A Sweet Chiangmai Story . . .

Rasseru

Although it is not always true --- there are some "grasping people" in Chiang Mai envious of "rich" farang who do take advantage ---I have in several years not run into many. Much of the farang tension seems to be based upon farang ignorance, insecurity and impatience regardless of whether it is at a bike repair shop or at CM's immigration department. I see it among seemingly educated as well as not so educated non-immigrants and casual travelers.

Sometimes I wonder if self-absorbed malcontents, so many of whom post on TV, could be happy anywhere, never mind Chiang Mai or Thailand! That is very sad. It is also unfortunately sad that their ill-natured, frightened misanthropic odour affects farangs at large who do have some maturity and common manners, are not nursing hurts from their pasts in other places and are not apparently at peace with themselves and pleased to live in a place where interacting with others is generally a great pleasure.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

Nice story, Rasseru. Although I haven't spent as much time in Thailand as you folks it was my experience over 6 months that Thai people outside the obvious "hotspots" are very helpful. I thought it might be because I am a farang woman, but maybe it's just that Thais are basically nice people. Before I bought my own motorbike I had rentals that sometimes had flats. There was always a Thai nearby to help me get it repaired for very little cost.

• Like 1

Reading these few stories about the good Thais i thought about that great scene in Gran Torino where Clint Eastwood is sitting in the kitchen of his Hmong neighbours house and he is getting fed and fussed over and his commentary says something like how these people make him feel and treat him better than his own family and people do. I can't remember the exact words but i have often felt the same when i have Thais going out of their way to be some of the most decent people i have ever encountered.

Edited by xen
  • Like 1

In my 47yrs visiting/living, on and off, in Thailand, I have met many many decent friendly helpfull Thais and only a handfull of bad ones and those few on the tourist trail having had years of dealing with obnoxious farangs.