Death Of U S Citizens In Thailand By Non-Natural Causes

webfact

Death of U.S. Citizens Abroad by Non-Natural Causes

Important Note: The information below should not be considered a statistically complete account of U.S. citizen deaths in foreign countries during the reporting period. Only those deaths reported to the Department of State and deaths that can be established as non-natural are included. Most American citizens who die abroad were resident abroad and surviving family members might not inform the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate of the death. The report may not include some deaths of U.S. military or U.S. government officials. Identifying information is omitted for privacy. The table excludes countries where, during the reporting period, no deaths met the above criteria.

Thailand Report - Death by Non-Natural Causes
(From 1-2012 To 12-2012)

12-20-2012 Rawai, Mueang Phuket, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

12-16-2012 A. Muang, Kamphaeng Phet, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Auto

12-08-2012 Prachathipat, Thanyaburi, Thailand Drug-Related

11-26-2012 Bangkok, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-23-2012 Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-19-2012 A. Wichianburi, Phetchabun, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

11-14-2012 A. Muang, Chiang Mai, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

09-10-2012 Prawet, Bangkok, Thailand Suicide

09-10-2012 Mueang Kanchanaburi, Kanchanaburi, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

09-03-2012 Kathu, Phuket, Thailand Suicide

08-13-2012 Chiang Mai, Thailand Other Accident

07-30-2012 Mueang, Udon Thani, Thailand Suicide

07-20-2012 Kathu, Phuket, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

06-24-2012 A. Hangdong , Chiang Mai, Thailand Other Accident

06-12-2012 Kathu, Phuket, Thailand Drowning

06-09-2012 Muang, Sakon Nakorn, Thailand Other Accident

05-30-2012 A. Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, Thailand Homicide

05-24-2012 Khlong Toei, Bangkok, Thailand Other Accident

04-21-2012 Hua Hin, Prachuap Khirikhan, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Motorcycle

04-20-2012 Koh Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand Drowning

04-15-2012 Muang, Nong Khai, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Auto

04-15-2012 Muang, Nong Khai, Thailand Vehicle Accident - Auto

04-10-2012 Chang Phuak, Chiang Mai, Thailand Other Accident

04-01-2012 Bang Lamung, Chonburi, Thailand Suicide

03-21-2012 Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai, Thailand Suicide

Source: http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/death/death_600.html?country=0

U.S. Department of State
-- travel.state.gov 2013-04-30

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As is often mentioned here, I wonder if this is statistically significantly compared to the number of U.S. citizens who live/vacation in Thailand. It does seem like something people planning to visit should be aware - especially the fact that vehicular deaths seem to be a large number of the deaths - hopefully, if people had this information - they would be more cautious before renting motorcycles and taking busses and vans.

• Like 1

All this proves is that some Americans can't ride motorbikes properly. If Americans moved to UK they'd buy a car, but here they buy a motorbike. That explains almost all the deaths. From what I've read, many of these deaths are because they were drunk and/or not wearing helmets. This is more about the type of people that get killed not that it's anything to do with Thailand. They should be grown up enough that they know they should take lessons before riding a bike, and also wear a helmet and not drive after drinking alcohol. Blame the Americans not the Thais.

In Bermuda, where foreigners can not rent cars, only motorbikes, the death rate among tourists is so high the government considers it to be a state secret and refuses to release the stats.

Americans are the majority tourist group and driving on the opposite side of the road is certainly a factor, especially at roundabouts.

• Like 1

Why no names? Surely it would be better to list the names so that people who read the list and know of omissions can notify the relevant authority?

I wonder how many Thai families are still picking up the pension payments years after their American benefactors death?.

• Like 1

Sure are a lot of vehicle accidents. Americans possibly forgetting which side of the road to drive on.

More likely they made the mistake of buying a bus ticket rather then flying.

Strange I don't see bus accident mentioned once in the list, but a lot of motorcycle accident.

You mean the motorcycles crashed into the bus the Americans were sitting in ?

from the OP

Most American citizens who die abroad were resident abroad and surviving family members might not inform the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate of the death. The report may not include some deaths of U.S. military or U.S. government officials. Identifying information is omitted for privacy.

Why no names? Surely it would be better to list the names so that people who read the list and know of omissions can notify the relevant authority?

I wonder how many Thai families are still picking up the pension payments years after their American benefactors death?.

What that has to do with the names been published on the open forum.

Since the list is compiled by the US departement of state. I assume they know the names.

• Like 1

Sure are a lot of vehicle accidents. Americans possibly forgetting which side of the road to drive on.

Interesting idea. Americans are driving a rover around on Mars right now, pretty hard to believe they cannot figure out which side of the road to drive on in Thailand......

I used to have a Rover.

• Like 1

As is often mentioned here, I wonder if this is statistically significantly compared to the number of U.S. citizens who live/vacation in Thailand. It does seem like something people planning to visit should be aware - especially the fact that vehicular deaths seem to be a large number of the deaths - hopefully, if people had this information - they would be more cautious before renting motorcycles and taking busses and vans.

yeah that is "safe"

Given number of American here riding bikes, 3 per month isn't exceptional.The number of Thais would be far higher, even per 1,000. I've been riding a bike for 10 years in Chiang Mai, I've never had any accidents, even close shaves are negligible, I always where a helmet, always pay attention, never ride more than 70km usually.

• Like 1

Virtual traveler: "Given number of American here riding bikes, 3 per month isn't exceptional.The number of Thais would be far higher, even per 1,000. I've been riding a bike for 10 years in Chiang Mai, I've never had any accidents, even close shaves are negligible, I always where a helmet, always pay attention, never ride more than 70km usually. "

The report is for a 1 year period and it shows 8 motorcycle accidents not 3 per month. Four happened in a 2 week period in November. BTW there were 4 in 2011 and 6 in 2010.

Edited by aguy30

Interesting to note that of the 26 motorcycle accidents listed, only one was in Bangkok. Seems the 'herd mentality' is a good thing in regards to riding in the city - don't stray from what everyone else is doing. You could conclude that being out in the provinces what with the lower population density is conducive to foolhardiness.

Tie this in with the stats from a previous thread that there were no(?) serious accidents reported in either Chonburi or Phuket over this past Songkran. Seems maybe there are unwritten rules that expats learn to follow in the major farang centers of Pattaya, Phuket and BKK... perhaps the network of whiteys allows them to clue in one another on how to carry one's self on the road here, or maybe avoid it altogether.

• Like 1