You Got Hurt By The Strong Baht, But Are You Ready For The Next Surprise…Inflation?

Im seeing price rises in food. About 10% on processed foods in general. My dentist (Dental Hospital #49) raised clean and check 25% in one swoop. BTS fares in June to rise 5%. Cheap resty and sreet food is up 10-15%.

If your money was not created, if you are bringing in funds from US, UK and EU that money has been debased thru QE. Which is essentially has the same affect as inflation (money worth less/larger pool of money). QE might also in and of itself cause inflation as well.

Not much chance of goods (stuff) inflation but commodities??

Its all so complicated now and the financial data so much bs. Very difficult to see up from down.

BPB points to.dome wise housing purchases. Well, he bought some great property but who knows what will come of housing in EU. Lookbat Spain and Ireland. The US bubble is reinflating again and the mazters of the universe simply will not let it burst.

In Thailand, you have hot money, overheated and misaligned economy lacking transparancy, housing bubble, vast weallth tied up in black money, a withering export market which is going to lrad to trade imbalances, mismanaged agro policies.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given the choice I wonder which that age group would favour most, inheriting the accumulated welath of their parents or popping the housing buble and inheriting nothing, perhaps the complainers are simply people with poor parents, dunno.

Well, one thing sure - it wont be their choice. It will be some f-tard bankers option.

If the bubble was allowed to pop in 2005, younger persons inheritence would be looking pretty decent a decade down the line. The current state of suspended animation only serves the wealthy and powerful. Larceny and fraud on a monumental.scale. Read Sheila Bairs book, listen to Liz Warren.

Seems to me the +55 crowd, really 60 up have had it really, really good in retrospect. Theyve enjoyed the best economies, pensions, low stress work environments and not subjected to a host of draconian work environment nonsense. Working class people could have simply lived in the same home, saved in govt fixed income and retired comfortably. They suck at the teet of govt and military pensions and healthcare.

What is worse is that the older cannot seem to screw the young people hard enough or fast enough. Look at the US congress or... Cypress.

The <55 crowd has been completely blindsided, now living in a new world order not only economically but socially - politically.

Older people moaning about needing more. Please! The baby boomers ruined the world and are continuing to do so.

Im just trying to run as far and as fast from the aftermath as I can.

Baby boomers - a generation of takers, schemers and fraudsters.

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 2

Given the choice I wonder which that age group would favour most, inheriting the accumulated welath of their parents or popping the housing buble and inheriting nothing, perhaps the complainers are simply people with poor parents, dunno.

Well, one thing sure - it wont be their choice. It will be some f-tard bankers option.

If the bubble was allowed to pop in 2005, younger persons inheritence would be looking pretty decent a decade down the line. The current state of suspended animation only serves the wealthy and powerful. Larceny and fraud on a monumental.scale. Read Sheila Bairs book, listen to Liz Warren.

Seems to me the +55 crowd, really 60 up have had it really, really good in retrospect. Theyve enjoyed the best economies, pensions, low stress work environments and not subjected to a host of draconian work environment nonsense. Working class people could have simply lived in the same home, saved in govt fixed income and retired comfortably. They suck at the teet of govt and military pensions and healthcare.

What is worse is that the older cannot seem to screw the young people hard enough or fast enough. Look at the US congress or... Cypress.

The <55 crowd has been completely blindsided, now living in a new world order not only economically but socially - politically.

Older people moaning about needing more. Please! The baby boomers ruined the world and are continuing to do so.

When I was growing up it was normal to work hard, get married, buy a house and raise a family, eventually if we worked hard enough we would be able to pay off our mortgage and then retire on the proceeds of the various pension plans that we had paid into for forty years. That was the model I followed and I know many many other people did also, but then along comes a small group of people who say, you, you're a boomer, you were born between years X & Y so you are responsible for the woes of the younger generation, stop making excuses, get a life and get real, I say!

• Like 1

Over the past 40 odd years I’ve met numerous (into the hundreds) foreigners who have invested millions into Thailand via Property, Land,
Business. marriage etc ….I bet there are less than 10 of them who have made ANY money or are actually still here… so yes a great place to invest if you survive all the bumps on the road.

