Visa Run Destination Kuala Lumpur Stops Issuing 12-Month Non-Imm B Visas

Phuket visa run destination Kuala Lumpur stops issuing 12-month non-imm B visas
Phuket Gazette

visa.jpg
The Royal Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, has stopped issuing 12-month non-immigrant B visas. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- The Royal Thai Embassy of Kuala Lumpur, a popular visa run destination for Phuket expats, has confirmed that it is no longer issuing 12-month non-immigrant B visas.

Embassy official Orawan Heemmamhad confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the embassy in the Malaysian capital stopped issuing 12-month business visas late last year.

“It is the Kuala Lumpur embassy policy not to issue 12-month non-immigrant B visas anymore. Now we issue only three-month non-immigrant B visas,” she said.

“We suggest that people apply for a one-year permit-to-stay in Thailand instead,” Ms Orawan said.

However, an official at the Royal Thai Consulate at Penang confirmed that there was no change in their policy for issuing the expat-popular business visas there.

“We are still issuing 12-month non-immigrant B visas for applicants who have previously been issued a 12-month non-imm B visa and are applying for a new one,” the official said.

“However, we will not grant a person a 12-month B visa if the person is applying for their first-ever 12-month non-imm B visa and there is less than six months left on their work permit.

“That said, if the person has already had a 12-month non-imm B visa and has had a work permit valid for the past 12 months, we will grant that person a 12-month non-imm B visa,” the consulate official added.

A staffer at the popular Thai Visa Service, which runs visa run services to Penang twice a week, said, “To be issued a 12-month non-immigrant B visa, applicants should go to Penang and get their three-month non-immigrant B visa first, then return to Thailand and have their work permit extended to last one year.

“They can then return to Penang and be issued a 12-month non-immigrant B visa, and come back to Thailand and work for the rest of the year,” she said.

“Of course, when applying for their second [or subsequent] 12-month non-imm B visa, applicants will need to prepare the same documents that were required when they applied for their first 12-month non-imm B,” she added.

For a full list of the documents required by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, click here.

However, without a 12-month permit-to-stay, expats will need to make “visa runs” to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days, the visa run staffer noted.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-visa-run-destination-Kuala-Lumpur-stops-issuing-12-month-non-imm-B-visas-20938.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-05-04

“It is the Kuala Lumpur embassy policy not to issue 12-month
non-immigrant B visas anymore. Now we issue only three-month
non-immigrant B visas,” she said.

“We suggest that people apply for a one-year permit-to-stay in Thailand instead,” Ms Orawan said.

If a more stupid statement was possible, I never heard one.

How on earth can a 1 year permit to stay ( I assume she means extension of stay) be an appropriate and legal alternative to a Business Visa ??

Edited by technologybytes

Title on main page says "BREAKING" yet: Embassy official Orawan Heemmamhad confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the embassy in the Malaysian capital stopped issuing 12-month business visas late last year. Hardly "breaking"

Because it allows you to live and work in Thailand legally for a year.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not true at all. You always need a work permit to work.

You didn't understand his comment. Of course you need a WP, but you need a business visa to get a WP and there are two primary ways to obtain and keep a B visa. The extension the embassy is suggesting people get has more difficult requirements to fulfill, such as amount of capital, length of time business is established, and tax, which is why so many people like to get the one year outside Thailand every year then do a border run every 90 days which the 1 year visa obtained outside of Thailand requires. The one year extensions don't require the 90 days entry/exit, but you have to get a re-entry permit before you leave in order to keep the visa "alive".

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

You didn't understand his comment. Of course you need a WP, but you need a business visa to get a WP and there are two primary ways to obtain and keep a B visa. The extension the embassy is suggesting people get has more difficult requirements to fulfill, such as amount of capital, length of time business is established, and tax, which is why so many people like to get the one year outside Thailand every year then do a border run every 90 days which the 1 year visa obtained outside of Thailand requires. The one year extensions don't require the 90 days entry/exit, but you have to get a re-entry permit before you leave in order to keep the visa "alive".

