Thaksin Expresses Wish To Return To Thailand Without Seeking Any Position

webfact

Mr. T has more to fear from assassins than from any legal actions. Remember when Mr. Aquino returned to the Philippines? His foot had barely touched the ground before he was gunned down.Its surprising, the level of hatred and contempt for this man, from members of this 'expat' community, who really have no dog in this hunt.From what I can read of his record as PM, and his personal history, he was the most effective man in that position that this country has ever seen. Calling any politician here 'corrupt' is meaningless and laughable. It's the game. Players come and go, the game remains the same.

The irony of your post is that he has much more in common with Aquino's nemesis Marcos than he could ever possibly have with Aquino.

Marcos and Thaksin both had thousands of non-judicial killings under their belt.

If you read their records, Thaksin was a Marcos in the making.

Edited by brd199

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there has never been any legal impediment for Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand. Even his expired Thai passport would have been valid for travel to Thailand, but I understand he has in the meantime obtained a new passport.

Yes, he was illegally issued a new passport within weeks of his sister becoming PM.

It still has yet to be revoked.

The illegal passport was issued end of October 2011 when the Ministy of Foreign Affairs offices were flooded and no-one was really watching because of a flooding in progress and well done. In December 2011 the passport was denied at first, but a week later confirmed. 'sneaky' is the term which comes to mind.

Anyway with either his old, by now expired passport or with his shiny new one, Thaksin can return at any time with lodging and guards awaiting.

^#118 from brd199

It's interesting that while progressing from bail-jumping fugitive to criminal fugitive Thaksin could still authorize his team of lawyers to file an appeal. As his team didn't I can only assume Thaksin didn't bother.

Thaksin won't appeal corruption conviction

Updated Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:58pm AEDT

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will not appeal his conviction and two-year jail sentence for corruption, his lawyer said as the deadline passed for any legal action.

"I have been informed today that Thaksin will not appeal his case and that he will explain his reasons to his supporters soon," said Kamnuan Chalopatham, a member of Thaksin's legal team in Thailand.

His lawyers had 30 days from the conviction to appeal to the Supreme Court

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-11-18/thaksin-wont-appeal-corruption-conviction/210268

Most Farangs on this forum knock Thaksin but he gave them 30 Baht Health Care, they will kisses his ask.

I love Thais but most Farangs are cheap Poor Fools

No. Chuan Lek Pai of the Democrat party gave Thailand the 30 baht health care scheme and Thaksin continued to implement it when he became PM. It was a concept that even lek Pai said would need further evaluation but was implemented as a populist policy (soooo PTP, sooooo Shinawatra) without due consideration (Thaksin stole the idea), and as a result is leading to the bankruptcy of the Thai health service. I love Thais, but some Farangs are cheap uneducated fools!

The 30 Baht healthcare scheme was proposed to Chuan Leekpai's Democrat-led government by a doctor. It was rejected as the scheme was not sustainable and would cripple the healthcare system.

Thaksin Shinawatra's Thai Rak Thai government decided to push it through and deal the issues when they came up. After a few years, the public health system was facing difficulties because it cost more than 30 Baht to administer the collection of 30 Baht... so it was losing money. No fix was ever put in place and the national healthcare system continued to take unnecessary money out of the coffers and away from other projects.

Abhisit Vejjachiva's Democrat-led government decided to make the scheme free so that they did not have to administer the collection of any fee.

AV Democrat-led government also decided to make school uniform ans school books free. That was removed by the PTP.

"I want to come home. Tell the Democrat Party not to worry. If I come back, I don't want anything, I won't ask for any positions. let Prime Minister Yingluck [shinawatra] continue to run the country."

Don't worry, I'm not gonna ask for something,................ I just gonna take it without asking.

What a desperat and sad puppy he is ... !!

The thing that really must stick in his craw is he is the only hi so to ever get convicted to jail time! i expect many politicians don't want him to come back and go to prison as it would set a much needed precedent of know one being to big to break the law and do time!

Others have been convicted. They usually get released on bail to appeal. Justice if VEEERRRY slow in Thailand.

Your correct of course. Could Thaksin not appeal now? and come back? Surely in the Thai legal system there is some way he could appeal from where he is, delayed due to some strange circumstance etc Could they give him some type of Government position, and then come back when parliament is in session and he would have immunity for a period of time.

He had a set period of time to appeal after the verdict. I don't think he had to be here to appeal. He didn't appeal in the specified time frame, so now it's too late.

Not only is he Bi-Polar, he is delusional and terminally stupid.

let Prime Minister Yingluck [shinawatra] continue to run the country."

This really is the issue, a convicted, on the run felon will "allow" an elected prime minister to run the country. I have no doubt that he will be back, without serving time, all the rich put up bail to escape jail. The thing that must not happen is for his conviction to be put aside so that he can become PM again.

This man is just SOOOO over the top with his ego..... but what amazes me even more is the fact the the majority of Thais don't even see an ounce of it ... How does one define Stupidity ....? Or is it just Ignorance ...= From lack of Education ?? What is it...?? what makes people blind and oblivious ??? It is now how many years that this Soap Opera has been going on ..??