Personally I don’t care if the baht is 10 or 100 to the US/GBP, when it gets too difficult/expensive to stay here I will just move on…and that time is approaching at an accelerated pace, a developing 3rd World Country trying to be 1st World will fool some but not Me

Hi

I have never spoken on this site.

I find much valuable information but on this topic I would like to add something

in m opinion on the economic fundamentals (real) of the Thai economy the Thai baht shouls have WEAKEND.

Speaking to some people there is a syndical view-

Keep Baht strong to get money out of country until the inevitable happens.

Interesting view and is very plausible given the yellow vs red. Keep baht strong, retrenchment starts and the red supporters will get restless. When things settle down, Thailand will be cheaper again.

Over the past 40 odd years I’ve met numerous (into the hundreds) foreigners who have invested millions into Thailand via Property, Land,

Business. marriage etc ….I bet there are less than 10 of them who have made ANY money or are actually still here… so yes a great place to invest if you survive all the bumps on the road.

Personally I don’t care if the baht is 10 or 100 to the US/GBP, when it gets too difficult/expensive to stay here I will just move on…and that time is approaching at an accelerated pace, a developing 3rd World Country trying to be 1st World will fool some but not Me

Oh yes u do care but I do agree with u, just move on.

Yes my parents have got &lt;deleted&gt; all other than a small house for a lifetimes work, i am really ashamed of having poor parents.

Yes im just dying for them to pop off so i can inherit their slave box and share it with my siblings, youre bang on there id sooner 50K then my parents.

Anyway My father had 3 kids who didnt need to travel 6000 miles to get laid, despite your families wealth and superiority thats something your parents cant say.

PS I dont need to inherit a penny off anyone, or need the taxpayer to fund my lifestyle by propping up assets, thats also something you cant say.

For genius capitalists you lot do seem to need the state to make wealth .... I DONT!

• Like 1

When I was growing up it was normal to work hard, get married, buy a house and raise a family, eventually if we worked hard enough we would be able to pay off our mortgage and then retire on the proceeds of the various pension plans that we had paid into for forty years. That was the model I followed and I know many many other people did also, but then along comes a small group of people who say, you, you're a boomer, you were born between years X & Y so you are responsible for the woes of the younger generation, stop making excuses, get a life and get real, I say!

You didnt have unlimited un/semiskilled immigration to destroy your wages, globalisation and offshoring jobs by the millions, the green belt and NIMBY &lt;deleted&gt; who are against building anything from schools, solar energy plants, small housing estates etc..

You had free university education, plenty of decent jobs ... and you didnt have a government who will spend a trillion pound or 2 propping up failed banks and failed property investors like yourself.

But also some of that 2 trillion is to pay for unaffordable final salary public sector pensions your age group are currently scamming.

You also had huge wage inflation to pay the mortgage off, if you kept your job things couldnt have been easier.

If property was to the same wage ratio now as it was when you were young, id have 1.5 decent houses, at present im about 3/4 of the way to saving up for an ex council house! Oh yes ex council houses were given to your generation for next to nothing.

PS Do you fancy coming to do a 15 hour day door to door in the middle east and climbing around some badly built refinery?, or get onto a oil rig in the North Sea and do 12 hour days, or how about working everyday for 6 weeks in Saudi? Id love to get a life but im too busy working and saving to buy somewhere to live and give a free handout to a "hard working" boomer.

You havent got a clue.

• Like 1

You didnt have unlimited un/semiskilled immigration to destroy your wages, globalisation and offshoring jobs by the millions, the green belt and NIMBY &lt;deleted&gt; who are against building anything from schools, solar energy plants, small housing estates etc..

You had free university education, plenty of decent jobs ... and you didnt have a government who will spend a trillion pound or 2 propping up failed banks and failed property investors like yourself.

But also some of that 2 trillion is to pay for unaffordable final salary public sector pensions your age group are currently scamming.

