Mandatory Health Ins.-The Latest?

swissie

1. It should be mandatory.

2. Under no circumstances should they extend the 30 baht scheme to farangs.

It's a scheme for the Thai working class and poor, not a scheme to assist farangs in lifestyle decisions.

I think it's ridiculous.......RIDICULOUS!......that anyone in all conscience would try to use up the few precious resources available to the Thai poor.

Just in case your confused, I think it's ridiculous.

Just so you know. coffee1.gif

So what do you think foreigners with Thai wife and children should do?

Those who are too old to get any insurance?

Those who are too poor to afford insurance?

Are you suggesting they should desert their wife and family and move back to their home country?

What would you suggest they do?

In most civilised countries married foreigners already living in that country are allowed citizenship.

They are allowed to apply for it without any guarantees of success, just like in Thailand.

Edited by Trembly

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the European Union if the citizen of a member country needs medical treatment in any of the countries all they have to do is fill in an E11 form.

The only problem is ,it doesnt work. I tried it with doctors in Berlin and Nice and although I am from the UK they said they had never heard of such a thing. I had to pay cash or by plastic card. So beware Thailand.

If Thai nationals need medical treatment in the UK they get it for free. The British taxpayer has to pay the cost into the National health service.So, why cannot I as a British citizen get free medical treatment in Thailand? It isnt fair. Another example of how the British government does not stick up for its own people.

Because the majority of Thais don't pay tax, when was the last time you saw a bar girl or farm worker filling out a tax return?

It would be extremely easy. Just add the cost of insurance to the airport fees and have the airlines collect it for you. Collect the fees at immigration at any land crossing. There would be no need to check everyone's documents if everyone was required to have the same government mandated policy. If you want better care than you'd get at a government facility, (or you want care beyond "we'll patch you up and get you home"), your own insurance or back pocket would be called into play.

"Easy" doesn't mean it's a good idea (though I think it could be- if properly structured), but it would be easy to implement at 100% participation.

Disclosure, edited a little after StreetCowboy replied, my apologies.

Still haven't figured out this new quoting process, using Chrome. I'm replying to this quote below.

"ROFLMAO. Can you just imagine? Immigration officers all over the world having to check every arriving passenger from every country in the world now not only for passport/visa, but for - wait for it - "health insurance"? Yeah. Brilliant. "Oh, I'm sorry sir, we don't accept that card."

You can't make this stuff up!

Edited by impulse

It would be extremely easy. Just add the cost of insurance to the airport fees and have the airlines collect it for you. Collect the fees at immigration at any land crossing. There would be no need to check everyone's documents if everyone was required to have the same government mandated policy. If you want better care than you'd get at a government facility, your own insurance or back pocket would be called into play.

"Easy" doesn't mean it's a good idea (though I think it is), but it would be easy to implement at 100% participation.

Still haven't figured out this new quoting process, using Chrome. I'm replying to this quote below.

"ROFLMAO. Can you just imagine? Immigration officers all over the world having to check every arriving passenger from every country in the world now not only for passport/visa, but for - wait for it - "health insurance"? Yeah. Brilliant. "Oh, I'm sorry sir, we don't accept that card."

They could call it an "airport tax"

It would be extremely easy. Just add the cost of insurance to the airport fees and have the airlines collect it for you. Collect the fees at immigration at any land crossing. There would be no need to check everyone's documents if everyone was required to have the same government mandated policy. If you want better care than you'd get at a government facility, your own insurance or back pocket would be called into play.

"Easy" doesn't mean it's a good idea (though I think it is), but it would be easy to implement at 100% participation.

They could call it an "airport tax"

Look at the fine print on an airplane ticket today and see how many different taxes you're already paying. One more would be eezy peezy.

• Like 1

^^ First of all, it's Mr theblether. coffee1.gif

Okay, many of the older British members of the forum will remember the founding on the National Health Service, it was a monumental day for British society.

For all the faults allocated against the Dubai Dodger, he will go down in history in Thailand for introducing the 30 baht scheme. Bringing healthcare to the poor should be celebrated.

These are two monumental achievements.

Right........

My point is, and I will not stand down from it, the Thai public health service is underfunded, and the poor that use it, grateful as they are to have it at all, have no choice but to take what they get.

Then swan in a contingent of farangs who think, happy days, cheap healthcare!! All the more Leo's for me!

That's not on......it's our decision to be here so therefore we must make adequate provision for our healthcare needs without turning to a service that is underfunded, and where the clients are already being forced to wait for hours every day to see Doctors.

Now a second point, I do have empathy for people who have made their homes, their lives in Thailand with their Thai families. I am of the opinion that the current Thai government policies are cruel and destructive to family life. A natural part of family life is the ageing process and so it would be particularly cruel to cause family dislocation when a farang elder falls into poor health.