This really is the issue, a convicted, on the run felon will "allow" an elected prime minister to run the country. I have no doubt that he will be back, without serving time, all the rich put up bail to escape jail. The thing that must not happen is for his conviction to be put aside so that he can become PM again.

This man is just SOOOO over the top with his ego..... but what amazes me even more is the fact the the majority of Thais don't even see an ounce of it ... How does one define Stupidity ....? Or is it just Ignorance ...= From lack of Education ?? What is it...?? what makes people blind and oblivious ??? It is now how many years that this Soap Opera has been going on ..??

Lack of education is not the problem... it's the syllabus of what they're being educated and who is doing it. And I'm not talking about schools.

Oh, and it's not a majority ;)

Mr T can return home any time he likes. He will be ensured a warm welcome from his followers, both ordinary Thais and those in his government. He should expect garlands around his neck but also handcuffs around his wrists as he is led first to his press conference and then to the police station. He is right not to expect any position as even in Thailand you cannot be a jailbird and hold political office at the same time.

But will he want to serve his time? He could argue no other wealthy Thai ever seems to so why should he? And then there is a plethora of other charges which were put to one side before he did a runner from the law. They will take so long to process in Thailand courts it's doubtful he will ever serve time for them even if he is found guilty so they probably aren't an issue.

See you soon, Mr T.

And why can he not BUY his time out of jail like everybody else does ..??? Red Bull as 1 example ...?? Isn't $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ the key and solution to all evils in Asia ?

Lack of education is not the problem... it's the syllabus of what they're being educated and who is doing it. And I'm not talking about schools.

Oh, and it's not a majority wink.png

Certainly is in Chiang Mai where I live !!

Oh, and it's not a majority wink.png

Certainly is in Chiang Mai where I live !!

Yes, I am aware of that :) My girlfriend is from Chiang Rai, but is studying in Chiang Mai at the moment.

Thaksin gets around the 1% mark in Surat.

Most Farangs on this forum knock Thaksin but he gave them 30 Baht Health Care, they will kisses his ask.

I love Thais but most Farangs are cheap Poor Fools

Do you include your parents in ' poor cheap fools' category? As only a fool would give birth to and then raise someone to make such racist comments.

I think poor old Harry should get away from Pattaya a bit more.

On second thoughts.... better for the rest of us you stay where you are, Harry!

Who said Thais can't be dual Nationals? Abhisit and his family is, amongst many other Thais!

I d

on't think Abhisit's family have dual nationality. Abhisit has British citizenship through birth, but doesn't have a British passport.

British Citizenship comes first,and then the Citizen has a right to a British Passport,its just a formality,and a right to the new Citizen.

Actually, Thailand doesn't accept dual citizenship . . . but in typical Thai manner it is murky. Look it up and you will find that is is a no-no but some have it. TiT

Show me the evidence that Thailand doesn't accept dual Nationality? never mind the "murky" "no-no" which only confirms they have no interest in the matter of dual Citizenship!

Have you ever heard of a Thai,that has been refused entry into Thailand because they have,and are using a Foreign Passport????

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

Btw...what happened about his illegally issued thai passport?

Good question - he is not traveling on his Thai passport . . . does he even have the right to seek residence in Thailand as Thais cannot be dual nationals? Hmm . . . rolleyes.gif

Having said that, even if the amnesty is granted or all political crimes to be whitewashed, not all his crimes are of the politically-minded type, or are they saying that criminal matters will also be expunged?

Who said Thais can't be dual Nationals? Abhisit and his family is, amongst many other Thais!

I don't think Abhisit's family have dual nationality. Abhisit has British citizenship through birth, but doesn't have a British passport.

There are Millions of British Citizens that have never been out of the UK for a holiday or any other reasons,and so have never needed to take up their right of a British Passport,but are British Citizens nevertheless!

You have answered your own question,i.e a certificate from the Home Office decides whether you are a British Citizen,so the British Passport is not absolutely necessary to prove it.

Edited by MAJIC

There are many who liken the "cult" behind this guy to a certain short Austrian artist with a funny moustache. However, this kind of populist cult is better paralleled to the "Peronist" style of popular policies that look good for a few moments and keep everyone busy while really the country is going to rack and ruin through the plunder being wrought through corruption, incompetence and outright thievery. Peron could do no wrong and while his wife beguiled the masses with her appeal he and his cronies ruined their countries entire economic base. There are still Peronist cult followers even now, 60+ years later, as will there always be apologists and sympathises for Thuggy and his clan. King John's Magna Carta (the world's first constitution giving rights to ordinary people) and the war of the feudal barons is another good example, John threw it out with the Popes blessing, and what ensued was a long list of wars and instability, that happened over 800 years ago but it seems like us humans just like to repeat the same thing over and over again.

or you've been framed!

and brainwashed too.

Any guesses as to why we have a feudal state here?

Wasn't Thaksin's conviction in regards to some land deal and/or financial issues? How would the amnesty proposed cover him as these were not political based crimes and it is irrelevant if they were pursued because of politics as a court found him guilty of non-political crimes.