You also had huge wage inflation to pay the mortgage off, if you kept your job things couldnt have been easier.

If property was to the same wage ratio now as it was when you were young, id have 1.5 decent houses, at present im about 3/4 of the way to saving up for an ex council house! Oh yes ex council houses were given to your generation for next to nothing.

PS Do you fancy coming to do a 15 hour day door to door in the middle east and climbing around some badly built refinery?, or get onto a oil rig in the North Sea and do 12 hour days, or how about working everyday for 6 weeks in Saudi? Id love to get a life but im too busy working and saving to buy somewhere to live and give a free handout to a "hard working" boomer.

You havent got a clue.

Every generation likes to think it"s unique in some way and for whatever rreason, younger generations seem mostly incapable of relating to the experiences of older generations, that was true when I was in my early twenties listening to my father speak and it's true today when you you and I converse. It's true that in my day we didn't have mass immigration, globalisation and offshoring, instead we had a different set of challenges that were unique to the day but just as difficult to deal with. We had a post war mentality, business that were still equippped and operated as at the industrial revolution a city scape that included lots of bombed buildings and a class structure that often meant that anyone who was unconnected had a struggle to get a decent job.

The ability to attend further education depended on your sucess at the 11+ and if you failed there was little chance of anything more than four years of secondary school before going to work in the pits or the woollen mills of the industrial north, if you were lucky enough to pass the 11+ and your parents earned more than GBP 4K per year you were means tested and had to pay for university! The world was only as big as you could see and getting a job most often depended on how well you could hand write an application letter, we had no laptops, cell phones, job agencies or means to make these tasks easier. Getting a mortgage at age 21 was next to impossible, young working people without sponsors, wealth or support were condemed to rent forever.

When I couldn't find work or I wanted something better that meant going to live in London some 200 miles South, that sounds like a small task but in the 1960's it was something only very few could manage because of the cost and the logistical challenges. Later, when I again wanted more, I moved to live and work in the US and that was almost unheard of but I wanted to get ahead, I worked for two dollars an hour unloading semi-trailers with migrants blacks in Detroit for twelve hours a day and then went home and did my job searches and my letter writing, after a while I found a better and more lucrative job. And so I repeated that process throughout my life whenever the need arose, I moved from the US to China because I saw opportunities and later back to the UK to help with Big Bang, going where the work was has been a feature of my life and doubtless of others, sitting back and complaining about this that and the other has not.

So in the early 1980's when I went to buy my first house in the UK I had to pay 16% interest to the bank although in later years that went down some but it took time and was never really cheap. Like most of my peer group and friends I never thought of buying a house to make a profit nor to rent out, all my life my house has been my home and I'd never enquired as to its worth until I needed to sell it, often, trying to buy one in the first place was a real struggle. But eventually I managed to get my head above water and I started pouring money into private pension schemes, only to find out later that the charges imposed by them were almost usary and that the only people who really benefited from them were the insurance companies and the people who sold the policies.

Finally, I've never asked the state for a single penny and the only benefits I've ever used is the NHS in the form of my doctors surgery, I have however started a business in the UK and paid substantial sums in taxes and provided a livelihood to my employees - inheritance, sadly there was very little.

I could ramble on with the details of my life and doubtless convince you that I have had it just as rough as you, if not worse, But what would be the point, it would only serve to prove that generations don't listen to each other and whereas yours like to whinge and complain about this that and the other, I am more used to finding ways around a particular problem and getting on with things.

• Like 1

Bring it on, my next house in the UK just got cheaper.

Post #7,

Also, put your money into assets that are more likely to rise with

inflation. I think property is a good bet at the moment, especially in

the UK and USA.

Me too, hence my intent to buy another property in the Uk this summer, anyone got any better ideas, I am all ears.

A Newspaper in the UK a few days ago was forcasting an average £10,000 rise in house prices for the coming year.But maybe they are running short of readers?

But who knows ? my last property in the UK was increasing in value £1000 a month for 2.5 years.

Don't get snagged by averages. Areas and types of property behave quite differently.