So here's theblethers very clever solution to this conundrum........

Insist that all farangs of a working age have private medical insurance, who could argue with that huh?

Then bring in a variation of the Thai Elite card where the farang could pay an annual premium, ( let's say 10,000 baht ) over a minimum qualifying period ( let's say 10 years ), and once the farang hit's an agreed retirement age ( let's say 65 ) he can then get access to the 30 baht scheme. On top of that he should be excused the requirements of 90 day reporting etc as he has shown a track record of living in and contributing to Thailand.

I think that would be a fair compromise..........and to me there is a big difference between people who have lived and worked / raised families in Thailand, and those who have chosen Thailand as a retirement destination. The former should absolutely be recognized for their commitment and contribution to the country, the latter should be held to a different standard.

That's my thoughts anyway, I'll gibe Yingluck a call later and tell her to get on with it.

The only problem with your system is it is medically proven that most pensioners suffer the expensive medical issues post retirement, thus your system would allow the more costly medical treatment after they receive the B30 card in turn draining the system that was designed for Thai's. There should be no B30 card at any age and no exemption for 90 day reporting.

A criminal can be unrecognised for years look at cases of serial killers, rapist and paedophile rings that are never heard of for 20-25yrs then start up again, your system would give the likes of this type a place to hide until they no longer have to report their location..

My system recognizes people that have been committed to and working in Thailand for at least 10 years. I think it's only fair that their contribution is recognized, and that they should be given some relief post retirement.

Your second point is OTT

This guy would have been free from 90 day reporting in your system....

http://www.thaivisa....-thai-children/

What was the point of that post?

Can you show me any evidence of a link between criminality and 90 day reporting?

Are you suggesting that being relieved of the burden of 90 day reporting will see a surge in Geriatric crime?

Incidentally, your wrong anyway, he retired to Thailand, soi he wouldn't qualify for exemption under my suggestion, only people who lived and worked here for a minimum of 10 years would qualify.

• Like 1

It's a scheme for the Thai working class and poor, not a scheme to assist farangs in lifestyle decisions.

I think it's ridiculous.......RIDICULOUS!......that anyone in all conscience would try to use up the few precious resources available to the Thai poor.

I suppose I better go put my flame proof suit on now. Oh well.

Blether...+1 from me.

"I think it actually is a good idea for any government to require travel/medical insurances before entry is allowed into the country - not just Thailand. It sure would solve a lot of hard-up stories from travellers here that get injured or sick and didn't have the wisdom to think that maybe a foreign government doesn't have the same obligations to look after me as my own government."

ROFLMAO. Can you just imagine? Immigration officers all over the world having to check every arriving passenger from every country in the world now not only for passport/visa, but for - wait for it - "health insurance"? Yeah. Brilliant. "Oh, I'm sorry sir, we don't accept that card." This is more a topic for some science fiction forum I think. Now, going beyond that lapse of conscious thought, I CAN see bureaucrats' eyes lighting up over a whole new possible source of tea money... And talk about the law of unintended consequences. How many would forego the legitimate travel insurance to which they're presently subscribing, secure in the knowledge that the host country will be collecting a fee from them now at immigration that will ensure their medical coverage while on vaca in the LOS?

Once again, some pointy-headed do-gooders ready to punish, regulate, restrict and tax the self-reliant, responsible, majority for the sins of the relative few, and just SURE that government can be depended upon do it effectively, efficiently, and fairly.

Be quiet......Dubai is installing a swipe card system for immigration right now, it will be live in September. It's running for UAE nationals already,

Within 10 years every major airport in the World will be running with the same system. It will be as easy as pie for the insurance companies to link into the system.

Imagine that eh? Walk up to an E-Gate, swipe card, walk through..........simple.

"I think it actually is a good idea for any government to require travel/medical insurances before entry is allowed into the country - not just Thailand. It sure would solve a lot of hard-up stories from travellers here that get injured or sick and didn't have the wisdom to think that maybe a foreign government doesn't have the same obligations to look after me as my own government."

ROFLMAO. Can you just imagine? Immigration officers all over the world having to check every arriving passenger from every country in the world now not only for passport/visa, but for - wait for it - "health insurance"? Yeah. Brilliant. "Oh, I'm sorry sir, we don't accept that card." This is more a topic for some science fiction forum I think. Now, going beyond that lapse of conscious thought, I CAN see bureaucrats' eyes lighting up over a whole new possible source of tea money... And talk about the law of unintended consequences. How many would forego the legitimate travel insurance to which they're presently subscribing, secure in the knowledge that the host country will be collecting a fee from them now at immigration that will ensure their medical coverage while on vaca in the LOS?

Once again, some pointy-headed do-gooders ready to punish, regulate, restrict and tax the self-reliant, responsible, majority for the sins of the relative few, and just SURE that government can be depended upon do it effectively, efficiently, and fairly.