I also don't believe Pardons can be granted to fugitives and would like to think amnesty in a situation like this wouldn't apply to fugitives. Just not fair to the rest of the folks who tried to fight their cases legally.

It would seem any broad amnesty deal is going to have to have wording that is specific to his situation to apply to him.

But regardless this is just another obvious lie as he will be seeking a position if he comes back ... at minimum he is looking to be a free citizen instead of holding a position as toilet cleaner in the pokey.

d

on't think Abhisit's family have dual nationality. Abhisit has British citizenship through birth, but doesn't have a British passport.

British Citizenship comes first,and then the Citizen has a right to a British Passport,its just a formality,and a right to the new Citizen.

Actually, Thailand doesn't accept dual citizenship . . . but in typical Thai manner it is murky. Look it up and you will find that is is a no-no but some have it. TiT

Show me the evidence that Thailand doesn't accept dual Nationality? never mind the "murky" "no-no" which only confirms they have no interest in the matter of dual Citizenship!

Have you ever heard of a Thai,that has been refused entry into Thailand because they have,and are using a Foreign Passport????

You seem upset with your bold screams . . please show me where I have stated that a Thai has been refused entry into Thailand using a foreign passport.

If you'd like to move the goalposts then at least do so with a modicum of intelligence

Ok, here are a few links for you:

http://www.dlgimmigration.com/united-states-citizenship/list-of-countries-that-allow-or-disallow-dual-citizenship/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/immigration/dual_citizenship.html

This is not to say that Thais do have dual citizenship; they may have the right by country of birth, by blood or by application . . . and then not informing the Thai authorities.

An example of the latter - my wife has NZ and Malaysian citizenship. If she were to inform the Malaysian government there would be consequences as Malaysia also does not permit dual nationality

This latest demand to be allowed to return is not unexpected, it's part of the recent pattern, carefully orchestrated from Dubai. First the Big Stick ...

The Red-Shirts have been demanding the immediate resignation of judges, with support rather than criticism from the PM, when they merely consider doing their jobs.

The DSI have been stacking-up the accusations, against the former-PM and other opposition-politicians, no matter how flimsy or one-sided the grounds may sometimes be

The cases against the PAD, arising out of the events of 2008 are being progressed, correctly IMO, while the cases against Red-Shirts over 2010 proceed ever so slowly.

The current-government agrees big juicy projects, enough to get even the fattest piggies salivating, and financed by 50-year loans !

The legal-PM makes a speech in Mongolia, blaming everything over the past several years on the coup, rather than also the events which led up to it, and unconvincingly ( IMHO ) claiming that her brother was trying to promote democracy, when in power.

And now the olive-branch of reconciliation is extended, with a promise (yet again, after all the evidence of its unreliability) to live quietly, when he's allowed to return, as if there was anything except his own decision not to face-the-music preventing it !

This might well have been acceptable if done behind-the-scenes in late-2006 or early-2007, but given everything that has happened since then, it seems unlikely.

Except that who knows or will ever learn, what deals/offers are being made between the power-brokers on each side, little to do with democracy anyway ?

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

I don't think Abhisit's family have dual nationality. Abhisit has British citizenship through birth, but doesn't have a British passport.

There are Millions of British Citizens that have never been out of the UK for a holiday or any other reasons,and so have never needed to take up their right of a British Passport,but are British Citizens nevertheless!

You have answered your own question,i.e a certificate from the Home Office decides whether you are a British Citizen,so the British Passport is not absolutely necessary to prove it.

What question did I ask?

Mr T can return home any time he likes. He will be ensured a warm welcome from his followers, both ordinary Thais and those in his government. He should expect garlands around his neck but also handcuffs around his wrists as he is led first to his press conference and then to the police station. He is right not to expect any position as even in Thailand you cannot be a jailbird and hold political office at the same time.

But will he want to serve his time? He could argue no other wealthy Thai ever seems to so why should he? And then there is a plethora of other charges which were put to one side before he did a runner from the law. They will take so long to process in Thailand courts it's doubtful he will ever serve time for them even if he is found guilty so they probably aren't an issue.

See you soon, Mr T.

He could come back any time and never spend a day in jail (bail) but he won't come back until he gets absolved of his crimes so he can be PM again.

See you soon, Mr T.

He could come back any time and never spend a day in jail (bail) but he won't come back until he gets absolved of his crimes so he can be PM again.
He can't get bail. You can only get bail if you are appealing, and he chose not to appeal.

Btw...what happened about his illegally issued thai passport?

Good question - he is not traveling on his Thai passport . . . does he even have the right to seek residence in Thailand as Thais cannot be dual nationals? Hmm . . . rolleyes.gif

Having said that, even if the amnesty is granted or all political crimes to be whitewashed, not all his crimes are of the politically-minded type, or are they saying that criminal matters will also be expunged?

Most of my Thai friends in Dallas have Thai and U.S. passports. I think it depends on the country.

See you soon, Mr T.

Assuming everything else somehow becomes a non-issue ... could he even be PM again given there is a two term limit or is it based on years served in this type of government?