But of course! the North has always been much cheaper to buy a house than the South,and certain parts of the Country,right down to location can have major effects on house prices.

Is that a veiled dig on the North? 555

You had the ability to easily emigrate. You were a white guy willing to do a black mans work. Surely appealing to the white boss.

Try and find a job in Detroit now

25% of the US workforce in making less than us10 per hour, which does not meet poverty standards even for a single person.

Huge amounts of people in US and Europe have been shut out of the workplace. Due to age, nature of work changing, lack of political interest to keep jobs "at home" these jobs will never return. Yeah, many are dumbasses' But if you lose your job after 40 and do not have some stellar marketable skills, you are in very, very serious peril.

Education is very costly and a huge racket. It does not prepare students for vocation nor does it educate. It does though do a stellar job of placing young people in debt.

Everyone is being outsourced, even doctors and lawyers.

The US pension system is bullshit, but works great for the wealthy. Take maximum amnt that can be stashed per annum, per year. Ammortize by 25 years and try and live off that. Haha.

Congress has enacted numerous laws that not only clearly favor the wealthy but actually penalize the less well off. Top 1% more wealth than bottom 90% combined.

If what you say is true than why is 47% of the US without a bank account, and 80% of the country insolvent.

Not diminishing what you have done for yourself, but that was half century ago and the world is very different old man.

Really murky, self serving thinking. I somehow muddled thru, so can everyone else.

• Like 1

You had the ability to easily emigrate. You were a white guy willing to do a black mans work. Surely appealing to the white boss.

Try and find a job in Detroit now

25% of the US workforce in making less than us10 per hour, which does not meet poverty standards even for a single person.

Huge amounts of people in US and Europe have been shut out of the workplace. Due to age, nature of work changing, lack of political interest to keep jobs "at home" these jobs will never return. Yeah, many are dumbasses' But if you lose your job after 40 and do not have some stellar marketable skills, you are in very, very serious peril.

Education is very costly and a huge racket. It does not prepare students for vocation nor does it educate. It does though do a stellar job of placing young people in debt.

Everyone is being outsourced, even doctors and lawyers.

The US pension system is bullshit, but works great for the wealthy. Take maximum amnt that can be stashed per annum, per year. Ammortize by 25 years and try and live off that. Haha.

Congress has enacted numerous laws that not only clearly favor the wealthy but actually penalize the less well off. Top 1% more wealth than bottom 90% combined.

If what you say is true than why is 47% of the US without a bank account, and 80% of the country insolvent.

Not diminishing what you have done for yourself, but that was half century ago and the world is very different old man.

Really murky, self serving thinking. I somehow muddled thru, so can everyone else.

If your last line is your only take on what I wrote it's no wonder you're finding life difficult!

The take away messages are these:

- if you try and you keeop trying you can suceed,

- whinging and complaining serve no purpose, get on with things,

- think and act outside the box.

And if you think that a skinny six footer like me back then was an attrative proposition to a black boss when it came to unloading a semi-trailer of cases of anti-freeze, think again, it was only my persistence that got me the job, not exactly my build.

And yes, I wrote in part about some historic events that took place twenty thirty and forty years ago, but I kept working until I could no longer do so, ten years ago, and the rules never changed for me, even up to that point - if needs be I can repeat all of that today without a problem.

EDIT: I just re read your earlier post and had to comment: you accuse me of murky self serving thinking whilst you are the one complaining that people like me (you did generalise and group us all together) have ruined your life. You on the other hand say you are running away as far as possible from it all, that's constructibve and convenient dont you think, go hang out in Thailand and complain how the oldies have screwed things up for you, that's funny and pathetic at the same time.

Edited by chiang mai

To much speculations about a lots of things that we will not bee able to do anything about.

More important for us in the small village Dondang, Nonsonghong, Khonkaen. We have very slow internet and would like to get a faster connection, best would bee Broadband. Please soooonnee!

@watchcharacters reply to your post No 101

Is that a veiled dig on the North? 555

MAJIC replied:

Certainly not!,just stating facts, and for all you know I may come from the North?

