Bangkok Prepares For Rainy Season

webfact

step 1. move your belonging to the second floor

step 2. buy a boat

whistling.gifclap2.gif

Step 3. learn to swim

If all else fails advertise Bangkok as a tourist destination like:

"And yes just like Kakadu National Park" we too have alligators and crocodiles swimming in the river and oh don't forget the snakes and scorpions and feces etc,, you know my drift.

Step 1, get on an aeroplane quite soon

Step 2, Get off plane after arriving at a European destination.

Step 3, Late May -October, commiserate with friends in Thailand via Skype

Step 4, in November start your return journey and arrive to nice cool weather.

I just works like that for us, follow the sun.....

Edited by laislica

I can't believe this is an official statement as there are none of the usual brave words of re-assurance such as " vigorous action ", " all necessary steps ", " fighting / combating the problem " but maybe they are distracted by deciding on suitable excuses if it goes pear shaped again

Don't forget "all appropriate 'measures' are being taken." Thais are habitually "measuring" and taking measures to ensure.

To be rapidly followed a period of "mulling" what to do, then a rapid period of "slamming" each other after the event, and then eventually people will politely be "urged" to do something, at which point a half baked solution will be made

Don't forget the "setting up a committee" stage of the process, and asking it to report back after the story has been long forgotten.

They haven't mentioned the 'water pushers'...hope they've all been serviced and ready to go whistling.gif

I keep on reading posts ridiculing the idea of water pushers or boats.

Try this. If you have a river 100 meters wide and 5 meters deep and the water is flowing at 75,000 M3/minute, how much faster will 10,000,000 acre feet of water drain if you put 10,000 HP of boat propellers into the flow?

If you can answer that very simple hydrodynamic problem, feel free to comment on the validity of using water pushers.

K. Impulse, I am totally unable to answer that "simple hydrodynamic problem" and would seem the TV pro's haven't logged on as yet. And, as I am not commenting on the "validity of using water pushers" I am curious as he*l what the answer is. Is this gonna' be a "stay-tuned" or will you provide the conclusion to this "cliff-hanger"? Anything that could prove K. Plodprasop correct will boggle the mind. Really, I'd like to know.

I can still see plenty of water hyacinth. I guess I must only be able to view the 41.05% not yet cleared! blink.png

Maybe the plants in your canal missed the memo telling them to stop growing until after the rainy season...

I suspect the BKK administration could have a few problems with clearing the Klongs as it came out during the recent election that the Govt has control of a fair proportion of the Klongs where work should be taking place.

Despite the promises to work seamlessly with the new administration after the election the Govt now seems to have its hands full with other things and may just not be doing its share of the work.

Of course then again it may just have completed its share.

However if there is flooding it will obviously be the fault of the BKK administration as they are aligned with the Dems.

I think those who have no idea of the science of weather forecasting should refrain from posting on topics regarding the weather.

Let me guess, the plan, lets all go down the Wat and pray it doesnt rain a lot or it wont rain again badly for another 50 years, lets spend the money on us.

Water hyacinth clearing? Dredging? I drive past dozens of canals daily from Bangkapi to Sukhumvit and have never seen them do it. I just walked to our local canal and it is full of water hyacinth. Never seen it so clogged.

58.95%smile.png

Well, I will be sure to come back to this thread if they add to the 0% I have seen so far

They haven't mentioned the 'water pushers'...hope they've all been serviced and ready to go whistling.gif

Try this. If you have a river 100 meters wide and 5 meters deep and the water is flowing at 75,000 M3/minute, how much faster will 10,000,000 acre feet of water drain if you put 10,000 HP of boat propellers into the flow?

If you can answer that very simple hydrodynamic problem, feel free to comment on the validity of using water pushers.

If you push a table across the floor, it's eventually going to hit a wall and stop moving.

When the pumps are only pushing 1% of the water, the water that is being pushed will eventually slow down to the speed of the 99%. The water is moving at the speed it is because that is all the waterway can handle. If you push the water faster at one point, all it is going to do is raise the level of the water a bit further downstream. Now if it's already flooding, the last thing you want to do is make the flood worse.

• Like 1

With heavy downpours of up to 220 millimetres expected from May to July, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday called a meeting to hash out a flood prevention and mitigation plan.

I'm quite dumbstruck about this . . . It is now May and they called a meeting to 'hash' out a plan . . . well, I guess yesterday was April so they did it a month in advance.

• Like 1

The ideal time for the coup when people are off the streets due to rain... but I reckon August or September - the two wettest months. But really - the rainy season has yet to start after only a couple of minor showers so far. Average rainfall below.

May 190.5 mm

Jun 152.4 mm

Jul 157.5 mm

Aug 188.0 mm

Sep 320.0 mm

Why did you omit October?

Sep. & Oct. are generally the wettest months.

I mean, October is the peak of the rainy season indeed... Rainy season, is also the month in which you involuntarily waste a lot of money, because of wasting gas from being in the traffic jam,... possible damages of infrastructure, or emergency planning, possible accidents, blackouts,... you name it...

