Why Did You Move To Thailand

Jaybonnaza

30 years ago I stopped off in Thailand on my way to Singapore, where I had a job waiting for me. The airfare to Thailand was much cheaper than to Singapore so I decided to have a break here and then head on down to Singapore by train. I never got there though, my first visit to Singapore being only three years ago.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has come and gone over the past years so I'll post my previous answer:

In early 1998 I sold everything that I owned and came to Thailand for one reason – to “DIE”! I had been experiencing severe angina for a long time and was told that I had to have heart surgery.

I decided that if it was my time, so be it, and took early retirement and moved here. I had no intention of going through the surgery. When I arrived, within days, the angina stopped and I’m still here,15 years later.For me it has definitely been a better life. The daily BS that I have to put up with is well worth it!

I'm still alive, haven't had any angina and believe that it's still well worth it!

My girlfriends got acute angina too

In my case, I’m half Thai/American. Was born in Isaan and then moved to the US when I was 3 months old. Mom returned to Thailand, alone, one year later. I was raised in the US by various people….dad in and out of picture.

5 yrs ago I came to Thailand to meet my mom’s side of the family.

This is why I moved to Thailandsmile.png

Snap!

but BK not Issan and 18 months ago, not 5 years.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I came here single, to open a rep office from scratch for my company from France. 15 years down the road we have regional headquarters here, grossing 50 million Euros all over south east Asia .

My work here is done, and I am heading back to France over the summer .

Had a great time here, but staying here any longer would amount to a corporate suicide.

I also have a family with a Thai wife who is a xxxxx and an angel at the same time but super optimistic about leaving Thailand , and 2 lovely daughters who just got admitted to one of the best Lycees in France ( after all their education here at Shrewsbury).

I'm 45 and it is time to move on .

Good luck Thailand, you're going to need it so badly .

but you needed thailand to make your money

Agreed... rape the place and then piss off.... What a man.... -sic-

Maybe he stayed here too long and adopted the mindsight of the local population ?

Or maybe, just maybe he's actually right!!

I came here single, to open a rep office from scratch for my company from France. 15 years down the road we have regional headquarters here, grossing 50 million Euros all over south east Asia .

My work here is done, and I am heading back to France over the summer .

Had a great time here, but staying here any longer would amount to a corporate suicide.

I also have a family with a Thai wife who is a bitch and an angel at the same time but super optimistic about leaving Thailand , and 2 lovely daughters who just got admitted to one of the best Lycees in France ( after all their education here at Shrewsbury).

I'm 45 and it is time to move on .

Good luck Thailand, you're going to need it so badly .

but you needed thailand to make your money , <deleted>

Agreed... rape the place and then piss off.... What a man.... -sic-

So many losers so little time to waste on them.

Just for your information, my company ( I am not the owner in case you didn't get it) invested several hundred million THB in this country , paid corporate income tax, VAT , social security, witholding taxes again in excess of a few hundred million THB ( which most Thai companies don't BTW ) and bought parts and services from Thai suppliers well in excess of a billion THB.

Now you can think what you want , but educate yourself before you spew out such nonsense next time around .

Maybe pose the following question to these two upstanding "gentleman" .....how much tax have they paid in Thailand or invested ?....

Paying VAT on their Chang or the cost of an Isaan mansion and a pick-up for their Teerak's and her family doesnt count

I have a great pension and could live any where in the world, came here after doing business here for many years when I hit 65 ( from USA ) have found a loving partner half my age and been together 4 years , love her and her family, dislike many things here BIB, driving, etc but the good far outweighs the bad. Get looked after like I never would in the US.

Question ? what does a thai man dream about

Living in an English house.

Eating Chinese food.

Having an American salary.

Having a Japanese wife ( white and subserviant }

What do they fear most ?

Living in a Japanese house.

Eating English food.

Having a Chinese Salary

Having an American wife ( divorce costs )

• Like 1

In my case, I’m half Thai/American. Was born in Isaan and then moved to the US when I was 3 months old. Mom returned to Thailand, alone, one year later. I was raised in the US by various people….dad in and out of picture.

Snap!

I don't understand this post. I wasn't born in Bkk. I came here 5 yrs ago, not 18 mo ago. Are u confusing me with another Thai? Some of us may look alike.

Work brought me to Thailand many years ago and I enjoyed my time there very much. I have since rotated back to the west, although still visit when in the region. Retirement is in my immediate future. When that time comes I will be pulling up stakes in the west and moving back to Thailand. I do not know why but my soul feels at peace when I am in the Kingdom.

Snap!

I don't understand this post. I wasn't born in Bkk. I came here 5 yrs ago, not 18 mo ago. Are u confusing me with another Thai? Some of us may look alike.

Heaven help those kids you are teaching if you do not understand something as basic as AOA's post.

• Like 1

I owned a business in America for 10 yrs and other people illegally copied and provided my service and products. It didn’t bother me one bit because I was making a damn good living……enough for me to now comfortably live and work in LOS as an English teacher.

I walked away from a good job in the US. There is no other country in the world I’d consider teaching English. I live and teach English here only because I’m half Thai. I’ve been at the same school for almost 6 yrs. I enjoy this country.