I agree with your post. In my view the Yuppie get rich quick paper shufflers in the 70s, 80, and 90s,did far more damage and sucked up more wealth than ever the Boomers did,who worked very hard,and struggled to pay mortgages,working long hours,and eventually found their investments did give a reasonable return.They blame the boomers,because their own investments have not materialised,as much as they would like.In a word Jealousy!

• Like 1

I think the benefits class should be told to get on their bike and go to work instead of lounging about on benefits while all the poles et al do the work and send the money overseas. Break the multi generation benefits culture, the compensation culture the lack of self responsibility / reliance, tear up all the regulations stopping people sorting themselves out like building extra living space on your land for your family to live in or starting a business or street trading with endless red tape, licenses etc etc

Its not an intergenerational blame game its all about freedom from stifling government and taxes. Its the control freaks in Brussels, in Whitehall and the local council that need the boot, we are all getting ruined by thier waste and miss allocation of funds.

Then just say sorry but the Geneva convention is totaly out dated, written for a time of war in Europe, now with the easy of travel and global perspective most of the world could be classed as a refugee if only they had the chance to get here. Why discriminate to allow the ones able to pay and bribe thier way all the way over but not the others? Just say its finished no more immigrants except for those coming under a soundly based points system who want to either invest or have useful skills or learning. Withdraw from the EU and trade with the world.

Thailand is in much better shape even with the corruption skimming because they have a family based culture of self reliance and independence from the state. Food and survival knowledge is widespread in the countryside and its possible to live on very little money still. Wages are going up but the cost of labour is still cheap enough for everyone to have a job and plenty of staff / use of human instead of machines and self service is wide spread.

Its a shame the red shirts have begun a path of rot by example to look for handouts from the government and cause disruption to get what they want. Its this kind of dumb mentality of ever raising wages and regulations etc that has lead to machines taking over from humans in the west and the cost of living raising so much that taking care of the elderly and unemployed is bankrupting the many nations. Fingers crossed they do not copy this model exactly but I think its certain there will be inflation over the coming decades.

My plan to deal with the inflation is property rental investments + Thai land capital investment + a residence with enough land and water to be largely self sufficient and produce tradable goods/ food which will always be in demand.

Peace

• Like 1

There is a particular strain of flu in amongst some of the younger guys which is a constant complaint about their lives being ruined by someone else. Dig deep enough however and you always find without exception that there was some screw-up at school/college and they have been forever catching up and feeling sorry for themselves at the iniquity of a situation totally caused by themselves. Raging against the older generation/immigration/Uncle Tom Cobbley and all, is just one big coverup to sustain the constant wheedling and self-justification. Tonight at Lan Kwai Fong in Hong Kong there will be thousands of young expats from the USA/Europe/Aussieland. Same generation as our miserable friend and maybe even younger. But happier. Seriously, stop it and pull yourself together. It is self-defeating and there is no mileage in it.

Edited by yoshiwara
  • Like 2

Yeah this strong baht is sure scary...I hate the way it helps lower my electricity costs smile.png

From the "other paper";

"The fuel tariff (Ft) for electricity will be slashed by 9.8% or 5.12 satang per kilowatt-hour from May to August thanks to the appreciation of the baht and lower gas prices, says an energy regulator."

Inflation isn't rising and even at the worst time of the financial crisis it didn't touch 10%; take a look

If you wouldn't mind please explain because our electricity in Chiang Mai went up starting this month. How do you figure the price is lower?

My electric in UK is up well over 30%

The pound is down about 30% against the bht

The the cost of electric in Thailand has risen more slowly in line with actual inflation. While the UZk has seen massive jumps due to the QE etc

Simple - if the bht was weaker inflation would be higher than it is currently

Yeah this strong baht is sure scary...I hate the way it helps lower my electricity costs smile.png

From the "other paper";

"The fuel tariff (Ft) for electricity will be slashed by 9.8% or 5.12 satang per kilowatt-hour from May to August thanks to the appreciation of the baht and lower gas prices, says an energy regulator."

