Tick Season Is Here

Our dog has been tick free for his eight months with us, but over the last few days, we have been finding a few ticks, with over a dozen found today.

Even if your dog goes out the back door for a few minutes, you need to be on the look out. Ask your vet about the right safeguards and vaccinations needed.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it ever! Ben pulling them off both dogs daily now. Never seen it this bad, in fact.

There is no such thing ads a vaccine against ticks and I am not aware of anything that will keep them off other than medicated collars that aren't so safe and are also hard to find these days.

Frontline is supposed to help but it doesn't, at least not on my dogs sad.png

Open to suggestions, the daily de-ticking is getting pretty gross and the Pom has already had some bad bouts of anaplasmosis (tick borne disease) in the past...

The Bio-mec suppose to kill ticks or make them die after they drink some blood.

I also bought tick collars by Bayer and it does work, but they still get it on their paws.

Friendship sells some German Brand, also works ok, but again paws still get ticks.

There is also anti -tick spray and powder, again not 100% but works ok.(thai brand)

Is the spray and pwder safe? I worry about toxicity....

And where in LOS do you find Bio-mec and the Bayer collars?

I can not be 100% on how safe, i have used it on my gang for 2.5 years now and no problems.

Bio-mec is a brand of ivermectin, i always buy mine from Soi Buakhao market(tue & fri) 100 baht for box of 10.

Its a heart worm medicine, but also shows on the box that it deals with ticks and mange

The bayer collars i buy from Pattaya Animal Hospital on Pattaya Tai opposite soi 2 and also Baan Pattaya Animal clinic(i think thats the name) also on Pattaya Tai.

Also note Virbac are pretty good but more expansive

If you know the area, turning into Pattaya Tai from Sukhumvit road, Baan Pattaya is on the right side, about 100 meters down and Pattaya Animal Hospital is a further about 300 meters on your left.

PS. Its Pattaya locations, sorry do not know about other city's but the powder and sprays are usually available from Pet shops and supermarkets, the Bayer collars from Vets

post-157118-0-49344400-1367595126_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll try the local Vet as not near Pattaya.

I've had some bad experiences with collars so prefer to avoid them but matters are getting dire. (Have had pets almost strangled when collar caught on something).

Thanks, I'll try the local Vet as not near Pattaya.

I've had some bad experiences with collars so prefer to avoid them but matters are getting dire. (Have had pets almost strangled when collar caught on something).

Ohhh, these are made from something that looks/feels like rubber and breaks easily if pulled hard enough.

Note: Virbac has a strong smell, something like very strong mint but not as pleasant to the nose, first few days anyway :)

Another topic about ticks and how to try and get rid of them ; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/523835-cant-get-rid-of-ticks-help/

wai2.gif

There appears to have been a few over the years.

The Farm has a few dogs and apparently they are covered in ticks at the moment.

Doesn't seem to slow them down though ... tough as nails those farm dogs!

What I don't know if the Thai tick the same as the Australian Paralysis tick ... because one or two of those suckers on after a few days and you can really begin to see the effect on the dog with initially limb stiffness, reduced moment, then no movement.

Is it ever! Ben pulling them off both dogs daily now. Never seen it this bad, in fact.

There is no such thing ads a vaccine against ticks and I am not aware of anything that will keep them off other than medicated collars that aren't so safe and are also hard to find these days.

Frontline is supposed to help but it doesn't, at least not on my dogs sad.png

Open to suggestions, the daily de-ticking is getting pretty gross and the Pom has already had some bad bouts of anaplasmosis (tick borne disease) in the past...

Our vet said something last time that sounds like it might be K9 Advantix, but have not had a chance to follow up yet. The stuff can only be used on dogs and looks to be expensive, at least in the USA.

Frontline is supposed to help but it doesn't, at least not on my dogs :(

Our vet said something last time that sounds like it might be K9 Advantix, but have not had a chance to follow up yet. The stuff can only be used on dogs and looks to be expensive, at least in the USA.

