93-Year Old Australian Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 4 Young Thai Children

webfact

93-year old Australian accused of sexually assaulting 4 young Thai children
Lindsay Murdoch and Am Sandford

THAILAND: -- A 93-year-old Australian man accused of raping four young Thai sisters in one of the worst child sex abuse cases investigated in Thailand is likely never to face justice.

Karl Joseph Kraus, a former railway worker from Sydney, wants a court to drop the charges because he says he is suffering from terminal prostate cancer.

“I’ll be dead,” Mr Kraus told Fairfax Media from a court cell in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai.

“Nobody helps me. This is terrible … they put me in jail when I was sick,” he said.

“I can’t walk but they still put me in prison.”

A lawyer acting for Mr Kraus is gathering evidence from doctors, which he says will lead to Chiang Mai court dismissing the charges on the basis his client is unfit to stand trial.

Mr Kraus, who attempted to flee to Burma last year, could be free by March 18, by when the court has agreed to examine his medical records. If convicted of the offences, Mr Kraus would face up to 20 years' jail.

Brought from jail to the court on Monday, Mr Kraus complained that “nobody helps me” and “I done nothing wrong.”

“I don’t know what to do,” he said.

But during his time at the court several people helped him, including two officials from the Australian embassy who brought him fresh muffins and juice.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/93year-old-australian-accused-of-child-rape-in-thailand-20130305-2fhhs.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2013-03-05

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let him rot....the pig should have to crawl into court.

So according to you he is guilty as charged - these are allegations. Does an allegation automatically mean guilt??

Let the courts decide his guilt or innocence before you start with the hang em high posts. After all one day a person may make an allegation against you. Would you want that allegation perceived as guilt?

If dcutman's post is correct, they have pictures of the guy posing with these kids. I am the first one to say it may be a setup when foreigners are charged, but pictures are absolutely damning. I have seen Thai guys and foreigners setup for a money grab, but with the pictures I have to say high 'em high.

• Like 1

i have dealt with a lot of peds before, and not one of them was innocent, not one.

had to deal with an old ped once, on his deathbed he was, and his two lovely daughters both nurses, whom he diddled, came to visit him, not for any compassionate reason, they wanted to see him die.

peds are so evil, their crimes dont soften with time, the victims have it with them forever.

• Like 1

So according to you he is guilty as charged - these are allegations. Does an allegation automatically mean guilt??

Let the courts decide his guilt or innocence before you start with the hang em high posts. After all one day a person may make an allegation against you. Would you want that allegation perceived as guilt?

If there are photos of him with naked children.. Hmm Not sure exactly what is innocent about that? Sure, it could be a conspiracy but it doesn't sound like he's claiming anything of the sorts.

legging it to Myannmar and posing au naturale with kiddies pretty much makes him look guilty wouldn't you say? Thai coppers are world famous for creating extra work for themselfs and going across borders for nothing. Assuming he is the dirty sex case he has been accused of I would be inclined to show him the exact compassion he showed the kids. Burn in hell scumbag.

!00% A paid up member of the hang em high brigade and proud of it!

Did you see these pictures that the police have alleged exist?

Were the pictures entered as evidence and his identity verified in court?

If not, then how can you be so certain the allegations are correct?

Where are these pictures that no one has seen? Maybe they exist and maybe the accused is indeed engaged in a lewd poses as alleged.

However, until someone verifies that the man is in the pictures and that there are any pictures, don't you think, one is entitled to be presumed innocent?

And to be honest, if I was accused of a horrific crime of which I was innocent, in consideration of how the justice system works in Thailand, I too would get out of Thailand as fast as I could and attempt to deal with the accusation from outside of Thailand. Unless one has a large amount of cash, it is very difficult to fight a serious case. I wouldn't want to rot in a Thai jail.

Iit would serve the public's best interest if there was a hearing on the admissability of the evidence and a determination of the man's involvement. In the meantime, the holding of someone of his age in prison serves no purpose. He is not a danger to society if he is required to maintain some bail conditions. And one cannot punish him, as he has been convicted of no crime. The odds are against the accused.

And to be honest, if I was accused of a horrific crime of which I was innocent, in consideration of how the justice system works in Thailand, I too would get out of Thailand as fast as I could and attempt to deal with the accusation from outside of Thailand.

If these guys don't do anything wrong, they don’t have to deal with the Thai justice system…simple as that. You don't just get accused of something you are innocent of (unless your name is Thaksin of course).

If you do some research it is mentioned nowhere that the guy didn't do anything wrong. He is basically making 2 points:

1. He is sick and will die soon therefore the court should release him.

2. He doesn't get the support he is expecting from the prison and from the Australian and German embassy.

Again, if you don't trust the justice system in Thailand, don't do anything that might get you into trouble.

Edited by Nickymaster

You don't have to do anything to get into trouble with the police.

Allegations of these sorts of crimes for this guy can be dealt with in Australia. What the Oz Govt should do is apply to have him extradited to Oz to stand trial. That takes the shoddy Thai justice system out of the equation.

They could be innocent photos, they may not. But on the face of it I would say it isn't looking good for him.

To the poster that implied that in his experience every ped that has been charged was guilty, well, not in my experience. Ever since Oz brought in criminal compensation there have been a number of allegations proven to be false. Some people were just after the money.

There are also some cases in the US where psychiatrists used hypnotism and prompted the young ones about sexual abuse. This has led to charges on a number of people but years later the young ones said it was all made up under pressure from authorities.

Those that were found guilty under those circumstances have their lives ruined forever as people will remember their guilt but not take any notice of the false evidence that led to their conviction being quashed.

yes,true, with australian government offering compensation for crimes against children there was an increase of allegations of sexual abuse, some were false some of course were not, unfortunately mud sticks.

but the convicted ones i have dealt with, guilty to the core

• Like 1