If you push a table across the floor, it's eventually going to hit a wall and stop moving.

When the pumps are only pushing 1% of the water, the water that is being pushed will eventually slow down to the speed of the 99%. The water is moving at the speed it is because that is all the waterway can handle. If you push the water faster at one point, all it is going to do is raise the level of the water a bit further downstream. Now if it's already flooding, the last thing you want to do is make the flood worse.

...is the correct answer.

The Chaophraya is a surprisingly deep channel and having these 'water pushers' moving the top meter or so of water doesn't make any difference whatsoever; the bottom +50m-80m is still moving along at comparatively glacial rates. Ultimately, it's how quickly the mass of river water drains into the gulf which is important. As we learned during 'the flood that never was', the tides in the Gulf of Thailand can make the river back up quite markedly.

I think the authorities should invest in technology that limits the primary cause of tidal motion and if that involves the special black searchlight that blocks out the moon (if you can't see it, it doesn't exist), so be it.

• Like 1

...is the correct answer.

The Chaophraya is a surprisingly deep channel and having these 'water pushers' moving the top meter or so of water doesn't make any difference whatsoever; the bottom +50m-80m is still moving along at comparatively glacial rates. Ultimately, it's how quickly the mass of river water drains into the gulf which is important. As we learned during 'the flood that never was', the tides in the Gulf of Thailand can make the river back up quite markedly.

I think the authorities should invest in technology that limits the primary cause of tidal motion and if that involves the special black searchlight that blocks out the moon (if you can't see it, it doesn't exist), so be it.

I'd suggest both of you refrain from commenting on the efficacy of water pushers if that's your answer.

I suspect the BKK administration could have a few problems with clearing the Klongs as it came out during the recent election that the Govt has control of a fair proportion of the Klongs where work should be taking place.

Despite the promises to work seamlessly with the new administration after the election the Govt now seems to have its hands full with other things and may just not be doing its share of the work.

Of course then again it may just have completed its share.

However if there is flooding it will obviously be the fault of the BKK administration as they are aligned with the Dems.

I think those who have no idea of the science of weather forecasting should refrain from posting on topics regarding the weather.

There is 0% chance of a water problem in May and June.

If it were to happen it would sure have a political reason. Like some one not taking the time out from their trying to get Judges to agree with them or resign or spending time trying to get a man unelected they said they would work with.

Water hyacinth clearing? Dredging? I drive past dozens of canals daily from Bangkapi to Sukhumvit and have never seen them do it. I just walked to our local canal and it is full of water hyacinth. Never seen it so clogged.

58.95%smile.png

Well, I will be sure to come back to this thread if they add to the 0% I have seen so far

Why bother?

58.95%smile.png

Why bother?

Just to annoy you if nothing else

• Like 1

Unless you force the ENTIRE body of water through the propeller AND prevent any from going back upstream, you have not accomplished anything but waste fuel and create wear and tear on the equipment. The pressure just goes to the side or creates eddies that go upstream cancelling any overall downstream effect. This is why pumps connect to pipes for intake and exhaust. If you are at sea level you need dams and locks to keep the water from coming back.

The 'water pushers' as they are now deployed are like trying to push a chain. All the water downstream that is out of direct effect of the propellers is going as fast as it can and is like a brick wall to the faster water near the propellers. If the water moved so easily, propeller driven boats wouldn't have anything to push against and couldn't go upstream.

Unless you force the ENTIRE body of water through the propeller AND prevent any from going back upstream, you have not accomplished anything but wasted fuel and created wear and tear on the equipment. The pressure just goes to the side or creates eddies that go upstream cancelling any overall downstream effect. This is why pumps connect to pipes for intake and exhaust. If you are at sea level you need dams and locks to keep the water from coming back.

I'd suggest both of you refrain from commenting on the efficacy of water pushers if that's your answer.

So, what is the correct answer?

Sent from my Phone.

Yes, show us your 'science'. We all need a laugh.

• Like 1

So, what is the correct answer?

Sent from my Phone.

Yes, show us your 'science'. We all need a laugh.

It sounds like he may be espousing the butterfly effect

So in one yeal the BMA has managed to complete less than:

38% of the Pipe dredging

30% of the pipe drainage

58% of the canal dredging

59% of the water hyacinth removal

Another wonderful, on-time completion of work by a government agency. Congratulations BMA on another success story!

This report is 45.4545657676787% correct.

I can't believe this is an official statement as there are none of the usual brave words of re-assurance such as " vigorous action ", " all necessary steps ", " fighting / combating the problem " but maybe they are distracted by deciding on suitable excuses if it goes pear shaped again

Don't forget "all appropriate 'measures' are being taken." Thais are habitually "measuring" and taking measures to ensure.

So in one yeal the BMA has managed to complete less than:

38% of the Pipe dredging

30% of the pipe drainage

58% of the canal dredging

59% of the water hyacinth removal

Another wonderful, on-time completion of work by a government agency. Congratulations BMA on another success story!

Not just the BMA. Some of the areas are outside BMA jurisdiction.

Sent from my Phone.