King Willem-Alexander Takes Dutch Throne

webfact

King Willem-Alexander takes Dutch throne
By Jan Hennop

AMSTERDAM (AFP) — Dutch Crown Prince Willem-Alexander became Europe's youngest monarch on Tuesday after his mother, Queen Beatrix, abdicated and his country hailed the avowedly 21st-century king with a massive, orange-hued party.

"I Queen Beatrix... abdicate in favour of my son Willem-Alexander," the act said, as read out before the signing that was broadcast live from the Amsterdam palace.

The queen shed a tear on arrival, and the act was then witnessed by Willem-Alexander, his Argentine-born Queen Maxima and members of the government.

A cry went up from the 25,000 crowd in the Dam, the main square opposite the palace where the signing was shown on giant screens.

"Thank you Bea", they shouted using her affectionate nickname.

The king and queen's three daughters, including their eldest, now Princess of Orange Catharina-Amalia, 9, attended the ceremony, wearing identical yellow and white dresses.

Willem-Alexander, 46, is the first Dutch king since 1890 and the first of a new wave of relatively youthful European monarchs, with future kings and queens, including Britain's Prince Charles, attending.

Amsterdam's population is set to double with at least 800,000 visitors flooding the city's streets and canals as Beatrix, 75, ended her 33-year reign.

Willem-Alexander will now be sworn in rather than crowned at deconsecrated church Nieuwe Kerk, a stone's throw from the palace, before a joint session of the houses of parliament.

A who's who of royals-in-waiting, including Britain's Prince Charles, Spain's Prince Felipe and Japan's Prince Naruhito and his wife, Crown Princess Masako, are attending the ceremony.

Princess Masako is on her first trip abroad in nearly seven years, while Prince Charles also attended Beatrix's enthronement in 1980.

Dam Square, which lies opposite the palace and can hold 25,000 people, was packed with wellwishers early in the day, all hoping to catch a glimpse of King Willem-Alexander and his glamorous Argentine-born Queen Maxima, 41.

Some people spent the night on Amsterdam's main square to ensure having a good view of the royal balcony, while partygoers from across the Netherlands descended on the capital, many carrying Dutch flags.

"We've been here for several hours, we wanted to be sure to have a good place to see them appear on the balcony," said Edith, 22, who sat with two friends on a large piece of cardboard on Dam Square since 5:00 am.

Someone else waved an Argentine flag printed with: "Thank you the Netherlands for loving and trusting Maxima."

Over 10,000 police have been deployed in Amsterdam, and bomb-sniffing dogs carried out last-minute security checks for the expected 25,000 orange-clad crown on Dam Square.

Police said that they had arrested 70 people since Monday.

Authorities have closed off Amsterdam airspace to civilian aircraft for three days and issued strict orders prohibiting the use of drones, with rooftop snipers keeping a watchful eye.

Beatrix, 75, bade farewell to the nation in her role as queen in a televised address to the nation late Monday, before becoming a mere princess again.

"Not power, nor personal will, nor hereditary authority, but only the will to serve the community can give substance to a contemporary monarchy," said an emotional Beatrix.

Willem-Alexander is well-prepared for the task ahead of him and will stand above party and group interests, she said.

The monarchy is popular in the Netherlands, but some question the cost of the royal household and republicans are seeking to get the king's 825,000 euro (million-dollar) tax-free salary reduced.

While her pre-recorded speech was being broadcast, Beatrix attended a sumptuous gala dinner at the city's landmark Rijksmuseum on Monday evening, attended by top royals from around the world.

Queen Maxima wore a Valentino dress to the dinner that she had previously worn in 2008. Dutch media said that this was a deliberate move to reduce the royal family's image of extravagance in times of economic belt-tightening.

While Beatrix was known for her formal court, Willem-Alexander has already said that he will not be a "protocol fetishist".

Beatrix's enthronement in 1980 was marred by violent protests and running street battles over a housing crisis that left the city looking like a war zone.