Be quiet......Dubai is installing a swipe card system for immigration right now, it will be live in September. It's running for UAE nationals already,

Within 10 years every major airport in the World will be running with the same system. It will be as easy as pie for the insurance companies to link into the system.

Imagine that eh? Walk up to an E-Gate, swipe card, walk through..........simple.

As far as I know, none of the systems are compatible. Dubai and HKG have ID card based passportless immigration for residents (Work Permit holders) already (my experience only - perhaps also many other places).

SC

It's relatively new technology, I believe ( in fact I'm sure ) I will be able to enter the Dubai using only my Skywards membership card. What seems new now will be old hat soon.

I had a HKG Smart iD Card back in 2003

SC

Why would Thailand want to extend a tax payer funded, subsidized healthcare plan to farang?

Perhaps because the aforementioned farangs are also tax payers, probably at a much higher level than those those that it seeks to support...! When I lived in Taiwan, the system was open to all, essentially because everyone (nationals or otherwise) were required to pay taxes on all of their earnings.

• Like 1

This guy would have been free from 90 day reporting in your system....

http://www.thaivisa....-thai-children/

What was the point of that post?

Can you show me any evidence of a link between criminality and 90 day reporting?

Are you suggesting that being relieved of the burden of 90 day reporting will see a surge in Geriatric crime?

Incidentally, your wrong anyway, he retired to Thailand, soi he wouldn't qualify for exemption under my suggestion, only people who lived and worked here for a minimum of 10 years would qualify.

What is the purpose of 90 day reporting?

I assume it's not just to inconvenience an individual, i would assume it is to record who is in the country and where they are as you have to provide an address.

Under your system anyone over the age of 65 could report for the last time and then move anywhere within the country whenever they chose.

Maybe someone could tell me as i have reported at the same location every time and the closest point to my home, If an individual reports in a location far away from their residential address when there are checkpoints closer to their home are any questions asked?

I am only suggesting relieving the 90 day report would give an option to criminals, unless you are suggesting there are no criminals over the age of 65 which would mean there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

I suppose I better go put my flame proof suit on now. Oh well.

Blether - not a lot of room for confusion there, and no flames from me. I agree with you 100%.

I'll still get flamed though, I just know it. laugh.png

Have another and only the flames from down under might bother youclap2.gifcheesy.gif

If it's going to be mandatory i'd like to see price regulation based on injury/ailment rather than nationality or colour of skin. Re taxes/the poor; any country that issues ID cards to it's citizens should be able to implement a taxation system where each person has to explain how they have supported themselves if the taxman has no record of them when they renew their id cards.

why do you think they have to put 800.000 baht each year on a rentless account ? just about to cover that

Actually this is food for thought.

If us retirees are imposed to deposit 800000 baht into a Thai bank each year to qualify under the Immigration rules for over 50s to stay here long term, then why not give us something back in return, such as some sort of medical or accident insurance coverage for being good boys and giving the Thailand economy the benefit of holding our 800000 baht?

I would rather have some sort of bank account that includes insurance coverage and forfeit the interest, if the banks were to create such types of accounts. Lets face it, the banks are making huge profits and could easily provide such schemes.

There are presently some insurance savings schemes available, but as I understand it, these are not accepted by Immigration. And perhaps the banks could provide other incentives, such as, the more funds we place into an account over prescribed periods, the more insurance coverage we get?

Good for the banks, good for the Thai economy and good for us. Everyone`s happy around.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Why would Thailand want to extend a tax payer funded, subsidized healthcare plan to farang?

Maybe they are using the American style of supporting illegal immigrants and people who should not be in the system are in the system because of bad govt policy and all the "do gooders".

Is it possible that every single one of your posts goes off topic so that it can bash the US? What a troll.

As it happens, on topic, Thailand has just .37 doctors per 100,000 people, and the US has 2.3, the last time statistics were taken. Link

While Thailand can in most cases provide good health care, it is woefully lacking in the rural areas. Also, with a per capita income of just more than 10% of what the US has, it's hard to pay medical staff well, or even to attract them.

So before we start talking about covering farangs in Thailand, we might want to talk about actually covering Thais. Those who know the truth know that many Thais don't have good medical care, much less care without long waits.

Foreigners come to Thailand for health care and get a different experience, based on their ATM cards than the average Thai does.

• Like 1

why do you think they have to put 800.000 baht each year on a rentless account ? just about to cover that

If us retirees are imposed to deposit 800000 baht into a Thai bank each year to qualify under the Immigration rules for over 50s to stay here long term, then why not give us something back in return, such as some sort of medical or accident insurance coverage for being good boys and giving the Thailand economy the benefit of holding our 800000 baht?

I would rather have some sort of bank account that includes insurance coverage and forfeit the interest, if the banks were to create such types of accounts. Lets face it, the banks are making huge profits and could easily provide such schemes.

