Thai Education Min Campaigning Against Alcohol In Schools

webfact

Education Min campaigning against alcohol in schools

BANGKOK, 29 April 2013 (NNT) – The Education Ministry has joined hands with the Thai Health Promotion Foundation in launching a campaign against alcohol consumption in schools, while expressing concerns over the rising number of new drinkers each year.

The Education Ministry has ordered all schools nationwide to promptly monitor alcohol drinking on campuses, saying the campaign has not been very successful as the number of new drinkers rises every year.

Thailand sees approximately 250,000 new drinkers each year, most whom are youngsters. Therefore, the ministry will, from now on, strictly enforce ban on alcohol among the youngsters.

The ministry has also urged all schools to be on the lookout for other vice including cigarettes, gambling, and drugs, as well as violence.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-29 footer_n.gif

Therefore, the ministry will, from now on, strictly enforce ban on alcohol among the youngsters.

"From now on" ??? Why haven't they been enforcing it before now?

They were always too pissed to take any notice ! too full of ear medicine that is, which of course is not banned from schools (or parliament).

Edited by GentlemanJim

doesnt surprise me at all, I have no idea what the legal age is here for drinking, I have asked my wife and neither does she. I asked her after her 12 y/o daughter started to drink her mothers mixers when I would make them. Seems that thai kids can do as they please, doesnt matter as long as they want to do it. Maybe thats why they donr learn in school.

• Like 1

Wasn't the 2-5 pm sales ban to fix just this?

That policy was just to inconvenience responsible adult drinkers who happen to want to buy alcohol at the most appropriate shopping times !

As for schools, students will get alcohol regardless of any bans. The MoE, I would have thought, has much greater educational issues to be dealing with.

"Thailand sees approximately 250,000 new drinkers each year, most whom are youngsters."

That must be the most stupid and fatuous statement I have ever read.

OF COURSE they will be youngsters that haven't drunk before, it is called growing up.

• Like 2

The Education Ministry has ordered all schools nationwide to promptly monitor alcohol drinking on campuses, saying the campaign has not been very successful as the number of new drinkers rises every year.

Oh good, another "order" from the Education Ministry...that will fix the problem....and it won't prevent the next Education Minister from issuing the same order a year from now.

So far, everything I have read in these education-related articles bears absolutely no dissimilarities with the adults in the student's environment.

Put more succinctly; these students are behaving exactly as the large percentage of adults in their society; hence, why bemoan making them something other than what they are? You spawned it, Thailand, so quit whining and get used to it. It is your country, and it is what you make of it, and I see that all too clearly.

You have created one hell of a mess and there is absolutely no way you'll ever rise above it all. You have created a system that exists only to perpetuate itself, and its sole intent towards surviving has no relationship to the kind of solutions that are needed. Solutions: Your culture forbids them. Your society resists them. Your religion takes a step back and accept approach to them; and, generally speaking, the family unit in your country does not demonstrate the courage and determination required to generate the behavior and thinking in their children that are vital to making a legitimate classroom to be productive and receptive to the curriculum.

But, it is your country. That is true.

• Like 2

Wasn't the 2-5 pm sales ban to fix just this?

Yes but lunch hour is normally 12 - 1 p.m so plenty of time to pop out and stock up for the afternoon lessons.

Don't give them ideas. We don't want a ban from 11am until 5pm!

Monkey see, monkey do. These kids are simply reacting to Thai society which has almost no social or moral ethics when dealing with the raising of children. As for drinking ,drugs ,gambling and violence during school sessions ,they should not need a reminder for some dork at the Ministry. The abolision of the above should be tantamount at school and severely monitored and punished. If the education providers do not know this then thay are not fit to be teaching.

• Like 1