How Many Of You Eat Thai Food 3x A Day?

h5n1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I LIVED IN BKK FOR 1 YEAR, EATING THAI FOR EVERY MEAL. WHEN I RETURNED HOME I HAD LOST 15 POUNDS.

ANOTHER BENEFIT OF EATING THAI FOOD......NO STOMACH DISCOMFORT. I WAS ALWAYS GETTING SICK IN THE USA.....MANY TRIPS TO BATHROOM. IT TURNS OUT I WAS ALLERGIC TO DAIRY AND WHEAT.....RARE INGREDIENTS IN THAI DIET.

ONE YEAR LATER BACK IN THE US I HAVE REGAINED THE 15 POUNDS AND AM SICK AGAIN!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
i used to eat street food all the time , but lately i rarely touch the stuff , if i eat thai food it will be in a restaurant , khaw gaeng shop or ahaan tham sang tin table type of place. i rarely eat from the carts these days.

the quality of street food has taken a huge tumble in the past few years .

as prices have gone up so the quality of the ingredients has gone down. the massive use of hormones and antibiotics and dyes in meats and the use of illegal chemicals and insecticides in the production of fruit and veg. now has me buying and eating organic wherever possible.

the cheaper the food , the more chemically enhanced and coloured it is , and the street food is the cheapest of the lot.

most street food is poorly and unhygenically prepared compared with a few years ago.

if you see where the carts come from each day and where and how the days food is pre-prepared then you might alter your eating habits too.

if the mae khaa is over 40 years old then you might get a hygienic and properly prepared dish , if they are any younger than that , well , i would walk on.

street food in thailand used to be wonderful , now its almost dangerous , at least in bangkok.

things might be a little more traditional out in the sticks.

I've only been coming here on vacation twice a year since 2004 and even I noticed a decrease in

quality this year in street food. Come on Thais.! The fish remains good however( common Thais often eat it)...but what happened to the chicken!? Sadly this may be a universal thing until people rise up and put greed

out of business. In Korea good street food stopped about ten years ago... :o

I've heard one theory that blames chinese import of bad chicken that is actually cheaper than local

products!

Edited by BugJackBaron

i used to eat street food all the time , but lately i rarely touch the stuff , if i eat thai food it will be in a restaurant , khaw gaeng shop or ahaan tham sang tin table type of place. i rarely eat from the carts these days.

the quality of street food has taken a huge tumble in the past few years .

as prices have gone up so the quality of the ingredients has gone down. the massive use of hormones and antibiotics and dyes in meats and the use of illegal chemicals and insecticides in the production of fruit and veg. now has me buying and eating organic wherever possible.

the cheaper the food , the more chemically enhanced and coloured it is , and the street food is the cheapest of the lot.

most street food is poorly and unhygenically prepared compared with a few years ago.

if you see where the carts come from each day and where and how the days food is pre-prepared then you might alter your eating habits too.

if the mae khaa is over 40 years old then you might get a hygienic and properly prepared dish , if they are any younger than that , well , i would walk on.

street food in thailand used to be wonderful , now its almost dangerous , at least in bangkok.

things might be a little more traditional out in the sticks.

I've only been coming here on vacation twice a year since 2004 and even I noticed a decrease in

quality this year in street food. Come on Thais.! The fish remains good however( common Thais often eat it)...but what happened to the chicken!? Sadly this may be a universal thing until people rise up and put greed

out of business. In Korea good street food stopped about ten years ago... :o

I've heard one theory that blames chinese import of bad chicken that is actually cheaper than local

products!

I'm getting fatter by the day and eating Thai food 5 x day (like the locals in Issan) although it is probably somrthing to do with the fact that every meal is accompanied by 1 or 2 large Leos to stave off the boredom...................

Eating Thai food 95% of the time when in Thailand. For me Sum tam OR POK, POK AS SOMETIMES CALLED. is my favourite of all time really spicy hot.

Eating Thai food also plays a big part in my humor my body does not feel as stressed as when I eat western food.