Inflation isn't rising and even at the worst time of the financial crisis it didn't touch 10%; take a look

From the "other paper";

???????? My wife just told me the price of electricity has INCREASED, and my bill was a lot more than the previous month.

Apologies for the messed up post, but something strange is going on with the quote function, and I can't fix it.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

As a 60 up, I don't think you have a clue, really. I started on a pittance, the economy was rubbish, and I don't yet qualify for a pension, so where is this utopia you say I live in?

Yes we ruined the world, by having too many kids ( not me though ).

BTW, the last time I looked, not many of the bankers/ stockbrokers etc that ruined the financial system in 2007 were baby boomers- much younger than that.

• Like 2

As a 60 up, I don't think you have a clue, really. I started on a pittance, the economy was rubbish, and I don't yet qualify for a pension, so where is this utopia you say I live in?

BTW, the last time I looked, not many of the bankers/ stockbrokers etc that ruined the financial system in 2007 were baby boomers- much younger than that.

You had a pittance? You don't know how lucky you were. In my day we couldn't afford a pittance. Anybody who had one was a hero in our neighbourhood. We were beaten to a pulp every morning and had to go foraging for a discarded member of the younger generation to exploit and ruin. Unfortunately most of them were in bed watching endless re-runs of 'So You Think You Can Dance' and playing Angry Birds on their mobiles. It was tough I tell you.....
  • Like 1

"""""

Five million families in Britain are approaching financial "breaking point" and struggling to pay for food, according to research.

One in five households said their monthly incomes would not stretch to cover all of their food costs in April and they had to use some form of borrowing such as a credit card, overdraft or loan, or plunder their savings instead, consumer group Which? found.

Which? said this would equate to five million families if the findings were projected across the UK.

The findings provide an indication of the numbers of people who are struggling, despite official figures showing last week that personal insolvencies have fallen to their lowest level in five years.

The group who could not cover their food bills from their income alone was largely made up of low-income households earning less than £21,000 a year and squeezed 30 to 49-year-olds, many of whom had children.

Some 82% of these people said that they were worried about food prices and 57% were finding it "difficult to cope" on their current income.

People in this group were also more likely to be worried about their level of debt and 74% of them described economy as "poor".

Which? executive director Richard Lloyd said: "Our tracker shows that many households are stretched to their financial breaking point, with rising food prices one of the top worries for squeezed consumers.

"It's simply shocking that so many people need to use savings or credit to pay for essentials like food."

""""

-sky news app.

Essentials inflation, hidden by the trickery of selective statistics, should be a serious concern which ever country your in.

Essentials inflation, hidden by the trickery of selective statistics, should be a serious concern which ever country your in.

We look forward to your analytical paper showing the iniquities of the ONS.

The one country which was found to be cheating in their statistics and caught doing so was Greece, but the ONS? Baskets of goods used to calculate inflation are constantly reviewed. Many of those who whinge about statistics wouldn't know a median from a mean if one of them sat on their head and whistled Dixie.

Edited by yoshiwara

We look forward to your analytical paper showing the iniquities of the ONS.

The one country which was found to be cheating in their statistics and caught doing so was Greece, but the ONS? Baskets of goods used to calculate inflation are constantly reviewed. Many of those who whinge about statistics wouldn't know a median from a mean if one of them sat on their head and whistled Dixie.

I don't think you have to be a code breaker in advanced statistic, to feel that consumer inflation is higher than government CPI numbers. Argentina is reporting about 10% inflation, but true inflation is +20%. I for one also feel Thailand's inflation is higher than the official 3-4%........at least of the products I use.

You had a pittance? You don't know how lucky you were. In my day we couldn't afford a pittance. Anybody who had one was a hero in our neighbourhood. We were beaten to a pulp every morning and had to go foraging for a discarded member of the younger generation to exploit and ruin. Unfortunately most of them were in bed watching endless re-runs of 'So You Think You Can Dance' and playing Angry Birds on their mobiles. It was tough I tell you.....

and then the snow in winter. no shoes! barefoot 3 miles to and from school...tongue.png