Im not attacking. Just curious about the job

My first time living in Thailand, thanks to US military, was in the mid-1960's. Flying the mail runs in Thailand and Laos allowed me to see a lot of places and meet a lot of people. I was soon hooked the culture, weather and people. I also acquired a wife in just before returning to the USA. Once back in the "World" as we used to say, I realized it was not my kind of place anymore and returned to Thailand for work. Once the first kid arrived, we left for the USA again but made a promise to myself to retire in Thailand. Many years and countries later, my wife (still the same one) and I returned for good. Thailand has change considerable since my first time here, but I am still hooked on the place.

• Like 2

Moved here on a job offer after college. Traveled abroad once when I was a bit younger, got the bug, and jumped at the chance to do it again.

I think the cool thing about living here (and TV) is hearing all the stories from other people. Learning the life stories of people from your hometown is great, but they tend to follow several predictable channels. So when I moved here I got the chance to hear life stories from people all over the world. To me, the things ive learned from older guys who have been around the block, whether they're Brit, American, Ozzie, European, South American, Korean, etc, etc...its all priceless because it gives me a better view of the world..

Snap!

Sorry, I now understand your post. Same situation as me, but different city of birth and time of arrival.

Snap!

Heaven help those kids you are teaching if you do not understand something as basic as AOA's post.

I got it now.

• Like 1

Was sent here by the regional office in Hong Kong for a 5 month project. More than 7 years on I'm still here and enjoy the culture and climate. Obviously there are things about Thailand that drive me crazy but the good easily outweighs the bad. Until that changes, I will continue to call Thailand home.

I came here because Australia is becoming a Police State... Cant do this or that... Cant smoke here or there.... Speed Cameras all over the place (Never been busted), other's children who now have full run of the streets and vandalise anything the moves or doesnt.... Pubs that have 50 guys to one POG.... Overly FAT Women who wear tight leotards and feel comfortable showing their camel toes.... Women who think they can have more than half... and no matter how bad a mother they are, still get custody....

Thailand offers total anarchy, which as much as I hate it... also gives me some comfort.... And of course, my missus of 7 years and our 2 kids (4 and 8) that are just the most wonderful people to be around.

I can do things here that Australia FROWNS upon.... Smoke in pubs, play with guns, wear socks with sandals (never done that yet), enjoy the beach without young punks ruling the beach... and a bunch more !

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. I just had a months holiday back in the nanny state of australia. Its shocking how rude the teenagers are- a small example but had to be said. The general aggression of the typical aussie male is hard to take. Aussies are abrupt and full on- parents of the kids are to blame.

Its a full on expensive country and thus can afford to live in the LOS. They can have Australia to themselves and luckily I do not care what my family thinks about me...

• Like 1

Nothing new, Farangs come her for:

- White sandy and unpolluted beaches.

- Friendly people. They smile all the time, but more so, if they want to sell you something.

- Perfect climate: Nice between November until end of March, after that, hot as h*ll until the start of the "rainy-sason". After that, hot as h*ll, but with torrential rains on top of it. In short: A perfect all year round climate.

The landscape of Thailand is breathtaking: Djungle, with very liile to see but jungle, or endless plains (100 meters abve sea-level), with nothing to see, exept rice pattys.

Also:

- Food is cheap.

- Housing is cheap.

-Transportation is cheap.

- Road safety is assured.

- Health insurance or any other insurance needs are readily available.

- Thanks to institutions like the "Tourist-Police", a newcomer-farang can count on fair and unbiased treatment in front of the "law of the Land". All in all: A great place to live.

The rumor, that there is any sort of prostituton going on in certain "tourist-hubs" is strictly rumor/hearsay. It can not be, because any such thing is illegal in Thailand !!!

So, clearly, the majority of the 24 million tourists that visit Thailand per year, come here mainly to see the many Buddhist-Temples. What else?

Cheers.

I dont think anyone doubts the prostitution here, but you can also find it all over Asia, South America and in many parts of eastern (and some western Europe. Its a part of life, but it doesnt dominate most expat lives.... at least i hope not

Edited by yourauntbob

I found that in England I am now a second class citizen behind all the "ethnic minorities" illegal immigrants and other low lifes who scrounge off the sweat of the honest man thanks to the governments policies, much the same as Aussie is if my friends are to be believed. Therefore living in Thailand I feel I am better off, I have two houses a wonderful wife and a young son who is both happy and barking mad at the same time!

Yes there ups and downs to living anywhere, and I always say to the farangs who never stop complaining that there is at least one plane a day out of Thailand, I could go on and on, but simply put I Iike it here.wai2.gif

Edited by AhFarangJa

I found that in England I am now a second class citizen behind all the "ethnic minorities" illegal immigrants and other low lifes who scrounge off the sweat of the honest man thanks to the governments policies, much the same as Aussie is if my friends are to be believed. Therefore living in Thailand I feel I am better off, I have two houses a wonderful wife and a young son who is both happy and barking mad at the same time!

Yes there ups and downs to living anywhere, and I always say to the farangs who never stop complaining that there is at least one plane a day out of Thailand, I could go on and on, but simply put I Iike it here.wai2.gif

Oh please, shut up.

• Like 1

Oh please, shut up.

Funny, I thought the definition of a FORUM was a medium for open discussion or voicing of opinions......guess I was wrongsad.png

Oh please, shut up.

Funny, I thought the definition of a FORUM was a medium for open discussion or voicing of opinions......guess I was wrongsad.png

I'm afraid you are lacking in the fine print of humor/irony

Oh please, shut up.

I'm afraid you are lacking in the fine print of humor/irony

Yep, see your point guys, sorrysad.png , after reading thru again it does seem like a big winge not intentional, will send memo to self, must do better, sick.gif