As a consequence I now only eat heavy western food like steak, hamburgers probably once every 2-3 months .

Have no need for western food when in Thailand.

I'm getting fatter by the day and eating Thai food 5 x day (like the locals in Issan) although it is probably somrthing to do with the fact that every meal is accompanied by 1 or 2 large Leos to stave off the boredom...................

Yeah, the Leos might be a factor! :o

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I came to Thailand around 5 years ago a big fan of Thai food. In fact it was one of the reasons I relocated to LOS. But I have tired of it, find most of it greasy, too sweet or too hot. Most of all my in-laws in Isaan have really put me off the food there. I simply cannot eat the fatty grisly meat bits they serve at every meal. Any offer to buy food or to cook it is met with a polite refusal, so I exist mostly on rice and whatever fruit and vegetables happen to be in season and grown on the farm. One evening I was startled by the most vile smell and discovered that uncle Sai was stir frying some bugs he had found in the garden. Cooking them delivered this putrid odour throughout the house and I nearly had to go outdoors. Then he proceeded to sit and enjoy his bugs, mashing them into sticky rice and licking his fingers.

I also think it is very unhealthy to fry food in palm oil.

I have, at the other end of the scale, enjoyed what is known as "royal Thai cuisine" but it is very expensive, too costly for everyday consumption.

So, I eat western food most of the time and enjoy it. I also like Chinese food and Indian food. My favourite cuisine however, is Vietnamese. I simply LOVE it.

Yeah one girl I work with is on a diet, I told her that maybe you should eat rice as all the asian girls eat it and they always thin, she said her doctor said that rice actually makes you fat because it has some bullsh1t in it.

Personally I think rice doesnt make you fat as my fiancee eats bags full of the stuff and weight about as heavy as my bicep

Rice is a pure carbohydrate...it converts to glucose which we use as

energy. If we don't use it as energy it is stored as fat. That is a simplified

explanation of why her doctor is correct.

She is not fat probably(there are always exceptions) because she

is young and therefore has a high metabolism.

For Westerners it is the same thing only with bread instead of rice.

Wait until she is 25-40... :o

I have seen this both in Thailand and Korea(also a rice based culture)

they all look cute when young but hange rapidly after 25 or so..

I recommend all girlfriends to go Atkins or paleodiet after 20 :D

Atkins??? So bad breath, BO and constipation (and a whole host of other health problems) is okay?!? I'd prefer a slightly chubby healthy girl!

Well, I lost 4 kg after reducing rice and bread..that to me is the essence of

Atkins..and no probs with constipation..Doctors seem to be continually surprised

at how well Atkins and Paleodiet really work..

Atkins??? So bad breath, BO and constipation (and a whole host of other health problems) is okay?!? I'd prefer a slightly chubby healthy girl!

Atkins..and no probs with constipation..Doctors seem to be continually surprised

Reducing your cals through reducing carbs is not atkins as long as you're not cutting out carbs. This can be a good way to reduce calories. But remember it's about the quality and not necessarily the quantity of the calories that counts!

Reducing your cals through reducing carbs is not atkins as long as you're not cutting out carbs. This can be a good way to reduce calories. But remember it's about the quality and not necessarily the quantity of the calories that counts!

You lost me...it is imposible in fact to cut ALL carbs..as even meat contains mini-amounts..

I try more to do paleo anyway but it shares a distrust with Atkins for any carbohydrate

but allows natural ones such as in fruits. As little grains as possible..I use this

as a guideline not a religious tenant..

www.paleodiet.com for more info

Food combination is one of the best and easiest diets I have ever tried. Basically don't mix you carbs and protein in one meal - especially processesed carbs like pasta. So a lasangne is out of the question! :o

ps also, you must eat you're meals 4 hours apart. It does work though!