It's 250-350 baht depending on the brand. :)

• Like 1

Another topic about ticks and how to try and get rid of them ; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/523835-cant-get-rid-of-ticks-help/

:wai2:

There appears to have been a few over the years.

The Farm has a few dogs and apparently they are covered in ticks at the moment.

Doesn't seem to slow them down though ... tough as nails those farm dogs!

What I don't know if the Thai tick the same as the Australian Paralysis tick ... because one or two of those suckers on after a few days and you can really begin to see the effect on the dog with initially limb stiffness, reduced moment, then no movement.

Thankfully ticks are not the same :)

The only thing that seems to work with our Cocker Spaniel is to take him to the dog salon and get his hair cut really short.

He looks a bit funny but the ticks stay away.

He probably likes it as well in this hot weather.

The only thing that seems to work with our Cocker Spaniel is to take him to the dog salon and get his hair cut really short.

He looks a bit funny but the ticks stay away.

He probably likes it as well in this hot weather.

My Mom has a Yorkie. It gets cold here and goes and lays in the sun even on super hot days like we've been having! Crazy. So we're trying to grow her hair a bit longer to help out.

We've found quite a few on our dog lately also. It's mainly a house dog, so hate to think of these dang things being in our house.

Thanks for the info. Will go and check this stuff out.

same with us its the first time the mrs.has found ticks on him in over 2yrs.she now stips the bed sheets off every day,we bathed him last weekend and have seen nothing since also bleached the drive as he likes to get under the car.

I live in a condo on the beach in Cha Am and have 2 outside dogs. They aren't really mine but I have taken responsibility for caring for them.They are about 18 months old and I have tried Tick Powders, Tick Shampoo, the shot on the back of the neck, Tick Collars I got from the vet in the States and nothing seems to work. I pick the ticks off and get anywhere from 20 to 80 ticks off each dog every day.

Fortunately they are very good about sitting still and letting me de-tick them, but I worry that I won't always get the one that will make them ill.

I have used ivermec here in Thailand for the past six years and it really works,i inject 1cc per ten kilo once a month and the dogs are tick free.

Available at every vet or pet shop here and not expensive at all.

• Like 1

Go to a Vet and ask a shot for heart-worm or go to a good shop and ask pills against heart worm. You need to get to your vet anyhow every 12 weeks for a heart worm shot. In smaller doses it already kills the ticks. A shot depends on the size of your dog between 150 and 300 Baht. If you buy pills you need 1 pill per 30 kg body weight. The pills cost around 50 baht each.

You will notice that if you pull out a tick that if you squeeze it the color changes within a day from red to dark brown,. Within two to three days your dog is tick free and will stay so for the next 4 -6 weeks.

Don;t buy Frontline or other rubbish. It is more expensive and completely ineffective in this climate. If you dog roams free in your garden or in the grass it is a waste of money.

Hope you do not have children in the house - if so suggest you get rid of the dog it is not worth the risk ......

Tick paralysis is most likely to be seen in children. The initial symptoms of tick paralysis may include unsteady gait, increased weakness of the limbs, multiple rashes, headache, fever, flu like symptoms, tenderness of lymph nodes, and partial facial paralysis. Tick paralysis develops slowly as the tick engorges, which will take several days. Despite the removal of the tick, the patient's condition typically will continue to deteriorate for a time and recovery is often slow. Undetected ticks are another possible reason for any prologed debilitation and should always remain a concern. Improvements in modern medicine and the development of a tick antitoxin have prevented further deaths from tick paralysis in the last 70 years. The antitoxin is available from the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories. Despite these developments, a few cases of tick paralysis in children are seen at major hospitals every year .............

http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/ticks.htm

Hope you do not have children in the house - if so suggest you get rid of the dog it is not worth the risk ......

