Old Expat Problem.....maybe New Solution

Gonzo the Face

Anyone who forks out on luxuries such as a house or a car for the little lady takes the risk of separation and usually its inevitable.

so I dont have any sympathy with you lot.

The answer; if she cant afford it, you dont buy it.....if she thinks she can afford it, let the bank give her a mortgage.

Thats how I play it and it works, absolutely no freebies;...after 2 divorces in the West you tend to learn how not to make the same mistakes again.

The issue is the guy tends to walk away where as if he fought for what he bought he would get AT LEAST half back, I have several friends that have done even better than that but of course you have to fight for it and go through the legal process.

An insufruct is the best option of them all unless your living in the village then best get out anyway else your toast but if in CM then you have the right to live there for however long you wish 10-20-40 years or even till your death (depending on how you set it up) hell you could even throw here out and rent it out and keep the money.

I purchased a house under that deal but in reality I am happy to walk away since it will go to my kids anyway.

Anyone who forks out on luxuries such as a house or a car for the little lady takes the risk of separation and usually its inevitable.

The answer; if she cant afford it, you dont buy it.....if she thinks she can afford it, let the bank give her a mortgage.

Thats how I play it and it works, absolutely no freebies;...after 2 divorces in the West you tend to learn how not to make the same mistakes again.

The issue is the guy tends to walk away where as if he fought for what he bought he would get AT LEAST half back, I have several friends that have done even better than that but of course you have to fight for it and go through the legal process.

An insufruct is the best option of them all unless your living in the village then best get out anyway else your toast but if in CM then you have the right to live there for however long you wish 10-20-40 years or even till your death (depending on how you set it up) hell you could even throw here out and rent it out and keep the money.

I purchased a house under that deal but in reality I am happy to walk away since it will go to my kids anyway.

I have a friend who married a Thai woman, purchased land in her name, and then built a home on the land. It was his money that bought the land and built the home. About two years go by and they get divorced. He still cared for her and just let her live in the home. A few years go by and he would like to sell the home and get his money back. They went to court and a Thai judge awarded her the home in is entirety.

In my opinion, the rule of law for foreigners in Thailand, is shaky at best. Thailand is a wonderful country to retire to as long as you avoid the above mentioned situation. The Thai lady is a business woman and not a bar girl.

If I purchased land or anything else in someones else's name, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I'm sure there are some Thai Visa members who have purchased land in a Thai's name and then built a home on it. Good luck with that one.

I have a friend who married a Thai woman, purchased land in her name, and then built a home on the land. It was his money that bought the land and built the home. About two years go by and they get divorced. He still cared for her and just let her live in the home. A few years go by and he would like to sell the home and get his money back. They went to court and a Thai judge awarded her the home in is entirety.

In my opinion, the rule of law for foreigners in Thailand, is shaky at best. Thailand is a wonderful country to retire to as long as you avoid the above mentioned situation. The Thai lady is a business woman and not a bar girl.

If I purchased land or anything else in someones else's name, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I'm sure there are some Thai Visa members who have purchased land in a Thai's name and then built a home on it. Good luck with that one.

Thanks for the good wishes CMN.

I have bought 3 lots of land and built 2 houses.

Have sold 2 without issue also.

Actually only issue was the profit amount and not having to pay taxes on it, an issue cos I like it so much.

• 3 months later...

Dug this topic back up because container based housing was discussed. Came across this hotel which shows a very nice design that involves containers. (Though, it looks like MAJOR structural work was done, keeping the conrainers more like a design feature than a structural feature; structurally a lot of steel seems to be involved, especially looking at teh way the upstairs container is cantilevered.

http://www.sleepboxthailand.com/

slide1.jpg

post-64232-0-47972700-1378290575_thumb.j post-64232-0-77291700-1378290568_thumb.j post-64232-0-26274600-1378290591_thumb.j

( Needless to say, this is not something you just load on a truck and move. wink.png I think that applies to any structure that uses containers but also needs to be livable.)

As an aside, this is another example of the exciting stuff that happens in Chiang Mai (and Thailand) right now in architecture. The old wisdoms on everything being a concrete shoebox will soon need revision, if not already.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

re

s topic back up because container based housing was discussed. Came across this hotel which shows a very nice design that involves containers

here ya go !

its on the left just before the gates onto

the base on wing 41 road from suthep road

end smile.png

dave2

post-42592-0-98926700-1378293445_thumb.j

post-42592-0-66693400-1378293514_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks like that whole mini-mall area there is having problems and can't rent the spaces. Some little business have already come and gone.

Can't imagine anyone would actually sleep in those mini size rail cars. They do have A/C but the sound of the airplanes going overhead every few minutes...not much rest.

LOL just looked at the room prices....come on... Also doesn't look nearly as nice in reality as the website as the photos are heavily Photoshopped.

Edited by elektrified

Sounds like a statement that would be made by a farang that has no money to begin with.. So he takes on the tough guy role.

re

s topic back up because container based housing was discussed. Came across this hotel which shows a very nice design that involves containers

here ya go !

end smile.png

dave2

That's a different place; and one that looks like containers have been used in a more structural way. So would be easier to move.

re

here ya go !

end smile.png

dave2

That's a different place; and one that looks like containers have been used in a more structural way. So would be easier to move.

You are right. Didn't realize there was another.

Here's an idea for those guys not sure, RENT!

But I think in the kind of scenario where a lucky lady were likely to nick the house, she would not put up with the indignity of being with a bloke with a house on wheels, Winnebago or no. I like the teak house from Bangkok idea, or one of those Shera/Conwood places for 350k ish. if it goes tits-up, unbolt it and truck it away, or just drop a fish in the insulation and walk. wink.png

38354203.jpg

Back in our hippie days, we used to build nice livable spaces inside old school buses. I don't know how happy I'd be in one these days, needing a bit more room to spread out, but for someone used to living in a studio apartment or a small one-bedroom place, a converted bus might just fit the bill very well. And when it's time to move on, just re-install the driver's seat, turn the key, and go!

Right on man! Back in the early 70's every time one of those converted school buses passed me I would just stare in envy thinking could anything be more groovy than calling that home.