family and move back to their home country?

What would you suggest they do?

In most civilised countries married foreigners already living in that country are allowed citizenship.

Who's saying you cant get citizenship in Thailand? You can if you meet the requirements as in any other country!

Yeah, you can get citizen ship in Thailand IF you are prepared to wait YEARS, and keep forking out money on a continual basis for each step of the process, and the hope & pray when it's all said and done that you are within the "set quota" of those from your country, otherwise, it's all been a major waste of time and money, not to mention frustration and stress. And to be honest, why the hell would you want to be a citzen here?

Somehow I doubt that any foreigner would be allowed to join the Thai national scheme at 30b/month, and I really don't see anything wrong with that. In the same way, I would expect a visitor to my country to have some form of insurance or be able to pay for their own medical costs if they have an issue while travelling there.

I have long term travel insurance which I renew every year. Costs about NZD500 for a year and has all the necessary cover I need for both living in Thailand and travelling overseas.

I'd consider it very unwise for anybody living as an expat or travelling anywhere in the world not to have appropriate insurances in place. As to Insurances in your domestic country, well they're all different so everybody has to make their own call based on their circumstances and government policy.

I think it actually is a good idea for any government to require travel/medical insurances before entry is allowed into the country - not just Thailand. It sure would solve a lot of hard-up stories from travellers here that get injured or sick and didn't have the wisdom to think that maybe a foreign government doesn't have the same obligations to look after me as my own government.

If you live in Thailand how come you can get long-term travel/medical insurance from New Zealand? As far as I am aware, non-residents of a state can't get such insurance unless they are resident of that state - it seemed to apply in the UK. Can you illuminate us on this in case others could get the same?

Somehow I doubt that any foreigner would be allowed to join the Thai national scheme at 30b/month, and I really don't see anything wrong with that. In the same way, I would expect a visitor to my country to have some form of insurance or be able to pay for their own medical costs if they have an issue while travelling there.

I have long term travel insurance which I renew every year. Costs about NZD500 for a year and has all the necessary cover I need for both living in Thailand and travelling overseas.

I'd consider it very unwise for anybody living as an expat or travelling anywhere in the world not to have appropriate insurances in place. As to Insurances in your domestic country, well they're all different so everybody has to make their own call based on their circumstances and government policy.

I think it actually is a good idea for any government to require travel/medical insurances before entry is allowed into the country - not just Thailand. It sure would solve a lot of hard-up stories from travellers here that get injured or sick and didn't have the wisdom to think that maybe a foreign government doesn't have the same obligations to look after me as my own government.

As a kiwi who lived in BK on and off for a few years with no insurance I paid cash at various hospitals for mostly minor stuff luckily. Probably wouldnt risk it again tho if we come back I'd be 60's and would have trouble getting cover I guess. I must say the we are very generous in NZ in that all tourists are covered by our accident compensation scheme for any injury accident. Yes it is ridiculous isnt it

I think it actually is a good idea for any government to require travel/medical insurances before entry is allowed into the country - not just Thailand.

You may have decided to get insurance.

I however decided to save money and insure myself with it's innumerable benefits including not paying for fraud, running costs and profits of insurance, hassle, shopping for best treatment options, care over purchase of medicines.........all of which are obviated when you pay for insurance.

Obviously some fallback capital is necessary and I have it. Paying for medical insurance for the last decades I see as a big expense......and an unnecessary one.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 2

Ok, now that I've "vented" my somewhat sarcastim mode, let me be a bit more tactful. Not always the easiest thing for me to do, but I'll try.

First - I spent 20 years in the U.S. Marines. I was going for the full 30, but a nasty 'chute landing had a seriouly negative effect on my back, so I took the 20, and also received 100% disability. Ok, so I got a decent, but not great, pension for life. Thanks to those two incidents, I could go to any VA hospital, anywhere in the country, for whatever reason, and never have to pay. If more than 50 miles from a VA hospital, I could go to any hospital, and the VA would pay. So, the thought of buying any type of health insurance was something I never considered.

Second, when I moved to Thailand and finally got married to a woman 10 younger, one of the first things we discussed was health insurance. At 58.I knew that even though I was, basically, in good shape, it would be something I would need in the future. She has friends who worked for both Siam Life and Muang Thai Insurance. We sat down with both and finally picked the plan that was best suited to my needs. Later, my wife herself went to work for Siam Life, and we then added life insurance as well, but with some stipulations I requested to guard against "sudden death", like faling from a tall condo balcony, etc. I've had a few health issues over the past 3 years, and the insurance has definitely been a benefit. LIving in Thailand, the VA will only pay for anythat is related to my "service connected disability", but that's it.

To my way of thinking, if you don't have adequate insurance from your own country to cover you, then you need to seriously consider getting insurance here that will, providing you can pass the medical exam. If you can't, well, recommending that you "go home" sounds cold and cruel, but it might actually be your best option, if that's a viable solution and you aren't supporting a family here.

So, if you don't have it, get it. If you can't get it, make regular visits to a local temple and pray for a long and healthy life.

Making medical insurance compulsory for long-term residents in Thailand will just mean inflated prices by Thai providers if they know they have captured customers. Collusion in price hikes will undoubtedly take place. Having insurance does not guarantee payment of medical bills, which is what is being talked about. It only insures that annual fees are paid. There are so many exceptions when it comes to companies paying their bills. If someone can prove they have at least a minimum income/savings then it should be enough. Maybe proof of insurance and/or minimum savings/income would be better as the over '70s would have trouble getting insurance or have to pay exhorbitant premiums when they prefer to pay themselves.

• Like 2

I take out travel insurance when I travel, but don't really expect much from it.

I shopped for health insurance in the private market several years ago (USA). Prices I was quoted for reasonable coverage with high deductible ($5-10K/ year) were in the range of $400-900 per month.

So when I have a "travel insurance policy" that costs me $100-150 for 90 days, I don't really have a warm fuzzy that I'm covered very well should I get ill or have an accident. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not, but it just doesn't smell right.

I'd be interested in hearing any first person, real life experiences with collecting on these policies. So far, all I have seen is "I have travel insurance through a highly rated, great company that has an excellent website and I sleep easy knowing I'm covered" I have yet to read "I incurred serious medical expenses and they took good care of me."

How about some real advice on the topic? Can anyone recommend a good all-encompassing policy. That is one that takes care of health care whilst resident in Thailand and also while travelling?

30 baht card
??????

it is issued with yellow house book