Tutsi, we're with you. My husband seems to despise all Thai food except noodle soup, and then that can't have any of the pork or chicken or fish balls in it. He wonders why everything has to be so spicy when that level of spiciness doesn't add flavor, it just burns your mouth. The smell of fish sauce makes him nauseous. The one meal he likes at the food court of the mall is the Korean Barbeque...not a Thai dish at all. Of course, we do live in Isaan and can't get the more tasty central and northern Thai cooking here.

We live on western food. He cooks his own eggs and bacon for breakfast every day, while I have an untoasted muesli mixed with plain yogurt. Lunch and dinner either I cook or we eat out. We eat Thai food only on rare occasions.

Tutsi, we're with you. My husband seems to despise all Thai food except noodle soup, and then that can't have any of the pork or chicken or fish balls in it. He wonders why everything has to be so spicy when that level of spiciness doesn't add flavor, it just burns your mouth. The smell of fish sauce makes him nauseous. The one meal he likes at the food court of the mall is the Korean Barbeque...not a Thai dish at all. Of course, we do live in Isaan and can't get the more tasty central and northern Thai cooking here.

We live on western food. He cooks his own eggs and bacon for breakfast every day, while I have an untoasted muesli mixed with plain yogurt. Lunch and dinner either I cook or we eat out. We eat Thai food only on rare occasions.

there's a few thai dishes that I eat when at home; larb (pork, well cooked), stir fried green beans with pork, etc but I suspect most of it is prepared for my benefit and just happens to appeal to the family as well...there's usually a bit of a party atmosphere anyway when I come home on leave, crates of Chang, big pots of steamed prawns when available, loads of ready cooked roast chicken from a vendor by the market and I usually do some ribs in the oven that everyone enjoys and there will always be a bit of kwiteo or pad thai from Nan's food stall or SEVEN ELEVEN HOT DOGS when folks are too busy or tired to cook...

when I'm home between jobs for an indefinite period keeping fed becomes a struggle; always make sure I got plenty of indian spices at hand brought back in the luggage from the Middle East to ease the effort... :o

I live in Sydney but eat Thai food most days as my wife cooks it. Fantastic food. We very very rarely eat Thai when we go out. It usually Korean or Vietnamese. Thai food in most restaurants is over priced and usually made to farang tastes.ie dul downed(bland). IMHO

I live in Sydney but eat Thai food most days as my wife cooks it. Fantastic food. We very very rarely eat Thai when we go out. It usually Korean or Vietnamese. Thai food in most restaurants is over priced and usually made to farang tastes.ie dul downed(bland). IMHO

Pretty much the same for me. My wife is a fantastic cook and we eat Thais food for 99% of meals. If we go out to a restaurant it is usually for Sushi or Chinese BBQ. We went to a Thai restaurant once and my wife ended up giving pointers on cooking to the owner. :o

Unfortunately I am putting on a fair bit of weight since my wife moved here as she has a habit of buying chips (crisps) and biscuits and ice cream and other unhealthy snack food. I never used to buy these for myself but I tend to lack will power when they are laid out in front of me and I tend to eat more than her.

Pretty much the same for me. My wife is a fantastic cook and we eat Thais food for 99% of meals. If we go out to a restaurant it is usually for Sushi or Chinese BBQ. We went to a Thai restaurant once and my wife ended up giving pointers on cooking to the owner. :o

Unfortunately I am putting on a fair bit of weight since my wife moved here as she has a habit of buying chips (crisps) and biscuits and ice cream and other unhealthy snack food. I never used to buy these for myself but I tend to lack will power when they are laid out in front of me and I tend to eat more than her.

I dont eat ice-cream, chocolate or biscuits anymore. I put it down to when i was younger i used to work on an ice-cream van as a part time job. We could eat anything we wanted there.So probably sickened myself with sweet stuff I love my crisps though. But dont eat as much of them as the flavours in Oz are a bit boring compared to the Uk. IMHO. Though i love my beer, that is the problem. :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

i was backpacking in asia for 2 years and eat nothing but asian food. now back home in Blighty, i still havent eat a westernised meal for 9 months.

no sunday roast for me. its normally chicken curry with rice

• 2 months later...