I do understand his comment, but it's not relevant in this context.

The reason I say it's not relevant, is because many people (myself included, hence my interest) obtain a 12 month (and hence multiple entry) Business Visa for the specific purpose of being able to come and go within a 12 month period and conduct business here on behalf of a overseas business. In my example a 12 month Business Visa is the correct and only appropriate class of visa.

If someone wants to apply for a work permit, then my understanding (and please accept my apology if this understanding is wrong) is that they can get a single entry (3 month) business visa and apply for a work permit and extension of stay on arrival. That would be appropriate for someone who intends to work in Thailand, in my circumstance (and I suspect many others like me) I do NOT WISH TO WORK, and I don't want an extension of stay either, I just want to be able to come and go as I please and conduct business whilst I'm here, hence my 12 month business visa.

The reason I say it's not relevant, is because many people (myself included, hence my interest) obtain a 12 month (and hence multiple entry) Business Visa for the specific purpose of being able to come and go within a 12 month period and conduct business here on behalf of a overseas business. In my example a 12 month Business Visa is the correct and only appropriate class of visa.

If someone wants to apply for a work permit, then my understanding (and please accept my apology if this understanding is wrong) is that they can get a single entry (3 month) business visa and apply for a work permit and extension of stay on arrival. That would be appropriate for someone who intends to work in Thailand, in my circumstance (and I suspect many others like me) I do NOT WISH TO WORK, and I don't want an extension of stay either, I just want to be able to come and go as I please and conduct business whilst I'm here, hence my 12 month business visa.

You still have the option to get a 3 month visa that you need to extend for one year on site with a work permit and then taking a multiple re-entry permit.

I think Kuala Lumpur embassy is right, they should deliver multiple entry visa only to Malays, if you really are working for an oversea company you should get your multiple entry visa from the embassy where your company is originally located, makes plenty of sense to me.

They seem to be talking about those living in Thailand with work permits making application for visas in a third country. Not about business travelers.

Yes what about those of us that live here but don't work. I'm about to apply (in 90 days time) for my 4th 1 year multiple entry non imm B visa.

I'll be sending a new passport to Hull for it though as my current UK passport is full (2 blank pages or 4 sides left).

If it is going to be an issue I might consider applying for an education visa for the next year, although I'm unsure what that will me to do. Are Education visas Multiple Entry?

I don't want to have to go to immigration every 90 days, but I do want to be able to fly out of Bangkok whenever I feel like a visit to family in Hong Kong. I also don't want to go to Thai classes, I prefer to learn on my own in my own time.

Thanks for any advice.

OK, now I understand that someone in your position could be inconvenienced. I assume you're an expat living in KL? If so, then there might be a special case in which they could do it for you, as I assume they can for Malays. If you're not living in KL, then just get the visa in the country you do reside in.

Why do they stop/change visas all the time down there? Every few months it's something else!

Because, basically they don't want you here! They want to make things as difficult as possible to persuade you that it's better to stay at home.

Of course, your money is more than welcome!

thats exactly the point.they want only our money!

we should do the same kind of stupid business or whatever visa for thais all over the world, but our politics are also stupid.

• Like 1

You still have the option to get a 3 month visa that you

need to extend for one year on site with a work permit and then taking a

multiple re-entry permit.

I think Kuala Lumpur embassy

is right, they should deliver multiple entry visa only to Malays, if

you really are working for an oversea company you should get your

multiple entry visa from the embassy where your company is originally

located, makes plenty of sense to me.

Why only to Malays?

Immigration has been busy trying to close loop holes in other government agencies that undermine its ability to set rules. The Foreign Ministry is a big target as in this story. The Labour Ministry is another as in the case of preventing them from issue WPs without 4 Thai employees to those like PRs or extensions based on marriage, who don't need to come to them for one year extensions of NON-IMM B visas. They seem to have been quite successful.

