Gecko Exports Thriving In Nakhon Phanom

Lite Beer

Gecko exports thriving in Nakhon Phanom
By Digital Media

NAKHON PHANOM, May 3 - Gecko exports in the northeastern province of Nakhon Phanom has become a lucrative business with total export value of at least ten million baht a month.

According to information from the wildlife checkpoint in Nakhon Phanom, entrepreneurs buy the lizards for export to China and Vietnam during this season with more than 100,000 geckos being exported each month. A gecko can fetch a price ranging from 30-100 baht depending on its size.

Normally, in summer, about Bt10 million is circulated monthly in the province’s gecko export business.

In 2012, more than 1.4 million geckos were exported, accounting for an income of over 140 million baht.

Kritsada Sakornwong, head of the Nakhon Phanom wildlife checkpoint said that gecko exports are permitted as a business, but permission must be asked to export the lizards. The authorities will soon try raising the animals to promote as a local business to help local people earn extra income. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-03

If you haven't tried it don't knock it. They are delicious. Taste like chicken.

Taste 'like' chicken.

Eat enough cardamom and cumin seeds and your s**t will taste like curry, it's still s**t though wink.png

is there corn in curry?

If you haven't tried it don't knock it. They are delicious. Taste like chicken.

Taste 'like' chicken.

Eat enough cardamom and cumin seeds and your s**t will taste like curry, it's still s**t though wink.png

Nothing wrong with shit, 20 trillion flies endorse it daily. bah.gif

The big Tokay Geckos are in big demand in The Philippines also,for sale to the Chinese who fight them.They can fetch up to 3 million pesos for a prime specimen,or about USD $75,000!
They are known as the pitbull of the gecko world and if one bites you one of the only ways to get it to release you is to hold it underwater until it breathes again!blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

I think the only way to save what wildlife we still have on Planet Earth is to convince the Chinese that eating other Chinese people increases your sexual powers.

I like your thinking,population control thrown into the bargain also,everyone's a winner!smile.png

• Like 2

Hi,

Do you know where they sell geckos in bottles ? Similar to snake wine on Asiansnakewine.com ???

Thanks.

Call me, I will get a bottle of wine and drop a geko into it for you, plenty around here, a Tokay might be a bit of a struggle to fit down the neck though :)

I think the only way to save what wildlife we still have on Planet Earth is to convince the Chinese that eating other Chinese people increases your sexual powers.

best post i've seen on any forum.

• Like 1

If they in actual fact farm them and only export the farmed ones and outlaw any caught in the wild then fair enough.

Same as with crocs, pigs ( yes there are wild pigs in this country) and any other animals for that matter.

Like the idea of promoting the eating of Chinese.

Would also like to see the export of all the wild and semi wild dogs that roam this country.

But didn't they just stop a shipment of dogs yet they cant stop the export of geckos which are a true wild animal (reptile)?

If they in actual fact farm them and only export the farmed ones and outlaw any caught in the wild then fair enough.

Same as with crocs, pigs ( yes there are wild pigs in this country) and any other animals for that matter.

Like the idea of promoting the eating of Chinese.

Would also like to see the export of all the wild and semi wild dogs that roam this country.

But didn't they just stop a shipment of dogs yet they cant stop the export of geckos which are a true wild animal (reptile)?

And now, a word from our sponsor.

post-9891-0-16727100-1367582443_thumb.jp

Edited by ratcatcher

It's not only in Nakhon Phatom.

In my Wat we have three big geckos. One in the temple, one in the cuty of the abbot, one in my clinique.

Gecko traffickers came to bargain for the geckos.

I had in my car a water gun from Songkhran

I took it and they fled away

Another topic.

In a book for monks staying in a Wat they have information from the geckos.

If the recall of the Geckos is 5 the Wat is 50%/50%.

6 is o.k. you can stay, but not sure.

7 is a good prediction, you have good place.

More than 7, you can have awakening in this Wat.

I investigates this (sayasaad, superstition) with my abbot.

Conclusion: Where geckos have their free place, enough insects to eat, people accepting their environment, they grow up and can shouting more then 8 times.

• Like 1

The big Tokay Geckos are in big demand in The Philippines also,for sale to the Chinese who fight them.They can fetch up to 3 million pesos for a prime specimen,or about USD $75,000!

They are known as the pitbull of the gecko world and if one bites you one of the only ways to get it to release you is to hold it underwater until it breathes again!blink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

I'd pay to see that, a Chinese man fighting a gecko.

• Like 1

These are fascinating animals. There are a couple of them that live around our property and I really love they`re tukka call.

There is one that does the rounds in our area, it stays on different days among the houses in our neighborhood. Enjoy it`s calls during the night and always in hope that no one decides to harm this gecko.

Now there is all this publicity that these animals are worth money will not help the situation.

For commercial purposes these animals should be breed on special farms and left alone in the wild.

• Like 1