There are presently some insurance savings schemes available, but as I understand it, these are not accepted by Immigration. And perhaps the banks could provide other incentives, such as, the more funds we place into an account over prescribed periods, the more insurance coverage we get?

Good for the banks, good for the Thai economy and good for us. Everyone`s happy around.

There might be some good things to work with there, but what about those who qualify on the income requirement, and wouldn't choose to put anywhere near that kind of money in a Thai bank at any one time?

• Like 1

I have only accident insurance issued by Bangkok Bank. But I've never had a claim.

My bank manager says they are accepted without question at every major Thai hospital.

Has anyone ever claimed on a bank-issued accident insurance policy?

I have only accident insurance issued by Bangkok Bank. But I've never had a claim.

My bank manager says they are accepted without question at every major Thai hospital.

Has anyone ever claimed on a bank-issued accident insurance policy?

I don't know. Just try to cross any major street in Chiang Mai or Bangkok or Pattaya and you'll find out soon enough. :)

I, a farang, pay more tax than any of the Thais I know. It may not be as much as some but I'd guess it is more than the average.

Perhaps because the aforementioned farangs are also tax payers, probably at a much higher level than those those that it seeks to support...! When I lived in Taiwan, the system was open to all, essentially because everyone (nationals or otherwise) were required to pay taxes on all of their earnings.

Just to point out that all foreigners that have ever worked (and paid income tax) in Thailand joined the 300-500bht/month private health scheme already in operation. Once you have joined you can keep paying the premiums after your employment has ended. So the suggested scheme is pointless and already in operation at half the cost.

I'm always amazed at the general levels of ignorance amongst many foreigners living in Thailand.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Just to point out that all foreigners that have ever worked (and paid income tax) in Thailand joined the 300-500bht/month private health scheme already in operation. Once you have joined you can keep paying the premiums after your employment has ended. So the suggested scheme is pointless and already in operation at half the cost.

I'm always amazed at the general levels of ignorance amongst many foreigners living in Thailand.

All kidding aside, details would be appreciated. I'd gladly continue paying that even if I no longer live in Thailand, just on the outside chance my Quasi-Criminal US insurance company shafts me as happens to so many others. A plane ticket is cheaper than the first hour in a US hospital...

All kidding aside, details would be appreciated. I'd gladly continue paying that even if I no longer live in Thailand, just on the outside chance my Quasi-Criminal US insurance company shafts me as happens to so many others. A plane ticket is cheaper than the first hour in a US hospital...

Everyone who works 'full-time' in a Thai registered company or government job is given membership of "Bragan San Kom"

The company pays a premium based on the age they join, this premium is then the rate for their length of membership.

For example, someone under 25 cost 300bht/month, someone 35 cost 560bht/month.

They are issued with a card that states their assigned local hospital.

Once entered in the scheme, each year their employer is required to renew, if no longer employed they can agree to pay it themselves.

All employees employed legitimately in Thailand (foreigner or Thai) will get issued this policy (unless you choose to opt out), many foreigners do not understand they can pay after their employment has ended.

post-151798-0-55930400-1367398281_thumb.

This is a scan of a card, front and back, personal data removed (top line ID or WP number, second line name).

Part-time and casual staff are not included in this scheme.

As far as I know, once the first payment is made, you are in.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

local hospitals get about 3000baht a person a year for the 30baht scheme. I would be quite happy ro pay 3 times that and would think that is fair as it is helping the public hospital system treat its people better.

I am not happy about paying to support Mercedes and Ferrari.

Hmm not sure I would want to be taken to some of the hospitals that may be listed I will carry on paying for my private cover but the rest of your information is good stuff except I have lived here 10 years and never worked and I am 66 so fall though the cracks in this example.

Also not sure if many 60+ that have qualified for at some time by having worked here so that they can get to keep this card would be happy in waiting for hours in a gov hospital with every body sneezing all over you.

There might be some good things to work with there, but what about those who qualify on the income requirement, and wouldn't choose to put anywhere near that kind of money in a Thai bank at any one time?

That is also a point point.

But why should the Thais be concerned about the welfare of Westerners of little wealth or those who prefer not to keep bulk amounts of funds here? What benefit are they to Thailand?

It has to be something for something and not something in exchange for nothing.

Hmm not sure I would want to be taken to some of the hospitals that may be listed I will carry on paying for my private cover but the rest of your information is good stuff except I have lived here 10 years and never worked and I am 66 so fall though the cracks in this example.

Also not sure if many 60+ that have qualified for at some time by having worked here so that they can get to keep this card would be happy in waiting for hours in a gov hospital with every body sneezing all over you.
Beats the crap out of sitting at home suffering and perhaps dying because you can't afford treatment. Edited by impulse