You Got Hurt By The Strong Baht, But Are You Ready For The Next Surprise…Inflation?

Essentials inflation, hidden by the trickery of selective statistics, should be a serious concern which ever country your in.

We look forward to your analytical paper showing the iniquities of the ONS.

The one country which was found to be cheating in their statistics and caught doing so was Greece, but the ONS? Baskets of goods used to calculate inflation are constantly reviewed. Many of those who whinge about statistics wouldn't know a median from a mean if one of them sat on their head and whistled Dixie.

I don't think you have to be a code breaker in advanced statistic, to feel that consumer inflation is higher than government CPI numbers. Argentina is reporting about 10% inflation, but true inflation is +20%. I for one also feel Thailand's inflation is higher than the official 3-4%........at least of the products I use.

Argentina actively suppresses accurate data. Thailand stats for inflation are put together by the Ministry of Commerce not the National Statistical Office. The only way to disprove is to get hold of the 'shopping baskets' used in each case and examine the data and assumptions used. One ongoing discussion re the UK ONS figures concerns the relevance of the basket constituent parts and their relative weighting.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

because inflation is very specific and based on personal factors (spending pattern/itmes) everybody who keeps records of spendings should know how inflation impacts him. no need for totally irrelevant discussions.

Well, one thing sure - it wont be their choice. It will be some f-tard bankers option.

If the bubble was allowed to pop in 2005, younger persons inheritence would be looking pretty decent a decade down the line. The current state of suspended animation only serves the wealthy and powerful. Larceny and fraud on a monumental.scale. Read Sheila Bairs book, listen to Liz Warren.

Seems to me the +55 crowd, really 60 up have had it really, really good in retrospect. Theyve enjoyed the best economies, pensions, low stress work environments and not subjected to a host of draconian work environment nonsense. Working class people could have simply lived in the same home, saved in govt fixed income and retired comfortably. They suck at the teet of govt and military pensions and healthcare.

What is worse is that the older cannot seem to screw the young people hard enough or fast enough. Look at the US congress or... Cypress.

The <55 crowd has been completely blindsided, now living in a new world order not only economically but socially - politically.

Older people moaning about needing more. Please! The baby boomers ruined the world and are continuing to do so.

Im just trying to run as far and as fast from the aftermath as I can.

Baby boomers - a generation of takers, schemers and fraudsters.

As a 60 up, I don't think you have a clue, really. I started on a pittance, the economy was rubbish, and I don't yet qualify for a pension, so where is this utopia you say I live in?

Yes we ruined the world, by having too many kids ( not me though ).

BTW, the last time I looked, not many of the bankers/ stockbrokers etc that ruined the financial system in 2007 were baby boomers- much younger than that.

You had a pittance? You don't know how lucky you were. In my day we couldn't afford a pittance. Anybody who had one was a hero in our neighbourhood. We were beaten to a pulp every morning and had to go foraging for a discarded member of the younger generation to exploit and ruin. Unfortunately most of them were in bed watching endless re-runs of 'So You Think You Can Dance' and playing Angry Birds on their mobiles. It was tough I tell you.....

and then the snow in winter. no shoes! barefoot 3 miles to and from school...tongue.png

And it was uphill both ways!

Essentials inflation, hidden by the trickery of selective statistics, should be a serious concern which ever country your in.

We look forward to your analytical paper showing the iniquities of the ONS.

The one country which was found to be cheating in their statistics and caught doing so was Greece, but the ONS? Baskets of goods used to calculate inflation are constantly reviewed. Many of those who whinge about statistics wouldn't know a median from a mean if one of them sat on their head and whistled Dixie.

I don't think you have to be a code breaker in advanced statistic, to feel that consumer inflation is higher than government CPI numbers. Argentina is reporting about 10% inflation, but true inflation is +20%. I for one also feel Thailand's inflation is higher than the official 3-4%........at least of the products I use.

Obviously its dependant on what's in the measures "basket" of goods. Energy and food would be essentials in my book while CPI and RPI include the price of new cars, consumer electronic etc which distorts the headline % down to practicaly meaningless.

Yeah this strong baht is sure scary...I hate the way it helps lower my electricity costs smile.png

From the "other paper";

"The fuel tariff (Ft) for electricity will be slashed by 9.8% or 5.12 satang per kilowatt-hour from May to August thanks to the appreciation of the baht and lower gas prices, says an energy regulator."

Inflation isn't rising and even at the worst time of the financial crisis it didn't touch 10%; take a look

If you wouldn't mind please explain because our electricity in Chiang Mai went up starting this month. How do you figure the price is lower?

I don't know your electricity situation. I just relayed mine. My elec went down last month, but this month who knows.

Given the choice I wonder which that age group would favour most, inheriting the accumulated welath of their parents or popping the housing buble and inheriting nothing, perhaps the complainers are simply people with poor parents, dunno.

Well, one thing sure - it wont be their choice. It will be some f-tard bankers option.

If the bubble was allowed to pop in 2005, younger persons inheritence would be looking pretty decent a decade down the line. The current state of suspended animation only serves the wealthy and powerful. Larceny and fraud on a monumental.scale. Read Sheila Bairs book, listen to Liz Warren.

Seems to me the +55 crowd, really 60 up have had it really, really good in retrospect. Theyve enjoyed the best economies, pensions, low stress work environments and not subjected to a host of draconian work environment nonsense. Working class people could have simply lived in the same home, saved in govt fixed income and retired comfortably. They suck at the teet of govt and military pensions and healthcare.

What is worse is that the older cannot seem to screw the young people hard enough or fast enough. Look at the US congress or... Cypress.

The <55 crowd has been completely blindsided, now living in a new world order not only economically but socially - politically.

Older people moaning about needing more. Please! The baby boomers ruined the world and are continuing to do so.

Im just trying to run as far and as fast from the aftermath as I can.

Baby boomers - a generation of takers, schemers and fraudsters.

As a 60 up, I don't think you have a clue, really. I started on a pittance, the economy was rubbish, and I don't yet qualify for a pension, so where is this utopia you say I live in?

Yes we ruined the world, by having too many kids ( not me though ).

BTW, the last time I looked, not many of the bankers/ stockbrokers etc that ruined the financial system in 2007 were baby boomers- much younger than that.

You had a pittance? You don't know how lucky you were. In my day we couldn't afford a pittance. Anybody who had one was a hero in our neighbourhood. We were beaten to a pulp every morning and had to go foraging for a discarded member of the younger generation to exploit and ruin. Unfortunately most of them were in bed watching endless re-runs of 'So You Think You Can Dance' and playing Angry Birds on their mobiles. It was tough I tell you.....

I was lucky though. We had a paper bag to cover our hole in the road that we lived in.

BTW, Monty Python would never be allowed these days- WAY too non PC for the losers that run modern media.

Cigarettes are cheap, beers not expensive, who cares about the rest?

I certainly dont care about cigarettes as I dont smoke, but beer that costs nearly GBP1 for a large can in a 7/11 seems very expensive to me. In Europe I was used to it costing half that price. Not that beer forms a very large part of my daily expenditure.

Half the price in Europe?

You must be from Southern Europe (Spain? Italy?) which is very different from Northwestern Europe.