Anti-royalists this time have been allotted six locations in Amsterdam to stage protests. But only one has been booked by Republicans planning playful protests, including by wearing white.

Preparations for the day have been overshadowed by a rancorous debate about the event's official song, known as the Koningslied, which many considered ill-fitting, with its mix of traditional and rap music.

The nation will now sing the Koningslied as one on Tuesday evening, just before the royal family heads off on a water pageant behind Amsterdam's central train station.

Maxima is largely responsible for having made her husband popular after an allegedly boozy youth which earned him the nickname "Prince Pils".

Ever smiling, she has mastered the Dutch language and even taken a charity swim in Amsterdam's canals, endearing herself further in a country that expects their royals to be at once normal and regal.

Speaking ahead of the enthronement, Willem-Alexander said that "people can address me as they wish because then they can feel comfortable."

He stressed he wanted to "be a king that can bring society together, representative and encouraging in the 21st century".

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-04-30

Princess Beatrix presents new Dutch king

30205131-01_big.jpg

AMSTERDAM: -- Princess Beatrix presented the Netherlands' first male monarch in 122 years to the Dutch people Tuesday, moments after abdicating the throne.

"I am happy and thankful to present to you the new king - King Willem-Alexander," an emotional Beatrix said of her eldest son, as they appeared on the balcony of the Royal Palace.

Willem-Alexander told her: "Dear mother, today you parted from the kingship, after 33 moving and animated years for which we are intensely, intensely grateful to you."

He added: "I would like to wholeheartedly thank you all on Dam Square in Amsterdam, throughout the entire Netherlands and also the Caribbean parts of the monarchy, for the support and trust we received. Thank you."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-30

A quick check shows that your translation is correct, however, lets remember that English is the only language permitted (except Thai in the Thai language forum).

On this special day for the Dutch people, I think we can make an exception.

Did they refer to Prince Charles as 'relatively youthful'? Maybe reintroduced lese-majesty in UK as well.

Dont EVEN go there, mate.

Today is a happy day and Alex has been crowned King.

Edited by Dancealot

I support a nation's right to self determination but as an American I'm bewildered as to why working-class citizens would choose to have an entrenched, familial bureaucracy as the titular head of their country.

Monarchies are a relic of a brutal past. My guess is that at some point in the future they will be no more.

• Like 1

I support a nation's right to self determination but as an American I'm bewildered as to why working-class citizens would choose to have an entrenched, familial bureaucracy as the titular head of their country.

Monarchies are a relic of a brutal past. My guess is that at some point in the future they will be no more.

You may want to check up on that. European Constitutional Monarchies are amongst the least corrupt nations on the planet.

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

Did they refer to Prince Charles as 'relatively youthful'? Maybe reintroduced lese-majesty in UK as well.

The Dutch Queen felt her son mature enough for the job. My Queen (and the majority of UK & NI people I suspect.) Don't think Charles is ready. My money is on King William

• Like 1

Fair point, but on the other hand, they don't have more national flags per square mile than people. A different symbol of the country, that's all.

BTW, there is at least one king in America. The last one of Rwanda. He's on your welfare.

Edited by Potosi

A post has been deleted. Please remember that Thai laws about the monarchy extend to other monarchs around the world.

One post with references to the Thai Monarchy has been deleted.

Added:

Links to the BKK Post are not permitted. Neither is discussion of moderation in the open forum. See the rules.

On the crowning picture with King Willem Alexander and all the vips you see that everybody wear the sash from the right side to the left.

Why is it that the crown prince of Thailand and his sister Chakkri wear the sash from the left to the right?

isaanpaul

Edited by isaanpaul

I was just wondering, that the Thai media took this as a chance to call the new Dutch King a former playboy and cited this and that about whatever failures he may have done in the past. Would they dare to apreciate the same freedom of speech in their own country???

You obviously do not know what you are talking about!

The US 'democracy' and presidency is ruled by money and money alone. The Dutch people trust their Royal family a LOT more than americans trust their presidents.