Americans And Their Steaks

gennisis

Being bored last night,I watched the TLC channel which was featuring a tour of America and their steaks,

By the end of the program I was sickened !

Fat,overweight yanks stuffing their selves with (admittedly) delicious looking bloody big hunks of beef.

The presenter, very overweight,with his eyes rolling up into his skull,as he masticated his meat.

Hugh kilo plus T/bones,enough to feed a ...normal?...family served with potatoes and goodness knows what else....Chicken Fried Steak...probably 5,000 calories at a guess and served with greasy cream sauce....whole ribs 3" thick picked up with hands and chewed.

I have to admit that in my younger days back home, a 16 oz T/Bone was something to look forward to,but with advanced years my capability to eat large portions of anything have declined..

Rant over...apologies to Americans over here,who must be missing such "Delights",but are having less clogged arteries.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LOL. Congratulations, you made a post to rant about Americans eating unhealthy food.

Feel better now?

Now can you please inform where to find the steaks? My mouth is already watering from your OP and Im thinking about my next trip back...

Cmon Smokie 8oz? I feed my cats bigger pieces of meat for breakfast. In Texas they will chase you out of town for trying to order something like that. But don't fear, the chase is only 1-3 minutes long due to the locals collapsing into heaps with heart attacks, asthma, etc.

clap2.giflaugh.png

Ok now you have me salivating at the thought of a juicy steak with chips (fries) and pepper sauce. Yummmm

I only weigh 70kg so perhaps have one every night for a week to fatten up a bit. smile.png

• Like 1

The OP has obviously never enjoyed the 72 ounce "Eat it all and it's free" deal.

I think they had to change it to 96 ounces because they were giving so many away.

I must admit to trying many years ago in the 60"s a London eatery called 'Steak Encore'...4 courses,soup,fish,steak,dessert. Eat and finish it all and you get another free steak....sounded good ,so in I went.

The soup was in a very big pot...very good soup too,,,,but after that, my appetite was all gone....so no free steak for me.

Mind you.I did get a certificate from Harry Ramsden for finishing one of his gigantic haddock fillets once.clap2.gif

Edited by gennisis

LOL. Congratulations, you made a post to rant about Americans eating unhealthy food.

Feel better now?

Now can you please inform where to find the steaks? My mouth is already watering from your OP and Im thinking about my next trip back...

Cmon Smokie 8oz? I feed my cats bigger pieces of meat for breakfast. In Texas they will chase you out of town for trying to order something like that. But don't fear, the chase is only 1-3 minutes long due to the locals collapsing into heaps with heart attacks, asthma, etc.

The fact that it was probably unhealthy was not my point. My take on things was the massive GREED of the consumers.

The steaks looked and probably were delicious,but from the size of the guts of the consumers.I would guess they could all do with some moderation in their appetites.

Outside of some regions (Texas?) going out for a steakhouse meal is considered a rare special occasion type thing. It's not like most Americans are eating that way every day. Yes obesity is a huge problem in the USA but I don't think steakhouse meals are really a big reason for that. Also yes it is true customary American portions for most everything are large.

And dont forget all the extra hormones and antibiotics these animals are injected with to get your juicy USDA beef.

Why the EU banned US Beef: http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/hormones_meat.htm

Oh my dear Rab, nice try. Let me elucidate; yes, there is a very rocky relationship between US beef exporters and the EU due to its strict non-hormone requirements. However, they did strike a deal in 2009 to allow imports from the US of high quality beef that passes the tests.

In fact in just Jan and Feb this year the EU spent 30,000,000 dollars on US beef.

https://www.usmef.org/downloads/statistics/2013-02-beef-exports.pdf

Cheers, matey

p.s. How's the horsemeat?

Edited by kblaze
  • Like 1

And dont forget all the extra hormones and antibiotics these animals are injected with to get your juicy USDA beef.

Why the EU banned US Beef: http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/hormones_meat.htm

Oh my dear Rab, nice try. Let me elucidate; yes, there is a very rocky relationship between US beef exporters and the EU due to its strict non-hormone requirements. However, they did strike a deal in 2009 to allow imports from the US of high quality beef that passes the tests.

In fact in just Jan and Feb this year the EU spent 30,000,000 dollars on US beef.

Cheers, matey

Where did I say I was in the EU, so why would I care about horse meat? What I was pointing out was the lack of quality in US beef, I can not argue with your facts but do note it is for High Quality Beef, not what I imagine would be sold on a bulk daily basis to most Americans.

Cheers, matey

Where did I say I was in the EU, so why would I care about horse meat? What I was pointing out was the lack of quality in US beef, I can not argue with your facts but do note it is for High Quality Beef, not what I imagine would be sold on a bulk daily basis to most Americans.

I apologize for assuming that.

Mmmm, rib-eye, t-bone, skirt, flank, all good. Like anything, moderation is the key.

The show, "United States of Steaks", looks like a loser as does the host.

Interesting the OP wasn't "sickened" enough to watch the show to the end. ;)

Of course we all know that only Americans are obese.whistling.gif

article-2093449-11821288000005DC-987_636

I think this meal, at 6000 calories, has the steak meals beat!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093449/The-REALLY-big-breakfast-6-000-calorie-fry-slammed-health-campaigners--hit-diners.