Tick paralysis is most likely to be seen in children. The initial symptoms of tick paralysis may include unsteady gait, increased weakness of the limbs, multiple rashes, headache, fever, flu like symptoms, tenderness of lymph nodes, and partial facial paralysis. Tick paralysis develops slowly as the tick engorges, which will take several days. Despite the removal of the tick, the patient's condition typically will continue to deteriorate for a time and recovery is often slow. Undetected ticks are another possible reason for any prologed debilitation and should always remain a concern. Improvements in modern medicine and the development of a tick antitoxin have prevented further deaths from tick paralysis in the last 70 years. The antitoxin is available from the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories. Despite these developments, a few cases of tick paralysis in children are seen at major hospitals every year .............

Have you NOT noticed this topic is NOT about kids in the house or anything else but ONLY how to deal with ticksrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I have used ivermec here in Thailand for the past six years and it really works,i inject 1cc per ten kilo once a month and the dogs are tick free.

Available at every vet or pet shop here and not expensive at all.

+1.

and it's the ONLY thing i've found that works. Tried everything else over 2 years, some may work for 2-3 weeks, then they are back again. Ivermec is the one, about 200 baht is enough to do two dogs for 2-3 months.

We had a tick infestation that lasted for two years and killed our Golden Retriever. The remaining two dogs are Thai Bangkaews and more resistant to local parasites. We tried everything recommended at considerable expense by vets, Frontline etc and nothing made the slightest difference. We only got rid of them by having a pest control company spray chlorpyrifos all through the garden and house in every room and up internal and external walls. Be warned that this is a harzardous chemical that is banned for domestic use in most farang countries but it is the most effective. It can lead to breathing difficulties and migraine, if sprayed in a bedroom for example (I know to my cost). You need to be able to remove all humans and animals from the sprayed areas for at least 12 hours and preferably 24. Be especially careful of small children and old people. Anyway it did what nothing else had and killed the ticks and touch wood they haven't come back three years later but sadly it was too late for our Golden who died a couple of months later of kidney disease caused by the tick infestation. The mosquitoes were also gone for about 3 months and no doubt all honey bees in the areas were wiped out too. You may have to spray again two weeks later to get the newly hatched ticks because the eggs are not killed by the spray. You have to thoroughly clean your house to get rid of all tick nests and eggs which you will find behind cabinets, under piles of documents etc. Burn the eggs to make sure don't hatch. Ticks need to be killed in alcohol. They don't die in water or by flushing down the loo and they can survive for months dormant waiting for their next feed of blood. Pluck them out of your dog with a fast flick of a long pair of tweezers so as not to allow them enough time to vomit their diseased intestines into your dog's bloodstream or get their bacteria on your fingers. Make sure you examine carefully in ears, under armpits, between pads of paws in dew claws etc. Be very careful they aren't around your dog's eyes too. I used to find at least 30 ticks a day in morning and evening de-ticking sessions on one of the Bangkaews and she woudn't let anyone except me touch her back paws. We don't let out dogs outside much and only on a leash because they really want to go out and get more exercise and smell different smells. Obviously it is best if you can control your own environment and not let the dogs outside where there may be a tick waiting on every blade of grass and leaf. Also avoid contact with all other dogs.

Good luck. It is a revolting and distressing problem but can be licked.

This can happen in North America with the types of tick they have there but fortunately there is no evidence so far of tick borne diseases such as tick paralysis and Lymes disease occurring in Thailand, unless imported here by patients infected overseas.

I stand by my previous post - Hope you do not have children in the house - if so suggest you get rid of the dog it is not worth the risk ......

Asia

B. burgdorferi sensu lato-infested ticks are being found more frequently in Japan as well as in northwest China , Nepal , Thailand and even far eastern Russia - Borrelia has also been isolated in Mongolia

Australia

In Australia there is definitive evidence for the existence of endemic B. burgdorferi infection.The matter has been controversial for nearly 20 years and has been described as a local lyme-like syndrome and sometimes as Lyme disease