So, getting the subject back on track,

My understanding is that us 'farang' who require a Non B visa, have the following 2 choices:

Hong Kong

Penang

Seeing as Penang is the less expensive option, Does anyone have recent experience at the Thai consulate in Georgetown?

Can you pick up the new visa on the same day you put in the application? (was not able to do in KL).

The thai government/ Penang website does not have English language!!!! - priceless

Ed- Can you publish the useful info on Thaivisa please? There will be thousands of greatful readers.

You still have the option to get a 3 month visa that you

need to extend for one year on site with a work permit and then taking a

multiple re-entry permit.

I think Kuala Lumpur embassy

is right, they should deliver multiple entry visa only to Malays, if

you really are working for an oversea company you should get your

multiple entry visa from the embassy where your company is originally

located, makes plenty of sense to me.

Why only to Malays?

Because the embassy is in Malaysia, makes sense that if you are actually working for an oversea company you need to report to them eventually.

I had no problem getting my B visa and 1 year extension as I am working for a Thai based company.

If I was working for lets say a French company asking me to come over in Thailand to do business it would make sense that the multiple entry visa should be delivered by a Thai embassy located in France as it would be easier for the said embassy to verify that what I am asking is the real deal.

Anyway this is not new, since already 6 month KL embassy is asking for a work permit beforehand to provide a multiple entry visa.

Why do they stop/change visas all the time down there? Every few months it's something else!

Because, basically they don't want you here! They want to make things as difficult as possible to persuade you that it's better to stay at home.

Of course, your money is more than welcome!

thats exactly the point.they want only our money!

we should do the same kind of stupid business or whatever visa for thais all over the world, but our politics are also stupid.

Do you know how hard it is for a Thai to get a visa for your country before speaking?

I know in my country it is far more difficult than getting a visa for Thailand for me, and thats just for a simple tourist visa, cant even start to imagine how messy it is for a work visa....

It is not like we didnt had any option to stay in Thailand :

- Student visa 1 year

- Marriage visa 1 year

- Retirement visa 1 year

- Double entry tourist visa 6 month

- Work visa with work permit up to 2 years in some cases

I can understand that they dont want permanent tourists, no country does.

• Like 1

So, getting the subject back on track,

My understanding is that us 'farang' who require a Non B visa, have the following 2 choices:

Hong Kong

Penang

Seeing as Penang is the less expensive option, Does anyone have recent experience at the Thai consulate in Georgetown?

Can you pick up the new visa on the same day you put in the application? (was not able to do in KL).

The thai government/ Penang website does not have English language!!!! - priceless

Ed- Can you publish the useful info on Thaivisa please? There will be thousands of greatful readers.

did a single entry non B in March . went thru an agent ( 30 MYR over price of visa) turned it in on Tuesday morn, got it back before noon the next day,

Had all the correct paperwork for new wp

Don't know anywhere u can get it same day.

Edited by phuketrichard

The reason is easy, they expect you to get a work permit and an extension of stay from immigration. If you can get a work permit but no extension of stay, you can still get a multiple non-B (if your WP has at least 6 months validity). It seems more to stop misuse of the non-B visa by people who apply for one but don't actually start working.

So that's it. A statement. No explanation why they no longer wish to perform one of the tasks embassies are made for. Tossers.

Embassies are not meant to make your life easier but to regulate immigration, they didnt stop to provide visas as far as I know, they just stopped providing a misused visa.

Like I said I had no problems getting my visa last time I checked in, I also asked for a multiple entry (while I had all the required documents for my non-B visa) and they said : we now provide multiple entry visas oinly to those who are carrying a work permit with 6 or more month of validity. Like Mario2008 said too many people were using the multiple entry not to work but to be permanent tourists in the country.

Once you have a 1 year extension nothing forbid you to buy a multiple re-entry permit from immigration.

Why can't Thailand be like other countries issuing work permits and resident visas?

I can assure you that for a Westerner to get ANY kind of visa to stay in Thailand is 200% easier than for a Thai to get a visa to live in that Westerner's home country!
  • Like 1