P.S. The Mexicans have the Americans beat with regards to the most overweight population:

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/the-world-is-fat/

What's really sad is the percentage of children overweight. Look at the top 10.

Watches TV and judges 300 million people by that one show. Good thing for the British he didn't watch Big Brother.

Who would have guessed it was a Brit whinging. whistling.gif

Wonder what the rant will be about tomorrow? coffee1.gif

Back to the U.S. at the end of the month and I'm gonna get me one of those big juicy hunks 'o meat! Really, the steaks here are atrocious unless you have the $$$ to buy USDA, Aus, or Japanese beef.

It isn't the overall size of the steak that is important - it's the thickness. Why would anyone want to waste his time eating a steak that is only 1/2" thick?

Edited by Utley
  • Like 1

So difficult to find quality steak in LOS....Thai steak is buffalo meat more often than beef and not aged, NZ steak is cut too thin, very tough and I suspect not aged beef at all. Steak from OZ is good at times, but just as often as bad as NZ meat.

U.S.A. and Japan are the only beef consistently good enough to even be considered real steak. Both are very expensive if they can be found in LOS at all.

In the states, it's considered fast food, like Jack in the Box, but the best consistently good steak I have found in Thailand is at Sizzler. a good cut of good OZ beef.

I don't miss much about living in the USA, but I do miss a good Med. Rare T bone or a slab of rare Prime Rib with some horseradish, baked potato, vegies and a good bottle of red wine.

I should admit that I am a little bias. I'm an ex, real, American cowboy. Worked a few good cattle ranches as a youngster and love my USA beef., cowboy.gif

• Like 1

So difficult to find quality steak in LOS....Thai steak is buffalo meat more often than beef and not aged, NZ steak is cut too thin, very tough and I suspect not aged beef at all. Steak from OZ is good at times, but just as often as bad as NZ meat.

U.S.A. and Japan are the only beef consistently good enough to even be considered real steak. Both are very expensive if they can be found in LOS at all.

In the states, it's considered fast food, like Jack in the Box, but the best consistently good steak I have found in Thailand is at Sizzler. a good cut of good OZ beef.

I don't miss much about living in the USA, but I do miss a good Med. Rare T bone or a slab of rare Prime Rib with some horseradish, baked potato, vegies and a good bottle of red wine.

I should admit that I am a little bias. I'm an ex, real, American cowboy. Worked a few good cattle ranches as a youngster and love my USA beef., cowboy.gif

Don't forget Brazil and Argentina. Some of the best steaks I've ever had were in Argentina with a great bottle of malbec!!! Fantastic.

In the US, one of the best steaks I had was in Colorado at a restaurant that was owned by a rancher. Only grain fed beef, no chemicals. Incredible.

• Like 1

Watches TV and judges 300 million people by that one show. Good thing for the British he didn't watch Big Brother.

Who would have guessed it was a Brit whinging. whistling.gif

Wonder what the rant will be about tomorrow? coffee1.gif

Err. Actually I didn't say the OP was British at all....

Don't forget Brazil and Argentina. Some of the best steaks I've ever had were in Argentina with a great bottle of malbec!!! Fantastic.

In the US, one of the best steaks I had was in Colorado at a restaurant that was owned by a rancher. Only grain fed beef, no chemicals. Incredible.

Agree! I should have mentioned "grain fed" In US cattle are sent to feed lots to be fed nothing but grain for about a month before slaughter. It makes a huge difference in the taste of the meat.

Grass or hay fed beef taste like grass. I also worked on a few dairies when younger. whenever a cow had an accidental death it would be butchered and given to the workers. The meat always had a "green grassy" taste.

Grain, especially corn fed beef has the best flavor.

BTW Kilgore, I love the name...say hello to Kurt for me!cowboy.gif

I should add that I always steered ( pun?) away from South American beef. It is good beef, but the ranching methods are very environmentally unsound. Every year millions of acres of rainforest are clear-cut and then burned off ( referred to as slash and burn). The burning instantly released a lot of nutrients into the soil and produced lush growth of feed grass for the cattle. Unfortunately, after about two years, the nutrients are gone and the soil is useless to grow anything. This causes them to slash and burn more and more needed ( that's where a lot of our oxygen comes from) rainforest every year.

American fast food burgers, McDonalds, Jack in the Box etc. use beef almost exclusively form South America, it's cheap money wise, but environmentally way too expensive.

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

As I sit here digging into a tuna salad (no I am not gay), I can honestly say I just don't do steaks here in Thailand.

I think it's the weather, just too heavy. When I do beef it's usually a dish of many on the table, like a garlic-pepper beef, little scoop, thats about it.

But when I holiday in the states, then there is an 18oz rib eye at the steakhouse my Dad and I go to, and it's awesome.

Agreed, eating habits and abundance of overweight people in my home country is abhorrent.

I wonder if that vision is as disgusting as what I see on a daily basis;

Big fat pink sweaty british or australian piglike creatures sweating over a plastic table into their big bottle of chang and bowl of waterfall pork. Even the soi dogs are amused, they bark only at them probably because of their smell.

Real similar to what I see in the mirror every morning if you leave out the Chang and the bowl of pork....